Is the Scudetto Over? Historical Comebacks in Serie A

Discussion in 'Italy' started by Cassano, Mar 3, 2008.

1. Cassano

Cassano Member

Jul 16, 2004
    Club:
    AC Milan
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Controcampo had an interesting article today, stating the best comebacks in Serie A history.

In 1965, Inter overturned a 5 point advantage on Milan and won the Scudetto.

In 1967, Inter were comfortable at the top and then only got 4 points in 6 games. In the next game they incredibly lost to Mantova and Juve past them to win.

In 1971, Inter again surprised Milan, this time overturning a 6 point advantage and winning their 11th Scudetto.

In 1988 one of the biggest comebacks happened. Napoli, comfortable at the top with 18 wins, 3 draws, and 1 loss, make a clamorous fall. 4 losses in a row, 1 point in 5 games, and Milan recover and steal the Scudetto away.

In 1999 Milan completed a miracle comeback. An average squad turned alight in the spring, with 7 games left and 7 points behind a strong Lazio side, Milan strung together 7 wins in a row, and on the second to last day complete the comeback, as they defeated Empoli 4-0 and Lazio could only draw with Fiorentina. The Rossoneri then beat Perugia on the last day to win the Scudetto.

In 2000 Lazio wouldn't cry for long as Juventus had a 9 point lead and looked set to win the Scudetto. However Juventus threw the lead away, and lost to Perugia in the Olympic swimming pool, allowing Lazio to triumph.

Then we all know the 5 Maggio 2002 story. Inter, with 5 games left, have a 6 point lead over Juventus. Inter only manage to string together 7 points in the last games, while Juventus don't miss a beat. The final day sees the top 3 like this: Inter 69, Juve 68, Roma 67. Lazio beat Inter and Juve beat Udinese to steal the Scudetto from a crying Ronaldo.
    ------------------------------------

Can this season be another historic comeback?

2. indestructible

indestructible Member+

SSC Napoli
    Jan 14, 2007
    Mercato Professor
    Club:
    SSC Napoli
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    For the sake of keeping the league interesting i hope so. I hope Inter doesn't get eliminated from the Champions because then they would only focus on Serie A. If they played in both, Roma or whoever else, have a better shot at catching up

3. dor02

dor02 Member

Aug 9, 2004
    Melbourne
    Club:
    UC Sampdoria
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Milan shouldn't have won in 1999. Lazio, Fiorentina and Parma deserved it more.

I doubt that this year will be the year for another historical comeback. Juve is in poor form and like Fiorentina, they're off the pace. Roma can but mentally, they're not stable. Results like the Siena disaster aren't one-offs. They do occur for a team like Roma.

4. JumpinJackFlash

JumpinJackFlash New Member

Mar 15, 2007
    Soviet Britannia
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Kazakhstan
    Well this situation isn't a very comfortable position for Italian football to be in. Now....

We're hoping Roma can knock out Madrid so one Italian team is atleast in there.

In Serie A, Juventus and Fiorentina are too far off to ever catch Inter and Lucky Moratti, so again its all down to Roma to make this competative. In all honesty, I'd be shocked if Roma have any title at the end of this season even though the side is quite decent.

5. FNU

FNU BigSoccer Yellow Card

Mar 6, 2007
    Monte Vesuvio
    Club:
    SSC Napoli
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Milan shouldn't have won in '88 either.

6. Anna Italia

Anna Italia New Member

Aug 24, 2007
    USA
    The Scudetto is not over yet.... If Inter loses two matches and Roma continues winning... then... we might have a surprise.

7. DDR

DDR Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 13, 2006
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Even if they lose two matches, they would need to tie or lose a 3rd one for Roma to come into the lead. It's a tall order, and I don't wan't to get my hopes up.

8. Borussia

Borussia Member+

Jun 5, 2006
    Fürth near Nuremberg
    Club:
    Borussia Mönchengladbach
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Please don't remind me of this! :eek: ;)

Well, this one is a better reminder...:)

I wouldn't mind. C'mon, Roma!

But to be honest, I can't see it happen. Unfortunately.

9. FNU

Mar 6, 2007
    Monte Vesuvio
    Club:
    SSC Napoli
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    It's not happening now. Inter can now focus solely on the scudetto, even more. lol Roma needs to make sure to stay in the top 4 and put all their energy in the CL. The CL is a better opportunity to make much needed money for a club owner in debt.

10. DDR

DDR Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 13, 2006
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Roma right now is really in a pole position, they have a 7 point lead over Juventus. After next weekend, not this one, they will have faced all the major players in Serie A. Which leaves them in a very good situation in regards to maintaining their second place.

You have a point with Inter being able to focus solely on the league. I had kind of hoped for the miracle last night just so they would have to battle on two fronts. Although I was glad to see Mancini and Zlatan.

11. JumpinJackFlash

Mar 15, 2007
    Soviet Britannia
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Kazakhstan
    Roma have a history of choking against the smaller clubs when the pressure is on and losing titles like that. Serie A 1980-1981, last three games.

10 May 1981 - Roma 0-0 Juventus
    17 May 1981 - Napoli 0-1 Juventus
    24 May 1981 - Fiorentina 0-1 Juventus

10 May 1981 - Roma 0-0 Juventus
    17 May 1981 - Pistoiese 0-1 Roma
    24 May 1981 - Roma 1-1 Avellino hahahaahaha

1. Juventus 44
    2. Roma 42 OFFSIDE

12. FNU

Mar 6, 2007
    Monte Vesuvio
    Club:
    SSC Napoli
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    ******** the scudetto, the CL is more important for Roma.

13. JumpinJackFlash

Mar 15, 2007
    Soviet Britannia
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Kazakhstan
    Well it seems its over now, even when Inter dont win, somehow Roma manage to f**k up their chance to capitalise.

14. Borussia

Borussia Member+

Jun 5, 2006
    Fürth near Nuremberg
    Club:
    Borussia Mönchengladbach
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Yep, they are not consistent enough. Unfortunately.

15. Borussia

Borussia Member+

Jun 5, 2006
    Fürth near Nuremberg
    Club:
    Borussia Mönchengladbach
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Well, what did I say?

After the 1:1 home draw against Livorno, the dream should be definitely over (even though Inter still have to play Milan)...

16. dor02

dor02 Member

Aug 9, 2004
    Melbourne
    Club:
    UC Sampdoria
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Totti is out for six months so that doesn't help either. Having said that, even with him in the team, Roma's chances have looked slim for a majority of this season.

17. FNU

Mar 6, 2007
    Monte Vesuvio
    Club:
    SSC Napoli
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    They should have too my advice...the Cagliari game wasn't worth it.

18. Gregoriak

Gregoriak BigSoccer Supporter

Feb 27, 2002
    Munich

How came it that Juventus had to play three away games in a row in May 1981?

19. dor02

dor02 Member

Aug 9, 2004
    Melbourne
    Club:
    UC Sampdoria
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    JJF just typed it that way. The Roma and Fiorentina matches were home matches.

Here's the link for anyone interested:

http://www.rsssf.com/tablesi/ital81.html

No Milan! OMG! (That was because of Totonero though).

20. Borussia

Borussia Member+

Jun 5, 2006
    Fürth near Nuremberg
    Club:
    Borussia Mönchengladbach
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Wow, just 1 point lag with the following last matchday fixture:

Parma vs Inter
    Catania vs Roma

Parma & Roma and Catania & Inter depend on each other's help to keep the league / win the title ... so a thrilling last matchday is guaranted! :)

21. Gaetano

Gaetano New Member

Apr 24, 2007
    Lafayette, CA
    Club:
    SSC Napoli
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    If Roma tie and Inter lose, is there a spareggio (playoff) to resolve the tie ?

If so, is it a one game neutral location game or a 2 game home and away deal ?

22. Cassano

Cassano Member

Jul 16, 2004
    Club:
    AC Milan
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    no, Inter would win the Scudetto on head to head.

23. Gaetano

Gaetano New Member

Apr 24, 2007
    Lafayette, CA
    Club:
    SSC Napoli
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    So, then Avram Grant is confused about the rules in Serie A ?

Chelsea's Grant says title should be decided in playoff

Sat May 10, 2008 12:11am BST
    By Chris Hatherall
    LONDON (Reuters) - The Premier League should be decided in a playoff in future if teams finish level on points at the top, Chelsea manager Avram Grant said on Friday.
    Chelsea go into the final weekend of the season level on 84 points with leaders Manchester United but they will lose the title race on goal difference if both clubs record a similar result on Sunday. United's tally is 17 goals better.
    Grant, whose team face Bolton Wanderers while United visit Wigan Athletic, said: "I prefer the system in Italy. If you have the same points you play a playoff and it is decided on that.
    "Of course, I have interest now to say that, but I like it anyway. Sometimes, you score more goals against the weakest teams. If you have the same points, you are at the same level so you need to play to see who is the better," he told reporters.
    However, Grant, who has promised to share a bottle of Israeli wine with United manager Alex Ferguson before the two title contenders meet in the Champions League final in Moscow on May 21, is refusing to look back on missed opportunities.
    "Of course, after any game you look back and say 'I could have done this better'. But I think in the season not everything can be perfect, not for us and not for United. We came to the same points and now we wait for Sunday."
    (Editing by Rex Gowar)

24. Borussia

Borussia Member+

Jun 5, 2006
    Fürth near Nuremberg
    Club:
    Borussia Mönchengladbach
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Are you sure?

I thought there'd be a game in a neutral venue...:confused:

25. Cassano

Cassano Member

Jul 16, 2004
    Club:
    AC Milan
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    No not this season. There will be no playoffs if any two teams end the season level on points, whether it be for Salvezza or Scudetto. The first tiebreaker is head to head, then goal differential.