Chicago Magic vs. Sockers FC Chicago Part IV

Discussion in 'Youth & HS Soccer' started by JMPN Dad, Dec 22, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. tiptop

tiptop New Member

Nov 23, 2009
    Club:
    Paris Saint Germain FC
    As this is the Magic V Sockers forum and we know all about sockers and the great program they run and who runs it I have a questions about the Magic.

They are not the Magic of old with great soccer people involved as the club was sold and new people came involved. Who are they? AS the soccer people I know have no idea and tell me they bought the name. That means crap in my world who are the new Magic?

Who is involved with the Magic and what are their qualifications?

RDA runs academy and we know his qualifications former player and us staff member who is a real soccer guy?

who else is involved? who owns them? what is his/herbackground soccer? who are the coaches what are their backgrounds? Who administors the club as it is not MM, JH or SF anymore so who are the Magic?

Bato ? Indoor Soccer Player? what is his qualifications?
    Bailey? C or D license and no playing background that i can find online
    NP - A license good coach from Kentucky? Best Magic have
    OA - Run every program he has been involved with into the ground had NO success at storm and rampage and everyone i know says he is a disaster>

Who else is involved what is their philosophy as they move forward and which soccer people are involved?

This is your forum what are the answers?

2. Dalglish

Dalglish Member

Sep 26, 2005
    I'm afraid that your post make me suspect that you are just a troll.

The answers to most of the questions you ask are available by doing a simple google search.

If you an not able to do an online search, you could still find the answers to your questions by making one or two phone calls. (If you are a clueless AYSO dad I could see that you might be serious in asking your questions).

Can you tell me who the previous Magic owner was and what their soccer background was? If not, then I know you are just trying to cause trouble.

I am not sure that one must be a former pro in order to be agood owner. In fact, I'm not sure you have to be a former stud player in order to be a great coach. (See Sir Alex Ferguson and Man Utd).

3. y.o.n.k.o

y.o.n.k.o Member

Jan 12, 2010
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    At least Sir Alex Ferguson played soccer at a decent level before stepping into coaching. Plus, coaching and owning youth soccer club with reputation are two different things. Although one doesn't have to have been a former stud player in order to be a great/good coach, it surely helps.

The new Magic owner is just a businessman with very deep pockets, who hires coaches he thinks will run his club well. Will they? I doubt it. Time will show I guess. :rolleyes:

4. gopherbroke

gopherbroke New Member

Nov 6, 2008
    Is it true that this 'deep-pockets' owner has kids in the club? I guess I have to wonder what would happen if he gets ticked off about something having to do with his kids - would the gravy train derail?

If he doesn't have any kids involved with the club, then it's a moot point/question of course.

5. Dalglish

Dalglish Member

Sep 26, 2005
    Sir Alex mostly bounced around the lower levels of Scottish soccer. Worked at the shipyards and ran a pub while he played. Not exactly a stunning CV as a player. The Special One played virtually no pro soccer. The Magic happen the have a great former pro running their Acad teams.

But I for one, dont think you need to be a great pro player in order to be a great youth coach. Both the Fire and Sockers have some very good coaches who were not great pro players (or who only played at low levels).

The Fire are backed by some very deep pockets. I think that is good thing not a bad thing. They have added great new facilities with more to come and that is great for youth soccer. They cover almost all of their acad player expenses. They are helping to move youth soccer forwards.

The new Magic owner has taken a ruined golf bubble and transformed it into a 1st class indoor soccer center. He has hired a great coach to run the Magic Acad. Word has it he is adding another top level guy. The Magic Acad charged nothing for training or travel to league games. Flights to CO, KC, vans, busses, hotels etc are all paid for. Again, great for youth soccer. That the guy has some young kids who play is of no consequence.

Ideally, every youth team would be backed by lots of money.

Unlike some others, I hope all 3 of the area Acads do well and help to develop players. I have good friends at all 3 Acads and was in touch with them today. I think all 3 acads are helping to move youth soccer forward and kids have 3 great choices.

There are 5+ mil people in the Greater Chicago area and there is plenty of room for all 3 Acads. Heck, there is room for a 4th Acad in Chicago or to cover the far west or the Rockford to Madison area.

I just don't get the venom on these boards sometimes.

The Fire and Sockers Acad 16s will play each other twice next week. The results will probably determine who wins the league. The Sockers look like they are in the playoffs after another win today. The Fire might need a few more wins. 2 ties against the Sockers might not be enough. Should be good games to watch.

6. gopherbroke

gopherbroke New Member

Nov 6, 2008
    I have to disagree. It is unfortunate, but I believe that most people's interests run to "self" first and the "greater good" a far second. So the fact that the Magic owner has kids who play would be a large consequence - unless he is a true philanthropist and will continue to financially support the whole organization, no matter what happens with his kids.

I was only seeking an answer for something I had heard (got that, obviously) so I can make more informed decisions. It was not intended to be venomous.

7. Twenty26Six

Twenty26Six Feeling Sheepish...

Jan 2, 2004
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States