2009 AFC Champions League

Discussion in 'Asian Football Confederation' started by greenlion, Oct 22, 2008.

1. Koreano

Koreano Member

Jul 5, 2005
    Club:
    Seongnam Ilhwa
    Nat'l Team:
    Korea Republic
    Yes, but for this year since we have 4 spots, the 1st place on regular season team gets automatic qualification to one of those berths.

But Seoul still needs to win 1 match and draw 1 for the remaining matches, and one of them is against Pohang so it'll be a tricky away match.

Suwon and Seongnam still can finish 1st.

2. happy

happy Member

Nov 23, 2004
    Asian players given ACL boost

AFC has opened the opportunity for players from across the continent to play in next season’s revamped AFC Champions League (ACL) by introducing a 3+1 rule for foreign players.

During the 8th meeting of the AFC Professional League Ad Hoc Committee on Thursday, it was decided to allow each ACL team to field a maximum of four foreign players, one of whom must be from an Asian country.

3. Koreano

Koreano Member

Jul 5, 2005
    Club:
    Seongnam Ilhwa
    Nat'l Team:
    Korea Republic
    Good news. But for now only J-League has implemented this and they are the only ones who are gonna benefit from this rule for the time being as all other asian leagues haven't adopted this yet. K-league was gonna do it but the plan never made any progress thus far.

Any Southeast Asian recommendations for the K-League?

4. happy

happy Member

Nov 23, 2004
    There r changes according to fox sports

http://www.foxsports.com.au/story/0,8659,24578225-5012708,00.html

In further news, Jordan, Syria and Kuwait have been cut from the list of nations eligible to enter clubs in the Asian Champions League.

The AFC's Pro-League committee, charged with restructuring the competition, announced the 14 nations that had met the professional and administrative criteria for having clubs in the 2009 competition: Australia, Japan, South Korea, China, Saudi Arabia, United Arab Emirates, Iran, Indonesia, Singapore, Uzbekistan, Qatar, Thailand, Vietnam and India.

Jordan, Syria and Kuwait were deemed ineligible because they did not submit full documentation for eligibility before the October 1 deadline.

5. debian-redded

debian-redded Red Card

Apr 18, 2006
    A-League clubs likely to go for Asian players (Mostly Korean and Chinese players?)

Sydney FC turn sights to Asia
    http://www.smh.com.au/news/sport/fo...-sights-to-asia/2008/10/30/1224956237975.html

6. RickChelsea

RickChelsea Member

Sep 28, 2008
    sidknee
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Mozambique
    lol some people want to naturalize Song Jin-hyung

7. shuvy87

shuvy87 Moderator
    Staff Member

Oct 17, 2003
    USA
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Japan
    The situation is also likely to work in reverse with cashed-up Japanese clubs - each allowed one player from another Asian Football Confederation country, starting next season - turning their eyes to the A-League.

Again, the rich Japanese clubs :rolleyes:

8. scotch17

scotch17 Member

Jun 15, 2008
    Entebbe
    Nat'l Team:
    Japan
    Getting slightly offtopic... but you should check Celtic boards on Naka xfer rumors. They're convinced Yokohama FC[sic] is "bankrolled" by a megarich car company. [​IMG]

9. Sharles

Sharles New Member

Feb 6, 2006
    ''my own world''
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    wtf

10. Golazo!!

Golazo!! Red Card

Jul 1, 2007
    good luck with that.

11. druryfire

druryfire Member

Sep 10, 2007
    England
    Jordan getting cut before they even managed to get in!!

If Kuwait can't meet FIFA's standards, then i'm not surprised that they would get cut.

But lets wait for final decision as i'm sure if some nations struggle to meet requirments, then i'm sure my nation Thailand would also struggle.

Hell, the serious nations will get places, but then they will be joined by a laughing stock. If AFC wants to get serious then cut basically all but 8 leagues.

12. RickChelsea

RickChelsea Member

Sep 28, 2008
    sidknee
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Mozambique
    So if they cut these other leagues out which would be very unfortunate then is there a chance perhaps that an Australian team can take their CL spot(or qualifying spot?)

13. scotch17

scotch17 Member

Jun 15, 2008
    Entebbe
    Nat'l Team:
    Japan
    Considering Jordan, Syria, and Kuwait are all in the Western half -- I'd say no.

14. happy

happy Member

Nov 23, 2004
    It is confirmed now

AFC is dead-serious abt getting the Asian league to buck up

Jordan teams has won 3 of the last 4 edition of the AFC Cup & Syria team the other as well as a ACL Final spot so football standard nt a problem yet bth leagues will nt be in ACL 2009 becos their leagues r nt up to scratch in other aspect

The new make-up will be reveal on Nov 25

Decisions of the 8th meeting of the AFC Professional League Ad Hoc Committee

1. A total of 17 Member Associations (MA) were deemed to have the ability to meet the criteria to compete in the 2009 ACL.

Of these, 13 MAs had submitted the necessary documents by the deadline of 1 October, 2008. They were: Saudi Arabia, Qatar, United Arab Emirates, Iran, Uzbekistan, India, Thailand, Vietnam, Singapore, Indonesia, Australia, China and Korea Republic.

Japan had earlier met all the criteria and therefore was not required to submit documents.

Three MAs failed to meet the deadline. They were: Jordan, Syria and Kuwait.

The committee therefore concluded that 14 MAs qualified as candidates to compete in the 2009 ACL.

A final decision on which MAs qualify for the 2009 ACL will be made on November 25 during the 9th meeting of the AFC Professional League Ad Hoc Committee in Shanghai, China.

15. RickChelsea

RickChelsea Member

Sep 28, 2008
    sidknee
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Mozambique
    But doesn't the Western half already have more spots than the Eastern anyway?

Ive also read that they haven't fully decided whether or not Champions can qualify directly for the next ACL, so im hoping they let the champions qualify through to the group stages, i think it's only right to have the best teams playing.

16. greenlion

greenlion Member

Apr 22, 2004
    CHINA
    Club:
    Beijing Guoan
    Nat'l Team:
    China PR
    the 2009 ACL final will be held in a Japanese city, reported by chinese media

17. scotch17

scotch17 Member

Jun 15, 2008
    Entebbe
    Nat'l Team:
    Japan
    Nope, each had 15. East still does.

I haven't seen anything to that effect. By all accounts that rule has been scrapped (and for the best imo.) AFC Cup winners get into the qualifiers however.

18. Sayf

Sayf Member

Jul 25, 2008
    Club:
    Al Hilal Riyadh
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    I don't think the problem was that they let them in -- nothing wrong with allowing a team to defend its title. The problem was that the let them in at the 1/4 final stage, which is ludicrous. Imagine Italy skipping the group stages and round of 16 at the next World Cup!

19. RickChelsea

RickChelsea Member

Sep 28, 2008
    sidknee
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Mozambique
    Exactly why qualification to the group stages would be fine, or at least the qualifying round.

20. scotch17

scotch17 Member

Jun 15, 2008
    Entebbe
    Nat'l Team:
    Japan
    Getting handed a 1seed on a silver platter isn't much different. :eek:
    If the team couldn't qualify from their own league / cup ... maybe they don't deserve to get there.

21. almango

almango Member+

Sydney FC
    Australia
    Nov 29, 2004
    Bulli, Australia
    Club:
    Sydney FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Australia
    Doesn't quite seem balanced to me. The AFC Cup winners get a qualfying spot and the ACL winners get nothing?

22. ultracat-redded

ultracat-redded Red Card

Jan 18, 2007
    Club:
    Esteghlal
    Nat'l Team:
    Iran
    ACL champions get the CWC spot.

23. JLSA

JLSA Member

Nov 11, 2003
    In how many confeds do the defending champs actually get in.

UEFA - Yes

Everyone else? I'm not sure, but I can't think of any where it is explicitly stated. OFC maybe? AFC not any more at least.

J

24. setagaya-redded

setagaya-redded Red Card

Oct 12, 2008
    Club:
    Urawa RD
    Nat'l Team:
    Japan
  25. shuvy87

shuvy87 Moderator
    Staff Member

Oct 17, 2003
    USA
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Japan
    About the defending champion slot, I believe it will come over time....