Expansion City Kit Designs (ARTWORK)

Discussion in 'MLS: Expansion' started by Fenerbace, Dec 20, 2008.

1. DavidP

DavidP Member

Mar 21, 1999
    Powder Springs, GA
    Makos works for me, but people would have a field day pronouncing Tiburones. :D

2. DavidP

DavidP Member

Mar 21, 1999
    Powder Springs, GA

3. MannieG

MannieG Member+

Nov 30, 2006
    Houston
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well, if they're going to be sharks, and with affiliation to FCB then I'd suggest Miami Tauro's (shark in Catalan).

4. drSoFlaFan

drSoFlaFan DEFEND THE FORT!

Feb 25, 2008
    Plantation, FL
    Club:
    Ft Lauderdale Strikers
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That's not bad actually, and there was a Miami Toros in the NASL(became the Strikers later on).

5. alexp92

alexp92 Member

Jul 5, 2007
    just did some on paint.
    timbers
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

6. alexp92

alexp92 Member

Jul 5, 2007
    whitecaps
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

7. alexp92

alexp92 Member

Jul 5, 2007
  8. MannieG

MannieG Member+

Nov 30, 2006
    Houston
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'd love seeing something like that. Ever since the Gals changed their scheme I;ve been wanting to see a diagonal sash like that.

9. KaptPowers

KaptPowers Member

Dec 29, 2003
    Arlington, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Hey if the Miami bid goes with drSoFlaFan's "Tiburones" idea, Hyundai should be the shirt sponsor. They do sell the Tiburon. Cross-promotion!

[​IMG]

EA Sports Orlando branch is "EA Tiburon" a.k.a the guys who do "Madden NFL", maybe a mockup with the EA logo as the shirt sponsor? I know Orlando isn't close to Miami but it is a Florida connection nonetheless.

10. eintracht.19

eintracht.19 New Member

Jun 23, 2008
    Toms River, NJ
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    regardless, the majority of people in new Orleans and Miami speak english, why should a team name appeal to the minority of the population??

Miami heat, Miami dolphins, Florida marlins, Florida panthers

New Orleans saints, new Orleans hornets

St louis cardinals, st louis blues, st louis rams

All other pro sports teams in America feel that English suits them perfectly fine.

11. AdamSoucie

AdamSoucie New Member

Dec 20, 2008
    Orlando, FL
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If the team does go attempt to appeal to a small percentage, it does run the risk of alienating a lot of people. At the same time, I don't think it is going to make that much of a difference, especially if the Barca name is attached. People are going to see games because they are soccer fans, not because the team has an American/English name.

Also, MLS already has a team that specifically targets the Mexican population of a city (from my understanding) in Chivas USA. It seems to be working out for them so far, so who's to say its a bad idea?

12. alexp92

alexp92 Member

Jul 5, 2007
    st louis united

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

13. alexp92

alexp92 Member

Jul 5, 2007
    for a possible mets soccer team.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

14. alexp92

alexp92 Member

Jul 5, 2007
    think there was talk of some kind of atlanta falcons soccer team, last one for now.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

15. AdamSoucie

AdamSoucie New Member

Dec 20, 2008
    Orlando, FL
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Wouldn't that be interesting, having two football teams in Atlanta called the Falcons?

16. NYFC

NYFC Member

Jul 30, 2006
    Brooklyn
    This is pretty good. I like the crest. It doesn't look like it was made currently and has a timeless look. (Unlike most MLS crests) I also like the inclusion of the shark on the crest, but not calling the team the sharks. Very cool. I've always been keen on just keeping the team name Miami FC with orange and blue as the colors though.

17. KaptPowers

KaptPowers Member

Dec 29, 2003
    Arlington, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I don't think Arthur Blank would actually name his soccer franchise, should he land one, the Falcons. I'm sure the NFL would have something to say about it. It wouldn't be the first time two teams in two sports in one city shared a name. The St. Louis Cardinals baseball and football teams from 1960-1987 and the New York football and baseball Giants 1935 to 1957. The football team's legal name is actually the "New York Football Giants". However it would be the first time they'd have the same owner, IIRC, and I think Blank would want the soccer team to have it's own identity. I can see them being named something similar and perhaps even using the same colors (i.e. Patriots/Revolution). Ditto for the supposed Wilpon/Mets soccer team although there were rumors of it being called "Mets FCNY". Personally if you dropped "Mets" from it I like it. The fire department is FDNY already, why not FCNY or the FCNY (insert original nickname).

18. NYFC

NYFC Member

Jul 30, 2006
    Brooklyn
    That might actually be an improvement.

19. drSoFlaFan

Feb 25, 2008
    Plantation, FL
    Club:
    Ft Lauderdale Strikers
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I actually did a set for exactly that scenario a while back(only for a USL rebrand project, not MLS, hence the Umbro kits and new league logo):

[​IMG]

The kits are supposed to resemble firefighters' equipment.

Also, NYFC, it's possible you think my Atlético Miami crest has a timeless look because it ended up being very close to Reading FC's crest(which I was made aware of after the fact), a team founded in 1871: [​IMG]

20. NYFC

NYFC Member

Jul 30, 2006
    Brooklyn
    You think that's working out?!?:eek:

21. NYFC

NYFC Member

Jul 30, 2006
    Brooklyn
    Yeah I noticed that after I went and looked at Reading's. It's near identical. Maybe if you switched it around a little bit.

22. AdamSoucie

AdamSoucie New Member

Dec 20, 2008
    Orlando, FL
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    As a team, all they've done is average at least 14k in attendance in each of their 4 years and made the playoffs in every season except their expansion year. Sure they tanked in Champions League play this year, but every MLS team did (Houston barely got past the group stage), and that issue has already been resolved.

Sure the name is stupid (and is unfortunately inspiring Pachuca's new Orlando USL team), but the team itself is doing well. Isn't that what matters?

23. drSoFlaFan

Feb 25, 2008
    Plantation, FL
    Club:
    Ft Lauderdale Strikers
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I wouldn't say it's the best success story of all time, but CUSA has averaged 16,377 fans for the regular season(18,028 for the playoffs) in it's four years, in a town with another MLS team that happens to have David Beckham and Landon Donovan playing for it. Pretty good if you ask me.

I think the majority of the negative perceptions of CUSA were born out of the early arrogance and promises of their Mexican ownership, and their poor branding decisions. If they had called that team CD Los Angeles(or even better San Diego), and were a little more modest with their objectives from the get go, I don't think anyone would still be doubting their success as a MLS team at this point.

24. NYFC

NYFC Member

Jul 30, 2006
    Brooklyn
    Not talking about the teams performance. But even with that they are a walking contradiction. Coming out of that gate they were going to fill their squad with all Mexican players. Now they're saying they're going to fill it with exclusively American players yet they still want to keep that Walt Disney "Chivas USA" name in some misguided attempt to appeal to Chivas fans across USA as if they won't cheer for them if they're Los Angels specifically? They haven't made any connection with the city they play in. I mean their crest is the seal of Guadalajara! And nobody inflates their attendance figures like Chivas. Reporters have said their were numerous games this year that were in the hundreds. The club is the definition of FAIL. I don't think they would even still be here if it wasn't for the Galaxy giving them a home to play in and 2 good games a year. (Along with when Blanco visits)
    It would be in there best interest to change to CD Los Angeles and give them a crest representative of their city. Of course there's nothing I would like more then the return of the Aztecs. In all honesty I just wish the team would go under and open up a valuable expansion slot so we can add a team like St. Louis that deserves to be in the league, but keeps getting overlooked and will probably not make it in the next round of expansion with Portland and Miami being the favorites.

25. DjTannerr

DjTannerr Member

Dec 3, 1999
    New York/Milwaukee,WI
    back to art...

here are some for you Atlanta folk

Falcons..
    [​IMG]

Apollos..
    [​IMG]

and Resurgence..
    [​IMG]
    not sure about the brown, but it IS different........