2007 soccer feature writing winner

Discussion in 'MLS: News & Analysis' started by ToLo, Mar 15, 2008.

1. ToLo

ToLo New Member

May 23, 2001
    The North American Soccer Reporters are pleased to announce the winner of the 2007 Feature Writing Contest.
    Chicago Tribune soccer writer Luis Arroyave’s moving story about Bakary Soumare and his sanctuary found in soccer was the unanimous winner.

An excerpt:
    November 18, 2007 Sunday
    Soccer is his sanctuary;
    Game, mates help Fire rookie Bakary Soumare deal with the deaths of his mother and brother
    The phone in Bakary Soumare's pocket vibrates seconds after his name is announced as the second overall pick in January's Major League Soccer SuperDraft in Indianapolis.
    He can't talk, not with a league representative leading him to the stage to shake hands with MLS Commissioner Don Garber, so his mother Bintou will have to settle for leaving a message.
    Bintou Soumare, following the draft online from Paris, only recently had gotten a handle on what the draft is. Sure, it took Bakary's brother two hours to explain it, but she is proud and she will tell her son that once the interviews are done.
    But the memory of that day will be bittersweet. As Bakary puts it, "I went from the best day of my life to the worst day of my life" only a few weeks later.

Arroyave’s story was a unanimous No. 1 selection by the three judge panel. The judges were given a package of stories that included feature stories written during the 2007 calendar year and submitted by the writers or their editors. Bylines and publications were removed from the entries presented to the judges by contest director Tobias Xavier Lopez, who was ineligible to participate.
    The judges voted independently by selecting their Top-5 choices.
    The judges were Star-Telegram deputy sports editor Tom Johanningmeier, staff sports writer Trae Thompson and metro editor Sonny Bohannan.
    www.soccerreporters.com

2. JayKay

JayKay New Member

Apr 22, 2003
    NJ
    Can we get a link to the full story?

3. bright

bright Member

Dec 28, 2000
    Central District
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Congratulations, Luis!

And a big THANK YOU from the bottom of my heart to all the great soccer journalists we have in the US.

- Paul

4. monster

monster Member

Oct 19, 1999
    Hanover, PA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  5. boomersooner027

May 13, 2004
    Club: