Kasey Keller to Seattle?

Discussion in 'MLS: News & Analysis' started by Firefan1989, Aug 12, 2008.

1. Firefan1989

Firefan1989 Member

Mar 29, 2008
    Seattle FC is going to be announcing that they have signed a myster player on Thursday the 14th. On MLS Rumors yes, you could take it with a grain of salt but they said 2 weeks ago that they got an email saying Kasey Keller has signed with the MLS. So guys good move or bad move for Seattle? Yes I know its from MLS Rumors to but some of the emails they get from people are reliable....like with the LA Galaxy meeting someone sent that to them on staurday saying the meeting is going down on sunday.

2. tab5g

tab5g Member+

May 17, 2002
    They should loan him to the Galaxy for the rest of 2008.

3. GOALSeattle

GOALSeattle Member

Oct 13, 2007
    Seattle
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Seattle fans are fully expecting that the player announced will be Kasey Keller. The mystery remains if they'll include Chris Eylander in this announcement as the "GK of the future."

There is a small outside chance that we've got someone else in from the transfer market, but it sure seems like it will be Kasey.

It is a possibility that he will indeed by loaned to LA, or some other MLS club. Sounders FC do have specific personal regimens designed for players to stay in shape October-January, but it can't replace actual action. Certainly Kasey would be very busy in the LA goal. :D

Kasey in late May at Brazil-Canada at Qwest Field:

[​IMG]

4. Goodsport

Goodsport Moderator
    Staff Member

May 18, 1999
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Darn! I thought that it'd be the Seattle Sounders FC that would instead be making that announcement. :(

-G

5. GOALSeattle

GOALSeattle Member

Oct 13, 2007
    Seattle
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    BTW, here's the 'invitation' sent out to fans:

[FONT=Arial,Helvetica]SOUNDERS FC PLAYER ANNOUNCEMENT!

You're invited to join Seattle Sounders FC in a special player announcement on Thursday, August 14th at Qwest Field. Gates will open at 2:00 PM.

You won't want to miss this historic event as the Sounders FC adds another to their 2009 roster.

Fans attending can park in the north lot of Qwest Field, and enter the stadium through the NW VIP gate where they will be directed to the field.

Attention youth players - you're encouraged to wear your team uniform! There will be an informal clinic led by members of the Sounders FC staff.

Join Sounders FC at Qwest Field on August 14th for this event - it is one that will certainly be remembered.[/FONT]

6. Firefan1989

Firefan1989 Member

Mar 29, 2008

my mistake lol... I like Seattle FC better so im just going to call them that until there actually in the league:D

7. TapocoL

TapocoL Member

Feb 7, 2007
    Bay Area, CA
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Why wouldn't Keller have to go through the allocation process?

8. The Devil's Architect

Feb 10, 2000
    The American Steppe
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Seattle should be at the top of the process

9. TapocoL

TapocoL Member

Feb 7, 2007
    Bay Area, CA
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Even if he signs right now?

10. untowardbehavior

Jun 28, 2008
    Massachusetts
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    He is in effect not going to play until then? Isn't he out of contract?

11. Clint Eastwood

Clint Eastwood Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Please, stop trying to understand the rules. They make them up as they go.

12. tab5g

tab5g Member+

May 17, 2002
    maybe he doesn't want to play in MLS in 2008.

If he signs a USL contract in 2008, can't he be "moved-up" to MLS in 2009 (as per the set wacky "promotion" roster rules MLS has in place for Seattle joining the league)?

13. dredgfan

dredgfan Member+

MLS
    Nov 5, 2004
    Denver or NOLA
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    what rules? Promoting the roster is a new MLS gig.

14. alexp92

alexp92 Member

Jul 5, 2007
    im not sure what i think about this. guess it all depends on how much they're giving him.

15. SonicDeathMonkey

Atlanta United
    Jun 24, 2008
    Conyers, Ga.
    Club:
    Fulham FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Just what the American soccer fan wants to see.....an aging former legend getting pelted with goals every week because of his expansion team defense. Yawn.

16. GOALSeattle

GOALSeattle Member

Oct 13, 2007
    Seattle
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I thought Americans wanted more goals! ;)

Seattle will have a decent defense even if they only bring up what they've got right now. With an addition or two we'll move from decent to solid.

17. EL MONO MARIO

EL MONO MARIO Member

Apr 9, 2002
    Montevideo, Uruguay
    Club:
    CA River Plate
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well Keller made a career blocking goals for mino team in LA LIGA, EPL, and Germany. In fact it is that that made him one of the worlds top keepers.

Am glad to see Keller here.... Although he has lost a step he is a quality keeper.... Still capable of handling himself in MLS... I doubt he'll sign for a Huge Salary but he won't be a gimme either....

18. alexp92

alexp92 Member

Jul 5, 2007
    tbh i kind of agree. they could do better than a keeper. really isn't very exciting. go out and get a big name playmaker. that will get people excited.

19. jason1551

jason1551 Member+

Apr 9, 2003
    Columbus, GA
    Club:
    DC United
    If he's retired from international play, he wouldn't be subject to the allocation process. The other part would be that Seattle is using one of their allocations in advance to sign him. I wouldn't be shocked if they went with either method.

20. GOALSeattle

GOALSeattle Member

Oct 13, 2007
    Seattle
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Keller won't be a "DP."

21. TheLostUniversity

Los Angeles Galaxy
    Feb 4, 2007
    Greater Boston
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    At this end stage of his career, I don't think I would trust Keller in goal over Eylander, who is really a good keeper. On the other hand, as a one-year stint for the club, to jump start the inaugural season, it has definite PR value. Keller will certainly have his good days, and if he is the mentoring kind could teach much of the finer points to Eylander.
    So, an "Ok" move if clearly set up as tribute to an old Seattle soccer giant and as the passage to a new era. A bad move if they get rid of Eylander and rely on Kasey to maintain clean sheets.

22. Rob Base

Rob Base Member

Apr 30, 2003
    'Burque, NM
    I was thinking the same thing until the McBride deal. Hasn't Keller played with the national team more recently than McBride, unless his last hoorah in the Olympics was factored in. Whatever, I hate the allocation/discovery process anyway, and it only makes sense for Kasey to play in Seattle.

23. happyjoe

happyjoe New Member

Nov 9, 2007
    Sounders FC arent an official "participating" club until January 1, 2009 according to interviews with Adrian Hanauer. That is why they were spectators at all of the happenings at the All Star Game.

Not sure how they can be signing players then, but that is the supposed word on the street.

24. TheLostUniversity

Los Angeles Galaxy
    Feb 4, 2007
    Greater Boston
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Although not offically "participating" club, yet, I do believe the Sounders are allowed to sign contracts with players for "Seattle Sounders FC" vs "Seattle Sounders -USL1". The case of Sebastian Letoux comes to mind. He has signed a contract with SS FC, and is being "loaned out to" the USL version for this year.

25. USvsIRELAND

USvsIRELAND Member+

Jul 19, 2004
    ATL
    I have posted this at least 20 times.

MLS has no rules people!!!!!!!