4/12 Attendance

Discussion in 'Columbus Crew' started by CBusCrew12, Apr 13, 2008.

1. CBusCrew12

CBusCrew12 Member

Apr 19, 2005
    Ohio, USA
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  2. Flyer Fan

Flyer Fan Member+

Apr 18, 1999
    Columbus, OH
    Arby's. Roast beef sale.

3. electrickeeper

electrickeeper The Ginger Pele
    Staff Member

Tottenham Hotspur
    United States
    Oct 14, 2002
    The Cheese Room
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Is that still going on? I'm craving a Big Montana.

:D

4. THOMA GOL

THOMA GOL BigSoccer Supporter

Jul 16, 1999
    Frontier
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Communicating with with others Bigsoccer.

5. Pauncho

Pauncho Member+

Mar 2, 1999
    Bexley, Ohio
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Gee, are you sure they weren't indoors out of that constant, cold rain? Just because we don't have the good sense to stay there doesn't mean the 15,000 empty seats don't.

6. CrewBeat

CrewBeat Be Massive My Friends

Jul 27, 2004
    Manhattan
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It was crowded where I was at...:rolleyes:

7. THOMA GOL

THOMA GOL BigSoccer Supporter

Jul 16, 1999
    Frontier
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    HAHAAAAA you got jokes!! Chingon

8. HardestWorkingFan

HardestWorkingFan Piss on the F*re

Oct 29, 2004
    Columbus, OH
    I wouldn't worry about it. If anything, they're just being more honest with their numbers. There were no fewer people there than some cold, rainy matches in previous years where they announced twice that number.

Go to hell.

9. The Brando

The Brando Member

Dec 10, 2007
    San Antonio, TX
    I don't think DCU fans should be calling their shots after a 4-0 beatdown at the hands of.....wait for it.... REAL SALT LAKE!

10. eboe

eboe Member+

Columbus Crew
    United States
    May 23, 2006
    Columbus, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I agree, I think the numbers are more honest which might be why it seemed that there were less at the opener too.

Regardless, I was there ;)

11. 9 Rush

9 Rush Member

Sep 9, 2004
    C'bus
    Looking at your last couple of games I don't think we have too much to be worried about.

Gallardo looks like a waste of cash. That midget doesn't look much better.

12. TrueCrew

TrueCrew Member+

Dec 22, 2003
    Columbus, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    We'll see. They started slow last year as well. And now that they are out of CONCACAF, the focus will be on the league.

Still, I take your point, letting Gomez walk was stupid (of course, we could have had him...twice....)

13. Aaron d

Aaron d Member+

May 15, 2005
    Wooster
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I noticed last season that they started using those electronic scanners to let people in. Does this mean they have a factual accurate record of how many people attended? Could this be the reason we have seen some lower numbers lately when before the same amount was recorded as higher?

I think someone should ask MM if there is more accuracy in attendance reporting with those things, if they still are using them.

Someone with connections get on this :D

14. CrewGuy1

CrewGuy1 Member

Jan 29, 2008
    The game against Houston should be great later this month. Hopefully the weather will be into the 70's.

15. B-M-T

B-M-T Member

Jun 23, 2001
    Ohio
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Nothing new... they used those last year, too.

16. Aaron d

Aaron d Member+

May 15, 2005
    Wooster
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I remember them from last year as well. Still, is that making the numbers more honest?

17. fidlerre

fidlerre Moderator
    Staff Member

Oct 10, 2000
    Central Ohio
    The numbers have always been "tickets distributed" which is the number reported, that has not changed - nor has it made the numbers of Saturday any more real than a number from years past...

And please ignore the trolls...

18. c11235

c11235 New Member

Aug 2, 2007
    God damn it, look at this, listen to my reasoning, and tell me I'm wrong. I really want to believe I'm wrong.

Biggest threat to attendance numbers in Columbus = Destroyers Arena League Football. Look at the attendance for the Columbus Destroyers so far this season. Don't you wish the Crew had these numbers?

Home games so far on Saturday nights in Columbus:
    3/15:15,946
    3/29:13.035
    4/5: 14,256
    http://www.columbusdestroyers.com/schedule/index.php

In a world of a limited sports entertainment dollar, isn't sitting on nice cushy seats, being able to eat your nachos inside instead of in the wind and rain, with a nice parking garage (to keep your wife's shoes form getting muddy), and watching a familiar game a lot more appealing to average Midwesterner? Especially when the team you're going to watch has an aura of being a winner? And you can get you and the kids in the door for like $12 each?

Futhermore, if we need local ownership to potentially replace HSG, the big money people in this town who would buy the Crew already own a sports franchise trying to make dollars in the summer. (McConnell, Germain own the Jackets and the Destroyers). Hell, they probably hope the Crew fails and gets out of town. More people to fill up that arena they already own so they can make a few bucks off of it during the hockey off-season.

I just hope there are enough sports dollars in this town to support two summer sports to the tune of 15-20k a game.

Are the Destroyers becoming more popular than the Crew in this town? Is that where the Crew's decreased season-tickets sales went to??

19. Raoul

Raoul New Member

Sep 19, 1999
    Downtown Dublin
    Hey, if we all knew that there would be an offensive explosion there would have been 15k there. Otherwise, the odds had it sitting in a 40 deg. cold rain in 20mph wind to watch a boring team.

True, but reality. This team needs a few more games like last night to regain fan confidence. 1 game is not a trend vs. 5+ years of boredom...

20. Sirk

Sirk Member+

Apr 25, 1999
    Cleveland, OH
    But the thing is that MLS teams aren't papering the house with as many freebies, especially after getting called out by that article in the San Diego paper. It's still tickets distributed, but it in years past, the Crew would have given away more tickets making the crowd 9000 or something. McCullers said at the fan forum that while the Crew do still comp tickets, comps are down and paid admissions are up. (2007 vs. 2006).

21. fidlerre

fidlerre Moderator
    Staff Member

Oct 10, 2000
    Central Ohio
    It's football in the state of Ohio. And the amount of free tickets handed out by the Destroyers actually makes the Crew look like a scrooge if you can even imagine that...see Sirk's post above.

22. HardestWorkingFan

Oct 29, 2004
    Columbus, OH
    There was also an article from a couple of seasons ago- I'll dig it up if I can- which revealed actual attendances, tickets distributed, and announced attendances for every team. The Crew had been adding exactly 1,000 to their tickets distributed for their announced attendance.

So the numbers possibly are more "real" than in the past.

23. HardestWorkingFan

Oct 29, 2004
    Columbus, OH
    Here's the article Sirk was referring to which, as it turns out, was the same one I was thinking of:

http://www.signonsandiego.com/sports/soccer/20060927-9999-lz1s27goal.html

24. foozer

foozer Member

Dec 19, 2005
    Indy
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Not that it's in any way relevant to the Crew, but I used to work for a lower level/minor league team that would simply guess the attendance on a regular basis.

25. CBusCrew12

CBusCrew12 Member

Apr 19, 2005
    Ohio, USA
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The Destroyers attendance has gone down over the past few years actually. When they first came to Columbus from Buffalo, they sold out nearly every game for the first two seasons. After 2 seasons of sucking, the attendance dropped. Last year they made it to the championship and, not surprisingly, attendance has risen.

I don't think it has anything to do with familiarity with a sport seeing as how arena football is not that similar to outdoor game, and a good number of traditional football fans hate the AFL. I think it has more to do with the Destroyers being new and having recent success. If the Crew made it to MLS Cup, and the local media made it a big deal, people would probably flock to the Crew. The AFL and MLS really are not fighting for the same fans.

Crew Stadium's issues might also cause some people to go elsewhere.

Bottomline, the Crew have a rep of being mediocre. Until they prove otherwise, that stigma will remain. The Destroyers are still creating their rep, and right now they're preceived to be pretty good, even though they're 2-5 at the moment.