Post-match: USA @ Guatemala - Post Game Thread[R]

Discussion in 'USA Men: News & Analysis' started by appoo, Aug 21, 2008.

1. appoo

appoo Member+

Jul 30, 2001
    USA
    Phew.

First - Bob Bradley needs to be punched in the face by every single USA player who put his time in, so we got to the point where we'd never have to play scared against CONCACAF sides no matter WHERE we play. You need a historly lesson Bob.

second - Let's hope Eddie is OK.

MotM - Tim Howard. By a country freakin mile.

I would also like to thank every single attacking player for playing like you never touched a soccer ball in approx 10 months.

2. babytiger2001

babytiger2001 New Member

Dec 29, 2000
    Melbourne
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    8/20, WCQ: USA @ Guatemala, post-match {R}

It wasn't pretty, but really, when is it pretty in away matches in CONCACAF WCQ'ing, anyway?

1-nil to the USA, both teams finish with ten men -- and bring on Cuba in Havana on September 6.

Discuss...

3. Flyin Ryan

Flyin Ryan Member

May 13, 2004
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    My Contribution to the U.S.-Guatemala Post-Match B*tching Thread:

Forget the forwards and midfielders. They were their usual selves: hardly present or doing anything worthwhile, doesn’t matter if they’re MLS or European or how much Yanks Abroad wants to convince us that going overseas improves players despite player after player showing it hasn't, they have been and continue to range from suck to average on the international scale with the occasional flash of savant brilliance.

Forget the lights, that’s called homefield advantage. Forget the homefield as a matter of fact, I don't think it played much of a factor in what I'm talking about. Forget the diving and dirty play, that’s normal, so what are you complaining about, that they played as you expected them to? Forget the goalkeeper, Howard played great in the fine American tradition. Forget the ref, he wasn’t Latino so 95% of USA national team fans’ b*tching can’t apply to him.

The big question of this game is: What the heck happened to our defenders? This was always our greatest strength and our national team is lost with no compass without the traditional strength they provide. Here’s how almost every U.S. game against CONCACAF opposition has operated since I started watching six years ago-ish: Forwards and midfielders can do little on their own, but the defenders and goalkeeper are stout enough to block the waves that come their way and eventually sooner or later the opponent misses a mark or gets confused, and BOOM! We score! Usually off a set piece as opposed to run of play (which happened tonight).

Tonight, we had Guatemalan attack after attack that broke through our defense and they were left scrambling. For the first time in a long time I can remember, a consistently and clearly inferior CONCACAF opponent (i.e. one not named Mexico and not named Costa Rica) played us without fear, did not bunker, and were scaring and beating our defense one time to the next. Carlos Ruiz actually was dangerous and beating our defenders. CARLOS RUIZ! (And that Rodriguez guy.)

Does anyone else remember the spring 2007 friendly against Guatemala? They bunkered for 90 minutes, never challenged for a goal, and the game ended in a dour 0-0 tie. Bradley was coach then too and I believe most of the players on the field were the same. So what changed in 15 months?

Unfortunately, we’re not going to find out about if this is a one-off fluke or something serious until the Hex most likely, which is too late. Cuba’s no match for our B-team. Trinidad is in a down spell with their national team right now in their post-World Cup afterglow from 2006. So we’re going to win our next 2 games easy, probably defeat Guatemala at home, maybe with a tie somewhere in there, and all will be forgotten. I watched most of the Honduras-Mexico game and Honduras is scary fast. Carlos Ruiz can’t hold a candle to David Suazo.

Our defending better improve if we want to make top 3.

4. E Diddy

E Diddy Member

Jul 1, 2003
    Hutto, TX
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Re: 8/20, WCQ: USA @ Guatemala, post-match {R}

One of the worst fouls I've ever seen. Amazing that FIFA lets CONCACAF exist.

5. Tony in Quakeland

Jan 27, 2003
    Pleasant Hill, CA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

And that game is why you bring a veteran team to World CUp qualifiers in Central America...

6. KingAL30

KingAL30 New Member

Nov 12, 2007
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Ugly win, but its a win. Nothing from the run of play, where was Donovan?

7. CrewDust

CrewDust Member

May 6, 1999
    Columbus, Ohio
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

The rematch should be fun, hope the Yanks down there get out safely. MASSIVE win! Going a man team fired the team up. Bring on the Fighting Fidels!

8. jbgeach

jbgeach Member

Apr 5, 2005
    Chattanooga, TN

What I liked today is that we put the game away. They had NO good chances at the end. Stewart Holden has a lot to learn from these guys.

9. Nutmeg

Nutmeg Member+

Aug 24, 1999

The foul rightfully pissed off the USA, and the US took it to Guatemala after that.

10. cpwilson80

cpwilson80 Member+

Mar 20, 2001
    Boston
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    1. TIM-MAY!
    2. Guatemala: Dirty team or dirtiest team?
    3. Lewis is done
    4. Fire Bradley

11. PALE568

PALE568 Member

Jun 5, 2003
    mind your own.
    Yeah, kept the clean sheet & had the US's best moment - the staredown with Carlos Ruiz.

12. Knave

Knave Member+

May 25, 1999
    In the end we put lipstick on the pig.

That's about the best you can say about that game.

13. peledre

peledre Member

Mar 25, 2001
    Sioux Falls, SD
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

I'd have to say after watching that game if all players leave with all four of their limbs still attached we'd have to consider it a moral victory.

Nice to get a goal and a shutout against those A-holes.

14. footballer7883

footballer7883 New Member

Feb 16, 2004
    Seattle

Ugly is an understatement. But a win is a win. Thank god no one was marking bocanegra on that corner. we looked rough for a while but our boyz showed a lot of grit to hang in there through all that garbage and get the result.

15. Heist

Heist Member+

Jun 15, 2001
    Virginia
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Not sure what you mean with your first one... but I agree with the others.

And i'll add:
    Carlos Ruiz = dirtiest player ever

16. appoo

appoo Member+

Jul 30, 2001
    USA
    actually - now that I think about it - Gooch had a good game didn't he?

17. Deuteriumoxide

May 27, 2003
    Rockville, MD
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

[​IMG]

Can't say we really deserved to win. But i'll take the points.

What do we do against good teams?

18. THOMA GOL

THOMA GOL BigSoccer Supporter

Jul 16, 1999
    Frontier
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    We created history, and as you know, there's nothing wrong with history;)
    [​IMG]

19. england66

england66 Member+

Jan 6, 2004
    dallas, texas
    You are way to hard on these guys....they did great in very, very difficult circumstances. no complaints about any USA player, a battling performance against incredibly motivated opponents. Well done the USA.

20. Namdynamo

Namdynamo Member+

Jan 1, 2005
    We need to blow this piece of shit team and the clown head coach up and replace it with the Olympic team.

Seriously, the Olympic team would run this team off the field.

21. aramada

aramada Member

Sep 5, 2007
    Washington DC
    Club:
    CA San Lorenzo de Almagro
    Nat'l Team:
    Guatemala

Before i watch that game again and reanazlyze things which will lead to any excuses, i just want to say excellent win. Yanks came in, did business, and are getting out. I already know who to balme this game on but none of that will we brought up on your thread, just wanted to say congrats

22. DaMa

DaMa Member

Jun 17, 2002
    New York
    I will leave the bitching and moaning about our offensive players for others. Its warranted but it will be hammered to death. Before the thread gets to deep let me say, I'm not saying Junior Bradley had a great game, but a huge and valid criticism of his play has been he gets tired in the 80th minute and does everything he can to put his side in a bad position. In the last 10 minutes of this match, nobody worked harder than him (though DMB was close) and that includes people who had played far less of the match. Shrug something to be hopeful about anyway.

23. gmboy95

gmboy95 Member

Jan 11, 2007
    Norton, Ma.
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

LET ME DELIVER SOME LEVITY TO THIS EMOTIONAL DISCUSSION....CONGRATS TO OUR VOLLEYBALL WOMEN ON THEIR BIG WIN!!!!!!!!!!!!!1

[​IMG]

24. dwsmith1972

dwsmith1972 BigSoccer Supporter

May 11, 2007
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

kind of a whack shot at holden. and tonight was the type of game that a holden like player with his skill on the ball in tight space and high workrate wouldve been great.

25. rochester rhinos

rochester rhinos New Member

Aug 10, 2007
    under a pipal tree

someone rep this man