Crew Pre-season News

Discussion in 'Columbus Crew' started by Missionary, Jan 21, 2009.

1. THOMA GOL

THOMA GOL BigSoccer Supporter

Jul 16, 1999
    Frontier
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  2. JohnJohn

JohnJohn New Member

Dec 11, 2003
    Chino
    Game is Thursday

Tonite the team watches the Aston Villa game

3. crewfighter

crewfighter New Member

Feb 15, 2006
    Claddagh's Roof
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  4. HuntKop

HuntKop Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 15, 2002
    Sulla mia Vespa
    Club:
    ACF Fiorentina
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    "Aye riight lahds.....guun down ta geeza piccy taken with the yank hippy, yeah?"

5. 110toyourleft

110toyourleft Member+

Jan 27, 2007
    Columbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Not a bad reserve side. I think Spearing, Plessis, and Pacheco have seen first team action this year with Plessis maybe even in the Champion's League. Could be wrong off the top of my head, though.

6. Placid Casual

Placid Casual Member+

Apr 2, 2004
    Bentley's Roof
    Gary Ablett?

There's a blast from the past.

7. 9 Rush

9 Rush Member

Sep 9, 2004
    C'bus
    beginning of the end for Liverpool when people liek Ablett came in.

8. kaiser kraut

kaiser kraut New Member

Jun 26, 2001
    Indianapolis
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Let's pressure some people to finally add on some legislation to this bill that in reward for winning MLS Cup, $5 million of the federal stimulus public works money will go into fixing the State Fair Grounds parking situation adjacent to Columbus Crew Stadium.

**sorry, didn't see Punch's similar post**

9. patricksp

patricksp 91.9 Crew Fan Rating

Nov 4, 2007
    Columbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I would love to get my hands on the special program that they had printed up. I think it's a shame that the game was called off, they were so excited about the game.

10. PVancouver

PVancouver Member

Apr 1, 1999
  11. THOMA GOL

Jul 16, 1999
    Frontier
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    hmmmm I saw quite a few sentences with "crosses" in them. Just like the coach when he played, hmmmmmm. Gut feeling tells me this team will be even more of an offensive beast this year.

I wonder how many googoo-eyed Euro scouts were around (for Rogers in particular)

12. Scotty

Scotty Member+

Dec 15, 1999
    Toscana
    They mostly wanted to get their photo taken with him because they had never seen someone with a suntan before.

13. Dave Brull

Dave Brull Member

Mar 9, 2001
    Mayfield Hts, Ohio
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I wonder if it was an extra dagger to Liverpool that the Crew's coach used to be a Toffee.

14. THOMA GOL

Jul 16, 1999
    Frontier
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Frankie is a freak, true.

15. crewfighter

crewfighter New Member

Feb 15, 2006
    Claddagh's Roof
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Lol, haha true.

16. cleazer

cleazer Member+

May 6, 2003
    Toledo, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    http://blackandgoldstandard.com/?p=1114
    Duncan Oughton played!

Once again, that's clearly our first team.

So have we given up hope on Adam Moffat being ready to play anytime soon?

17. ThreeC

ThreeC Member

Jan 23, 2008
    Cowbellumbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    would you take Moffat over Ekpo anyways? i'm not sure which i would choose.

18. 110toyourleft

110toyourleft Member+

Jan 27, 2007
    Columbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm not partial either way really (Moffat vs. Ekpo) but doesnt Robert have a repuation for being on the attack? Not surprised why Ekpo is in there unless Moffat isnt totally fit.

Still, bench options of: Moffat, Iro, Noonan, Garey, Lenhart would probably all be starting elsewhere in MLS, for the most part.

19. cleazer

cleazer Member+

May 6, 2003
    Toledo, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Not trying to bash him, but Ekpo gave away a lot of passes last year and ended a lot of our attacks. If we're going to play him in central midfield, he can't do that anymore.

He definitely isn't.

20. Foosinho

Foosinho New Member

Jan 11, 1999
    New Albany, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It really was.

This was a young team, tho. Of the guys who had first-team bios, all but two were born in 1990 - and the two that weren't were born in 88. So, I'd be careful about taking too much away from it.

21. HSH_b

HSH_b New Member

Feb 28, 2008
    Cbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Some of the greatest most fascinating players in the world right now are below the age of 23.... and the likes of Liverpool and Everton probably are cultivating players with high potential.

Obviously there is a difference between the U18's and the 1st team starters, but taking a 7-1 advantage over Liverpool and Everton bodes well for our boys. Especially with the players that scored and the production it sounds like we are getting out of our wings and forwards.

Houston better be prepared for an onslaught because watching them get manhandled the other night it looks like they aren't able to deal with a quality attack like the Crew.:D

22. Minnman

Minnman Member+

Feb 11, 2000
    Columbus, OH, USA
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    A blissfully calm off-season, but Moffatt's inability to regain match fitness thus far is one story that has my attention. All I've read are two short blurbs on Shawn's blog:

This from 2/16

--Adam Moffat has not played but his return from season-ending knee surgery is progressing.

The plan all along has been for him to play his first game in England, where the Crew will journey next week and take on the reserve teams from Liverpool and Everton.

“We knew before we started that Adam was not going to play in the first few games,” Warzycha said. “He’s not ready yet and we don’t want to throw him in and risk another injury. He doesn’t have to make this team. He is on this team. We know he is a good player.”

And this from March 1

--Adam Moffat did not play. I was impressed with the relative swiftness of his recovery from knee surgery last fall but it seems to have stalled out this winter.

It would be nice to get some more news on where he stands. IMO, we need the kid on the pitch, not just for this season, but because I see him taking on a bigger role down the line when we eventually lose an impact player or two. Every minute he can spend playing along side Guille will be golden.

23. bradd

bradd Member

Jun 11, 2008
    Detroit, MI
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    16 days until Crewsmas and the destruction of the Dynamo. I would love to see a statement made and have us thrash them 4 - Nil or something along those lines. Send a clear message to MLS.

24. JohnJohn

JohnJohn New Member

Dec 11, 2003
    Chino
  25. jackmann

jackmann Member

Feb 24, 2007
    Cowtown
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I guess I see the Moffat situation is that if conditions were good he would probably play his first game in England. Since it looked like everything has been pretty wet and soggy over there do you really want his first game back being played in those conditions. He'll have to play in those conditions soon but would probably not be prudent for his first game off of Knee surgery... imo