An Unauthorized Unofficial Buck Shaw Construction Update

Discussion in 'San Jose Earthquakes' started by FUAEG, Dec 23, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. FUAEG

FUAEG Member+

Oct 18, 2005
    San Jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Saturday 12/22
    Made a quick tour of BS today. Surprised to see work crew setting a curb around the practice field. The practice field has been scrapped of sod and a work crew was finishing what appeared to be the fieldturf curb around the Leavey and Garage sides of the practice field.

The scrapped practice field was as shown in the rendering but with the the sod scrapped all the way to the "existing road" next to the parking garage. It also looked like the edge of the practice field would almost touched the base of the existing scoreboard. Also pretty consistent with the rendering.

[​IMG]

Progress! It was pretty cool.

I didn't see where any activity had taken place within the stadium itself other than I think they removed a couple of small sheds at the front entrance. The stands haven't changed and the section 107 corner hasn't been modified yet.

As a side note I walked through the VIP Pre-function Area and it's a beautiful spot - An Alumni memorial picnic area with a BBQ pit, picnic tables in a very pretty grove a trees with a view into the stadium. If the supporters groups can snag that as the "inside-tailgate" area they'll be in great shape - especially if Beerking can bring his kegs.

A missed opportunity for another similar picnic grove/concession area is just outside the perimeter fence north of section 108. Big space surrounded by trees and hidden from the road by a grassy berm. Could be very nice. With concessions there and a stairway
    to the top 107 you would pull a lot of traffic off of the front walkway.

2. Beerking

Beerking Member+

Nov 14, 2000
    Humboldt County
    I want to bring frosty cold delicious kegs, i really do. Make this happen Quakes front office!

3. athletics68

athletics68 Member+

Dec 12, 2006
    San Diego & San Jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'll add it to my request list for my next email.

4. tonyh01

tonyh01 Member

Nov 9, 2003
    San Jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    My hope is that they will open this area at leat 3 hours before kick off. Part of the fun at Quakes games is hanging out before the match for some good food and drink with fellow fans and not feeling rushed to down it all and get to your seats.

You could even offer a special "tailgate party pass" for season ticket holders. This pass would get you into the tailgate area 3 hours before the match and would include food and drink. Others would be able to purchase a single game "tailgate party pass" if they didn't want to purchase a full season pass.

Then again, some of you might drink the franchsie into bankruptcy. :D

It would be cool of Beerking could bring his beer. If not, we could get beer from Faultline Brewing Company (http://www.faultlinebrewing.com/). Maybe we could even entice them to brew a special Earthquakes brew for the season.

5. athletics68

athletics68 Member+

Dec 12, 2006
    San Diego & San Jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Mmmmm Earthquake Ale.

6. Earthshaker

Earthshaker BigSoccer Supporter

Sep 12, 2005
    The hills above town
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Earthquake Pale Ale.....Mmmmmmier.:D

7. Albany58

Albany58 Member+

Sep 14, 1999
    Concord, CA USA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Question about Buck Shaw stadium: Is that where SCU holds its commencement exercises? The Google Earth that I have shows a layout that looks definitely like it's set up for either graduation or some other ceremony.

8. sjquakesfan81

sjquakesfan81 New Member

Oct 1, 2005
    Boston, MA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yes, Buck Shaw is where commencement is held.

9. IrishQuake

IrishQuake New Member

Nov 17, 2003
    Alameda, CA, USA
    Richter scale, earthquake ale :D

10. The Scenester

The Scenester New Member

Dec 27, 2007
    The Scenester thinks the Eathquakes are the coolest MLS team even though, sadly, the Scenester does not live in San Jose.:cool:

11. Hyuuga Neji

Hyuuga Neji Member

Nov 20, 2007
    The Bay Area
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Umm, alright...

12. The Scenester

The Scenester New Member

Dec 27, 2007
    The Scenester has an Eye for The Cool. San Jose has The Cool.:cool:

13. krudmonk

krudmonk Member+

Mar 7, 2007
    S.J. Sonora
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Not many scenesters do.

14. Earthshaker

Earthshaker BigSoccer Supporter

Sep 12, 2005
    The hills above town
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Hi Lew, welcome to BigSoccer!

15. futbol monkey

futbol monkey Member

Dec 12, 2007
    Santa Clara
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    Earthquake Pale Ale after Quakes winning the MLS Cup.....down right ambrosia at that point!!!!

16. austinwetherby

austinwetherby New Member

Dec 22, 2007
    New York City
    Club:
    Pachuca CF
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I feel bad for you earthquake fans that they put you in such a crappy venue. Its terrible. its not even a professional feel. buck shaw stadium is to small. i hope your stadium plans go quick and fast

17. Hyuuga Neji

Hyuuga Neji Member

Nov 20, 2007
    The Bay Area
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I feel bad for your English teacher.

18. sj_oldtimer

sj_oldtimer Member

Nov 18, 2005
    Clovis CA

As has already been posted, one's credibility is affected by one's grammar (something that I used to believe was BS.....however, even though my grammar is still not perfect, I do know that it is important). In this case though, your post also falls short in it's assumptions. It's not like the Quakes are the first MLS team to play in similar circumstances, nor will they be the only MLS team to do it for the next few seasons.

Beyond this context is also the fact that the improvements being planned will make the facility a fun venue. As with many things in life, size is generally not all that important. In fact, my guess is that Buck Shaw Stadium will have an environment that will be electric. While I am very anxious for a new stadium, I am looking forward to the upcoming seasons at Buck Shaw Stadium. It will be loud, intense and one hell of a lot of fun.

19. austinwetherby

austinwetherby New Member

Dec 22, 2007
    New York City
    Club:
    Pachuca CF
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    my english teacher, lol that was like a 7th grade comeback, good one, anyways i was wishing you luck on your new stadium, but you can take it how you like.

20. Hyuuga Neji

Hyuuga Neji Member

Nov 20, 2007
    The Bay Area
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    7th grade, like the grade you're in right now? Pwned

21. markmcf8

markmcf8 Member+

Oct 18, 1999
    Vancouver, WA, USA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Who are we to argue that?!

And welcome to our humble forum.

GO QUAKES!!! :D

- Mark

22. Bajoro

Bajoro Member+

Sep 10, 2000
    The Inland Empire
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I predict the game-day experience at Buck Shaw will be one of the best in the league.

23. smpfi65

smpfi65 New Member

Jun 18, 2004
    BySoLeDaDsTaTePriSoN
    I don't feel bad at all dude & on the contrary I thank God for blessing us with our franchise which will start playing in less than 4 months. The stadium deal I can live with that, its no big deal I rather have them play somewhere no matter how small or how big of a stadium it is (look at Giants Stadium & Kansas City) than not playing at all :cool:

24. The Scenester

The Scenester New Member

Dec 27, 2007
    Maybe the Scenester will cath a Quakes game in his spare time when not going to thrift stores to buy vintage jackets.:cool:

25. IBleedTeal

IBleedTeal Member+

Jun 2, 2001
    Yves Fiat
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    How lame are you?