Newbies, feedback, and the Olsen (NOT Beckham!) effect

Discussion in 'D.C. United' started by RayWhitney, Jun 30, 2008.

1. RayWhitney

RayWhitney Member

Jun 23, 2005
    Laurel, MD
    Sirs et Mesdames:

I brought a newbie to Sunday's match. Specifically, I brought my boss's boss (MBB), along with his two five-year-old boys. I would like to share this experience and his feedback.

As a little background, I won four tickets in last week's Behind the Badge contest/raffle (thanks, Kyle). It was last-minute (Friday morning), so I had to scramble to find someone to join me. I remembered that MBB's boys had just finished a week at soccer camp, so I invited them to join me. They accepted, and we sat in section 403.

Before we got to the stadium, MBB was setting my expectations:

• "I hope you won't mind if we bail-out early..."
    • "They have no attention spans..."
    • "I'm not much of a soccer guy..."
    Fair enough, I thought. I had nothing to lose, professionally or personally. It was simply an opportunity to evangelize.

We met by the inflatable soccer park near the tailgate (they were late, so they did not get to see Batala or the massivity of the event). The boys ran around, as boys will--nothing unusual, nothing unexpected.

We went into the stadium and were on the ramps heading to the upper deck when the teams were being announced. I stopped and brought the lads to a spot where they could see the supporters' sections. I pointed and said: "You see those people over there? See how they are bouncing up and down? They're going to do that all game long." MBB rolled his eyes and "played along."

We got to our seats at just about the same time as the unveiling of the magnificent Ben Olsen display. The boys thought it was really cool, MBB was interested and curious, and he listened intently as I explained about tifo, supporters, and Ben.

The game began, and I did my best to narrate to a 40-something and two 5-year-olds. It seemed to be working, because they were all into it. Of course, the boys sometimes got confused as to who we were cheering for (white or black jerseys). However, that was not the point.

The point is that they were enjoying themselves.

The boys kept watching the supporters (and everything else) and were excited by everything. The scoring did not hurt, but it was not the focus. They were drinking it all in.

The game played on, and at some point MBB leaned over and said, "this is a LOT better than baseball or football. We need to get a group from work to come to this."

I asked him what he liked about it.

He mentioned that the game keeps moving, that the fans are into it--start to finish--and that there are no stupid stadium things (like canned music). He liked the organic spectacle. He liked the idea of tailgating beforehand. He also appreciated the speed of the game. "It's faster than I thought it would be."

Then came Olsen.

I could see Ben warming up, and it was clear--based on the back-slaps he was getting from everyone on the touchline--that he would be coming on. When he took off the pinny and headed down the sideline, I said to MBB: "If Ben comes on, look out. This place will go crazy."

True to form, he came on. The place went crazy.

MBB looked at me and said: "Wow."

A few minutes later he said: "I don't think I have ever seen anything quite like that. That was cool."

The boys clued into it and started shouting "Ben." Eventually, though, they wore out--but not until the 85th minute.

We left just as the whistle blew. In the end, who knows what a couple of five-year-olds will take away with them. Hopefully a pleasant memory that they can forward into their own games.

But, the real impact is MBB. He has been talking it up all day. He keeps mentioning (to others) how much fun he had. He talked about the bouncing stands, and how amazed he was that "They didn't stop! It was, like, 100-degrees out there and they kept going. They're maniacs."

He keeps mentioning how much better it is from baseball/football. He also keeps mentioning what a great idea it is to take our group (from work) to a game.

We will be getting tickets to the next Thursday night game. Unfortunately, it is October 15th. Fortunately, it is New England.

We may have a convert--and it had little to do with Beckham. He keeps talking about the supporters and Olsen, and what a fun game it is.

So, that is why I call it the Olsen effect. Beckham may have been the initial draw, but stickiness (in Malcolm Gladwell's terms, not that other way, you perv) was achieved by passion in the stands.

The value is in the venue.

There it is.

2. beltwayrob

beltwayrob New Member

Jun 15, 2004
    Alexandria, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The best thing about this story is that it isn't that uncommon. I and various friends of mine have brought several friends to various games over the last few years and while the results vary as far as their level of interest after their initial encounter they are always amazed by the passion of the fans, the energy on and off the field. Even when there aren't a lot of goals scored. I think the reaction of your "MBB" is a lot of the reason why the supporters groups have gotten as large as they have. It just goes to show that once someone is willing to give soccer a chance, they'll be amazed at how much they like the sport.

3. shawn12011

shawn12011 Member+

Jun 15, 2001
    Reisterstown, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Great story. I love how he did not believe the groups would bring it for the full 90 in the heat and then saw the results.

4. RayWhitney

RayWhitney Member

Jun 23, 2005
    Laurel, MD
    Sirs:

Thanks for your replies.

Shawn keyed into one of the key messages. Ironically, MBB just stopped by my office and mentioned it again.

Yesterday was a fantastic example of what it is all about. I truly feel sorry for those supporters who do not get the support from the front office that United supporters realize.

Accolades should be shared with Kevin Payne for his vision and support. We would be nothing without him.

There it is.

5. BBBulldog

BBBulldog Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 25, 2004
    Dinamo Zagreb
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Croatia
    see, for every soccer mom we scare off we bring someone else in :D email it to DC FO :p

6. Bootsy Collins

Bootsy Collins Player of the Year

Oct 18, 2004
    Capitol Hill
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Indeed. I actually have a lot of respect for those supporters that keep on trying to bring it strong in spite of an indifferent or sometimes hostile team F.O.

7. song219

song219 BigSoccer Supporter

Apr 5, 2004
    La Norte
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Vanuatu
    Its kind of amazing. For the Quakes game a man brought his daughter & while they seemed somewhat interested I thought this way just a father-daughter outing, the La Norte atomsphere would be too extreme & it was unlikely we'd see them again. Instead the very next week it's the father, his wife, son & daughter with us. I wish I could remember the name of any of them.

8. Nerroth

Nerroth Member

Feb 9, 2008
    Ontario, Canada
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    Sounds like a great time!

Alas, I have no idea when/if I'll be able to go - hooray for being a long-distance fan...

9. DC06

DC06 Member+

Oct 9, 2006
    Within amile of home
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I love stories like this. I converted my brother this year when he came with me to the Barra. He said afterwards, "I cannot go back to baseball, I just can't".

That from a lifelong Reds fan who had attended at least 100 games.

I'm set on converting my non-soccer (non-sport even) friends to try it once, it's like a drug, once you see DC united and experience the atmosphere, you just need it.

10. mcontento

mcontento Member

Jun 26, 2000
    Catalina Wine Mixer
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Next game you should invite YBB again but ask him if he wants to get a little closer to the action (depending on how old his boys are you may want to suggest he not bring them). Get some seats in the Barra-Lite area and buy him a beer and tell him about some of the traditions of being a supporter like standing, jumping and how after every goal the supporters throw their beer into the air. "Its a tradition" ;). Since we all know United wins every home game 4-1 these days there will be plenty of opportunities for him to do that.

My guess? By the second goal he'll be tossing his beer cup. By the third goal he'll be standing on his seat (if he wasn't already) and by the 65th minute he'll be yelling "FU Ref!" with everyone else. At the end of the game he'll have a shit eating grin and say this was the best fan experience of his life.

11. Boggle

Boggle New Member

May 5, 2007
    NWDC
    Club:
    Aston Villa FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Like everyone else, I think this is a fantastic story and a testament to how Soccer will become a Major sport here in the States in the future.

12. seahawkdad

seahawkdad Spoon!!!

Jun 2, 2000
    Lincoln, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Great story. Thanks for taking the time to tell it.

I only wish United would realize they could pull the plug on the stadium music when, about 10 minutes before kick off, the supporters groups are in the stadium and are in full voice.

At that point our FO will have finally gotten it...how to assist in the delivery of the pure organic spectacle that your boss' boss liked.

13. BigKris

BigKris Member

Jan 17, 2005
    Falls Church, VA
    Yeah, and then he'll become a regular and you'll run into him every week and then all of a sudden you gotta watch yourself at the tailgates and in the stands because you don't know what YBB might see on Saturday or Sunday and form an impression of you that sticks with him on Monday. So suddenly you're trying to clean up your act, watch your language, not drink too much...

Thanks but no thanks. I'll introduce my friends to the Barra but not anyone who's above me in the corporate food chain.

14. DC_United

DC_United Member

May 8, 2008
    Fantastic! I too love bringing people to games and talking up soccer and DC United. Nothing beats the feeling when a critic of soccer actually goes to a match and learns to appreciate the game.

The problem I come across is they love the game but then can't be bothered to attend another unless I set it up again. Very glad to see your the boss of your boss taking the leadership role in setting something up. Wish my work did!!

Great story and thanks for the read! An inspiration to us all of the potential crowd numbers DCU can bring to every game with more time. Now if only we had a soccer specific stadium that was built around the idea of keeping the sound in instead of letting it out, then the effect of yesterday would grow tenfold!! Come on DC help us out!!!

15. Sundevil9

Sundevil9 Member

Nov 23, 1999
    Reston, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It's a great story Ray, I hope others learn from your example in sharing the tickets.

I know you mentioned going to the next home Thursday game, I don't know your general logistics for this, but here's a gentle reminder that United has two Tuesday games coming up this month. Sooner may be a good way to set the hook you've set.

16. GrillMaster

GrillMaster Member

Aug 31, 2000
    Alexandria, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Ha, Ha! What I wanna know is what he thought of the kilt! :D

GM

17. ControlledChaos

ControlledChaos New Member

Jun 6, 2008
    Omaha, NE
    Somewhat related story...If you want to call it a story.

My roommate's friend, who lives in NJ, is thinking about buying season tickets to the Red Bulls next year. I immediately forewarned her to tell him that he needs to be careful of what he's doing and the lifelong stigma this will cause.

I will be seeing him on Wednesday...and trying to talk him out of it. I'm hoping to bring him to a United game sometime soon..

I mean, the tickets at NY/NJ Red Bulls are even more expensive than DC United's season tickets! ...Geh, I'm looking forward to this heart-to-heart with him.

18. mcontento

mcontento Member

Jun 26, 2000
    Catalina Wine Mixer
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Depends on the boss...chances are if he's all of a sudden going to the tailgates and hanging with la Barra during the games then there is a good chance Ray will get to see the big boss doing a keg stand. Something which is invaluable for job security, promotions and getting out of the dog house if you ever were to get in it with your boss.

19. RayWhitney

RayWhitney Member

Jun 23, 2005
    Laurel, MD
    Noble sirs:

Responses for many of you...

On Job Security...

Based on what he tells me of his past, I am largely unconcerned. Rather, I think mcontento has it nailed:

Regarding Schedule...

Absolutely true. However, he was concerned about the heat and vacation schedules. In his prefect world, a midweek game will pop up in September.

An who am I to argue. He controls the budget, after all...

Who Buys the Tix?

In truth...he is MBB, so I will be doing the legwork.

And that is perfectly fine with me. I can control the schedule and the seating, and help with the logistics of the tailgate to ensure a good experience for all. Evangelism with a soft touch, that is my goal.

And the Best for Last (Honors to the Master...)

True story: When relating much of this to my boss, she told me in no uncertain terms that I will be wearing my kilt for the match.

This will be difficult: how does one drink just enough to be comfortable in such garb with one's co-workers, while retaining enough sobriety to function... Ah, that professional balance...

I look forward to the experience.

There it is.

20. Winoman

Winoman Drinkin' Wine Spo-De-O-De!

Jul 26, 2000
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Forsooth, Ray. She wants to watch you bounce! :eek:

FYP! :D

21. Stadium-Armory

Sep 6, 2006
    H Street NE
    Club:
    DC United
    Not to highjack the thread, but I found a post on the extremeskins board about an experience for a newbie at the NYRB 4-1 smack down game.

Put a smile on my face.

22. RayWhitney

RayWhitney Member

Jun 23, 2005
    Laurel, MD

Sir:

I don't read it as a threadjack.

This is what it is all about. These stories are valuable, and worth sharing in and out of time.

There it is.