Revs Moving?

Discussion in 'New England Revolution' started by Cujo1126, Dec 11, 2008.

1. Cujo1126

Cujo1126 New Member

Mar 23, 2008
    Boston
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  2. RevsLiverpool

RevsLiverpool Member+

Nov 12, 2005
    Boston
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Makes sense, all the signs are there...poor attendance..lack of SSS traction...announcement prior to opening day 2009. If they do move to CT, Hartford wouldn't be that bad. Maybe they will share UCONN's football stadium?

Who knows but I'll support them wherever they end up.

3. Hed7181

Hed7181 Member

Jul 1, 2003
    VA Beach, VA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Let's break it down...

check
    This could possibly be referring to Somerville, but it's pretty vague.
    check (aside from Brasil friendlies and Beckham games)
    note sure about this one, it sounds like the new team will play in an AEG managed stadium.
    new pro grid league? so the new owner wants to start a new American Football team? If it were Krafty, I could see him wanting to keep his place in SUM to rake in those royalties.
    Again, I have no idea about this one either. The new owner wants to also buy a new NHL team on top of the new MLS team and build an arena for the new NHL team. Sounds complicated. The question is, would Krafty want to buy into an NHL team?
    I guess this is possible if the team were to relocate somewhere else in New England, ore maybe I'm misinterpreting 'entirety'.

If it were Kraft, I would have to guess the mystery location is Hartford. isn't the Rent managed by AEG?

4. Mike Marshall

Mike Marshall Member+

Feb 16, 2000
    Woburn, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Already done the leg work on this...

The post is trying to say that the Revs will be sold to the Northlands Investment Group, based out of Hartford.

Northlands manages both Rentschler Field and the Hartford Civic Center in conjunction with AEG. They're rumored to be considering basing a United Football League team out of Rentschler, and they've also proposed building a $250 million arena in order to land a new NHL team.

I still call bullpoopie.

5. DanishDuke

DanishDuke Member

Apr 5, 2006
    Cumberland RI
    Please dont scare me like this...

6. johnh00

johnh00 Member

Apr 25, 2001
    CT, USA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm with you, Mike. The criteria all match Hartford/Northlands. I also don't see it happening. I'd be ecstatic if it did, as it would trim over an hour off my commute, and I'd be able to get full-season tickets for the $$ I currently spend on gas and tickets for a handful of games, but I just don't see it.

7. RevsLiverpool

RevsLiverpool Member+

Nov 12, 2005
    Boston
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm hoping they do. Anything beats the atmosphere generated by 15k supporters (well, primarily The Fort) in a 68k football stadium!

8. JMMUSA8

JMMUSA8 New Member

Nov 3, 2001
    Webster
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well you'd just be going from a ratio of 15K:68K to 10K:40K.

Who was the poster that had a hard on for Hartford? I'm sure he has something to do with this fake email.

9. bwidell

bwidell Member+

Apr 19, 2005
    Manchester, NH
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Gioca.

10. untowardbehavior

Jun 28, 2008
    Massachusetts
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm sure this is fake but I mean, if new people were going to come in and actually run the team properly and keep them in NE I wouldn't really object.

11. revsfan44

revsfan44 Member

Jun 2, 2007
    Providence / Amherst
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    agree. rep'd

12. RevsLiverpool

RevsLiverpool Member+

Nov 12, 2005
    Boston
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

You're suggesting the attendance would drop if they moved to Hartford?
    I'd suggest the opposite. Connecticut lacks pro teams which means it would probably have the "RSL effect", as in drastically improved media coverage compared to the Boston market. The Revs are lucky to get the scraps that fall off the table where the "big four" sit, let's face it. This, in turn, would positively impact attendance (if the new owners revamp their marketing strategy/target audience) as you're drawing on both the team's proximity to both a city and UConn. As long as the new owner's give a rat's ass about the team, I think it could work out positively.

...If it happens.

13. johnh00

johnh00 Member

Apr 25, 2001
    CT, USA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm pretty sure it would drop. I'd be shocked if it went up. There's just not enough people in the greater Hartford area. Soccer doesn't have the market penetration in New England to survive without a fairly large market. RSL didn't have much to compete with. New England is a baseball market in the summer. I'd love to be wrong, but I just don't see it.

14. Hed7181

Hed7181 Member

Jul 1, 2003
    VA Beach, VA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That's the interesting part about it. As strange as it is, no one has expressed regret about this rumor. That has to say something.

15. firstshirt

firstshirt Member+

Bayern München
    United States
    Mar 1, 2000
    Ellington, CT / NK, RI
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I would be sporting wood if that this happened but I highly doubt it. I would venture that the attendance would probably stay about the same for the first year or so then dip to about 12k.

16. Mike Marshall

Mike Marshall Member+

Feb 16, 2000
    Woburn, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Consider this regret...

I'd be done with the Revs if they moved to Hartford.

17. firstshirt

firstshirt Member+

Bayern München
    United States
    Mar 1, 2000
    Ellington, CT / NK, RI
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    or you could make the drive that I have been doing for the past 10 years

18. dcochran

dcochran Member+

Feb 17, 1999
    Vero Beach, FL
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The odds are that this is BS, but, from a Kraft perspective, it's not a terrible scenario. Among NFL owners, Kraft isn't particularly wealthy. He's just made a big bet on Patriot Place. The economy has gone south at a time he may be pretty leveraged with the Pats, the stadium and the shopping center. If his core business is adversely impacted by the recession, he could be facing a cash flow problem and a credit problem. Selling the Revs isn't going to fix that on its own, but standard business practice is to focus on core business and get rid of everything else as a distraction. The dollars spent on Somerville are an easy write-off if he's decided that he doesn't want to get further leveraged by building another stadium.

19. RevsLiverpool

RevsLiverpool Member+

Nov 12, 2005
    Boston
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Pro soccer has failed to gain the foothold in the Boston market that the Kraft's probably expected. As we know, Boston is the most sports-rabid region in the country based on EEI's ratings, the success of the franchises, and the multiple sellout streaks indicating the buying power of the fans. What the Krafts are doing has not been working. Something's got to change and I think that starts with new ownership right down to stadium and the team's marketing strategy.

Repeating something over and over and expecting different results is the definition of insanity - that's what the Revs are doing if they stay in Gillette Stadium much longer and continue the path they are going down. It's a money pit and the Krafts know this.

I hope this rumor proves to be true (my gut says it will be) - if they do it right and market to college/20-somethings like TFC and a lot of other franchises do, you'll see a renewed interest in the franchise, a city that can once again call a team its own, based in the wealthiest state in the nation. For everyone who smells BS, it smells like success to me.

For proof a MLS franchise can succeed in a college town/smaller city, see Cowlumbus.

20. wolfp10

wolfp10 Member

Sep 25, 2005
    I'm not that well connected into the soccer market, but I'll sniff around who I know to see if this has any traction.

21. whowhawhere

whowhawhere New Member

Nov 5, 2008
    If this rumor proves to be true, and it is the Revs making a move, and they do move to Hartford, I can't see myself making the trip to see them play.

22. KevNet

KevNet New Member

Oct 18, 2008
    U.S.
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Not trolling at all, but seriously now it's ABOUT TIME they sell this team. There's nothing exciting going on in that market. No SSS, no hard core fans, no passionate owners, lack of respect for the team in the whole New England area and many more. It's really about time to move the team somewhere and I'm sure the good soccer fans in NE will understand this. We all want the best for MLS and if this does happen it's better for the league.

23. bwidell

bwidell Member+

Apr 19, 2005
    Manchester, NH
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    :rolleyes:

24. JMMUSA8

JMMUSA8 New Member

Nov 3, 2001
    Webster
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So because the Revs haven't gotten air time on EEI like the other 4 teams means the Revs should pack it up and try else where?
    The Krafts have committed to building a soccer stadium for the Revs. They have invested $150,000 for a study, a STUDY. Brian Biello has been quoted saying that the Krafts intend to spend $100 million of their own money to build an urban stadium for the Revs. After all this, why would Bob sell the team? Because he didn't get the Somerville plot? Doesn't sound like the way Kraft does business.
    What college crowd? UConn isn't like Ohio State. Their AHL team doesn't have stellar attendence and is in the bottom third. There is not strong soccer fan base in Hartford. Not only would Kraft not sell the team to Hartford, I think MLS would stop the deal because it will most likely end up with the franchise folding.

Columbus is not between two big sport cities. Columbus has pro franchises and a huge university. Hartford is not Columbus.

25. JMMUSA8

JMMUSA8 New Member

Nov 3, 2001
    Webster
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm glad you know exactly what's going on here. And yes you are trolling so piss off douche.