Bradley names 17 of 18 for Guatamala, Mystery Man TBNL

Discussion in 'USA Men: News & Analysis' started by Maximum Optimal, Aug 14, 2008.

1. Maximum Optimal

Maximum Optimal Member+

Jul 10, 2001
    U.S. ROSTER BY POSITION
    GOALKEEPERS (2): Brad Guzan (Aston Villa: 2/2 SO), Tim Howard (Everton FC: 3/2 SO)
    DEFENDERS (6): Carlos Bocanegra (Rennes: 13/1), Steve Cherundolo (Hannover 96: 15/0), Jay DeMerit (Watford FC: 1/0), Frankie Hejduk (Columbus Crew: 11/1), Oguchi Onyewu (Standard de Liege: 8/0), Heath Pearce (Hansa Rostock: 2/0)
    MIDFIELDERS (5): Michael Bradley (SC Heerenveen: 2/1), Maurice Edu (Toronto FC: 1/0), Sacha Kljestan (Chivas USA: 1/0), Eddie Lewis (Derby County: 19/3), Pablo Mastroeni (Colorado Rapids: 10/0)
    FORWARDS (4): Brian Ching (Houston Dynamo: 7/4), Landon Donovan (Los Angeles Galaxy: 21/8), Clint Dempsey (Fulham FC: 8/2), Eddie Johnson (Fulham FC: 8/8)

http://www.ussoccer.com/articles/viewArticle.jsp_9011206.html

Rumor has it that JOB has recovered from his injuries and will be the 18th man. :eek:

2. FakeFlopper

FakeFlopper Member

Jul 21, 2005
    Austin, Tx
    Bob is the luckiest guy alive. No surprises here.

------Ching----Dempsey----

Lewis----------------Donovan

-------Edu-----Bradley-----

Pearce--Boca---Gooch-----Dolo

Boca as captain, but I hope not for long. Howard or Donovan should be in my opinion.

3. Monarch Bay Beachbum

Apr 5, 2004
    The OC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  4. JeremyEritrea

JeremyEritrea Member+

Jun 29, 2006
    Takoma Park, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I can't imagine who else it would be.

5. DLee

DLee Member

Apr 24, 2006
    Chicago
    Why would we continue to keep Adu away from a new club where he's barely spent any time? Let him stay in France.

6. Sandon Mibut

Sandon Mibut Member+

Feb 13, 2001
    I suppose I shouldn't surprised by the exclusion of Cooper and/or Buddle, not to mention anything else that vaguely resembles new blood, but it's still disapointing.

7. Maximum Optimal

Maximum Optimal Member+

Jul 10, 2001
    I'd agree that it would be better to let Adu join his club. He needs to start earning his playing time there.

8. BWogs

BWogs New Member

Jan 28, 2003
    Kansas City
    While I think Cooper should have been brought into the team a while ago, I can understand why Bradley is going with this team.

This is the toughest match of this round and the team is only going to be together for a couple of days before hand. Not the best situation to bring in players that lack experience playing together.

Of course that would not be a problem if Bradley had brought in Cooper earlier.

9. england66

england66 Member+

Jan 6, 2004
    dallas, texas

Bradley is just not going to call in Cooper....just not "his type of player".....

10. MLSNHTOWN

MLSNHTOWN Member+

Oct 27, 1999
    Houston, TX
    It's world cup qualifying time. Now is not the time to blood new players.

That being said, you can definitely include a couple of players in your 18 man roster that you bring in for the experience/to be part of camp, but you don't expect to be a part of your final roster and/or to get into the game (unless the game is already decided). Apparently that doesn't seem like what Bradley is going to do. No Wynne. No Cooper. Instead we get Heydude and Ching (though I think the case can be made that target forward like Ching is likely to start based on their general effectiveness against Guatemala in the past).

Adu and Altidore should be called in if they can help us get points. Period. Obviously, I would love for them to have the luxury of earning starting spots for their respective teams and that is more important to them as players. But if they can help us at all, they should be there. Ultimately, Altidore isn't 100% healthy out of the Olympics so I understand his exclusion. Adu as a benchplayer though could be useful and should be brought in if he can help. My guess is that Bradley made a deal that we get Adu for the Olympics, but we don't call him up for a couple of WCQ'ers. Just a guess though.

I know that it probably won't matter and I know that we will still likely advance to the HEx....but now is not the time to mess around.

I also don't know what Sacha has done to merit the inclusion over Stuart Holden.

11. MLSNHTOWN

MLSNHTOWN Member+

Oct 27, 1999
    Houston, TX
    I completely understand Bradley's argument that Cooper is not a "target" forward type. However, what the hell is Taylor Twellman? Twellman got repeated caps and never did much with them. I can partially understand the argument of Cooper not being called in if we are bringing in Ching, Altidore, Adu, etc. But for the life of me, I can't figure out not bringing him with Adu and Altidore with their club teams.

12. pwip

pwip Member

Jul 10, 2004
    Dallas
    because he played for Bob with Chivas

13. OWN(yewu)ED

OWN(yewu)ED Member+

Club: Venezia F.C.
    May 26, 2006
    chico, CA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    no real surprises. Except how did Jay Demerit magically pass OTC in the centerback depth chart???

I think we could tease the gods by throwing out a 3 man backline against Guatemala and nd just run the show with a 5 man midfield. They dont have anyone that threatens us onthe counter. Fish is Gooch and Boca's biatch. He hasnt one anything against them in years, anything remotely threatening. We are going to get the 10-0-0 backine so we should get as many guys up top as possible. I mean our traditional 4-4-2 is swell and all but with guys who like to bunker as Guatemala do, we can afford the luxury of throwing guys forward. Just my two cents.

14. england66

england66 Member+

Jan 6, 2004
    dallas, texas

As I've mentioned before about 2 million times...the so called "target" striker is a dinosaur, 'ee's dead, 'ees past on, 'ee's gone to that great Fjord in the sky...(apologies to Monty Phython) and the only fcukers who seem unaware of this are either...

1) Bob Bradley....

or...

2) Posters on big soccer.

15. TheLostUniversity

Los Angeles Galaxy
    Feb 4, 2007
    Greater Boston
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Or Portsmouth :D

16. england66

england66 Member+

Jan 6, 2004
    dallas, texas

....who won't win the EPL in my (or your) lifetime....

17. puttputtfc

puttputtfc Member+

Sep 7, 1999
    So true and yet so sad.

18. GlryManUtd

GlryManUtd New Member

Nov 10, 2007
    Ocean County, NJ
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    what about jozy, he hasnt been called up since the mexico friendly, i really want to see him have a break out qualifying campagne to show villarreal and the world his talent, i hate to say it, but he played so much better than mcbride in bejing and didnt get the playing time, i thing its time to start working the triangle of jozy, landon, and freddy, thats the future

19. PhillyQuakesFan

PhillyQuakesFan New Member

Jun 25, 2007
    Delaware County, PA
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Fire Bradley. Now.

Absolutely amazing.

20. Arid_Torpor

Arid_Torpor Member

Jun 1, 2006
    Durham, NC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Let his ankle heal, so that he can show us what he can really do when we actually do call him up.

21. luvdagame

luvdagame Member+

Jul 6, 2000
    actually, there are clubs and countries that still use target strikers for large parts of the modern game, although today's target striker has to be able to do other things.

drogba is often used as a target striker for parts of chelsea's game - and effectively so. there is no other way to describe how the ball is punted up to him for him to use his body as a battering ram.

crouch is used as a target striker very often - altho in a different style than drogba.

the czech rep. use koller as a target striker a lot. most recently in euro '08.

etc, etc.

doesn't mean that harry's not effective in how he uses forwards - for the $$ he has available.

22. TimB4Last

TimB4Last Member+

May 5, 2006
    Dystopia
    Beasley - depending on his fitness and club demands?

23. Arid_Torpor

Arid_Torpor Member

Jun 1, 2006
    Durham, NC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Agreed on all of this, especially the bolded.

24. RevsRule

RevsRule Member+

NE Revs, LAFC
    Jun 9, 1999
    N. Eastern, Mass
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm amazed that he called in any of the Olympians. :eek: They've been away from their clubs a long time and to miss yet another couple of weeks is asking lot.

It's apparent that doing a good job in China has nothing to do with getting a shot at the big team because the best from that tournament are not on his list for this game.

Getting by that, there are no surprises here. This is the same crew he's been calling in for some time ... Unfortunately

At least he's got Mikey :rolleyes: Lets see what kind of stupid thing he does this game

If it were anybody else but the Guats, we'd be in trouble

25. Qrom

Qrom Member

Oct 26, 2007
    east bay
    love how Eddie Johnson is a solid unmovable rock in the U.S line up.