News: Eloy Released

Discussion in 'Sporting Kansas City' started by Buzz Killington, Jun 19, 2008.

1. Buzz Killington

Buzz Killington Member+

Oct 6, 2002
    Lee's Summit
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  2. pete99

pete99 New Member

Apr 2, 2006
    Kansas
    so i rarely post on here. i read practically everything though, and it seems like all i've read this year is that eloy deserves more time and is one of our better attacking options. with that being said, the news of him being released can only elicit the question "why?".

3. Felixx219

Felixx219 BigSoccer Supporter

Nov 8, 2004
    Kansas City, MO
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I just dont understand it. Unless it was a locker room issue, it makes no sense. We have some players (Pore and Morsink) that have no issue playing in MLS but we let a player that always put a strong effort in and has a good amount of skill go?

I am really starting to question the personnel decisions made by this staff.

4. s0ccerstud86

s0ccerstud86 Member

Aug 19, 2005
    Columbia, Mo
    What makes this even more interesting is the huge raise we gave him in the offseason. He went from making $42,000 last year to $70,750 this year. He was making more than several starters (Harrington, Jewsbury, Pore, and double the likes of Sealy, Morsink, Wahl).

5. Jarnevic

Jarnevic BigSoccer Supporter

Apr 21, 2005
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    There must be some striker, somewhere that we're looking to sign.

Hopefully.

6. Buzz Killington

Buzz Killington Member+

Oct 6, 2002
    Lee's Summit
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I believe there is a contract day coming up where teams have to pay a certain amount of the contract I think. I thought I read that somewhere on here.

Also it does technically open up a senior roster spot if we were looking at someone....

7. the_cyclones

the_cyclones New Member

Jul 26, 2004
    The Cauldron
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That opens up a lot of salary space then to replace him.

8. gfox

gfox New Member

Oct 28, 2007
    Kansas City, MO
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm dissapointed if this is true... Eloy, thank you for the game winning assist against Columbus last year.

9. Uppa 90

Uppa 90 Member

Jan 16, 2004
    K.C. MO
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    uhh... wth? seriously?

i am not saying that he is the greatest or anything... but when trying to put the best product on the field produces that last game v. Columbus, and Eloy doesn't even make the subs list, and then now releasing him, seems as though these are not supportive of, hmm, let's think, winning at all...

Vermes - if this is your decision - giant step backwards...

please, i need some reason why this is good for the rest of the season...

10. kopiteinkc

kopiteinkc Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 1, 2000
    Shawnee
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    I have to think Onalfo and Vermes have someone lined up to replace him. Cap space and roster space freed up now, allowing them to make a move.

I assume a forward who can play with Lopez. Many of us have been calling for a target forward. We'll see. Columbano tended to play more on the wing, as Arnaud is now healthy again the gap is in the middle with Lopez.

Interesting move, let's hope there is a new player coming in and he lights a fire under the team.

11. HarveyWallbangers

HarveyWallbangers New Member

Jun 18, 2008
    Minneapolis
    I think I read that contracts are guaranteed if the player is still on the team on July 1st.

12. Diego Pasley

Diego Pasley Member

Jun 26, 2005
    Lake Ozark, MO
    My speculation:

Eloy wanted out, and was allowed to leave. He asked to be allowed to return home weeks ago and pissed some players and the team off. Thus, no passing to him when he was on the field ("He doesn't want to be here, fine...then he isn't right there wide open") and limited playing time. It is the only logical thing I can think of. It is the only situation that makes sense. I have a hard time believing he was a locker room cancer unless he was screaming at Lopez in Argie. If my speculation is not correct, then I am doubly dissapointed this week. Even if the team is looking to add a striker, it is not like our midfield is stellar enough to dump a skilled player like Eloy to go get one. With a new striker we still have no one in the middle to get the ball forward, so what good does it do!

13. the_cyclones

the_cyclones New Member

Jul 26, 2004
    The Cauldron
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yeah, 70K and he's an International. Maybe we acquire the rights of another international already in MLS? or bringing over a Hungarian? What team was PV looking at recently?

14. SombraAla

SombraAla Member+

Apr 2, 2006
    Waldo (Kansas City)
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    :mad: :mad: (what the hell, you can only have 3 smilies in a post?)

:(

Stupid... one of my favorite players, would really like to know what happened here... perhaps it's a money thing but from what I can figure (roughly, of course) from the salaries on the MLS Player's Union site and whatnot, we have ~$400,000 open... someone correct me if I'm wrong here (of course). And unless I'm mistaken, we don't have much to worry about in regards to international spots...

I just don't understand.

15. Diego Pasley

Diego Pasley Member

Jun 26, 2005
    Lake Ozark, MO
    If this rumor is true, then this statement from the article on the club website seems a bit contradictory unless this move has been planned for a while:

Said technical director Peter Vermes: "The key in these types of situations is you can't panic. You can't, all of a sudden, make these drastic changes. You have to be smart on how you approach them, and you have to have a real resolution to the problems that you have."

16. Jarnevic

Jarnevic BigSoccer Supporter

Apr 21, 2005
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I will say that I am a little surprised at how many people seem disappointed by this. To me, Eloy was one of those "take it or leave it" players. If he's on the team, whatever. If he's not on the team, whatever.

I personally didn't see enough out of his minutes to really develop any opinion whatsoever.

17. Diego Pasley

Diego Pasley Member

Jun 26, 2005
    Lake Ozark, MO
    suspense......is.......killing......me!

18. Buzz Killington

Buzz Killington Member+

Oct 6, 2002
    Lee's Summit
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Not in regards to international spots, but our roster was full, we have 18 senior roster players and 10 dev players.

If anything this has to be a roster space move.

19. vividox

vividox Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 10, 2005
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    I hope this has some significance to it. If Eloy really did not want to be here anymore, we might not be seeing any replacement whatsoever. If this is a strategic move to try to bring in a player to make a difference... why the hell not keep him until we announce the player and then in a paragraph at the bottom of the announcement write "Midfielder Eloy Colombano was released to free up the roster spot and cap salary needed to obtain Joe Soccerplayer"?

I wish our FO would be a little more up front with us on moves like this, I'd kind of like to know is this is a strategy or a casualty.

20. MtMike

MtMike Member+

Nov 18, 1999
    the 417
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    no feelings either way. He wasn't really that great. We're obviously making room for Brian McBride...

21. Buzz Killington

Buzz Killington Member+

Oct 6, 2002
    Lee's Summit
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm pretty sure it wasn't a move that he requested.

As for waiting to announce the player signing and letting him go at the same time, see Harvey's post, contracts are guaranteed on July 1, yeah it's only the 19th, but they had to be sure they got rid of Eloy's salary before it became guaranteed. Not defending the move, because I never thought Eloy got a fair chance, but that's my line of thinking in this.

22. morry

morry Member

Jun 17, 2006
    Denver- Captial Hill
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Anyone actually know BMB's status? Would he be a DP? Would we have to be in that weird pool thing to get him??

The idea of BMB makes my little FFC heart bounce.

23. Buzz Killington

Buzz Killington Member+

Oct 6, 2002
    Lee's Summit
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Some reports say he won't be a DP. He's going to take an allocation apparently.

But don't even think to get your hopes up, it's got no chance of happening.

24. worldsoccer217

worldsoccer217 New Member

Oct 31, 2007
    Kansas City
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'll throw my 2 cents in here because I really liked Eloy since he was a "balls to the wall guy" when he came in and because of the fact that I got to talk to him (in Spanish) after games and at practice and he always had the time for the fans (that he could understand):D

I think that this might be a case of:

1. He's frustrated since he gets no playing time (after being a starter at Defensa and Justicia); I see him as a natural forward and CO playing Pore more than him would frustrate anyone; or

2. He couldn't adapt to the culture. This might seem stupid but he did go back to Argentina during preseason to see his wife and joined the team when they got there and he also left a few weeks ago. His wife, I don't believe is here and he's been here 1 1/2 seasons which makes adapting alot harder by yourself, even harder with a new baby at home you don't get to see.(I could be wrong since it has been about 2 months since I talked to him but I did see Piojo's and MArinelli's wive's while Eloy hangs around with Trujillo).

All I can say is that I hope it isn't true but wish him the best. I wish a few more players ran as hard as he did every time he played.

25. KCBearcat

KCBearcat New Member

Nov 16, 2004
    Kansas City
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Maybe they're opening roster/cap room for one of the Hungarians that Peter looked at either earlier this month or late last month...