PDL Panama City Pirates 2008

Discussion in 'United Soccer Leagues' started by Bama, May 1, 2008.

1. Bama

Bama New Member

Feb 27, 2006
    Tallahassee, FL
  2. ButlerBob

ButlerBob Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 13, 2001
    Evanston, IL
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It would be interesting to hear more about this team. There isn't a lot of information on the team site. It seems like of the players listed with information, a number are from; Tuscoulm College, Univ of West Florida and Univ of Mobile. One of their keepers is listed at 6'5", Aaron Ingham.

3. The Englishman

The Englishman New Member

May 12, 2008
    Panama City Beach
    Player ratings out of ten for the Bradenton game:

GK: Joe Nasco. Didn't have to do that much despite the Pirates being under pressure for most of the game. Would watch for long shots as his positioning isn't great. 6

LB:
    Dean Sorell. Not bad, a few good interventions, needs to work on his zonal marking responsibilities. 6

RB:
    Matt Watts. Had a tough game against a spritely winger, winning the ball only once in five or six attempts. Was very vocal, tried to keep things organised. Looked tired and didn't want to provide support going forward with the midfield. 5

CD:
    Trey Gregory. Enthusiastic but probably playing out of position. Not bad, nothing to write home about. Was caught out by the through ball for the goal, ball prevented a similar attempt beforehand. More to come? 5

CD:
    John Lesko. Solid. Best Pirate on the pitch. Worked hard, got stuck in and let the opposition know he was there. My kind of player. Looks like he tired halfway into the second half and was substituted. Has potential. 7

CM:
    Nicholas Mroczkowski. Played a very good holding role in the midfield. Hardly put a foot wrong. Was shifted to right back late on in a tactical switch, taking him out of the game. 7

CM:
    ConsthanDivine Harris. Played out of position? Wasn't impressed at all. Was substituted five minutes before halftime. 5

RM: Lost note, Kenneth Robinson? Did alright. Nothing to write rave reviews about though. 6

LM:
    Two-Boys Gumede. Seriously lacking a decent first touch and positional awareness, but worked hard, tried to be inventive and made the goal. 7

CF:
    Johnathan Glenn. Seriously unimpressed. Doesn't know how to keep shin pads in his socks. Looked lethargic and didn't get involved. Tried to get a player booked. 4

CF:
    Jimmy McHenry. Tried to get involved, dropped off the line and worked for the ball on the wings. Nice little dink over the keeper for his goal. With a decent supply he may score more. 7
    Subs:

Anteneh Lemma. Came on early, made an impression. 6

Bruno Conceição. Looking for more appearances from him. Worked hard, chased down errant through balls and looks like a much better forward than Glenn. 6

Pat Cannon. Reminds me of the typical, hard working English holding midfielder. Well earned yellow card. Would like to him and Mroczkowski control the midfield together. 6

Clay Watkins? No more goals, couldn't have been that bad.

4. The Englishman

May 12, 2008
    Panama City Beach
    Match review:

vs Bradenton Academics May 10th Gavlak Stadium, PCB.

First impressions of a local US football team:

The Good:

It looks as though the Pirates have a few players who could make a pass at professional football if given the chance of proper coaching and man management.

John Lesko is a big, powerful centre half with decent situational awareness, a keen ability to get stuck in and he's not one to shy away from challenges. He played well, snuffing out a good number of Bradenton opportunities in the first half.

Nicholas Mroczkowski marshalled the midfield nicely in the holding role, sitting back deep just off of the defense much like Claude Makelele does. It was a shame that he was moved to right back later in the game as I think the team benefits a lot more with him where he was.

Pat Cannon influenced the game well, spreading the ball around effectively and he got stuck in with plenty of spirit. The yellow card looked like it was a little bit of revenge for the handbags incident a minute before his tackle and I think he wanted to show the kids what a real challenge is. Very pleasing. I'd love to see him and Nick boss the midfield together.

Bruno Conceição looks like a hungry player. I can only imagine that he has a knee injury (note the strap) or has fitness issues that prevented him from starting in place of Glenn. More please!

The Bad:

Jonathan Glenn needs to pull his socks up... literally and figuratively. Nothing irks me more than seeing a kid given the privilege of playing in front of a paying crowd who cannot take the time to be professional enough to A, make sure his socks are pulled and tied so his tiny shin pads don't fall out... and they did, and B, be so unsporting as to try and get another player booked for any challenge, let alone one no one had a right to complain about. Somebody please, give him a role model to look up to and learn from on and off the field.

The Downright UGLY:

One of the basic fundamentals of football is that you don't play square balls across the face of goal. Let me repeat that: DO NOT PLAY SQUARE BALLS ACROSS THE FACE OF GOAL. If the Pirates don't give up a goal to this shambolic display at least once this season I'll eat my hat... and it's a nice hat.

Also, if in doubt, get it out. Seeing players trying to play their way out of trouble should have cost us two or three goals were it not for the lackadaisical shooting of the opposition and a few timely challenges from Gregory and Lesko.

Only one shot from any real distance was on target, everything went over the bar. Why aren't the strikers taught to keep their heads over the ball and at least make the keeper work? At this level every player on the pitch should be working on the basics and getting them right before moving on to things like advanced shot placement.

The game:

In all honesty Bradenton should have wrapped this up by 60 minutes, by three goals, but a combination of dogged defending and a lack of striker's instinct kept the Pirates in the game. The Bradenton goal, created via a deft through ball that caught Gregory and Lesko napping, was well earned and they were the better side in the first half.

The back four was fairly solid but fell prey to Bradenton's winger, (number 18, name to be supplied) , who gave Englishman Matt Watts a torrid time up until he was moved to centre forward in the second half.

This switch gave the Pirates a break, allowing their counter attacks to develop and their patient, build from the back style to grow. Eventually Jimmy McHenry sneaked in past the Bradenton right back and dinked a bobbling effort over the advancing keeper and it rolled into the net just before the nearest central defender could hoof it clear.

All in all no one can complain. Off to a slow start but a few player's fitness showed and that paid off. I'm looking forward to seeing how the coach sets the midfield and how he is going to link the back five (including the dependable Mroczkowski) with the four players who want to be up the field at all times.

But then Pirate ships take a little time to get up to full speed, right?

Thoughts for the future:

The midfield is definitely the trouble area but utilising the steadfast talents of the steadfast Mroczkowski and tenacious Cannon to shore up the all important central midfield battle will help plenty.

I would also use McHenry and Conceição together and see if McHenry can use his floating predator style to play off of the hard working Brazilian, who should probably be used as a target man come channel runner.

But first and foremost, working on anchoring the center midfield to help free up the wingers should be a priority, and mixing through balls and crosses should see the Pirates gain a little more success.

5. Bama

Bama New Member

Feb 27, 2006
    Tallahassee, FL
    Awesome to see player rankings! And what's more, player rankings that are pretty spot on. Although, I would have to disagree with the grade given to John Lesko. While Lesko did a fairly good job most of the time, there were three or four instances where he passed out of the back only to have it intercepted by 18 (Seabrook... can't remember first name) and almost taken in for goals. Granted on those, he did a good job catching up to his man and snuffing out the attack, but he created twice the workload for himself. Otherwise, great analysis.

6. Bama

Bama New Member

Feb 27, 2006
    Tallahassee, FL
    Power Rankings for PDL Southeast:

1 Central Florida Kraze
    2 Carolina Dynamo
    3 Nashville Metros
    4 Bradenton Academics
    5 Atlanta Silverbacks U-23s
    6 Cary Railhawks U-23s
    7 Panama City Pirates
    8 Palm Beach Pumas

blog.myspace.com/panamacitypirates

7. The Englishman

May 12, 2008
    Panama City Beach
    I am in full agreement with Lesko's worrysome passing, but gave him the benefit of the doubt due to the fact I thought he was still the best player on the pitch. Were it not for his recovery tackles and the fact he ran out of steam I would have given him an 8. I did mention the 'if in doubt get it out' ideal in the downright ugly paragraph and hopefully this is something that he will take learn from his coach.

8. SockerGenious

SockerGenious New Member

May 12, 2008
    Good analysis, and I didn't even see you take any notes!

The Pirates looked like a team that hasn't played much together. Some flashes of playmaking ability, but there were a lot of passes to the invisible man as well.

Was a decent showing for a team that just received their officials unis a day or two earlier, but it could have gotten ugly if Bradenton was capable of capitalizing on defensive breakdowns and putting their shots on goal.

9. Bama

Bama New Member

Feb 27, 2006
    Tallahassee, FL
    No kidding. They got real lucky that the other side couldn't finish either. And they haven't played much together. All the guys were finishing up school and didn't get to play together until the day of the first match @ Central Florida. So, I guess that gives a little perspective; most of these guys have known each other for a week. So considering... it could have been a heckuva lot worse.

10. Bama

Bama New Member

Feb 27, 2006
    Tallahassee, FL
    Predictions for this Saturday v. Atlanta?

11. The Englishman

May 12, 2008
    Panama City Beach
    I see goals, I just don't know how many for us. If we have a similar line up to the last match I think we could be in trouble. If the coach makes some changes to shore up the midfield I think we could get lucky.

So for now I'll be optimistic and say a 2-2 draw.

Unfortunately I am away in Orlando for the Elvis Costello and Police's concert and I'll be missing the game.

Luckily I work at WJHG and our sports reporter will have at least half of the match for me to review on Monday.

12. SockerGenious

SockerGenious New Member

May 12, 2008
    I'll say 3-2 Atlanta, but it stands on absolutely no reasoning or informed knowledge. :)

13. Bama

Bama New Member

Feb 27, 2006
    Tallahassee, FL
    Throwing my hat in the ring; I think Joe will keep things close. He's really strong athletically, and even when his positioning is less than perfect, his athleticism and reaction times make up for it, even if he ends up working harder. The defense is what scares me. They work way too hard because of giveaways in the defensive third. As a result, they tire before the end of the game which is ok except for when the team moves forward. They participate in the attack well, but end up exposed on the counter and end up getting burned. bad. Tonight's match ATL v. CFK will tell us a lot more, but I think McHenry's good for a goal, and if they play Bruno, he may be good for one as well. I think coach elliott will make some changes in the back and defensive midfield (or at least I'm hoping so, he's been pretty quick to adjust to the players thus far) and atlanta will be tired, having played thursday and then driven 400 miles on friday. 2-1 PC for their first win. It will be a shame you're not there to see it or report on it, English.

14. SockerGenious

SockerGenious New Member

May 12, 2008
  15. Bama

Bama New Member

Feb 27, 2006
    Tallahassee, FL
    yeah, the article pretty well covers it. Let's say that all of our predictions should have been right, but neither team could put the ball in the back of the net. Except that one time. yeah. that one time.

16. Bama

Bama New Member

Feb 27, 2006
    Tallahassee, FL
    Power Rankings Week 3:

1 Central Florida Kraze: They're running out of places to hide the bodies
    2 Bradenton Academics: Ended Carolina's chance at an Open Cup Berth
    3 Carolina Dynamo: Needed to stop Bradenton; couldn't
    4 Nashville Metros: Hope they enjoyed the week off, they play BRA next
    5 Atlanta Silverbacks U-23s: Could have done better, but got some road pts
    6 Cary Railhawks U-23s: Lost to Dynamo... was anyone surprised?
    7 Panama City Pirates: To win at soccer, scoring goals is essential.
    8 Palm Beach Pumas: Let's hope it's just a difficult opening schedule...

17. srabijr

srabijr New Member

May 20, 2008
    Panhandle, FL
    After attending my first Pirates match on Saturday, I can say that I was impressed by the skill on the field. Although some may disagree, it was their first match with a full roster. And let's not forget that these are amatures not pros. Don't forget that this is a brand new club. All in all I enjoyed my first match and plan on going to many more.:)

18. Bama

Bama New Member

Feb 27, 2006
    Tallahassee, FL
    What kind of things would anybody like to see at Pirates games? What kinds of things are missing? What can be improved on?

19. The Englishman

May 12, 2008
    Panama City Beach
    That's a tough call.

The atmosphere is unlike anything I have experienced. American supporters approach the game in a very odd manner, it's almost as if they're afraid to get involved or offer 'suggestions' to either side. I guess it's just that the passion for the game here is on a low simmer and warming up slowly.

I'll be there on Sunday, up by the press box wearing my bright orange '00/'01 Southend United away shirt (my home team back in Blighty). Come up, say hi, have a chat, I'll buy you a... it's at a high school so beer is out.:D

The game has been rescheduled to 6pm cst.

Thinking of inspiring the fans to sing my favourie Chelsea song; One man went to mow.

It goes like this:

One man went to mow, went to mow a meadow. One man and his dog SPOT! went to mow a meadow.
    Two men went to mow, went to mow a meadow. Two men, one man and his dog SPOT! went to mow a meadow.

And so on up to ten men then three shouts of (in this case) Pirates! *clap clap clap*

I know what you're thinking and I have no idea what it has to do with footy either, but it is my favourite.

B

20. The Englishman

May 12, 2008
    Panama City Beach
    Away Games:

Cary Railhawks 2-1 PC Pirates

Matty Watts set up Bruno to score, I'd love to hear about or see it. The stats suggest that the Railhawks controlled much of the game though which is a shame.

Carolina Dynamos 2-2 PC Pirates

Matty Watts and Lemma get on the score sheet, but Lemma gets sent off on 90 mins. Getting a red card is pointless at the best of times, but at the end of the game? Man.

Looks like we're going to need to score three to win a game.

The Metros lost to the Silverbacks 2-0 and have to travel to Carolina for a game on Saturday then to us for the Sunday game. They lost to Bradenton 2-0 at home. I think we have a chance of getting our first win.

http://www.uslsoccer.com/teams/2008/8969399.html

This page is much more informative than the Pirates homepage and is kept up to date too.

21. Bama

Bama New Member

Feb 27, 2006
    Tallahassee, FL
    In the Lemma send off, word has it he lost is shirt after scoring the second goal. The official match stats don't reflect it, but according to the team, the stats are wrong. he was sent off right after his goal. I asked him about it, and he said he got excited in the heat of the moment and forgot... what he forgot I don't know. I don't know if he forgot he'd get carded, or if he forgot he already had a yellow, or what... nice guy but that was a big mistake. We could use him against Nashville.

22. Bama

Bama New Member

Feb 27, 2006
    Tallahassee, FL
    The game actually is at 6 EST. That is on the USL site. The Panama City Pirates site has it listed at 5, but it's central there. So the game is still at 5 PM LOCAL time, it's just that every home match was apparently in Central when they sent the times to USL, and then the USL put them in Eastern not knowing about the discrepancy, and then had to go back and fix the error.

I agree about the atmosphere. Wish we had a proper supporters group. Being that the nickname is Pirates, there's a lot of fun stuff that could be done. I'd love to see everybody singing my favorite chorus, Red and Black. It goes:

Red, the blood of angry men,
    Black, the dark of ages past
    Red, a world about to dawn,
    Black, the night that ends at last!

Simple, short, easily repeated. But no, it doesn't have a thing to do with football, but I think a good chant doesn't have to. It just has to be noisy. It could be twinkle twinkle little star and still have some effect, just probably not the desired effect...

23. Bama

Bama New Member

Feb 27, 2006
    Tallahassee, FL
    PDL Southeast Power Rankings Week 4:

1 Bradenton Academics: A better time for a great game there was not.
    2 Central Florida Kraze: Open Cup hopes vanished @ Bradenton... shame.
    3 Atlanta Silverbacks U-23s: Stringing together positive results; quietly winning
    4 Carolina Dynamo: Drew at home v. the Pirates... what happened?
    5 Nashville Metros: Now on a steady descent, back into last year's form?
    6 Cary Railhawks U-23s: Not doing that well for a youth side of a USL D2 club
    7 Panama City Pirates: Good result against Carolina; not good enough to pull them up
    8 Palm Beach Pumas: Will need a miracle to be a contender; all but buried

24. The Englishman

May 12, 2008
    Panama City Beach
    Taking your shirt off is an automatic yellow card offense. Solely because of the time wasting aspect of the act as I remember. So he he was sent off for two yellow cards?

25. Bama

Bama New Member

Feb 27, 2006
    Tallahassee, FL
    I knew it was auto-yellow. I was saying I didn't know if he forgot he already had a yellow card or what. He was sent off for a second yellow.