In Response to Jeff

Discussion in 'Seattle Sounders FC' started by WestSeattle, Feb 7, 2008.

1. WestSeattle

WestSeattle New Member

Nov 14, 2007
    Seattle
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    In response to this…

http://goalseattle.blogspot.com/2008/02/seattle-soccer-fans-picture-this.html

Dear Jeff:

Thanks for your enthusiastic editorial, on the Goal Seattle blog about the CONCACAF Champions League and Seattle’s involvement in it (assuming Seattle MLS becomes good enough in the years ahead).

I too, am excited about the potential of the league’s new format, and I am very excited about the prospect of winning that tournament in the future. The scenario you paint, playing the Aguilas of America is indeed an exciting thought about what may lie ahead.

So while I don’t want to appear ungrateful for the time, energy and prose you provided for us today, I do want to quibble with you over one item: the “Eurosnob” euphemism. Let me tell you my background, which provides insight into my own bias here.

I was born in London, England; Ealing to be precise, and can point to English heritage that dates back to the 17th century (probably even further but written records get very sparse before 1680 or so). So I would fit your alleged "Eurosnob" title perfectly. I immigrated to North America at a fairly early age, and I have lived in Canada, the US, Bahamas and even Mexico in my time.

Having ties to both sides of the ocean, I find myself all the time always caught in the middle of arguments over the health and legitimacy of soccer across the Atlantic. Very often in fact, I find myself having to advocate North American soccer. In particular, I point out the strength of the Mexican and US World Cup teams, and rightly point out the rising class of player from all parts of North America.

While I enjoy fighting for the “recognition” of CONCACAF play, I also often must turn the table, and stop American soccer fans from reducing European fans, to a wretched stereotype: the idea that European fans are snotty elitists, who can’t see the strength of the game beyond their own national borders.

The term “Eurosnob” when used as a comical adjective can be amusing, but when you offer it up seriously, as a definitive sect of fan, I take a small issue with it.

Not all of us born on the other side of the ocean are “snobs”, and even the most ardent supporter of Italy, Germany, France of England is that myopic or dismissive of North American soccer. Sure these fans exist, (much like NBA fans that refuse to see the growing strength of basketball in other countries), however, in my experience, that xenophobic stereotype so often conjured with the term “Eurosnob” is more and more, becoming the minority.

The European fan is not a superior breed of fan, nor is it an inferior breed of fan however. Indeed, most European fans I know (and they include my own relatives) are tremendously open-minded about the origin of players, from all corners of the world. Even that dreaded stereotype, called the “English soccer snob”, is really more myth than reality now. England’s propensity to naval gaze and faun over an era when its soccer and its empire were dominant still exists, but it’s more nostalgic than dismissive, more harmless than discriminatory.

I have no doubt “Eurosnobs” exist, but the term is an ugly one, because it paints an entire continent of fans with one brush. It is not a racist term, but it borders on one, and it is certainly an outdated notion. The fact is, to my experience the majority of European fans are changing, and they have embraced the international game.

Your editorial was superb, it rightly celebrated the exciting new format of the Champions League, and Seattle’s potential to make waves in the tournament, and maybe even worldwide. It made interesting commentary and suggestions on how to improve on what we already have. However, in my opinion, we don’t need to chastise Europe to make our point. We don’t need to create a stereotype, to celebrate our own potential.

So I urge you: if we have a score to settle with Europe, let’s do it on the pitch, and not with derogatory terms such as “Eurosnob”. I’ll leave your comment about Mexican fans alone for now, except to say if you ever you live in Mexico, and get to meet, work and live with Mexican fans you might gain a different perspective of them. They may be our dreaded rivals, but they too, deserve respect as equals and I believe they do CONCACAF proud.

Despite my petty criticism over a single word, I do hope you recognize that overall I thought the editorial was outstanding. I hope to stand next to you against America, and who knows, maybe even stand next to you against Liverpool and Marseilles, rooting for Seattle of course the entire way.

2. asoc

asoc Member+

Sep 28, 2007
    Tacoma
    I always got the impression "Eurosnob" was a reference to those who feel European soccer is the only soccer worth watching. Specifically those in the U.S. who refuse to acknowledge their local leagues and teams. The "Euro" is describing the bias towards European soccer, not the origin of the person. At least that is how I understand the term.

3. koolkeith13

koolkeith13 Member

Jun 14, 2007
    Seattle
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Eurosnob, in my mind, refers to the legions of fans who pour into the pubs to watch the big four of any country play, are American, and look down their noses at American teams or (in many cases) don't support their local American side. It doesn't necessarily refer to ex-pats and especially not to those living across the pond. I prefer to just refer to these folks as barstool supporters as it is a lot clearer.

Also, when Jeff (I think it's Jeph) mentioned Mexico not wanting to be in CONCACAF he meant that the club teams (and maybe national teams) would rather be a part of UEFA because of the size and respect of their Champions League and strength of their national sides. I don't think he meant that they don't want to be here in CONCACAF literally. Rather just somewhere else.

4. WestSeattle

WestSeattle New Member

Nov 14, 2007
    Seattle
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Great responses, thanks.

I took his meaning to suggest fans in Europe look down their noses at CONCACAF, something in my experience is diminishing all over the world.

As for Mexico, I interpreted his meaning to be that Mexican fans felt they were "too good" for CONCACAF. In my experience, Mexican fans love to beat the USA, they are some of the most knowledable and passionate fans I've met. It's an incredible rivalry, and it is appreciated by both sides, in my personal experience.

I have to confess, I root for CONCACAF in the World Cup, that means I've rooted for Mexico on occasion. I also became quite a UNAM Pumas fan in my time in Mexico. So its very possible my bias is showing here, and I simply was overly senstive to the remark.

In any case, if I misinterpreted Jeff's meaning in both cases, I apologize in advance.

I did think it was a splendid editorial though, whatever quibbles I had with it, shouldn't detract from appreciation of the writing. The enthusiasm and the anticipation of what lies ahead is indeed exciting, which to me, was the main thesis of the piece.

5. Keeper Studios

Keeper Studios New Member

Jan 7, 2002
    Lynnwood WA
    I will do something unusual and actually post here other than just read ...

The "Eurosnob" controversy here is a valid one and I can understand why some might take offense ... however, the person who has taken offense is not a "Eurosnob" ...

if you are FROM England or FROM Italy and you go out of your way to watch games from your home land then you are NOT a "Eurosnob" ... you are an ex-patriot of your country longing for a taste of home ... that is actually cool ... I enjoy hanging with the guys at the George and Dragon that are from England ... there's this one ManU fan I have chatted with that thinks Arsenal should be forced to play in the French League, he is not joking ... I work with a guy from Italy that bleeds for Milan and it is fun to talk with him ... that is something TOTALLY different ....

The "Eurosnob" is the guy ... very often newer to the game having watched Champions League coverage on ESPN2 ... he watched one half of an MLS game in 1998 and is convinced that his viewing of that game makes him an expert on MLS play ... it was probably a Miami Fusion game ... to him the US game cannot possibly be worth watching unless necessary ... he wont go to a USL1 game but expects good seats when an MLS team comes by for an Open Cup game because that MIGHT be worth going to ... he'll pay to see Preston North End but not for a local rivalry match the next weekend ....

I do watch some European Soccer ... enjoy some of it ... but it is tragically overrated ...... big money does not always mean better ... it is way too conservative and boring ...

in re Mexico ... they make no bones about their preference to actually be in CONMEBOL as opposed to CONCACAF ... the Gold Cup was created to placate them ... the teams that get to play in the Copa Libertadores are far happier than the two champions that get stuck playing in the Concacaf Champions Cup ... they want out and there is a general sense I get from Mexican fans I know that they consider Mexico's ongoing place in Concacaf to be holding the development of the national team that would be solved by switching confederations or somehow forcing a merge ... If they take the attitude that they would really rather be doing something else into this new tourney then it will hurt the tourney ... bear in mind I watch Mexican soccer on Sunday mornings since I dont have cable and Univision is now on the air on CH51 around here ... my criticism of Mexico is not that I dislike them, that I think they are looking down on their federation in frustration over where they really want to be ... I imagine Australia being allowed to switch to Asia for the same reasons Mexico wants out of Concacaf really ruffled some feathers ...

anyways ... thanks for reading

6. WestSeattle

WestSeattle New Member

Nov 14, 2007
    Seattle
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Thanks for the reply, much appreciated.

the teams that get to play in the Copa Libertadores are far happier than the two champions that get stuck playing in the Concacaf Champions Cup

Yeah this seems accurate, and certainly understandable. Getting to compete head to head with the Argentine and Brazilian clubs is a great thing.

they want out and there is a general sense I get from Mexican fans I know that they consider Mexico's ongoing place in Concacaf to be holding the development of the national team

This is news to me, although I don't doubt you've heard what you heard. Mexican fans *love* to comment on their national team though, and opinions vary loudly on the topic.

However, the fact is the Mexico/US rivalry provides a lot of financial fuel for Mexico, that I do not know would transfer if they left CONCACAF. Not to mention Mexican-Americans would be miffed at such a transfer. I'd argue it would really hurt Mexico in the long run, but I am a very distant fan, so I am sure someone closer could comment better than I could.

I haven't talked to my buddies in Mexico in years (since just before the last World Cup), it is possible the mood has changed since 2006. It's very possible, that because opinion is so diverse over the team, we're just hearing different things.

I am basing my perception largely on when I lived there, which was waaaaaaaaay back in 1993, and obviously so much has changed since then. So it is entirely possible I am out of touch.

It would be great if a Mexican-American or Mexican fan out there could comment on this. I'd love to know what the general opinion is out there of the Tricolor fans. If they are unhappy with CONCACAF, that would make me sad, because really the reason why CONCACAF is finally getting some recognition, is because the rivalry between the US and Mexico has become so good, and to my eys both countries have elevated the play of each other because of the rivalry.

Anyway, thanks for taking the time to address my concerns.

7. Keeper Studios

Keeper Studios New Member

Jan 7, 2002
    Lynnwood WA
    No worries ... I kind of expected some response ...

The US Mexico rivalry has been good ... for both ...

But I remember the reason for the Gold Cup was that it addressed Mexico's concerns that it was not getting enough competitive matches ... be careful what you ask for ...

The Champions League format is interesting in that it comes right on the heels of SuperLiga turning out to generate fan interest and the Mexican teams' apparent preference for playing in the Copa ... I dont see how the timing of this is a coincidence ...

Concacaf needs Mexico ... they need a full strength Mexico and Mexican Clubs taking all of these tourneys seriously ... and it appears that they take Concacaf events as seriously as EPL clubs take the Carling Cup ...

8. WestSeattle

WestSeattle New Member

Nov 14, 2007
    Seattle
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    To be fair I don't think any pro-team tournament across North American leagues has generated much interest, here, Mexico or anywhere. I love them, but they haven't captivated anyone yet. I would suggest the format change is more indicative of the fact, that they want to generate more interest, and to me the big winner in the format change was Canada.

I like the rule changes, I applaud them, but I think the apathey about the tournament isn't just confined to Mexico. That's just perception though, are there attendance figures or other data that back up the idea that Mexico is less enthused than US squads?

Looking at sparse data on the 2007 tournie on Wiki, it seems Mexican and American attendance was about even. I am sure there's better data out there, it would be interesting to know.

Still, I am not sure either of us are really qualified to comment on Mexican enthusiasm for Champions League, especially with the revised format. I understand Mexico being more interested Copa Libertadores, because quite frankly, the competition there rocks. I don't think that necessarily means the newly formatted league will be met with apathey. I am not an expert, that's just speculation based on having lived there, and the unsatiable appetite for soccer that I know exists there.

Again, let me state, I love what you wrote, and especially *why* you wrote it: Seattle will be a part of all this and more in just one year. The thought of going to a FIFA Club World Cup, and seeing Seattle represented, would be a dream come true.

And I intend to live long enough to see that happen. :)

9. GOALSeattle

GOALSeattle Member

Oct 13, 2007
    Seattle
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Jeff blogs again at www.GOALSeattle.com:

http://goalseattle.blogspot.com/2008/02/standing-there-knowing-score.html

I am not one of those fans that needs to pretend that a taped game is live. Even when teams I have a vested rooting interest are playing I just don't see the point. But ... and this is one big butt ... that places me in a distinct minority while at the George and Dragon Pub.

Fine. If it enhances the experience for people watching a game that is already over to try and keep some suspense, who am I to ruin their fun? I can keep a secret. And, it is apparently good for business.

10. MintyDude

MintyDude Member

Aug 2, 2006
    Seattle/Bellingham
    All my friends are Eurosnobs. They don't think the U.S. team amounts to anything because they don't actually watch soccer. They just watch man U because they're an over publicized joke of a team.

Oh Arsenal too.

11. KnucklesBuchanan

Jul 12, 2007
    Section 149
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Everything you've just said there is ridiculous. Man U may be over publicized, but to call them (or Arsenal or Chelsea, etc.) a joke of a team is incorrect, ridiculous, stupid, sour grapes, whatever. Hate them all you want, but to call them a joke is just wrong. Now as to the USMNT, I don't think they'll amount to a whole hell of a lot until they drastically change that organization from top to bottom, but at least they have been playing some very entertaining soccer, which was not something you could say about the team under Bruce Arena.

12. SeattleSupporter

Aug 17, 2004
    North Sound Ultra
    In my opinion, the "joke" is how those teams are pretty much force fed to the US fans who then ignore their local teams/leagues.

13. koolkeith13

koolkeith13 Member

Jun 14, 2007
    Seattle
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well, that would appear to be their own problem. I don't care that people ignore their local leagues and teams. I don't think Sounders matches would've been that much better to me last year if we had 15,000 per game. My passion is in supporting top-flight Seattle footy, whatever that may be. Now, if the closest team was the PDL Tacoma Tide I might've been a barstool supporter, too.

These things are just a matter of perspective.

14. WestSeattle

WestSeattle New Member

Nov 14, 2007
    Seattle
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    What's interesting about being an Arsenal fan these days is that people look at you and assume you've just jumped onto a trend, like 50% of the Red Sox fans walking around this town have. You know the type, they can tell you all about the Babe Ruth curse from some PBS documentary they saw, but freeze like a deer in the headlights when you ask them who Bobby Doerr is.

It hasn't always easy to be an Arsenal fan, perhaps easier than it has been being a fan of Scunthorpe United, to be sure, but the league was not always the way its structured now. Premiere League soccer is hard to recognize these days. It is so bloated, so saturated cash and Arsenal itself is riddled with non-English players. I don't mind that, but when the starting squad didn't feature a single English player - at all - well I know my Grandfather (a former player on the Arsenal reserve squad before WWII started), is rolling in his grave.

The point here, is some of us, have a history with these squads, and we follow them out of interest, and possibly even a generational link, but to categorize all of us as "Eurosnob" dismisses us too easily.

Soccer can be appreciated in so many different ways, we all gravitate to the sport for different reasons and appreciate it in different ways. Alas, sometimes soccer fans love to exclude, segregate and judge other fans. The premise of the exclusion is that only fans who support soccer in a certain way are "real". Usually, of course, their lines are based on how they themselves choose to appreciate the sport.

It's a kind of chest thumping, and elitism that seems to exist amongst soccer fans more than any other group of fans in this city. I really wish it would stop. It doesn't do the soccer community one bit of good, and it can often shun newcomers, who eventually get so intimidated by the elitism, exclusion and rites of passage one must complete before being adopted, that they withdraw from the community as a whole.

If you find one of those Arsenal fans, watching a game, talk to him. He might be someone like me, with a much wider appreciation for CONCACAF than you realize. It might be someone new to soccer, and has latched on to a squad through which he can explore his interest. Why not encourage his interest a little? Why not accept the fact, he has not yet embraced other aspects of the sport you enjoy, but help win his trust and admiration so you can expose him to other facets of the sport?

I understand the anger, that many soccer fans only focus on Europe. I just wonder if sometimes, we're not a little quick on that trigger, and wind up excluding fans, that given a little time and patience could be matured into the kind of fan, many of you seem to be clamoring for.

I say all this not to antagonize anyone, but mostly to offer the idea, that I could easily be dubbed a "Eurosnob" by appearance, and action, but if you actually got to know me, I am not that way at all.

15. KnucklesBuchanan

Jul 12, 2007
    Section 149
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Minty: I suppose I should have clarified that my guess, out of all the options I presented, would be 'sour grapes' and not any of the other.

Me, I like watching soccer. I don't care to watch indoor of any kind, but I'll watch just about any other league. I am also a Manchester United fan, but for different reasons than you might think. I was initially a Manchester United hater, as they were (as far as I was concerned) the Yankees of the EPL. However, once I learned more about how they revolutionized youth development in professional soccer, I gained a greater appreciation for the team. That and the fact that I just can't get enough of Cristiano Ronaldo.

16. GOALSeattle

GOALSeattle Member

Oct 13, 2007
    Seattle
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    *ahem*

Tacoma Tide.

(It happens all the time. ;))

17. koolkeith13

koolkeith13 Member

Jun 14, 2007
    Seattle
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Part of what you are seeing as chest thumping or elitism is just good ol' frustration being vented. There are some folks that are frustrated because of recruiting efforts over the years that haven't come to fruition because some soccer fans in this city simply won't turn up for the highest level of footy that we have currently. Some of it might even be jealousy over the sheer size and support the EPL and other European leagues (although I'm not willing to be definitive over this one).

What I was trying to get at before was that it simply doesn't matter to me. While I think it would be great and exciting to have more folks come out for Sounders games it's not the most important thing to me. I have a great time at every game I go to because of the way we support the team and I really enjoy the people I go to matches with. That and the sheer enjoyment of helping to be the "12th man" are it. There's really nothing better.

Now, if someone finds these things at their pub or in their living room with their friends then that's exactly what it's about. While I do go to some of these matches on occasion I massively prefer the live experience and supporting my city's team. Like I said, it's a matter of perspective.

18. Lamil

Lamil New Member

Nov 28, 2007
    Seattle, Wa
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Honestly I can say I had never been to a Sounders match before last year. I have followed my favorite MLS/Euro teams pretty religiously but never even considered the Sounders. Well after going to the Sounders game versus the Colorado Rapids I felt like I had really missed out on some pretty damn good soccer. I had a blast the fans seemed knowlegable and here I was wondering why the hell hadn't I been supporting my local team. I will be the first to admit that I didn't think the Sounders would be good soccer but I have seen the light and was hoping they would still be playing at Qwest so I could support them.

19. WestSeattle

WestSeattle New Member

Nov 14, 2007
    Seattle
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    I know the passion for USL is tangible, and justified. I also understand the frustration some USL fans must feel, that the league's attendance sagged here for a variety of reasons.

I am not sure however any of that should be used to suggest non-USL fans are inferior, or "snobs". Some of us had our own reasons for not paying good money to see the USL. Some of us found different ways to support soccer locally.

Keith your attitude is right on the money: you don't need bastards like me to justify your league and your allegiance to it. Nor however, should you preen that you are a superior breed of fan though. I don't think anyone here does that consistently, but I know soccer fans in general can be elitist that way. I am guilty of similar judgments myself sometimes.

Now, we're about to gain a whole bunch of new fans. As we get closer to "liftoff", we're going to see more fans like me show up on this board. Fans who did not support USL, but are ready to support MLS. My hope is, we all embrace them as equals, even when they violently disagree with us, or dare to express new ideas.

I see the term "Eurosnob", as often being more indicative of snobbery from the accuser than the accused. I know quite a few neophyte soccer fans who support Man-U, or Real Madrid, that wouldn't know a damn thing about the USL. They have however shelled out for tickets to MLS. Shouldn't we embrace them?

Again, I accuse nobody here, I know the term meant people that exclude all CONCACAF soccer, and all US soccer, even MLS. I don't condone that, I but I do condemn using the label simply because somebody wasn't interested in the USL.

Perhaps I'm just sensitive to the whole thing because:

1. I was born in England.
    2. I've never been to see a USL match.
    3. I'm an angry ex-NASL fan, that still holds a grudge against that league.

That's not an easy profile to accept, to those of you who have screamed out your lungs for years, in the USL. I respect that. But, I think you'll find soon that there are more fans like me, that will start to show up on this board, and my hope is, they'll be welcomed with open arms, even if they've only ever watched Premiere League before.

20. Zoidberg

Zoidberg Member+

Jun 23, 2006
    The "real" fans can always go the Manchester FC way.

Just start your own club;) and do it the "rea" way.

I never held a grudge against the old NASL. I was in NYC for the heydey and it always seemed more like a fad than anything else. Never surprisedat the downturn and failure, especially since I knew what faulty grounds the league was built on to begin with.

The beauty of MLS, no matter what growing pains and complaining/deriding by the usual types, is that it will be here in 50 years (of course I might not be) and it will be very viable. Very.
    Just like the struggles of the NBA and old time football, it will all just be a footnote.

Enjoy the history. Very few understand or appreciate when something with legs is being built while they are staring right at it.

In 40-50 years, many of the young deriders/complainers will be old, and they will tell their grankids about how they were there when soccer was nothing, etc, etc, etc...and how they helped build it to what it is today.

...they will truely belive they actually supported at the time when they didn't but nostalgia works like that. Time to enjoy.

21. SeattleSupporter

Aug 17, 2004
    North Sound Ultra
    That's the thing, many of the new people have no respect for those of us that have been in the trenches for all of these "minor league" years.
    While I don't let it bother me personally, it does and will effect how I interact with them. That's just human nature.

I think that the new people should also be understanding and respectful to those of us that have been on board for all of these years.
    This has to be a two way street.

22. bright

bright Member

Dec 28, 2000
    Central District
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Straight up.

- Paul

23. GOALSeattle

GOALSeattle Member

Oct 13, 2007
    Seattle
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This is a good day to be a Sounders fan, they just resigned almost ALL of the 2007 champs roster! Let's see some positive posting in that thread.

24. SeattleSupporter

Aug 17, 2004
    North Sound Ultra

Well, I know I will be there supporting them :cool:

From Qwest Field to Starfire, we'll keep the blue flag flying high!

25. WestSeattle

WestSeattle New Member

Nov 14, 2007
    Seattle
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    There's no doubt that respect is a two-way street, I am sorry if I implied that it wasn't, that was not my intention.