Post-match: Revs v Athuglante (R)

Discussion in 'New England Revolution' started by SirFozzie, Jul 30, 2008.

1. SirFozzie

SirFozzie Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 17, 2001
    Franklin, MA
    The New England Revolution advance to the finals of the 2008 Superliga by defeating Atlante 1-0, thanks to a Shalrie Joseph goal in the 30th minute, in a game marred by two Atlante players being sent off, then the Atlante keeper and Jay Heaps being given red cards for incidents that happened in a post match scrum.

The Revs will play Houston in the final on 8/5, at a game currently scheduled to START at 8 PM.

2. bosterosoy

bosterosoy New Member

Jan 22, 2007
    In a House
    ??? is it really starting that late? that sucks, I was hoping to go but on a weekday and that late it might get complicated

3. RevsRule

RevsRule Member+

NE Revs, LAFC
    Jun 9, 1999
    N. Eastern, Mass
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    In a small side note - Taylor Twellman warmed up at the start of the second half :D

4. RevsRule

RevsRule Member+

NE Revs, LAFC
    Jun 9, 1999
    N. Eastern, Mass
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I thought we had more chances but we would have needed oversized nets to score. We need to work on accuracy over power on our shots. We should have had a couple more. The did seem to be getting open down our left side too much

5. bosterosoy

bosterosoy New Member

Jan 22, 2007
    In a House
    thats good news, though the team has been playing very well without him. Nicol has done an incredible job and Duba/Christman have stepped it up.

And Nyassi drives the Mexican teams crazy. All three games they couldnt stop fouling him

6. RevsRule

RevsRule Member+

NE Revs, LAFC
    Jun 9, 1999
    N. Eastern, Mass
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    fixed your post :D

7. SirFozzie

SirFozzie Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 17, 2001
    Franklin, MA
    Ok folks, make comments about the teams and the players. But that's enough of the jingoistic comments and racism. I'm leaving this thread open (All others will be ruthlessly merged to this one), but any racist or otherwise objectionable posts will earn a quick recycling, and infractions handed out.

The Mods

8. Mick7184

Mick7184 New Member

Jan 21, 2007
    Franklin, Mass
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Is anyone else worried about the reprucussions of the post game scrum completely gutting the Revs lineup for the final? Think about it, given MLS's bizarre history when it comes to this stuff, we could be without Heaps, Albright, and not to mention Parkhurst, nice backline we are left with.

9. Danilo Luvano

Danilo Luvano New Member

Nov 6, 2007
    DFW, TX
    Shalrie must have felt really loved today after getting taken down by almost every Atlante Player tonight......

10. bosterosoy

bosterosoy New Member

Jan 22, 2007
    In a House
    oops lol :p

11. ua6870

ua6870 New Member

Mar 29, 2007
    Anybody know just how many red cards were issued in this game? Especially at the end?

I think two reds for Atalante during the course of the game, but how about after? Didn't the Atalante Keeper get a red?

12. Hector_Huerta

Hector_Huerta Member

May 2, 2007
    Espn
    Funny how it was an Argentinian and Colombian go started this debacle

LOOSE THE GENERALIZATION :rolleyes:

13. bosterosoy

bosterosoy New Member

Jan 22, 2007
    In a House
    Atlante gk and another player got reds as did Jay Heaps

14. johnh00

johnh00 Member

Apr 25, 2001
    CT, USA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Nyassi was awesome. Shalrie was the man. And Ginger put in one of the best performances of the year in central defense. Just dominating.

15. Danilo Luvano

Danilo Luvano New Member

Nov 6, 2007
    DFW, TX
    Batrez did a TERRIBLE JOB today but despite his terrible job, I like how he was handing out Red Cards after the Game ended. Referees don't do that a lot nowadays.

16. rmcgo

rmcgo New Member

Nov 12, 2007
    Massachusetts
    Shame on Heaps for getting goaded into a red, I assume that means he isn't available for the final game...already down Parkhurst, now Heaps, not good.

17. rachel83

rachel83 Member

Sep 25, 2007
    Russia
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Here's the discipline list:

NE -- Amaechi Igwe (caution; Reckless Foul) 27 NE -- Sainey Nyassi (caution; Pushing, Holding) 52 ATN -- Giancarlo Maldonado (caution; Dissent) 53 ATN -- Gerardo Espinoza (caution; Pushing, Holding) 56 ATN -- Fernando Navarro (caution; Pushing, Holding) 71 ATN -- Alan Zamora (caution; Reckless Foul) 84 ATN -- Luis Gabriel Rey (ejection; Violent Conduct) 85 NE -- Chris Albright (caution; Dissent) 85 ATN -- Federico Vilar (caution; Dissent) 86 ATN -- Federico Vilar (ejection; Second Caution) 91+ ATN -- Alan Zamora (ejection; Second Caution) 94+ ATN -- Javier Munoz Mustafa (ejection; Second Caution) 95+ NE -- Jay Heaps (ejection; Violent Conduct) 95+ ATN -- Luis Venegas (ejection; Violent Conduct) 95+

18. GodofJebus

GodofJebus New Member

Nov 18, 2007
    L.A
    Gongratulations on the win
    Its just that this tournaments isnt reality
    I want to see the mexican teams and the mls teams with their best starting eleven.
    with good quality fields(no crappy houston Dynamo fields ore turf) and better quality refs
    All the mexican teams playing were clearly not at their peak mentally,technaclly or physically,just like some mls teams had problems with injured players and stuff.

But i beleive the players that were injured in the mexican teams are far better than the players missing in the mls teams due to injury,and those players from both the mls and FMF could of change the outcome of the results.

For example Santos laguna didnt have Luduena for none of their matches and their striker C. Benitez was injured.
    Were was Atlantes playmaker F.Perreyra, was he injured, suspended, why didnt he play.
    He could of change the outcome of the game

I know there is no defending the actions Atlante took.
    Its just that its frustrating for mexican teams to loose against mls teams,because of the way the MLS play they pressure the opponent close down the angles give their fare share of fouls just like atlante and counter attack.
    You guys no you werent playing against the same Atlante that one the mexican league right?
    Or Dynamo playing against the best pachuca, or the best santos, or the best chivas, these teams are barely recovering their rithym.
    Now, beating a mexican team in a Copa sudamericana or CCL when they will have to go play a mexican team in their home stadiums having their fans presurring the refs. then that would mean way more and make the mexican teams realize that they will have to step up their game from now on.

REVS were the better team tactically and they leave it all in the field. Their strikers running and defending down the lane preasuring like if they were playing in the world cup for their country.Thats what sets the mls teams apart from all the other leagues the mls teams go all out.Chasing the ball and going at it with all their might.
    I respect that and admire it aswell, but technaclly there still far behind the mexican teams.
    For example if any of these goalkeepers Sanchez,Calero, Cristante or Ochoa and even Atlantes keeper Vilar played in the MLS they would be the best keeper in the league no question.Just look at Blanco with Chigago fire his doing more for that team than Beckham is doing for Galaxy sports wise.

Well congrats and ill be watching the finals between the best teams in the MLS.

19. Jeremy Goodwin

Jeremy Goodwin Member+

SSC Napoli
    Feb 16, 1999
    Club:
    Montreal Impact
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Five reds for Atlante...I've never seen that kind of line before.

MLS injury report: July 30:

NEW ENGLAND REVOLUTION
    QUESTIONABLE: MF Gary Flood (L ankle sprain); MF Pat Phelan (concussion); GK Doug Warren (R ankle sprain); PROBABLE: FW Adam Cristman (R toe sprain); FW Taylor Twellman (R hip strain)

20. johnh00

johnh00 Member

Apr 25, 2001
    CT, USA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm guessing we'll move Igwe over and start Tierney at left back? Or we could put Ralston in back, move Castro to a-mid and start Smith.

21. disturbanist

disturbanist Member

Jun 16, 2008
    Boston / Vermont
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    New England: 3 Yellow, 1 Red

Atlante: 5 Yellow, 5 Red

22. rmcgo

rmcgo New Member

Nov 12, 2007
    Massachusetts

After tonight, I doubt that Villa would even be allowed to play in the MLS. He is a disgrace and what he did tonight should embarrass every member of Atlante.

23. bosterosoy

bosterosoy New Member

Jan 22, 2007
    In a House
    Nothing comes near the players missing and out of action for the Revoluton throughout this season and the SuperLiga tournament.

24. SirFozzie

SirFozzie Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 17, 2001
    Franklin, MA
    Quick change. The final was originally scheduled for the 5th at TEN PM. They just announced that it will now be at EIGHT PM Eastern

25. bosterosoy

bosterosoy New Member

Jan 22, 2007
    In a House
    that sounds more reasonable