CL draw fixed!

Discussion in 'UEFA and Europe' started by ATL_Iron, Mar 14, 2008.

1. ATL_Iron

ATL_Iron New Member

Jun 19, 2006
    Atlanta
    Club:
    West Ham United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
  2. zippy85

zippy85 Red Card

Jul 4, 2007
    England
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    It's fixed so Barca get to the final because they have the best chance at beating an English team, although it would be a more entertaining final with Barca there.

3. ATL_Iron

ATL_Iron New Member

Jun 19, 2006
    Atlanta
    Club:
    West Ham United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
  4. BocaFan

BocaFan Member+

Aug 18, 2003
    Queens, NY
    Yeah, because Barca have a history of getting easy draws. Chelsea, Chelsea, and.. ummm ... forgetting someone... oh yes, Chelsea again.

Honestly, I question the validity of this rumour. What incentive is there to fix the draw in this manner? I imagine that its advantagous finacially to have one English team and Barcelona in the final, but its clear a better "fix" could have been orchestrated to make this more likely (why make Barca go through the best remaining team to get to the final?).

5. zippy85

zippy85 Red Card

Jul 4, 2007
    England
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    This has nothing to do with Barca and Barca would have known nothing about it, along with the rest of the clubs who would also have known nothing, it's Uefa, all they needed to do was involve that Russian goalkeeper, mine is a different conspiricy to the mirrors.

6. BocaFan

BocaFan Member+

Aug 18, 2003
    Queens, NY
    But what does UEFA gain by having the draw turn-out like this?

Is UEFA that strapped for cash?

7. zippy85

zippy85 Red Card

Jul 4, 2007
    England
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Because they don't want an all English final and if one does get there they want the English team to lose, today was a perfect draw fo Platini.

8. Prawn Sandwich

Oct 1, 2003
    Bhutan
    Ummm - wouldn't they have fixed it so all the English teams were on the same half of the draw if they wanted that?

9. BusbyBabes

BusbyBabes New Member

Jun 30, 2007
    Up North
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Indeed it is true and it is entirely possible that UEFA's worse nightmare of a United-Liverpool final could take place in Moscow.

10. zippy85

zippy85 Red Card

Jul 4, 2007
    England
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    That's too obvious.

The conspiracy the Mirror is talking about is a smokescreen to the real conspiracy and has been purposely leaked.

11. BocaFan

BocaFan Member+

Aug 18, 2003
    Queens, NY

Hmm.. maybe the opposite is true. They WANT an all English final. I must say, that the draw pretty much maximized the probabilty of an all-English final. Though I'm not sure why UEFA would want this.

So again, the motive just isn't there (unless UEFA are in cahoots with the mob). Although the evidence is damn convincing...

Could the evidence be a hoax? Maybe 10 friends got together and started 10 different threads, all with a different draw outcome(?)

12. BocaFan

BocaFan Member+

Aug 18, 2003
    Queens, NY
    Yeah, that would be too obvious, but then why put the BEST English team on Barca's half of the draw??

13. John K

John K Member

Nov 8, 2007
    Why would Uefa want English teams to lose when they bring in the most revenue?

14. Owen Gohl

Owen Gohl Member

Jun 21, 2000
    According to the Mirror article there are 191 possible outcomes when you have 8 clubs involved in a draw. One of the posters in the conspriacy thread also claimed to have predicted the outcome yesterday. Not exactly, though he was on the right track. Here is his post at Yahoo:

http://answers.yahoo.com/question/i...BFRFPHjsy6IX;_ylv=3?qid=20080313105656AAigxRG

15. Karloski

Karloski Member+

Oct 26, 2006
    England
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Well actually, Man Utd have been the least consistent/successful of the 4 English teams over recent years, and Barcelona would probably prefer to fight it out with another attacking team rather than the stifling nature of Chelsea and Liverpool.

Having said that, I dont think it's a fix. Why would they put Man Utd with Roma again after the trouble with fans? and does anybody on the planet really want to see another Liverpool vs Chelsea semi bore fest.

16. Borussia

Borussia Member+

Jun 5, 2006
    Fürth near Nuremberg
    Club:
    Borussia Mönchengladbach
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Stop talking nonsense, dear girl. :rolleyes:

How serious is the "Mirror"? I wonder the "Sun" didn't pick up this story, too...

17. zippy85

zippy85 Red Card

Jul 4, 2007
    England
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Platini is head of Uefa.

18. kemgooner

kemgooner New Member

Feb 6, 2007
    Connecticut
    apparently all the bookies stopped taking bets at around 11am on the result of the draw as well.

the draw that theyve made has produced the best ties possible money wise, and it would just get bigger if the correct teams move on. Manchester Utd vs Roma, again, definatly going to draw alot of interest. Liverpool v Arsenal also, then you get a huge chance of another Chelsea-Liverpool Semi, and a HUGE chance of either a Liverpool-Man Utd or Chelsea-Man Utd final which would be the biggest match possible as a final.

19. Prawn Sandwich

Oct 1, 2003
    Bhutan
    Not so sure, my guess is that a Barca v United final would be the biggest money draw

20. kemgooner

kemgooner New Member

Feb 6, 2007
    Connecticut
    but a barca v utd semi is the next best thing ;)

i think a liverpool-utd final would be the biggest final of them all, chelsea-utd second, remember this final is in moscow.

21. Prawn Sandwich

Oct 1, 2003
    Bhutan
    True but an all-English final only draws fans and advertising revenues etc from one country - from a financial perspective it'd be the last thing UEFA wants (apart from a Schalke-Fenerbahce final)

22. BocaFan

BocaFan Member+

Aug 18, 2003
    Queens, NY
    On what planet is Chelsea bigger than Barcelona?

No, the biggest draw for a final obviously would involve clubs from 2 different countries since then you introduce a whole new pool of potential "casual" fans who wouldn't watch if a team from their country wasn't involved.

But maybe we're too focussed on the final. Afterall, the semis involve 4 matches total. So maybe the best possible (in terms of revenue generating) semifinals is the perfect outcome for UEFA.

23. kemgooner

kemgooner New Member

Feb 6, 2007
    Connecticut
    i dont think that is true, football has become too global now for an all english final to attract mainly one country. The english teams are hugely popular around the world, and they have players from around the world. i think anyone would be interested in watching one of those finals.

24. Prawn Sandwich

Oct 1, 2003
    Bhutan
    And Barca isn't popular globally? They dwarf any English team in terms of South American support for a start. You could be right but I highly doubt it.

25. kemgooner

kemgooner New Member

Feb 6, 2007
    Connecticut
    that true, i just think the whole thing has set up incredibly that you get arguably the 4 biggest teams in the competition playing each other in the semis, which would gurantee a huge final. its like set up perfectly for chelsea, utd, barca to advance and liverpool, which is probably the weakest team of the biggest 4, plays arsenal so that even if they lose, a big team still moves on.