Champions League debacle hurts image of MLS ...

Discussion in 'MLS: News & Analysis' started by STpassion, Sep 3, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. STpassion

STpassion Red Card

Apr 7, 2008
    South of Turnpike
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  2. cleazer

cleazer Member+

May 6, 2003
    Toledo, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    uhh... I think there might already be a thread about this subject

maybe

3. sidefootsitter

sidefootsitter Member+

Oct 14, 2004
    When Steve Morrow - not avery bright guy, btw - said that MLS is on the average Premiership level, people pointed out to him that, while the starting eleven from the top MLS clubs can compete on that level, the depth required for a 10 month long Prem season was nowhere in sight.

Well, the fans were proved right again last night.

PS. The first line quality of MLS isn't that great either. It can compete with the Mexican clubs on sheer athleticism but the T&T and the Panamanian clubs don't suffer as much there and the football sense in MLS is frequently lacking.

PPS. I hope the Mexican teams that were knocked out at Superliga feels even worse.

4. EL MONO MARIO

EL MONO MARIO Member

Apr 9, 2002
    Montevideo, Uruguay
    Club:
    CA River Plate
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The best thing MLS did this WHOLE year was dup Villareal to buy Jozy Altidore for 10 million, and He isn't even in Manuel Pellegrini's plans and I doubt he'll even get a game in......

After these results and the preposterous notion that ANY American player is worth 10 million coming out of MLS is a joke... This league is a Joke in regards to how it assess itself.....

No one here can tell me MLS is in a right state of mind shelling out 2 teams FULL salaries to have one over 30 bored of soccer Englishman in LA and not raise the cap space to teams playing in international tournaments ect ect.

This has been a HUGE blow for US soccer in the last 3 years:

1. Ranked 8th in the world and bow out in 3 games, getting out played TERRIBLY in 2, in 06.

2. A ALL MLS roster, mostly, you know the 10 million dollar players, getting smacked around copa America.....

3. Only way to save MLS, you know America's league, shell out 5 million in salary to a ENGLISH MAN.

4. Jurgen Klingsman affair with NO PLAN B option.

5. Olympic disaster.......

Need I go on.... MLS and US Soccer have MUCH to answer for......

5. drew_VT_6

drew_VT_6 Member

Feb 22, 2000
    Orange County, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Good. I hope more people in the media criticize MLS. They deserve it.

6. holiday

holiday Member+

Oct 16, 2007
    it only hurts the image of mls if you thought don garber was einstein, league games are incredibly compelling, and mls is printing money. (the funny thing is, that's a sizable component on big soccer).
    but if you're a realist, the results weren't anything out of the ordinary. it can happen. you need to get used to playing good opponents who are really focused on these matches.
    and there's still two mls teams in ccl, which has a tough schedule for mls to perform at its best, besides the competitiveness of it.
    but with the proper focus mls can do better, imo.
    we'll see.

7. brittkamp

brittkamp Member

Nov 22, 2003
    Connecticut
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yawn.....Here come the overeactions, So if DC or the Dynamo do well will MLS all of the sudden be good again? I am dissappointed but the Revs and Chivas were shells of themselves and they both got destroyed. They deserved it, simple as that.

8. Virginian

Virginian Member

Sep 23, 1999
    Denver, Co
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  9. lfcli30

lfcli30 Member

Jun 21, 2005
    New York
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    He's completely right, too.

MLS and US Soccer in general have a LOT to answer for when it comes to these results. Garber and co. have not listened to the fans at all. One designated player doesn't make a team. This cap is pathetic, as are the roster limitations.

Every single fan of this league should be embarrassed and shamed for what has transpired this first week of the CCL. I've never in my life thought MLS quality was amazing, but this has proven to me just how much we underestimate leagues in our hemisphere. There is much to be done, and unless Garber and the owners realize this soon, they're going to lose a ton of potential fans. The "David Beckham effect" can't carry a league 5 years from now.

10. brentgoulet

brentgoulet Member+

Oct 12, 2005
    PuertoPlata, DomRep
    1. Ranked 8th in the world and bow out in 3 games, getting out played TERRIBLY in 2, in 06.

BUT STILL THEY MANAGED A 1 - 1 DRAW WITH WORLD CHAMPION ITALY

2. A ALL MLS roster, mostly, you know the 10 million dollar players, getting smacked around copa America.....

3. Only way to save MLS, you know America's league, shell out 5 million in salary to a ENGLISH MAN.

AVERAGE ATTENDANCE IS GOING UP, AND THE GALAXY AWAY ATTENDANCE IS INCREDIBLE

4. Jurgen Klingsman affair with NO PLAN B option.

5. Olympic disaster.......

THE USA DID NOT ADVANCE TO THE 1/4 FINALS BECAUSE A REFEREE INVENTED A PK FOR HOLLAND IN THEIR GAME AGAINST JAPAN

11. CHthirteen

CHthirteen Member

Jul 13, 2008
    Chicago
    I agree with everyone on this CCL thing. It's time for MLS to just pack it in. Sell Beckham to Joe Public FC and just get it over with.

I really just wish players would try harder, and care about the league more in general...in so many MLS games you see alot of guys just mailin' it in...and since soccer is a team sport, if one or two are doing it.. it demoralizes everybody else. and I don't think moderately higher salaries are the answer.. they just gotta care more.

12. BSGuy321

BSGuy321 Member

Sep 2, 2008
    I tend to agree with Mono Mario when he says the way the league assesses itself is a joke.

It's nice to think you're great, but when you're league is tested outside it's weaknesses will be brought to the forefront. This is not only an MLS problem.. it's a USSF problem. The organizational structure of the leagues is horrendous. USL is making huge strides, in part i believe because they have organized themselves in a divisional system, USL1 and USL2. This concept must be applied across the entire pyramidal landscape. Each league should be interconnected into one unifying whole: Only way to find and extract the best players in America. Pro/rel: It's an incredible recruitment mechanism without hiring any recruiters.

Keep losing to teams in CCL 4-0 and see how long it takes for teams across the pond to rethink before they shell out millions for a transfer.

Also, the conference/playoff system is not a good way of sorting out who the best of the best teams are. Focus must be placed on the regular season (SS). Only when every single team, from top to bottom, start to finish, is fighting for every single point can we determine who the truly best teams are. Again, a pro/rel system would help in this cause. Further, because of the salary cap structure the teams are already pretty equal and added to that we dont place preeminent importance on the regular season, so you have a watered down regular season. When you have a playoff system, teams look only to qualify for it in the hopes of then turning on the jets and winning the grand prize. Having a playoffs is ok i guess, but much less importance (as compared to the SS) must be placed on it.

If it were up to me, I'd elimimate the conferences and the playoffs (single table). Yes, I believe it would go a long way in improving quality of play.

Of course, the major problem remains the salary cap and roster limit issues already stated by others.

13. ugaaccountant

ugaaccountant New Member

Oct 26, 2003
    Why does anyone give a **** about the concacaf champions league? It's a cash grab by Jack Warner. At least Superliga gets MLS owners some money.

14. BSGuy321

BSGuy321 Member

Sep 2, 2008
    It's not about finding more teams and players, it's about finding the best players and teams.

15. MNAFETSC

MNAFETSC Member

Feb 5, 2000
    Blacksburg
    I remember when Donovan made this argument and my first reaction was: what a loser mentality that is.

16. Qrom

Qrom Member

Oct 26, 2007
    east bay
    not only that but 1:1 and a freaking italy own goal.

I think Stephen Colbert made a joke about how we tied the eventual world champions therefore we were Co-world champions.

17. brentgoulet

brentgoulet Member+

Oct 12, 2005
    PuertoPlata, DomRep
    OK, I agree it was with an owngoal, but they are as well part of the game and you need some luck sometimes

Just like the USA was lucky in 2002 that Korea managed to beat a 9 men Portugal squad 1 - 0, if not they would have come home after the first round

Now the 2002 squad is seen as heroes, but without that Korea goal, they would be seen as losers as well

BUT ANYWAY, MLS SHOULD RETHINK THE SEPTEMBER 2 DEBACLE AND TAKE THE NECESARY DECISIONS

18. t_attakz

t_attakz Member

Aug 21, 2007
    Houston
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I like how people blame MLS for the fact that New England and Chivas suck. DC and Houston fans dont seem to share the same sentiments.

19. evangel

evangel Member+

Apr 12, 2007
    And the World Cup is a cash grab by FIFA. It doesn't make the World Cup less important. This is the CONCACAF region's club tournament. That reason alone makes it very important. Regardless of why Jack Warner started it, the fact that MLS teams were taken down so quickly shows that this expanded tournament was a necessary addition to the confederation.

Prioritizing the Superliga over this competition would mean to isolate MLS from its own FIFA sanctioned regional tournament. I don't see how this could be a good thing in the long run.

20. Zoidberg

Zoidberg Member+

Jun 23, 2006
    Most of the fans MLS has now could care less about the CCL, if they know it exists. Just because a bunch of net geeks who ar einsecure care, doesn't mean th ebulk of paying fans do. This will do nothing to lose any old fans, and winning early here in these rounds would do nothing to gain new ones. You are delusional if you think different.

The USSF does have a ton to answer for. I agree and have vehemently protested those hacks. They deserve it.

As for Garber and MLS? What are they to do? Enlighten me? These results weren't unpredicatble if you have been paying attention. This was huge for JP and they prepared accordingly. MLS isn't deep enough or good enough yet to half heart it or play reserves. This is a huge money loser for MLS I wager. You won't care about that of course. It's your efo that matters, not your money either.

MLS was virtually dead and buried 5 years ago.5 years ago. That's it. You, and many here may still have been in diapers so you don't know that. Deal with it. ROme and the US wasn't built in a day. As little as 100 years ago the wrols still thought of the US as an emrging nation. Not a power. 150 and they were making fun of us, 200 and they were mocking us. It takes time. If you can't find 18 owners with billions who don't care how much they lose and are willing to spend 10's of millions each to get it all right, from top to bottom overnight, go for it. MLS will gladly take your help if you can do this. Gladly.
    If you have this genuis you can get a big salary also. It's easy. Right?:rolleyes:

If you are hurt because you are very insecure and you don't understand where the league is, or how long it takes to build something this big from scratch that's really your fault. No one else's. Huge undertaking, and as little as 5-6 years ago the US had MLS dead and buried.

MLS teams don't have the strength or money yet to play competetively in that many matches. The way it is. Deal with it. Fact. There will be improvement swith th enext CBA. You still will no tbe happy. Fact. My guess is you won't be happy in 10-20 years. Fact.

If you can find all of these fans you are talking about who care about this comp, and who are filling all of these stadiums/watching TV please let MLS know.

If your only answer is to throw money at it then you need not answer. It means you have no clue. All there is to it.

MLS will improve after the next CBA, but not enough for you, and they will stumble, and you will ramble and rant, and they will for a while yet. If you can't come to terms with that it means you don't really know what's going on. That's all there is to it.

Note - As I said in another thread. Does anyone really think Nicol is upset he is out of this? No way in hell. Not saying I agree or disagree, but he knows what it takes, and he surely knows that he doesn't have enough to play all of these matches and compete in MLS with th e size squad he has.
    Realist.

Then there are the little kids...

...your expectations are off. The result doesn't help, but it doesn't hurt much either except for a few, very few screamers like you. Guarantee you that. Watch Jack W change this tourney format also as he sees teams lose a lot of cash that will be on him.

Superliga makes money, so it will continue and MLS teams will play harder/use all thier first teamers, while this will become a US Open Cup. If teams are hurt and can't go all out...they probably won't. For the owners it's a money loser because most MLS fans could care less. They won't be sad to be out of it. Gonna take time son. Deal with it and learn or move on.

21. DonJuego

DonJuego Member+

Aug 19, 2005
    Austin, TX
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I care about CCL because it is our regional championship. Period. Superliga is nothing.

22. Zoidberg

Zoidberg Member+

Jun 23, 2006
    In the long run no (not good), but I bet there will be changes as this tourney is unwieldy and goes on to long anyway, in the short run it matters little.

It seems clear that many here really don't understand soccer in this country. It's history, money, fans, importance, etc.

My guess it's the younger ones. They see EPL and the hype, other sports here have the biggest payrolls and the hype and they want the same for soccer. They don't understand all of the other issues and the reality of it all.

Not shame in that, but reality is clearly lacking.

You can demand or be upset, but what is realistic and why?

We just don't have enough resources yet to wager long campaigns/many matches. All there is to it. We don't have dominant teams in our system, which makes tournies like this harder, where everyone has their best talent/resources on a couple of teams. The way it is. Things like this will happen. MLS coaches will have to prioritize. If I am in their spot a look t my league first and I hate to say it, probably SLiga second. Less matches, more chances to play top teams. MLS can't handle the long haul right now, and when you are spread thin, you are gonna take it on the chin now and again.

Way it is. Aagin, to be shocked/suprised shows a lack of comprehension. Nothing more, nothing less. It's gonna happnen.

CBA will help, and taking CCL teams out of the SLiga will also. Two easy/close fixes. Still not gonna be the hoy grail of fixes, but they are the next steps taht will help here. Sometimes, getting it on the chin is the best medicine. It forces change...but don't expect huge changes over night.

23. ugaaccountant

ugaaccountant New Member

Oct 26, 2003
    Just to clarify I don't give a **** about superliga either.

24. Zoidberg

Zoidberg Member+

Jun 23, 2006
    Let's see how you feel if the Dynamo run out of gas/to many injuries in the playoffs and down the stretch with all the matches they have played.

Will you change your tune then.

It could very well happen you know. Houston is deep...no that deep. They are MLS deep.;)

25. Autogolazo

Autogolazo BigSoccer Supporter

Feb 19, 2000
    Bombay Beach, CA
    To do what with? Put it back on the field? Ha!

I thought this was BigSoccer, not BigBillionaire.