Rongen Names 19 Players to Travel to Trinidad & Tobago

Discussion in 'Youth National Teams' started by Willy23, Jan 12, 2009.

1. Willy23

Willy23 Member

Dec 11, 2006
    Connecticut
    http://www.ussoccer.com/articles/viewArticle.jsp_12255237.html

2. bshredder

bshredder BigSoccer Supporter

Feb 23, 1999
    Club:
    Millwall FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Interesting to see that none of the suspended players made it back but it's still too early to tell if this roster selection means they are in the doghouse. Maybe they are just staying with their clubs?

Who exactly is the team playing in Trinidad?

Is this the last U20 Camp before CONCACAF Qualifying in March?

3. Sandon Mibut

Sandon Mibut Member+

Feb 13, 2001
    What's with the Canadian kid?

And note to the guys at the USSF: The Falls on the Ontario-New York border is spelled N-i-a-g-a-r-a.

4. Pagefan

Pagefan Member

Aug 28, 2001
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Nice to see the return of Felix Garcia. The omission of all the guys kicked out of the last camp is worrisome.

5. Clint Eastwood

Clint Eastwood Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    I'm not worried. Perhaps he knows what those guys can do, and he's testing some other players. If there's one thing Rongen's been very good at, it's looking at as many players as possible each cycle. Hell I'm not completely positive if those players are as good as other options. They probably are due to their club positions, but it's not like I've seen them play extensively.

Does anybody know if Kofi Opare is related to the former Ghanaian national team player named, coincidentally, Kori Opare?

6. DaPrince84

DaPrince84 Member+

Aug 22, 2001
    MD
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    no Ibrahim?

7. Pagefan

Pagefan Member

Aug 28, 2001
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    No Flores, either. Maybe Rongen is trying new players, but there are a few regulars (Wallace, Davies, Cruz, Balchan). Speaking of Cruz, interesting that Marosevic is not named, considering they're both entering MLS.

8. Clint Eastwood

Clint Eastwood Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    I believe Flores has been called up more than any other player this cycle. (Could be wrong)

So if there's one player Rongen already knows its Flores.

Personally, I think people read too much into the call-ups for each individual camp. I bet Rongen already knows the majority of the players he wants to use for qualifying. He's just tweaking and taking a last look at some guys, and you might as well see how they fit in with some regulars.

9. Bluecat82

Bluecat82 Member+

Feb 24, 1999
    Minneapolis, MN
    Club:
    Minnesota United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This roster has a Toulon/Camp Cupcake look to it to me...

10. Dave Marino-Nachison

Jun 9, 1999
    There are some surprising names, but Garcia, Balchan, Cruz, Jeffrey, Shea, Davies, Wallace and Perk all seem like pretty safe bets to be on the qualifying roster based on past and recent callups. That's almost half of this group.

Johnson, Watson and Maund all seem to have impressed at the recent Florida camp since they were called back in for a second time. And Townsend had a heck of a year for the national champs as a freshman.

But then, of course, some of these guys actually were at Toulon so maybe you're right! With that said, yes, we (perhaps most of all me) probably do overanalyze these.

In fact, I posted an overanalysis thread earlier today...

https://www.bigsoccer.com/forum/showthread.php?t=910835

;)

11. rct2009

rct2009 Member

Aug 22, 2006
    NY/Bloomington, IN
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    didnt aaron maund play for trinidad and tobago in the u-17 world cup?? was he born in america, and just has trinidadian parents?

12. scluez

scluez New Member

Jan 13, 2009
    Club:
    FC Internazionale Milano
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    I know and played against kofi opare,he was born in ghana and moved to the US at a young age.He moved to Niagara falls ,Canada after his mother got a job in Canada 3 years ago. His team st catharines concord is the best team in Ontario and one of the best in whole of canada,he is currently in grade 12 and has verbally commited to The University of Michigan. He is a very composed player,whose strengths are his passing,headering and tackling.His physical pressence makes him an intemidating player.

13. Nutmeg

Nutmeg Member+

Aug 24, 1999
    Sweet. Rongen has two countries to pick from where he wants to run this kid off to.

14. bshredder

bshredder BigSoccer Supporter

Feb 23, 1999
    Club:
    Millwall FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    All joking aside.. The problem with going through as many players as Rongen goes through (over 100) is that there is going to be a ton of cuts.

I would still rather have it the way it is though. Good to get as many players into the system even if it means they may get cut.

15. Zoidberg

Zoidberg Member+

Jun 23, 2006
    ...unlike last time.;)

Whose gonna do the bloggin this time around?

16. Dr Jay

Dr Jay BigSoccer Supporter

Aug 7, 1999
    Newton, MA USA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    yes

17. tomásbernal

tomásbernal Member+

Sep 4, 2007
    Club:
    Portland Timbers
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I like the inclusion of Townsend. I don't get many opportunities to watch these young guys play, but I came across Townsend in the Final Four (I didn't know who he was) and was thoroughly impressed with him. I said to my dad, ''what the hell is he doing playing in college?'' Hopefully he won't stay there and languish.

18. Zoidberg

Zoidberg Member+

Jun 23, 2006
    ...and you would be right. Another soccer player, soccer mind. We are getting a few more now compared to the same old same old. Need them up and out as soon as possible.

19. FCmagic01

FCmagic01 Member

Nov 10, 2006
    Bryan Arguez has been removed from the ussoccer.com website. He no longer is listed under the U-20 pool.

If he is dropped then the team loses one of its best players in my opinion.

20. Dave Marino-Nachison

Jun 9, 1999
    Well, that's curious.

http://www.ussoccer.com/common/stContent.jsp_79-2009U20MNT.html

Don't want to make too much of it, but still it's interesting.

Nazzani and Bernardo are still there.

Arguez and Hoyos are not.

Either way, I have a hard time believing they've been told they'll never wear red, white and blue again under any circumstances unless they did something that's soon to appear on the evening news.

And Goff's coverage did say that they wouldn't be kicked out of the pool.

21. Pagefan

Pagefan Member

Aug 28, 2001
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I pointed that out when the story first broke. I am convinced his name used to be on there, but I have no idea why it would be taken off (unless he's not coming back).

22. 32panels

32panels New Member

Oct 28, 2006
    New York
    Does anyone have any info on Felix Garcia's pro soccer prospects? The last I read was that he was interested in going to an MLS team in TX but that Laredo was asking for a transfer fee. Anyone know if this kid is coming into any preseason camps for MLS teams?

Also, for the people who have seen him play more than a few times, how does he compare in skills, talent and athleticism to Peri Marosevic?

23. Peretz48

Peretz48 Member+

Nov 9, 2003
    Los Angeles
  24. pwip

pwip Member

Jul 10, 2004
    Dallas