The Dr. vs. Rockin' Robbie

Discussion in 'Real Salt Lake' started by ccb1212, Jul 31, 2008.

1. ccb1212

ccb1212 Member

Sep 5, 2006
    West Jordan,UT
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    We have had many debates here about the Dr.'s lack of goal scoring this season. We all agree that we need him to score more goals. But I have felt for a while that our teams seems to play much better while he is on the field.

I wanted to put my theory to the test. So I looked at the stats for each game and figured how many goals the team scored while he was on the field compared to how many goals they scored while he was on the bench (I was bored today at work). Here is what I found.

So far this season, Deuchar has played 1284 minutes. During the time he was on the field, the team has scored 19 goals or a goal every 67.57 minutes. The team has played 436 minutes with him on the bench. During that time, they have scored only 3 goals or a goal every 145.33 minutes.

Seeing these numbers shocked me. I didn't think the difference would be that big. So I thought I would run Findley through the same process to see how he is doing. Here are his numbers.

To date, Robbie has played 1025 minutes. The team has scored 11 goals during that time or a goal every 93.18 minutes. The team has played 697 minutes with Findley on the bench. They have also scored 11 goals during that time or a goal every 63.26 minutes.

Again, those stats surprised me. Findley has the most goals on the team so I thought his numbers would be better. I should probably run the rest of our forwards through this process to see how they are doing. Perhaps I will when I have some more time.

I thought everyone else here might find these numbers interesting.

2. rslfanboy

rslfanboy Member+

Jul 24, 2007
    Section 26
    Interesting.... :D

I know they keep these stats for hockey, but I'm not sure if the principle applies to soccer the same way.

3. Arelius

Arelius Member

Mar 23, 2004
    You have analyzed Findley and the Dr. separately but we all know that they have played together for the majority of those minutes.

So what does that mean?

4. ccb1212

ccb1212 Member

Sep 5, 2006
    West Jordan,UT
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I am not exactly sure what that means. My guess would be that the team plays much better when both are on the field than just Findley without the Deuchar. Maybe I should see if I could figure out the numbers with both on the field together.

5. 15 to 32

15 to 32 Straw Hog

Jul 1, 2008
    Salt Lake
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I honestly think that Findley is the best sub we have on the team. He brings an instant burst of speed, and with the opposing team being a little worn down his touch doesnt seem to hurt him as bad. I think the best idea would be to start Duechar and Espindola up top (if he is not on the wing) and then sub on Findley for Duechar in the 60th-70th minute.

6. Arelius

Arelius Member

Mar 23, 2004
    Most likely that result will be skewed because for many games they were the only forwards getting minutes.

To make it fair, you'd likely have to average goals/minutes.

7. ccb1212

ccb1212 Member

Sep 5, 2006
    West Jordan,UT
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So after sleeping on this, I think my problem with my original post was trying to compare the numbers between Deuchar and Findley. Arelius was right in pointing out that they have played a lot of their time together.

But I still feel there is a lot ot be learned by looking at the numbers comparing goals scored when they are on and off the field. Yes this is a simple way to look at the big picture. But there is still value in it.

Almost all goals that are scored are due to the whole team's effort. Not just one player. The number above for Duechar shows me that over the course of the year, the team has played better when he is on the field compared to when he is off the field.

8. keeptheslinrsl

Mar 17, 2008
    Section 26!
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    OOOO OOOO!! Now do Yura!!!!

9. Boz

Boz RSL Family

Jul 14, 2004
    Club:
    --other--
    Oh snap!

10. goobx1

goobx1 Member+

Jul 9, 2007
    Salt Lake
    And add in assists. For dramatic effect of course.

11. ccb1212

ccb1212 Member

Sep 5, 2006
    West Jordan,UT
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    By popular demand, here are Yura's numbers.

He has played 476 minutes in which the team has scored a whopping 2 goals. That puts the team at a goal every 238 minutes. When Yura is not in the game, the team scores a goal every 61.2 minutes.

Espy has played in 490 minutes which the team has scored 8 goals or a goal every 61.25 minutes. The team has played 1220 minutes without him where they scored 14 goals or a goal every 87.14 minutes.

Tino has played in 263 minutes in which the team has scored two goals or a goal every 131.5 minutes. The team has played 1447 with Tino not in the game. They have scored 20 goals during that time or a goal every 72.35 minutes.

Just for the record, the team itself has played 1710 minutes and have scored 22 goals or a goal every 77.72 minutes.

12. keeptheslinrsl

Mar 17, 2008
    Section 26!
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So to sum it all up:

Player- Minutes/goal scored

Espy: 61.25
    Deuchar: 67.57

Overall: 77.72

Findley: 93.18
    Tino: 131.5
    Yura: 238

So can it be said that we need Espy and Deuchar as our starting duo? Pretty much what we have been saying all along.

13. beaveman

beaveman New Member

Feb 12, 2007
    Mapleton, UT
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Here's another interesting aspect to take a look at: Look at the teams min/goal for Deuchar's playing time as a starter vs his playing time as a sub. Do the same for Findley and the others as well. I've looked before at how Findley performs as a starter vs as a sub, but it would be interesting how the entire team performs during Findley's (and others) minutes on the pitch as a sub. This might take a bit more work/effort, so I'll see if I can find some time to crunch the numbers...

14. unitedrmyfc

unitedrmyfc New Member

Oct 20, 2007
    North Goal
    I agree, I like to see Findley come off the bench more than I like seeing him as a starter. As others have said, I think Deuchar and Espy up front, with Findley coming on as a second half sub (if we arent ahead by a couple goals) is the best tactically for RSL.

15. Allez RSL

Allez RSL Member+

Jun 20, 2007
    Home
    Or (as long as you're our data monkey :) ) you could look at striker combinations:

Minutes per goal with Deuchar and Findley
    Minutes per goal with Deuchar and Espindola
    Minutes per goal with Nunez and Findley
    and so on.

Let's see, 5 strikers...5 choose 2...10 combinations to look at there. I expect it on my desk by 5:00.

16. ryno007

ryno007 New Member

Jul 16, 2008
    Draper, UT, USA
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Minutes per goal with Tino and Yura should take about 2 seconds.

17. RealSandy

RealSandy Member

Aug 15, 2006
    Sandy
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I would be interested to see Dr and Findley goals per minute compared to Dr and Espy.

18. ccb1212

ccb1212 Member

Sep 5, 2006
    West Jordan,UT
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I thought I would update my numbers on this.

Espy: 49.36
    Deuchar: 65.13
    Team Avg: 73.3
    Findley: 80.26
    Yura: 126.25
    Tino: 131.5

19. phills

phills Member

Nov 24, 1999
    You can put all your min stats in front of us, but the bottom line is we have really only one scorer. We will not go very far with one. The most successful teams have more than one consistent scorer.

20. Allez RSL

Allez RSL Member+

Jun 20, 2007
    Home
    You're right. We should cut Beckerman and sign someone who can really score goals.

21. jp992751

jp992751 Member

Aug 26, 2006
    Logan, Utah
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Let me save phillis the hassle here as I am sure this will be what he will say.
    Ok jack*** (i don't think you are one but this will probably be used in his post) Beckerman isn't paid to score goals. Tino, Yura, Ducher, Findly and Espy are. So cut one of them. Beckerman is only supposed to get the ball to them to score, as of late he is just supposed to make sure he plays a defensive role. Beckerman is the best player on the team by far. He should be getting looks from Real Madrid and Man U. Even when you see him just walking around on the pitch he is just eyeing the game to see where he can strike next. Remember only two things will survive the Apocolypse, Cockroaches and Beckerman, but the cockraoches won't survive Beckrman.

22. Allez RSL

Allez RSL Member+

Jun 20, 2007
    Home
    What about the roaches in his hair?

23. jp992751

jp992751 Member

Aug 26, 2006
    Logan, Utah
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team: