Kyle Veris in Norway

Discussion in 'Yanks Abroad' started by Dave Marino-Nachison, Feb 15, 2008.

1. Dave Marino-Nachison

Jun 9, 1999
    Trial at Hodd:

Fredag kjem Kyle Veris for å vise seg fram i Hødd. Midtstopparen kjem frå LA Galaxy, klubben som er mest kjent for å ha David Beckham i stallen. Veris har spelt 18 ligakampar for LA Galaxy dei siste to sesongane, og hadde nok hatt fleire kampar i beltet hadde det ikkje vore for ei kneskade. 24-åringen skal vere i Ulsteinvik i ei veke.​

Link:
    http://www.hodd.no/

Paolo Dos Santos has been at this club recently but is MIA.

2. Dr.Phil

Dr.Phil Member+

Jan 18, 2004
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Wondering where he was going to end up

He is a big defender so I figured someone would go for him

3. sidefootsitter

sidefootsitter Member+

Oct 14, 2004
    I had to look up that Hodd was in the same league as Haugesund.

The article refers to him as a central defender.

Hey, he is 6'3".

4. Sandon Mibut

Sandon Mibut Member+

Feb 13, 2001
    He showed flashes of potential so I'm surprised no one in MLS was willing to give him a decent salary offer to keep him here. I mean, the Galaxy opted to keep Julian Valentin over him. That just doesn't make sense.

5. Grumpy in LA

Grumpy in LA Bringing It Since 1807™

Sep 10, 2007
    Chicago
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    B-but, but everything the Galaxy does makes sense. Lalas has a master plan.

6. Matt12

Matt12 Member

Nov 26, 2007
    Trondheim
    Club:
    Rosenborg BK
    Hødd is a fun team they have been going up and down between the second and third divison the last couple of years.
    I gt some fammily in the area so i have been to some games and allways kinda liked them.
    They managed to beat out Rosenborg from the norwegian cup a few years ago so that was fun...well at least for my relatives who could bug me about it and kinda still do :)

Ullsteinvik is a tiny place so i think Veris is going to be a bit shocked about 6000 inhabetants. and if i remember correctly that is also the capacity of the stadium.

As for posison in the country Ullstein is close to Ålesund.

7. Baysider

Baysider Member+

Jul 16, 2004
    Santa Monica
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    He was waived before Valentin was even drafted. The problem is that he was on the dev roster for the last couple of years and he may be getting old enough that he would require a senior roster spot now.

Physically he looks impressive, but he's never really performed that well when he's had the chance. And this on a Galaxy team that was weak on defenders.

8. Testudo

Testudo Member+

Jan 29, 1999
    Arlington, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Veris: Rhymes with "hopeless".

9. Dave Marino-Nachison

Jun 9, 1999
    Can anyone translate this?

Nye spillere på vei inn?
    Allerede denne uka kan det skje noe på denne fronten, tror Fladmark.

- Vi har to spillere på prøvespill nå. Kyle Veris er en amerikansk midtstopper på 24 år som har vært med oss i fire dager nå og som blir her ut denne uka. Han har gitt et godt inntrykk, og vi vil ta en avgjørelse i forhold til om vi vil gi han kontrakt i løpet av helga. ​

More here but I don't know if it's about Kyle:

http://nernett.hivolda.no/PageND.aspx?id=240

There is another report on Norwegian Google News that mentions him but I can't get the link to work for some reason.

10. Matt12

Matt12 Member

Nov 26, 2007
    Trondheim
    Club:
    Rosenborg BK
    This is not a word for word translation but covers te main points in the article.

The article is an intwervie with the Hødd manager, He says that he thinks it`s going to be hard For Hødd to stay in the league after getting promoted last year. But then considering that Hødd is from a tiny village with just 7000 inhabatants and without any rich investors it`s impressive that they have even managed to make it to the second divison.

One of the main conserns he thinks is the very smal squad just 18 players 3 of them keepers. BUt hopefully that will change soon since the moment have 2 players on trial.
    Kyle Veris a former MLS central defender and a young norwegian talent.
    About Veris he says that so far he has given a posetiv impression and that the managment will decied wether or not ot sign him with in the week.

Then there is a bit about preseason preparations, the manager is generaly happy with the qualite of the tranings session, but he woude have liked to have more time with the team. This unfortuatly is not possibel since most of the players are only semi proffesional and have to work during the day.

11. Dr.Phil

Dr.Phil Member+

Jan 18, 2004
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Hope he gets signed

12. Dave Marino-Nachison

Jun 9, 1999
    I'm not sure he's signed, but he did play on the 24th in a 2-2 tie and got this mention on the club site:

Venstre back Oddbjørn Lie knalla inn 2-1 på eit godt langskot, og i denne perioden burde Hødd ha punktert kampen, men i staden for nye Hødd-skoringar vart det Alta som utlikna etter ein miss av Kyle Veris i Hødd-forsvaret.​

Link:
    http://www.hodd.no/

And here's a profile from the 20th with the amusing title "Beckham's a whiskey kinda guy" but it's in Norwegian:

I fjor spilte amerikaneren Kyle Veris (24) med David Beckham i LA Galaxy. Nå har han tenkt å ta med seg erfaringene fra fotballikonet inn i norsk 1.divisjon.​

Link:
    http://nernett.hivolda.no/PageND.aspx?id=317

13. Dave Marino-Nachison

Jun 9, 1999
    Kyle didn't play in Hodd's 4-2 loss to Molde today.

14. Matt12

Matt12 Member

Nov 26, 2007
    Trondheim
    Club:
    Rosenborg BK
    I don`t really know anything more but the article from the game against Alta Says that the team in general show posetive tendensis but was unabel to score the game endeing goal.
    Instead Alta was abel to gt lvl at 2-2 after a mistake buy Veris. Unfortunatly is does not say anything more about how he played in the rest of the game.

15. Dave Marino-Nachison

Jun 9, 1999
    Here's a more recent bit of Veris news (also in Norwegian):

Det er ikkje teke endeleg avgjerd om Kyle Veris blir Hødd-spelar. Veris gjorde eit solid inntrykk under opphaldet i Hødd og er framleis aktuell, men den siste veka har det kome opp ei moglegheit som klubben ønskjer å sjekke nærare.​

Link:
    http://www.vikebladet.no/article/20080304/SPORT/735979286/1007/FEATURE

16. terp fan

terp fan New Member

Nov 21, 2000

So it sounds like he's making a positive impression and they are still waiting to make a decision on him.....I think it says.

17. Matt12

Matt12 Member

Nov 26, 2007
    Trondheim
    Club:
    Rosenborg BK
    Yeah pretty much, it also says the reason they have not made a decison yet is cause they have recently been made aware of anoter opertunity that they want to explore befor makeing a decison.

So baseicaly i think they have an opertunity to signe anoter player and want to see how that goes befor makeing a final decison on Veris.

18. Dave Marino-Nachison

Jun 9, 1999
    Here's a story from a couple of days after the last one, but it's about a week old now:

Kor vidt Hødd kjem til å knyte til seg anten Veris eller Caballero - eller begge to - er ikkje avklara. Regelverket set ikkje lenger grense for kor mange utanlandske spelarar ein norsk toppklubb kan ha.​

http://www.vikebladet.no/article/20080306/SPORT/205192856/1007/FEATURE

And from today, from the club. Can someone translate?

Vegard Heltne og Ulrik Wingsternes er tatt opp i A-stallen til Hødd. Begge spelarane har hospitert gjennom heile vinteren og gjort sine saker meget bra. Også Fernando Caballero og Kyle Veris blir Hødd-spelarar. Alle fire blir med på lagets treningsleir til La manga. Klubben er særs fornøgd med at alle fire no er på plass i A-stallen. Sjå vedlagt pressemelding.​

Here's a press release that mentions him. Does it mean he's been signed?

http://www.hodd.no/files/documents/pressemelding_14(2)._mars(2).pdf

19. Matt12

Matt12 Member

Nov 26, 2007
    Trondheim
    Club:
    Rosenborg BK
    The first aticle just has some info about Caballero apprantly he is with the club on trial and it also says that two of the clubs youngsters will be given a shot at some senior spots.
    But so Hødd has not decided to signe anyone.

The press releas says that the befor mentioned youngsters will be taken up as full fleged senior players, and both Caballero and Veris has been signed to the club. And they will all be traveling with the club to La Manga were the team has a preseason traning camp.

Veris is decribed as a stronge player with a decent passing game who can play as a central defender back or cental midfield.
    It also says he is fairly experiensed after playing at the higest lvl in the US.
    Sounds like a good fit for Hødd since i think there team is fairly inexperiensed at the proffesional lvl
    Finaly it says that there is still a couple of formalites to work out befor he is officaly a Hødd player but it shud be fixed soon.

So looks like thats anoter Yank in Norway :)

How woude you rate him as a player ?

20. sidefootsitter

sidefootsitter Member+

Oct 14, 2004
    Most would rate Guy Caballero higher.

21. crazy al

crazy al Member

Dec 11, 2005
    Fort Worth, TX
    Club:
    CA Boca Juniors
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Matt12 -

It appears Norway has become the land of opportunity for young American talent!

How hard is it for a US player to get a work permit in Norway? It seems they are not having the problems some players have had in other European countries, especially the UK.

22. Matt12

Matt12 Member

Nov 26, 2007
    Trondheim
    Club:
    Rosenborg BK
    Well i think there are some formalites for players outside the EU like i think there are for workers outside the EU in any oter proffesion but there are no restrisons based on non EU nasionality buy the league themselfs.

As i remember it out of a 25 man senior squad 14 has to be localy developed. The remaning 11 spots have no restricsons.

Localy developed means that player has to have been playing for a norwegain team for at least 3 years befor he is 21.
    lso out of the 14 localy developed players at least 2 needs to be developed buy the club. Mraning the player woude need to be with the club for at least 3 years befor he is 21.

This rule is relativly new been made offical just a few months ago and is probebly one of the reasons why so many Yanks seems to be signing to norwegian clubs the oter been a weak dollar and norwegain teams expanding there budgets a lot in the last couple of years. With the average first divison budget been about 18 million dollars this year

23. Baysider

Baysider Member+

Jul 16, 2004
    Santa Monica
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Good size, OK speed. He was converted to defender from forward midway through college and it shows in his defensive skills.

Was with the Galaxy for a couple of years (the highest level in the US :D ) but didn't get much playing time. He was released this offseason.

He never looked that good when he played for us and with the limited rosters in MLS it's hard to keep someone who is not ready to contribute after two years. Particularly when he wasn't beating out the crappy defenders we have.

When he has cornrows he looks a little like Gooch which probably led people to overvalue his talent.

24. Shaydee

Shaydee Member

Apr 8, 2002
    New Jersey
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    he's always struck me as a guy that got by on being an athlete and when he made it to the top level he couldn't really hang.

25. sidefootsitter

sidefootsitter Member+

Oct 14, 2004
    That can happen if you're given various instructions by your various coaches while playing various positions.

Look at some NFL guys - today he is a stand-up pass rushing linebacker in 3-4, tomorrow he is a 3-point stance DE in 4-3. This year he is playing the strong side man marking/covering a TE and, the next, he is on the right side in space.

I am not saying Veris can make it in Norway - David Stokes, a wretched player, couldn't make it in Germany's 3rd level, despite his athleticism - but he's doesn't seem like a dumb guy and he is not expensive to his club.

So, if he is given a consistent role, he should be able to get some experience and then move from there.