Ronaldo vs Messi

Discussion in 'The Beautiful Game' started by Twix, Jan 21, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Twix

Twix New Member

Apr 28, 2007
    [​IMG]

Well, I can't believe this thread hasn't been made already...

Just to recap on 2008:

Cristiano Ronaldo was El Feugo in the business end of the club season, as he won the PL and the CL, while finishing as top goalscorer in both competitions. In that time, Messi was recovering from a muscle tear injury and was understandably, not at the peak of his powers and struggled to regain the form he had prior to his injury.

In the summer, Ronaldo showed himself to be one of Portugal's top players in Euro '08 but didn't recreate his form at club level, while Messi shone in Argentina's Olympic triumph, showing himself to be one of the tourney's best players.

In what can be seen as a role-reversal, this time it was Ronaldo who was sidelined. Due to his ankle injury, he missed pre-season and the beginning of the season for United and hasn't regained his 07/08 form, while Messi has been spitting fire, taking on all comers and is in the best form of his career.

-----

Anyways I've seen this Ronaldo/Messi debate consume several other threads so I'd thought it be best to start a seperate thread.

The purpose of this thread is mainly to discuss who's the better player at the moment, compare their strengths and weaknesses and to speculate on how both of them will be percieved in 10-15 years.

I think just about everyone can appreciate how wonderful both of them are, and hopefully, this thread won't descend into an tiresome pissing contest between Ronaldo and Messi fanboys.

So, um, have at it.

2. WhiteBlood

WhiteBlood BigSoccer Supporter

May 31, 2006
    Kuwait
    Yeah, Messi.
    He's having as good if not better a season than the one Ronaldo had last year & at this rate he will score just as many, if not more.
    Ronaldo was the better player last season, because like Teso in his siggy likes to keep reminding us Messi didnt exactly play much.
    This season, different story.
    Easy answer from me, RM fan or not the little Argentine comes out ontop 10/10.

3. LeoMessi

LeoMessi New Member

Jan 11, 2009
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Like WhiteBlood said

4. aguimarães

aguimarães Member

Apr 19, 2006
    Club:
    LD Alajuelense
    As to not rub salt in the wound (FIFA ¨Player¨of the Year.)

Messi gets the nod for me, and I´m waiting impatiently for South Africa 2010 so this can finally be laid to rest.

5. jpick

jpick Member

Jul 5, 2006
    jacksonville, FL
    Club:
    AC Milan
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    to be fair to ronaldo, he plays on portugal and won't have near the supporting cast messi will have with argentina, when on paper argentina is just behind spain as the favorites (obviously in the next year and a half things can change, but looking ahead going forward) portugal will probably be 8-9 best on paper.

with that being said, messi has made the leap it seems. all competitions counted, he is on pace to have a 40 goal, 20 assist season...and we thought 42 and 8 was nuts.

6. Pekerman

Pekerman Member+

May 20, 2006
    Messi was always the superior talent, Ronaldo's fluke season doesn't change anything.

7. pramos

pramos New Member

Apr 28, 2008
    New Jersey
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    Ronaldo didnt have a fluke season, he has been considered one of the best for the last 3 or 4 years sooner or later he was going to be the best...Its is very hard to say who is better messi might have a great season this year and next year could be ronaldo again, but they are in a category of there own i think even the likes of Kaka has fallen a little bit out of the Messi / Ronaldo world.....this is the only reason id want to see Ronaldo on Real to see the 2 play each other....

8. Dr. Know

Dr. Know Member+

Dec 5, 2005
    Macondo
    I dunno if 40/20 but 30+/20 is definitely possible. As it stands he has 21/10.

Also this is a great stat:

[​IMG]

9. Karloski

Karloski Member+

Oct 26, 2006
    England
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Well if we're going on current form, it's obviously Messi.

If they were both on top form it's slightly more difficult. I'd say Messi was better at beating players with the ball at his feet, and probably the better team player. Ronaldo is faster and unbeleivably good in the air. I also think Ronaldo has the capability to be the more versatile player (traditional winger, support striker or centre forward).

If I really had to choose who in time will be remembered as the better player....I think Messi edges it.

Oh, and just in case Sir Alex reads these forums. Stop letting Ronaldo take all the free kicks, a 1 in 50 return is not good.

10. jpick

jpick Member

Jul 5, 2006
    jacksonville, FL
    Club:
    AC Milan
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    well, yeah it is a stretch and he has to stay healthy, but he has 21/10 now through 23 matches right now and if barcelona goes deep in cl and copa del rey, he could play in 25+ matches the rest of the season (even taking some rests), which would put him at 43 and 21 if he maintains the same pace...

obviously, there are some assumptions in there that might not come to pass and he has to maintain his incredible form and stay fit, but i think say 38/18 is quite probable and still pretty amazing

11. Perú FC

Perú FC Member+

Nov 16, 2007
    Lima, Perú
    Right now I think Messi is the best, if they have in their top performances I'm still keep the Argentine and I believe Messi will be better in the future (but the last is only a impression).

Definitely I think Ronaldo was the best player of the 2008, but if I'd have to choose between them to sign in my own team, I'd choose Messi.

12. phil80

phil80 Member

Aug 25, 2007
    Is there really any comparison right now? Messi by a country mile and has been since May.

13. tadm123

tadm123 Member

Mar 26, 2008
    Club:
    Sporting Cristal Lima
    Messi by a large Margin and this season he has 20 goals in 22 games, without taking penalties (maybe 1) and freekicks , unlike Ronaldo last season.

14. Dr. Know

Dr. Know Member+

Dec 5, 2005
    Macondo
    21 goals.

15. Twix

Twix New Member

Apr 28, 2007
    Wow.

So, no-one's seems to be taking Ronaldo's injury and new role into consideration? When Ronaldo was tearing it up, you couldn't praise him without being reminded "Well, if Messi didn't get injured blah blah" as nauseum, but now it's on the other foot everyone seems content to put Messi heads and shoulders over Ronaldo based on only 5 months of football.

I mean, "fluke season" and "country mile". That's hater talk right there.

Messi's on course to have a fantastic season, but it's sad people seem so eager (almost happy, even) to write off Ronaldo so quickly.

16. Dr. Know

Dr. Know Member+

Dec 5, 2005
    Macondo
    Well the difference is that despite having to deal with multiple injuries Messi was always playing at a high level, always showing up when it mattered.

Ronaldo on the other hand has been underperforming for most of the season.

17. yasik19

yasik19 Moderator
    Staff Member

Chelsea
    Ukraine
    Oct 21, 2004
    Daly City
    Ronaldo vs Messi is the new Lampard vs Gerrard. :D

I'm copywriting this phrase.

18. Big Soccer Member

Jan 16, 2008
    Surrey, England
    Club:
    Newcastle United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Stop calling it a fluke. He was just as good the season before and got into the Premier League team of the season the year before that. This fluke claim has been defeated many times over on different threads. Ronaldo is clearly one of the best players.

Messi is better though. He was always more talented that Cristiano, it was just a matter of time before his development curve surpassed Ronaldo's. It has well and truly done that now and therefore, despite Ronaldo's heroics last year, Messi is better.

19. Big Soccer Member

Jan 16, 2008
    Surrey, England
    Club:
    Newcastle United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Ronaldo this year has all been about confidence. He was unconfident originally with recovering from his injury. Then he gained some confidence, went on an 07/08 season type of form for 6 or 7 games. For no reason whatsoever, the media and the crowd turned on him in November. His confidence dropped and so did his form. Recently, the media hate has cooled, the Man United fans have started singing 'Viva Ronaldo' again and his form has improved.

The first half of this season can be a complete right off for Ronaldo due to extreme circumstances. He will come good and will keep performing consistantly and when it matters; contrary to what your post suggests. (Messi is still better though).

20. Pekerman

Pekerman Member+

May 20, 2006
    Poor Ronaldo can't handle one single injury? Confidence shot ? let me get my violin out. This excuse is not valid, he had ample time to recover. I think he is just regressing to his normal level.

21. erick

erick Member

Dec 6, 2007
    Bama Nation
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    .c.ronaldo by far :D...[​IMG].

[​IMG]

22. phil80

phil80 Member

Aug 25, 2007
    The disparity has been since last may so this includes european championship, and this season he has played enough games. With messi even when he was out for awhile he still played at an exceptional level upon returning, it is not hater talk, it is reality, there is no comparison between them nor has there been for the last 8 months or so.

23. Big Soccer Member

Jan 16, 2008
    Surrey, England
    Club:
    Newcastle United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    That's actually a brilliant point. Ever since the signing of Berbatov, Ronaldo has been a different player. He used to dynamically drift and sprint all over the field, causing havoc to each and every one of the opposing defenders through a combinatation of finding space, direct dribbling, link up play, running in behind and getting wide. Now, he is restricted to staying wide only. Literally, all he does now is pick up the ball, commit the defender and then lay it off to the central mids or knock it to the overlapping full back before getting in the box for a header. He is playing a completely differerent position now and we must take that into account. If Messi was restricted just as much as Ronaldo was he would be playing to Ronaldo's level now too.
    Below is a typical Ronaldo performance in the last two years. With his position change he will find it difficult to get anywhere near this again.

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxtL-lYUcg

24. phil80

phil80 Member

Aug 25, 2007
    another game, another solid performance by messi. The ronaldo fanboys have really quieted down recently...

25. KumarsS

KumarsS Member

Jul 10, 2007
    Champaign, IL
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Further evidence that United must switch to a Rooney-Berbatov-Ronaldo frontline. Cristiano Ronaldo is an amazing player, but a wide midfielder he is not.