I Hate Stadium Horns

Discussion in 'Colorado Rapids' started by RockyMtn, Apr 20, 2008.

1. RockyMtn

RockyMtn New Member

Apr 21, 2007
    The only thing worse than watching Colorado lose to San Jose is watching Colorado lose to San Jose while sitting in front of a pair of kids with stadium horns. I HATE STADIUM HORNS! They are extremely irritating. I don't know how much money Kroenke puts in his pocket for every stadium horn sold, but IT'S NOT WORTH IT. :mad:

A group of fans sitting near me at the game complained about the stadium horns throughout the first half, then left to sit somewhere else after half time so they would no longer be surrounded by horns. I am now kicking myself for buying half season tickets in the section that I picked because of those obnoxious horns.

The stadium horns also ruin the televised games because they dominate the background stadium noise.

I am amazed that anyone thought that selling horns to children would be good for the game.

2. GoRapids

GoRapids Member

Sep 1, 1999
    Boulder CO
    Thus the birth of Class VI and section 108.

3. Beckika

Beckika New Member

Jan 26, 2008
    Lafayette
    I think we walked past you on our way out of the game tonight. If it wasn't you, it was another man that was very unhappy about the kids around blowing the horns. I have to agree. The horns were becoming increasingly annoying throughout the game, but as we were leaving, a little boy blew his horn about a foot away from my ear. I was not a happy camper. The horns do not make the most pleasant sound in the world, but I think it's a last ditch effort from the FO to get some noise in that stadium.

4. Daminada

Daminada New Member

Apr 10, 2007
    I just got home and have to hit the bed, but on the way home I decided that I would make a post about the horns either tomorrow or Monday. In short, if the MLS pushes that it should be about the game then these horns most deffinilty contridict that statement. I'll post more later (and after I have sobered up a bit), but needless to say I'm done with season tickets and going to the games if this isn't changed.

5. fhnkeeper03

fhnkeeper03 Member

Jan 27, 2006
    Denver
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    i completely agree... its one thing to blow them every so often, but i was in front of 2 girls that kept blowing them at the stupidest times...

both Rapids girl and i wanted to take the things and break them in half!!

6. teddy_montoya

teddy_montoya RapidsThugLife

Nov 9, 2006
    Supporters Terrace
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Whats next....

I don't mind them, the add to the game. Are they annyoing yah. But Im not going to sit there and b|tch about it. I will deal with it, just like I have to deal with some non-soccer fans in the stadium. Or the stadium security, who BTW have lightened up a lot. Or the Dippin Dots. Its part of the experience the Rapids are trying to add, will it work, I dunno. But its better than hearing nothing....

7. Rapfan?

Rapfan? New Member

Jul 26, 2004
    Colorado
    I LOVE THEM!
    I have always liked them!
    SO Europe! and Mexico and South America!

After the game in the Cantina....they (adults) were using them during the Avalance game!

I think they add so much atmosphere....ALSO loved the streamers and smoke bombs....SO GREAT!

Keep it up!!!!!!!!!

8. Daminada

Daminada New Member

Apr 10, 2007
    If you guys think they are part of the game and add to the game, then you no nothing about sports. They suffocate and ruin any chance for fans to actually get into the game. The damage they do to the fans and the game far outweighs any additional noise they may bring. When 3 donkeys with horns can clear out an entire section of the game then something is terribly wrong. And when I mean clear out, they really clear them out.. some fans move to other sections.. a number of them just go home. If that's your deffinition of adding to the game, then you are insane.

9. TLee

TLee New Member

Jul 24, 2004
    Racine, WI
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Exactly!! People bitch and moan about the lack of atmosphere in the stadium, then when there is some, it's annoying?!? I'm starting to lose my mind.:confused:

10. TLee

TLee New Member

Jul 24, 2004
    Racine, WI
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    What a crock of $hit!!

Three or four years ago when Chivas played Bocas at Mile High, I had never heard so many of those dang horns in my life. Half of the 40,000 people probably had them...and it didn't "clear out" a single section.:rolleyes: The guy behind me blew his horn the entire game...stopping only to drink. Absolute best atmosphere of any soccer game I have been to.

Now, if someone can bring an arguement to the table that doesn't involve hyperbole...:(

11. DavidJames

DavidJames Member+

May 11, 2003
    Longmont
    I seriously doubt the people complaining about the lack of atmosphere are the same ones complaining about the horns, but since you made the statement, I assume you can back it up, or you won't have made it.

12. DavidJames

DavidJames Member+

May 11, 2003
    Longmont
    Here's my rant.

It's not about the streamers or the confetti
    It's not about flares or smoke bombs.
    It's not about the horns or noise in general.
    I'm sorry, but It's not about you or anything you do!
    It's about the players and game on the field.

13. Libertine89

Libertine89 New Member

Apr 14, 2008
    ...and money.

14. TLee

TLee New Member

Jul 24, 2004
    Racine, WI
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I wasn't aware I said it was the same people...but, whatever...

15. GoRapids

GoRapids Member

Sep 1, 1999
    Boulder CO
    Here's my feeling on the horns - and I'll tell it from a hockey perspective:

I don't think it's done much today - and probably was always a small arena thing ... but I LOVE cowbells and air horns at hockey games. That crazy coot in the corner ringing his cowbell for what reason I could never possibly understand - or when a goal is scored and someone just lays on the air horn ....

BUT I COULD NOT STAND sitting next to that old coot or having an air horn blast within 20 seats of me in any direction.

My recommendation about those stadium horns at soccer games ... figure out a way to cut the length of them in half - cuz I hate when one goes off on my ear for an entire game.

But then again ... there have been a LOT of people that have hated listening to me for an entire game as well ... so there's that :D

16. Moonwez

Moonwez New Member

Nov 3, 2006
    Lakewood, CO
    What would make it better is maybe having a few different horn sizes that could create 3-part harmonies. Make it something musical! :D

17. JasonMa

JasonMa Member+

Mar 20, 2000
    Arvada, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Ugh, that would make them a more annoying high-pitched sound. I'll pass, thanks.

18. Daminada

Daminada New Member

Apr 10, 2007
    I'm glad you bought that up because it highlights an important issues that needs to be brought up. Exactly what does that 40,000 represent? Is that Rapid fans, Denver residents.. does that represent our culture? I bet not. I bet the majority of those 40,000 travled to the game and they brought their culture with them. In their culture blowing horns is acceptable along with all the other crazy stuff they do.. but does that mean it should be acceptable in our culture??

See, the problem that I've seen over the past couple years of watching this game is that soccer fans in America are obsessed with trying to recreate the same atomsphere that you see in South America and other countries around the world.. the problem is our culture doesn't cater to that. American's coming to the game for the first time or the 20th time don't want to hear a f'ing horn blowing in their f'ing ears. That's not how we enjoy sports or how we get invovled with sports.

What do American's like to do, we like to sing, yell, bitch, and we like to cuss. It's similar to the EPL or the Scottish Premier league.. when you watch those games people yell and cuss at just about anything that happens on the field. What do you think would happen if some clown went to a Man U. game and started blowing those horns not stop the entire game? He would probably get ripped apart.

So the point here is that a lot of people hate them because they don't fit their culture.. when I go to a game I don't want to hear those lame arse horns blowing in my ear the entire game. Now if somebody brings in a trumpet and plays a song that people sing to.. then awesome, it's adding to the game. But just creating unintelligent noise just for the sake of creating it really isn't our way.

And before you claim that I'm full of sheit and don't know anything, realize that I've been to more sporting events then most as I'm a sports junkie. That includes over 50 SEC college football games (which has the best atmopshere than any other sporting even in America), minor league baseball, MLB, NBA, NFL, NHL, season tickets to the Colorado Crush, Rapids etc etc etc. I've seen it from all different angles and I'm telling you, these horns are very bad for the game and they don't work in American sports. I've seen them tried on the minor league level and they fail, I saw the Crush use them and they failed.. they clear out sections and make people not want to come back to the game. Get rid of them!

19. pablocolomban

pablocolomban New Member

Oct 29, 2007
    Denver
    Extremely off.
    Create a boring atmosphere, fans stop going to the games, and we'll see how long there are players,fields or a game in the US.

20. Bonji

Bonji Moderator

Feb 4, 2003
    Denver, Colorado
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Look on the bright side. At least the horns aren't droning on with the stadium announcer tell us to stomp our feet for the Chic-fil-a Corner Kick Stampede anymore.

21. Daminada

Daminada New Member

Apr 10, 2007
    Wrong, it's about winning and losing. If we lose and don't make the playoffs, then fans stop coming to the games. If we win and win consistantly, then fans will flock. The atmosphere doesn't do anything to bring more fans.. people don't say, let's go to the Rapids game to watch a few people jump up and down and sing, or to watch a flare. With that said though, the atmosphere will push people away. Nobody is going to say, let's go to the Rapids game so that we can get a plastic horn blown in our ear the entire game.

22. DavidJames

DavidJames Member+

May 11, 2003
    Longmont
    You are correct, you didn't say it was the same people. I'm sorry I suggested otherwise.

I'm missing the point of your comment then. Some people complain about the lack of atmosphere. That is true. Some people complain about the horns. That is true. So.....

23. pablocolomban

pablocolomban New Member

Oct 29, 2007
    Denver
    Going to have to disagree. There are teams that completely suck, but the fans still go. I'd have to say, up until San jose, Rapids were doing pretty good, but the fans hardly seemed to flock to the San Jose game.

fans create atmosphere
    atmosphere helps the players win

24. Ace7

Ace7 Member

May 1, 2006
    It may not have seemed like it, but official reports say there were almost 15k there...and I'm pretty sure they wouldn't tell us pork pies :p

25. TOTC

TOTC Member

Feb 20, 2001
    Laurel, MD, USA
    Bagpipes? Safety boat horns used in NFL Europe (large kazoos you can get at your local Bass Pro Shop)? A bugle?