John O'Hara on trial with Wizards

Discussion in 'North Carolina FC' started by Buzz Killington, Feb 6, 2008.

1. Buzz Killington

Buzz Killington Member+

Oct 6, 2002
    Lee's Summit
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  2. aimorris

aimorris Member

May 2, 2007
    Orlando, FL
    Club:
    Orlando City SC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    He's nothing spectacular but the 9 goals in 3 games weren't necessarily his fault. If I'm not mistaken, his starts came near the end of the season against Miami and Puerto Rico (anybody else correct me if I'm wrong) when our defense was littered with injuries and suspensions. And wasn't the other in the USOC? Man, it's been a while since the season...

Anyways, I'm surprised he would be on trial with an MLS team before our #1, Chris McClellan. I'm not much help but there's really not much to say unless you've seen him in training.

3. Sandon Mibut

Sandon Mibut Member+

Feb 13, 2001
    KC's GK coach was, I believe, his GK coach at George Mason, so there is some obvious familiarity there.

4. aimorris

aimorris Member

May 2, 2007
    Orlando, FL
    Club:
    Orlando City SC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That makes sense.

5. wjarrettc

wjarrettc Member
    Staff Member

Oct 1, 2002
    Cliffs of Insanity
    Club:
    Carolina Railhawks
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    O'Hara was supposed to be our #1 keeper last year but McClellan come through the open tryouts and basically stole the job from O'Hara in preseason when John had a bit of a knock. McClellan started red hot and O'Hara never really got another look.

As aimorris stated, don't judge O'Hara by his stats last year. He never seemed to play when the starting back line was available.

O'Hara took Sligo Rovers up to the Irish Premier League and would probably make a very competent backup keeper in MLS. Plus, he's a heck of a nice guy.

6. Th4119

Th4119 Member

Jul 26, 2001
    Annandale, VA
    Wasn't Johno in goal for Carolina's victory over Chicago in the Open Cup?

O'Hara's last season at Mason was 2004. Tenney wasn't an assistant with the team until 2005 but I'm sure despite never playing for him that John knows him.

John had interest out of college from DC United but they weren't prepared to use a Senior International spot on a reserve goalie at the time. However, the combination of MLS' rule change towards foreign players and a few years of experience look to be helping him now. He also recently became eligible for a Green Card which may also help.

7. FC Fred's 1st Fan

FC Fred's 1st Fan New Member

Dec 1, 2006
    Good luck to John with KC. Hopefully he will make it there, keeping us (Richmond) from having to face him in Wilmington :p

Just FYI, O'hara has been playing with the FC Fredericksburg Generals (indoor) the past few weeks. He was in goal for them for at least two games.

8. AndyMead

AndyMead Homo Sapien

Nov 2, 1999
    Seat 12A
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    At this point O'Hara's chances of actually playing in Kansas City are pretty much nil. They've got Kevin Hartman in the #1 jersey and all indications are that the backup Eric Kronberg is ready to start challenging for playing time. MLS squads tend to carry three keepers on their 28 man roster.