Bradley Transfer News, Phase IV. [Multiple Rs]

Discussion in 'Yanks Abroad' started by bungadiri, Jul 12, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mitrita

mitrita Member

Aug 6, 2002
    NL
    Tx, Barda has already been mentioned before some weeks ago. Maybe this is now getting serius.

2. Friedel'sAccent

Friedel'sAccent Member+

Jul 7, 2006
    Providence, RI
    Club:
    Reading FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Who did this translation? Does James Joyce work for Babelfish? :eek:

And if I owned all the single malt scotch in the world, I'd make people call me Lord Peat. :D

3. City Dave

City Dave Member

Jan 26, 2007
    Cleveland, OH
    Club:
    Cleveland C. S.
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That's a sig worthy quote there.

I love it when translator programs translate the proper nouns, too, much fun.

4. GoTimbers

GoTimbers New Member

Sep 17, 2007
    Oregon City
    I had a buddy in college write his paper (that was suppose to be in Spanish) in english and then had it translated. I never let him live it down when he got a D. I am just surprised that the professor didn't realize it was a poor translation :eek:. I'll let him know to write in James Joyce vintage to get a better translation.

5. Rainer24

Rainer24 Member

Jan 6, 2008
    Nashville, TN
    Club:
    VfB Stuttgart
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

I had class with a girl that did that in a fourth year German class, and then attempted to turn it into a native-speaking, tenured professor. Some people are simply stupid. She failed the class and had no grounds for complaint, seeing how she technically should have been expelled for that little stunt.

6. City Dave

City Dave Member

Jan 26, 2007
    Cleveland, OH
    Club:
    Cleveland C. S.
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I don't understand how you could go through three years of German and then qualify for a fourth year and not be able to pull off a better paper than a translator?
    I had four years of German myself, too bad i've forgotten nearly all of it. But I'm sure that I could have done a heck of a lot better, with the aid of a dictionary, than any translator program during my fourth year.

7. Just Blaze

Just Blaze Member

Jun 19, 2007
    NoVa temporarily
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    In Spanish IV in high school, I got accused of using a translator in spite of the fact that my paper was entirely correct in grammar and spelling.

I used a word from my Spanish-English dictionary that the teacher wouldn't have used, so that was apparently enough for a flying leap of logic.

8. GoTimbers

GoTimbers New Member

Sep 17, 2007
    Oregon City
    In my buddy's case, it was write a legit paper or go on a drinking binge. The seeds we sow...

9. mitrita

mitrita Member

Aug 6, 2002
    NL
    Nothing new on Mike here.

Meanwhile H’veen have announced that they are researching plans for further extension of the stadium to possibly a capacity of 44.000. Remember, the town itself has only a population of 30.000. One of the keyfactors in it are plans from the dutch FA to make a bid for the World Cup 2018

10. TimB4Last

TimB4Last Member+

May 5, 2006
    Dystopia
    http://blogs.nypost.com/sports/soccer/archives/2008/08/red_bulls_targe.html

Which means trying to come up with enough allocation money to meet Atlanta’s asking price {for USL phenom Macoumba Kandji}; when asked if a possible sell-on clause for Michael Bradley would help that if he gets transferred by the end of the month, Osorio admitted it would.

“If that takes place it would make things easier for us,’’ Osorio said. “We all know money is a big issue. If we’re going to get some money, we get a better chance of getting somebody in here, yes.’’

I've heard about this sell-on clause before. How much money are we talking about and - obviously related - how much does this cut into H'veen's incentive to transfer MB? Are we talking pennies on the dollar or a significant cut of the action?

11. Gorky

Gorky Member+

Jul 28, 2006
    NYC
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I've heard 10% mentioned as a possible number, but I don't think anyone knows for sure.

12. OWN(yewu)ED

OWN(yewu)ED Member+

Club: Venezia F.C.
    May 26, 2006
    chico, CA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    http://soccernet.espn.go.com/news/story?id=565131&sec=england&cc=5901

Moyes is getting desperate with Tiago turning him down. He still wants to sign "7 or 8 players" according to this piece before the window closes. Id still very much love a move to Goodisen Park for Bradley. Hell 7 or 8 players a guy like Landon Donovan could take heed of that and fight for a spot.

13. DaPrince84

DaPrince84 Member+

Aug 22, 2001
    MD
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    that has turned into a really bad and desperate situation

14. mitrita

mitrita Member

Aug 6, 2002
    NL
    it's 50% for MLS

15. mcnaulty21

mcnaulty21 Member

Feb 6, 2007
    Wisconsin
    Club:
    Fulham FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Like I keep saying, there's a spot on the back of my Everton waiting for Bradley's name

16. TimB4Last

TimB4Last Member+

May 5, 2006
    Dystopia
    I'm going to define 50% as significant. No wonder we're having so much trouble moving the merchandise.

Would you like to share the source of your information?

17. oldguyfc

oldguyfc New Member

Sep 26, 2006
    Chicago
    I think he's right, and I heard that from a pretty reliable source that I would never reveal to you:D.

18. TimB4Last

TimB4Last Member+

May 5, 2006
    Dystopia
    50%!?! Who thought that was a good idea? 50% might be reasonable to prevent someone from turning around a flipping a player immediately, but this far into MB's contract? He only has a year left, correct?

If H'veen's cut is only 50%, that is a tremendous disincentive to dealing. Might as well keep him.

19. oldguyfc

oldguyfc New Member

Sep 26, 2006
    Chicago
    And lose him for free?
    He's in a tough spot, and free transfers don't reap the bigger dollars for the player in the end. He'll lose some substantial coinage if he isn't sold by the end of the summer transfer window; and so will 'veen. They may want to look at the "bird in hand" thing before they end up with nada.

20. mitrita

mitrita Member

Aug 6, 2002
    NL
    50% is a kind of compensation for the tranferfee that brought him from MLS to H'veen. I'm not sure but I think it was only $ 100.000.
    Frankly I don't have a direct source but it is kind of common knowledge over here

21. mitrita

mitrita Member

Aug 6, 2002
    NL
    I wouldn't call having a player in your roster like Mike for another season to end up with "nada". My guess however still is that there will be some last minute "'escape" for Mike, the clock is ticking....

22. TimB4Last

TimB4Last Member+

May 5, 2006
    Dystopia
    I was going to say that MLS is staring at 'nada' as the clock ticks down. At least H'veen gets his services for another season (assuming no transfer).

Why not ask MLS to chop their cut in half?

This also seems like a classic case for potential collusion.

When's the deadline - a week from Monday?

23. mitrita

mitrita Member

Aug 6, 2002
    NL
    Next sunday 12.00 PM CET

24. oldguyfc

oldguyfc New Member

Sep 26, 2006
    Chicago
    I didn't mean any disrespect, it's just that there are plenty of "ifs". Injury, national team call-ups in a qualifying year(s); and I was specifically talking about money, and I think I made that pretty clear.

25. shotcallin04

shotcallin04 Member

Feb 12, 2008
    Well it certainly is getting desperate at Everton. No Tiago, no Moutinho, and no M'bia (yet). If I were H'veen, I would certainly be awaiting an offer for Bradley. I don't see anyone left in the market that would need Bradley as much as Everton.