Remembering Steel Field -- the First SSS?

Discussion in 'Philadelphia Union' started by triplet1, Feb 16, 2008.

1. triplet1

triplet1 BigSoccer Supporter

Jul 25, 2006
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

In 1915, Bethlehem Steel FC purchased eight acres of land on East Elizabeth Avenue in Bethlehem from the Moravian Church for construction of an athletic field. It is, I believe, the first “soccer specific stadium” in the United States. Certainly there were other soccer fields built prior to Steel Field, but as far as I can tell it represents the first stadium built specifically by and for what would be a professional team, predating Marks Stadium in North Tiverton, Rhode Island that was constructed for the Fall River Marksmen.

Given that many Bethlehem Steel players came from Scotland and England, it shouldn’t be too surprising that Steel Field looks very much like a British ground. Early stadiums in Scotland and England often consisted of a single, covered main stand, often of brick, surrounded by an open bowl. (A number of the British stands, including Ibrox Park, Bramall Lane and Craven Cottage were designed by Archibald Leitch.)

Steel Field included a brick, covered grandstand that apparently seated 2,400, with bleachers flanking the main stand. The roof was probably a necessity, as the American Soccer League did play from September through May, when weather would have been an issue. I’m not certain of the total capacity. Colin Jose notes in his book on the History of the American Soccer League that ASL teams typically drew between 6,000 and 8,000 fans per game, although Bethlehem Steel itself never drew particularly well and the team played its bigger games at Lehigh University’s old Taylor Stadium.

Wikipedia indicates that Bethlehem Steel gave the stadium to Moravian College, but that doesn’t appear to be accurate. In fact, newspaper accounts of the time indicate that Bethlehem Steel sold Steel Field to Lehigh University in 1925, which renamed the field Lehigh Field, although Bethlehem Steel FC continued to play most of their games at Steel Field until the team folded. With the completion of Sayre Field in 1962, Lehigh University in turn sold Steel Field to Moravian College, which operates it to this day as part of the Steel Field Athletic Complex.

In 2005, Moravian College rebuilt the playing surface, installing a new running track and artificial turf, but I believe the main stand survives to this day. Perhaps someone out there can confirm it. Photos from that 2005 project show the main stand, looking much the same as it did 90 years before. The glass sidewalls are gone, partially replaced by brick, but the old stadium still looks pretty good, standing vigil over the field where one of the first great professional soccer teams in the United States once played.

Links and Sources.

Lehigh University: A History of Education in Engineering, Business, and the Human Condition, by Willard Ross Yates, page 219 (“In the Summer of 1962, Sayre Field was completed and Steel Field was sold to Moravian College.”) Lehigh University Press.

http://www.ironlakessportsclub.com/LV Soccer History.htm (“The Moravian congregation sold The Steel eight acres and in 1915 the Elizabeth Avenue Athletic Field, now called Steel Field and used by Moravian College, was built.”)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Moravian_College (“Most of [Moravian] College's athletic fields are located at th[e Steel Field] Complex, including the newly renovated football stadium with a grandstand capacity of 2,400 and a new Sportexe turf field.”)

http://www.geocities.com/bethlehem_soccer/

Photos:

http://www.moravian.edu/giving/rocco/photos.htm

2. cowtown

cowtown Moderator
    Staff Member

Dec 8, 2006
    Plano, TX
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Very cool.

3. philsoc

philsoc Member

Jul 11, 2000
    South Florida
    Very cool - I always thought it was Mark's Stadium in 1922...

4. triplet1

Jul 25, 2006
    Sam Mark's Stadium was a great ASL venue, but unfortunately I believe it was built of wood and it was torn down about 1950. Boston's Ballparks & Arenas By Alan E. Foulds has an entire chapter on the stadium (as well as a couple other ASL stadiums), complete with a photo of the field as it now looks, starting at page 155. You can preview it on Google Book Search if you search "boston's ballparks and arenas".

5. DaveBrett

DaveBrett Member

Nov 28, 1998
    Austin, Texas
  6. triplet1

Jul 25, 2006
    Here is the 1924 NFL

Cleveland Bulldogs
    Chicago Bears
    Frankford (Philadelphia) Yellow Jackets
    Duluth Kelleys
    Rock Island Independents
    Green Bay Packers
    Racine Legion
    Chicago Cardinals
    Buffalo Bisons
    Columbus Tigers
    Hammond Pros
    Milwaukee Badgers
    Akron Pros
    Dayton Triangles
    Kansas City Blues
    Rochester Jeffersons
    Kenosha Maroons
    Minneapolis Marines
    Canton Bulldogs

Half of these NFL teams were gone five years later. When the Soccer War started in 1929, both the NFL and ASL each had ten teams. The Bears drew just under 10,000 people a game to lead the NFL in attendance in 1924, while most NFL clubs drew 1,500 to 5,000 (with the Packers 3,500, for example). By contrast, Fall River averaged 8,000 a game at Mark's Stadium to lead the ASL, while other teams averaged about 6,000.

Baseball was king during the inter-war years, but the ASL was a lot more substantial than people generally give it credit for, and certainly comparable, if not bigger, than the young NFL.

7. RedBulls225

RedBulls225 New Member

Jun 19, 2007
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    I drove right by that stadium a few weeks ago when I was visiting Lafayette and Lehigh... Just throwin' it out there.

8. triplet1

Jul 25, 2006
    Can't get much better confirmation that it's still there than that. ;)

If anyone is ever in the neighborhood with a digital camera, there is supposed to be a marker on the stadium that notes its soccer heritage.

9. CACuzcatlan

CACuzcatlan Member

Jun 11, 2007
    San Francisco, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Trivia fact: The "FC" in Bethlehem Steel FC stands for "field club" not "football club"

Irrelevant side note: my favorite old school U.S. soccer team name: Brooklyn Wanderers

10. phillyphan609

phillyphan609 New Member

Oct 4, 2007
    Jersey
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    i go to lehigh and i've never seen that stadium. it might have something to do with the fact i don't have a car and that i find moravian too far a walk in the winter. maybe i'll journey over there in the spring. you have to love the history and how such a small town had such a huge impact on US soccer and the country with Beth Steel.

11. IlliniOnFire

IlliniOnFire Hostile AND Abusive

Oct 8, 2006
    Southern Illinois
    Big difference was that back in the 20's football was insanely popular and soccer, while not exactly an unknown sport, was still light-years behind...

the professional sport took years to catch up (as an Illinois alum, we like to think that Red Grange, George Halas, and the Bears were responsible for legitimizing football as a professional sport), but the collegiate game was very popular... the Yale Bowl, Ohio Stadium, Michigan Stadium, Franklin Field, Memorial Stadium at Illinois, and other facilities opened around that time, attracting 50-60,000 fans or more in some cases. Soldier Field in Chicago would draw over 100,000 for some college and high school games.

12. bright

bright Member

Dec 28, 2000
    Central District
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It is true that colleges defined the mainstream cultural significance of American football. They also helped define the mainstream cultural significance of soccer in this country.

This article describes what was happening around the turn of the century on college campuses regarding American football and soccer: http://www.sover.net/~spectrum/hist1.html

- Paul

13. Sport Billy

Sport Billy Moderator
    Staff Member

May 25, 2006
    MOD NOTE: Moved from Expansion (general) to Philly

14. triplet1

Jul 25, 2006
    I hate to sound testy, but I'm not sure why you moved this. The old name of the "Expansion" forum was "Expansion and Stadiums", and that's what this is about, a stadium -- the first soccer specific stadium for a professional team which isn't even in Philadelphia.

Are stadium discussions no longer part of the Expansion Forum?

15. Calcio69

Calcio69 New Member

Jan 25, 2007
    CHADDS FORD PA
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The article fails to mention that Haverford defeated Harvard in the first US intercollegiate soccer game in 1905.

16. SoB Bolton

SoB Bolton New Member

Mar 25, 2007
    Chester, PA
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    What did you have to eat at the match?

17. ReneGoulet

ReneGoulet New Member

Aug 10, 2007
    use. the. multi-quote. tool.

I have all these Lehigh Valley or affiliated people posting and not one has JOINED THE ARMY!

C'mon folks, support the PA Stoners NPSL squad.

18. Dills

Dills Moderator
    Staff Member

Philadelphia Union
    United States
    Jun 6, 2006
    Southampton|PA
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    i thought this was a thread about Steel Field ... not a platform for recruitment.
    :rolleyes:

19. ReneGoulet

ReneGoulet New Member

Aug 10, 2007
    C'mon, it's Lehigh Valley related, and what I wrote is more relevant than a "Steel Field" posting in the Phila section.

20. Z010 Union

Z010 Union Moderator
    Staff Member

Mar 28, 2002
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    A brownie

21. Calcio69

Calcio69 New Member

Jan 25, 2007
    CHADDS FORD PA
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Duh Hardfart teem'z goylfrenz - deelish :eek:
    Fur dizurt - yummz

22. triplet1

Jul 25, 2006
    Many high school games did indeed outdraw college games, in fact. As you may know, in the 1930s and 1940s, the Prep Bowl drew crowds of 75,000 to 110,000 to Soldier Field. Thanksgiving Day prep football was also a huge event in Michigan in the 1920s.

http://www.ihsa.org/activity/fb/records/agen.htm

http://www.mlive.com/preps/weblog/index.ssf?/mtlogs/mlive_fortherecord/archives/2005_08.html

That popularity had not translated to the professional game, however, especially during the 1920s. Seasons were also much shorter -- perhaps 9 games, with four or five home games at the college level, contrasted to Soccer where they were often playing 25 or so home games a year in all competitions.

23. Cuchalain's Dog

Cuchalain's Dog New Member

Dec 13, 2007
    Philadelphia
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Where they named after the book? Curious :confused:

24. MLisinPA

MLisinPA Member

Sep 16, 2007
    Mechanicsburg, PA
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I never knew about any of this. Very awesome to look at for a history major.

25. soccerdad1150

soccerdad1150 Member

Sep 22, 2007
    West Chester, PA
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    THANKS -- that was great. (Now if i could just stop that effing twitch I developed 'cause all my friends called me a soccer ****** growing up.):rolleyes: