Sounders FC soccer pyramid

Discussion in 'Seattle Sounders FC' started by bright, Apr 11, 2008.

1. bright

bright Member

Dec 28, 2000
    Central District
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Here is a list of teams that could be considered to be in the Sounders FC "pyramid" if they build the relationships:

Sounders FC (Major League Soccer)
    home field: Qwest Field
    practice field: Starfire Practice Facility

Sounders FC Reserves (Major League Soccer Reserves)
    home field: Starfire Sports Complex Main Stadium
    practice field: Starfire Practice Facility

Seattle Wolves (Pacific Coast Soccer League)

PSSA Rapids (Pacific Coast Soccer League)
    home field: Orca Field, Whatcom Community College

Tacoma Tide FC (Premier Development League)
    home field: Curtis High School Stadium

Spokane Spiders (Premier Development League)
    home field: Spokane Falls Community College

Yakima Reds (Premier Development League)
    home field: Marquette Stadium

Yakima Reds (Super Y-League)
    home field:

Sounders FC Youth (Super Y-League)

Any teams I missed?

There are also the colleges and the youth clubs.

- Paul

2. edwardgr

edwardgr Moderator
    Staff Member

Mar 6, 2006
    Seattle
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Paul

Kitsap West Sounders? Or whatever name they come up with assuming the USL-1 rights are kept active.

3. thanatos80

thanatos80 New Member

Aug 12, 2005
    Burien, WA
    He means REAL teams, not Robin Waite (crack) pipe dreams. The land he has targeted for his stadium has wetlands on it. He's going to get the EPA to approve his destroying wetlands, to build a soccer stadium? FOOMCBASL! The Port of Seattle CREATED 50% more wetlands (on land they own in the Kent/Auburn area) than they destroyed, to build the third runway, and it took them three years to get the EPA to approve THAT plan.

4. GOALSeattle

GOALSeattle Member

Oct 13, 2007
    Seattle
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  5. Couverite

Couverite Guest

A third site? I see why you didn't take me up on my bet in the USL sub-forum thread.

http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&hl=...22.663212&sspn=0.038943,0.080338&ie=UTF8&z=16

:rolleyes:

I also wonder why he hasn't pursued upgrading the facilities at the main Olympic College campus?

6. GOALSeattle

GOALSeattle Member

Oct 13, 2007
    Seattle
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Might as well build new.
    That stadium is too narrow for soccer and wide open to the neighborhood.

School district actually owns the land (also home of BHS Knights).

People can be just as skeptical as they like, but as long as a guy with $$$ is digging away, there's a chance it will happen.

7. bright

bright Member

Dec 28, 2000
    Central District
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I wonder if the Tide and/or Stars would be interested in partnering with Mr. Waite to bring a USL-1 franchise to Tacoma? They could play at the Tacoma Dome.

- Paul

8. edwardgr

edwardgr Moderator
    Staff Member

Mar 6, 2006
    Seattle
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Hence the assuming part of my post. I too have serious doubts that this will happen. But I will be pleasantly surprised if it does.

9. Couverite

Couverite Guest

Um - why build new in the boonies when there are community partnerships that could be built up in the major population center for the peninsula?

Would the lack of alcohol sales by being on school district property really be a problem for a family club?

Also, there's plenty to be skeptical about since, well, it's not like there's any actual digging going on. He could be Bill f'ing Gates and I'd be just as skeptical of his plan since he's obviously - just read the article! - woefully underestimated costs.

To be tedious, he's gone from a site with 90,000 (70k from the Bremerton area and 20k from Silverdale) of the 250,000 people on the peninsula in a fiveish mile radius to a site with 10,000 people (BEING QUITE GENEROUS HERE) in a five mile radius.

Being at the college at least puts it at a landmark but it's still out in the boonies comparatively speaking.

I mean, let's just flip this around and say that some guy was going to have an Eastside USL-1 team since getting across the lake is such a pain. His first site was going to be in Issaquah close to Pickering Barn but that fell through and he's since moved out to Snoqualmie with a land swap supposedly in the making. Would you be pitching these softballs at that sort of development?

10. GOALSeattle

GOALSeattle Member

Oct 13, 2007
    Seattle
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Oh, I am skeptical about this, always have been. However I am far less skeptical than I normally would be because a millionaire wants it to happen. Doesn't mean it will, but it has a slim chance rather than absolutely no chance.

I support the idea, but that is different than believing it will actually happen. Why do I support it? Because if it is done right, it can work, even in Poulsbo. The question is whether or not Waite can 'do it right' buy building a good stadium and investing in the community and the club. People here are used to going to events in Poulsbo. It's closer than Tacoma for some and there is no bridge toll. Can he get 4k to go on a regular basis? That's the question.

I was told that at Sunday's Sounders pre-season match that someone involved with the Tacoma Tide wondered about Waite's way of going about this. Waite was characterized as 'trying to cut corners' get get it done 'on the cheap.'

I do think Tacoma is the far better USL-1 market, and as a Tide fan I would love it if they could move up. They just don't have the money or investors to do so right now, though they are looking.

Robin Waite has connections and money. He doesn't want to use them in Tacoma (so far). Maybe he'll change his mind if the league says 'no' to Poulsbo. So far he has gotten no indication whatsoever that the league won't let him take the (former) Sounders if he builds a stadium.

I was talking with fellow Sounders / Tide fans in the car yesterday coming home from the pre-season match. We all agreed that supporting MLS, the Tide AND USL-1 in Kitsap would spread us pretty thin. I'm not terribly convinced we'll ever have to confront such an embarrassment of riches.

11. Couverite

Couverite Guest

I think that "no" is really the only reasonable answer to that question. When's the last time you went to Poulsbo for some event personally? Getting a lot people to a once a year event like Viking Fest is pretty easy but asking a huge chunk of your potential fanbase to do forty mile round trips fourteen times in the summer is something else. As in it's something else that won't happen.

Yeah, cheap, good or fast. Pick two (at most).

I don't think Tacoma is that great shakes either with MLS in Seattle. For PDL maybe, but the crowd threshold for profitability is lower when you don't have to pay players or get on jet planes.

12. GOALSeattle

GOALSeattle Member

Oct 13, 2007
    Seattle
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    "When's the last time you went..." is not a question that washes well.

Why? Because if there were a USL-1 club there, the answer would be "almost every home match." You can't base how many people would go to soccer matches there only on how many go to Poulsbo for other things right now. You'd need surveys. (However, Poulsbo is and remains a destination area for the North Kitsap community).

Regal opened the nicest, biggest movie theater on the entire Kitsap Peninsula...in Poulsbo. 12 screens, a few with stadium seating. That was a few years ago before the town / area got as big as it is now.

Either they are gamblers, or their surveys said people in the area would support it. Sure enough, it is consistently the busiest theater in the county, and draws people from Port Townsend, Bremerton, Silverdale, Port Orchard...

(Without USL soccer, I make it up to Poulsbo about once a month.)

13. bright

bright Member

Dec 28, 2000
    Central District
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    1. USL-1 in Tacoma. Could it work? How about Spokane?

2. Why aren't there more Washington teams in the PCSL? Might some of the indoor teams branch out into outdoor PCSL teams?

- Paul

14. GOALSeattle

GOALSeattle Member

Oct 13, 2007
    Seattle
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yes.
    Using the Rainiers-Mariners model. Problem is, MLS owners can't have investment in USL-1 clubs, so they'd have to set up some kind of player reimbursement model without helping with cash flow. I'm pretty sure the Mariners send cash along with players to Tacoma. Couldn't happen between MLS-USL-1.

Teams in the PCSL come and go. Hibs & Caley Saints were a Seattle tradition in that league, and some of those people are now involved with the Sounders Women (Mitalas). There was also a club called Skagit Rapids up until a year or two ago. They are now in Bellingham as PSSA. Last year FK Pacific played out of Starfire. They are not in this year, thought they haven't 'folded.'

www.pcsl.org

It has actually been happening the other way around. PSSA and Wolves 'branched out' into indoor to make their programs year-round.

15. Couverite

Couverite Guest

It is a question that washes well - if asked of enough people, it establishes a pattern of behavior. Expectations of which direction people will travel. What you'd do once there was a team isn't wholly relevant.

Well, multiplexes require lots of land like stadiums, I suppose.

People drive a lot out there and it's a bit of a captive audience. Even here on the Eastside, I could not imagine driving 20 miles (one way) to go to see a movie.

There we go. And how do you think that compares to the surrounding population? How often they go to Tacoma or Seattle? How often people in Silverdale go to Bremerton and vice-versa?

16. GOALSeattle

GOALSeattle Member

Oct 13, 2007
    Seattle
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The question is how many would go to matches if a pro soccer team was there.

You can't answer that and neither can I.

We can speculate, and you are speculating not enough to make it work, right?

I'm speculating that if it were to happen, you'd be pleasantly surprised.

17. KnucklesBuchanan

Jul 12, 2007
    Section 149
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Two things to consider:

1) The site that Waite is looking at isn't "in" Poulsbo, it's right off of Highway 3 by the new Olhava development. Very easy to get into and get out of, which is not something that Poulsbo is well-known for.

2) I'd drive 20 miles to see a movie. Hell, I used to do it when I lived in Seattle.

18. FuzzyForeigner

Oct 29, 2003
    WA
    Club:
    Seattle
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    the apex, the climax, the vertex of the Seattle soccer scene are the

EMERALD CITY SUPPORTERS

19. GOALSeattle

GOALSeattle Member

Oct 13, 2007
    Seattle
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Hey, LOOK! There's a team playing out there on the pitch! :D

20. FuzzyForeigner

Oct 29, 2003
    WA
    Club:
    Seattle
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    yes and they are...

ECS FC!!!!!!!

21. GOALSeattle

GOALSeattle Member

Oct 13, 2007
    Seattle
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    As soon as Le Toux joins a supporters group for ECS FC, I think you'll have it made. :D

22. FuzzyForeigner

Oct 29, 2003
    WA
    Club:
    Seattle
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    le toux is part of ECS.

he is on our boards all the time. NOT ON GOALSEATTLE!
    :D

23. GOALSeattle

GOALSeattle Member

Oct 13, 2007
    Seattle
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Do you even realize what "ECS" means in French?

I didn't think so.