Son of Horns or no horns, that is the question

Discussion in 'San Jose Earthquakes' started by LeeS, Apr 14, 2008.

1. LeeS

LeeS Member

Mar 23, 2002
    San Francisco, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Honestly, while not my favorite thing in the world, at a soccer game, horns don't vbother me too much.

Lee

2. don gagliardi

don gagliardi Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    Feb 28, 2004
    san jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Re: Horns or no horns, that is the question

I vote "no" to horns. They destroy the organic atmosphere at the game, especially insofar as they tend to drown out the supporters groups with an incessant white noise.

If there had been horns at Spartan, I never would have heard the Casbah from my midfield section 130 seat, I never would have butchered the Ole song, and I never would have become a fervent Quakes fan pouring thousands of dollars annually into the team's coffers.

Horns diminish the Earthquakes soccer experience and they will cost the club money in the long run from casual fans unimpressed by all the white noise. Songs from our supporters, not horns, will bring in the sustainable fan base.

Non-rhetorical question: are horns allowed in Toronto?

3. FUAEG

FUAEG Member+

Oct 18, 2005
    San Jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Ban Thunder Sticks instead!

4. Childs Play

Childs Play Member

Mar 29, 2008
    Behind you,.. BOO!
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain

"Honestly, I don't care for horns one way or the other. As long as they are not being blown right in my ear, they are not the worst things on earth.

Frankly I prefer a horn to a loud dude behind me who can't carry a tune in a bucket or someone waving a damn flag in front of me blocking my view the whole match.

Anything that gets the fans on their feet and into the game is all right with me and if it is horns, songs, chants whatever. I'm game.

5. We Were Cut

We Were Cut Member

Sep 9, 2000
    Woodland, CA

My ears & my wife's ears were ringing Saturday from the horns.

Begone horns!

6. Albany58

Albany58 Member+

Sep 14, 1999
    Concord, CA USA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Okay, put in a new one.

7. athletics68

athletics68 Member+

Dec 12, 2006
    San Diego & San Jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Much better. Kill all horns!!!!

8. spejic

spejic Cautionary example

Mar 1, 1999
    San Rafael, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    I propose a compromise:

1) Make plastic horns in the stadium legal.
    2) Make beating to death people with plastic horns legal.

That sounds fair and balanced to me.

9. FUAEG

FUAEG Member+

Oct 18, 2005
    San Jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Thunder Sticks are worse.

10. RoundBallNewbie

RoundBallNewbie New Member

Aug 23, 2006
    DC in exile
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

FYP.

11. FUAEG

FUAEG Member+

Oct 18, 2005
    San Jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Whoa - now I'm all confused! How many times did I post that? I feel like Albany58. :)

PS. Did I ever tell ya how I hate Thunder Sticks?

12. LeeS

LeeS Member

Mar 23, 2002
    San Francisco, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Horrible... Just because I wouldn't go so far as to ban them altogether, doesn't mean I would say I "like" them either.

I hope you don't work for Gallup.

Lee

13. spejic

Mar 1, 1999
    San Rafael, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes

At Albany58's request, I moved over the meat of the thread to this one to make a more valid poll and discussion.
    That's great, but I'd like to hear what you think about thunder sticks.

14. sko16

sko16 New Member

May 2, 2007
    Israel
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Israel
    I hate those horns so much, and I don't see a reason why not to ban them. Even if only about half of us hate them and find them offensive to our ears and to our stadium's atmosphere, I don't think the other half are in love with them or think they really add anything to the atmosphere. So why not ban them?

15. Earthshaker

Earthshaker BigSoccer Supporter

Sep 12, 2005
    The hills above town
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I find it hard to believe that 42% of those voting so far like horns. We are obviously being spammed. Albany, I think you need to redo the poll once again and choose the option that let's us see who is voting.:D

16. Albany58

Albany58 Member+

Sep 14, 1999
    Concord, CA USA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Oh, crap! I thought that was automatic. Why the hell can't I get into the poll and just edit it?

17. meltoid

meltoid New Member

Apr 8, 2008
    san jose
    i dont see what the big idea is. fans should be free to express themselves in whatever way they choose. what if one day people said they should ban drums in the supporter section! at the last quakes game, someone had a horn behind us, but it was cool cause he was tootin' to the chant so it added to it. embrace the horn, goshdarnit!

18. sko16

sko16 New Member

May 2, 2007
    Israel
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Israel
    The "big idea" is that the horns are incredibly annoying and that they detract from the atmosphere. Now why should we keep them?

Should fans be allowed to bring in police sirens? Jackhammers? PA systems?

19. Quake408

Quake408 New Member

Mar 26, 2008
    San Jose
    i have no problems with it as well that it is not blowing in my ear. If you think it is annoying, that is the atmosphere of a soccer game. I cant believe some of you complain about this. BE GLAD that there is a soccer game to go. Your going to whine about how you hate the plastic horns, Thunder sticks. I guess i just been to many regular soccer games that i heard them all before. If your making noise to support your team that is all should matter.

20. don gagliardi

don gagliardi Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    Feb 28, 2004
    san jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes

Can anyone answer this?

21. Quake408

Quake408 New Member

Mar 26, 2008
    San Jose

For the safety and security of our fans, the following are not permitted inside BMO Field:
    • Outside food & beverage of any kind
    • Umbrellas (In case of inclement weather fans are encouraged to bring raincoats or ponchos.)
    • Large bags or backpacks
    • Large flags, banners, drums (except in Supporters' sections)
    • Noisemakers (airhorns, whistles, cowbells, horns, etc.)
    • Pets, with the exception of service animals
    • Weapons of any kind
    • Flares, smoke bombs, sparklers or fireworks of any kind
    • Bikes, inline skates, skateboards, scooters
    • Any missile/projectile like objects
    • Illegal drugs and any other illegal substances
    • Laser pointers
    • Un-approved pamphlets, handouts, advertisements, etc.
    • Frisbees or inflated balls of any kind
    • Strollers or baby seats may not be taken into the stands or left in section entrances. Please see Fan Services for assistance with these items.
    • Cameras with lenses less than 75mm and small hand-held video cameras are permitted into the stadium, provided they do not obstruct the view of other fans. Professional cameras or other equipment are not allowed to be brought in to the stadium unless the user has the appropriate working media credential. Personal photography or video may not be used to reproduce the game for commercial purposes. Please note that this camera policy is subject to change for any event based on the requests of the teams or promoters.
    • BMO Field is a smoke free facility. Fans must have their ticket scanned at the gate to exit to smoke and be allowed re-entry.

22. Honore de Ballsac

Oct 28, 2005
    France.
    I'll stand up to say I like horns just fine. Any noise generated by fans is good. No more annoying than an "aren't we clever" chant that isn't. I think the chant thing is too Anglocentric to be The Law anyway - mixing it up is a good thing. Funny that many anti-horn types rather disregard the fact that many fans find loud swearing pretty annoying. For the record, I like loud swearing at games too.

What I'm on the fence about are the more staged atmospherics: from Jock Rock to Krazy George. And let's see if the national anthem holds up w/out the massively underwhelming bottle rockets.

23. spejic

Mar 1, 1999
    San Rafael, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Once polls are created, even moderators cannot edit them. If you want a poll that shows who voted, you need to make a new one. I don't know that that would make a meaningful poll anyway - they can still be spoofed.

24. sjquakesfan81

sjquakesfan81 New Member

Oct 1, 2005
    Boston, MA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I agree. Someone has to be cheating this poll somehow. I've never met a single person who enjoys a loud, annoying horn being blown right next to their ear all game long.

25. sjquakesfan81

sjquakesfan81 New Member

Oct 1, 2005
    Boston, MA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Just wait. Its all fun and games until it happens to you. In fact, I hope for our sake, it DOES happen to you, so that you'll feel our pain and stop supporting it. Some 11 year old kid needs to sit directly behind you, and blow that thing into your ear all game. He'll need to hit you in the head with it every ten minutes too. Only then will you understand how annoying it is for the unlucky saps that this happens to each and every game.

Just because it hasn't happened to you yet doesn't mean it wont.

And the reason this is being brought up is because we all want to attend and create the best Quakes experience possible. This is criticism yes, but it is also constructive, and will lead to a better product for all Quakes fans to enjoy.