"State of the Club" with Jeff Plush

Discussion in 'Colorado Rapids' started by Rapids Front Office, Nov 20, 2007.

1. Hello all,

just a heads up, ColoradoRapids.com has conducted an in-depth Q&A session with the club's Managing Director, Jeff Plush, an effective platform for him to discuss the state of the Rapids club at this point in the year.

In it, Jeff discusses the positives and negatives from this year, goes on record about the club's coaching situation, and much more.

Even though this "State of the Club" will be promoted as "exclusive" to ColoradoRapids.com, we are giving it to Class VI to post on their website first before it can be seen anywhere else, http://www.nofanalone.com/

You'll see it there in the next 10 minutes.

thanks

Rapids Front Office

2. Jimmydinho

Jimmydinho Member+

Jul 6, 2007
    Denver, CO, USA
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    “Fernando will be back for 2008. He has one more year left in his contract. We know that it is a controversial decision and that some people don’t agree with it at all.

GAG

3. GoRapids

GoRapids Member

Sep 1, 1999
    Boulder CO
    I do not know this for fact - but from the SOTR (State of the Rapids) - I think they are going to bring Borchers back!

4. RapidStorm

RapidStorm Member+

Jan 30, 2005
    Denver, CO
    For the most part, he said all the right things. Granted, it would have been a hell of a lot better if it didn't take over a month for them after the RSL loss to come up with these calculated responses, but at least he realizes all of the promises he makes here mean nothing if the team doesn't turn it around.

The only issue is, for every promise he makes, his actions with keeping Clavijo and his apparent happiness with the Western Conference finals two years in a row seems to speak a completely different message. If we go into the next season with just a different shade of Revlon on the same pig, I hope he has his resignation papers prepared.

5. manowarfan1

manowarfan1 New Member

Jul 30, 2004
    Colorado, USA
    Well I am happy that the RFO have gotten around to doing this, granted the timing may have been a little better had it been done sooner, but they did get around to doing it. here are some honest answers here, nothing that we wouldn't expect them to say but good to know that they realize that some of these thing.

Could the Rapids win with the current coaching staff? yeah, maybe. We scraped into the playoffs and got past Dallas a couple of times to get to the Conference Finals. One difference from this team and those - personnel. We have turned almost the entire roster over - we have no stability, no continuity. From an outside perspective (and this could be 100% wrong) it appears that there is a morale problem - that players can find their way into a doghouse from which there is no return. To me - if that is indeed the case - it would explain players not wanting to be "here" - and the difficulty we seem to have in attracting players here (which honestly should not be a problem at all). These things can't (in my opinion) change as long as the coaching personnel remains the same - a tiger doesn't change his stripes. I don't think anyone who has ever met FC has a bad thing to say about him on a personal level - but they seem to disagree vociferously with his decisions - no biggie, that happens everywhere right? It would seem that players who have managed to leave Colorado drop a lot of hints about the way things are - could be sour grapes. I dunno, if it looks like a duck, quacks like a duck and walks like a duck...

I think some of the bugs from opening and running their own facility will be ironed out going forward - so I have no problem with most of the things that I noticed this year. I do hope that they will do more for the supporters groups in the future and allow for more festive atmosphere - created by the hard core fans - that can be picked up on by the casual fans.

Unfortunately for me - as a Rapids fan, I don't see the tings that Houston & New England have (continuity) here. How can there be - with personnel changes happening so erratically and massively. Now, Coach may say that there is no need for further personnel moves because he has the team he wants - but I recall hearing that last year as well. I DO NOT believe that the roster we have right now is capable of competing for a Cup, or a Supporters Shield. I like a lot of the pieces in place - but a lot of the personnel moves are still baffling to me. I think this instability, and the coach's lame duck status will also prevent the signing of a DP. One, who wants to walk into a situation like this, with expectations of "fit in but be our money generating savior", we don't want to get locked into someone that is viewed as a great DP by a coach, and then is still under contract if someone else takes over in a year. And I think some of the personnel decisions that have been made would probably discourage the Front Office from green lighting any big potential signings desired by our current regime.

Since there doesn't seem to be an immediate future - it'd be nice if we could play (and PAY) the young guys, prune the dead wood - and hopefully in a year or two we can have a good, young, experienced core of players who are in their best positions.

Sad to say, it's not enough to make me reconsider my season tickets at present, although I will continue to root for the team. I will try to attend a game or two next year - possibly more if the entertaining & attacking brand of football, atmosphere etc were to develop, but it just seems to me that is asking someone to change their entire philosophy - and it's not very likely to be successful just because "this is your last chance, and we really, really mean it this time". I admire KSE for wanting to honor contracts that they have signed - it is admirable in this day & age, and a good way to do business. I think that could be satisfied by "buying out" the remainder of the contract as well. It isn't like anyone was suggesting violating a contract or anything, just advocating for positive change. I hope there is some, I really do. When I see indications that things are actually going in that direction I may reevaluate my entertainment dollars. I know that last night I sat in seats in the 100 level of Invesco Field for Monday Night Football, the tickets were $70 face - and I got every penny's worth. Air Force tickets are cheaper than Rapids (not to mention about 90 miles closer each way and a lot less weekday games) but I REALLY want to be a Rapids season ticket holder. I want to be part of a fun, expanding group of supporters who have a great time at the matches and have a blast at any kind of get together.
    I hope the day comes soon, I wish I could be optimistic about next year (being as I am generally optimistic about everything) but I can't. Maybe as we get closer to the start of the season. I just get tired of doing the same old thing over & over and expecting the results to be different.

Good job getting answers to some of those questions though - it was a good read.

Jeff

6. deron

deron New Member

Jul 25, 2006
    Centennial, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm glad he did this, and I appreciate it. Of course I have a different view of a view things.

Kroenke honoring the contract: I can appreciate that. Where the team missed was in giving Clavijo the additional year. If you had asked me at the time they did that if it were the right thing to do. I'd have said it was 50/50 call.

The Talent: I disagree with Plush. We don't have it. Where we have talent we don't have athleticism. Where we have athleticism we're short on talent.

Plush's involvement in player decisions: Who do we have that doesn't want to be here? Who did we trade based upon talent? I don't know who doesn't want to be here, but I'll be happy to see the back of whoever doesn't wish to be here. I'm not sure who we traded because of technical skill. I agree that character and integrity matter - Wasson, Borchers, Beckerman, find a way to keep those guys.

Final thought for Mr. Plush.
    Disagreeing with Clavijo is not the same as not wanting to be here. That can't be the measure. We've said goodbye to two players with reputations for not getting along with coaches - Mathis and Cunningham. We've said goodbye to too many more that put in an honest days work each time they were on the field - Cannon, Kotschau, Borchers, Hunter, Wasson, Beckerman, Nkong, Dedi. One expectation is that the coach learn how to manage relationships to better the team. The players will disagree with the coach from time to time, the coach will disagree with Plush from time to time, the fans will disagree from time to time, Bigsoccer folks will disagree all the time... whatever the case the team should find a way to keep players and manage relationships rather than lose the ones we've lost.

7. SoccaJ

SoccaJ Member

Colorado Rapids
    Jun 25, 2007
    Firestone, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I find it a little enlightening the political twists he puts on things.

- Honoring Clavijo's contract simply because it was written for four years? Are you freakin kidding me???? If I gave the kind of job performance Clavijo has over the past 3 years no chance I would still be employed. This decision wreaks of "cash flow" problems.

- Furthering the "cash flow" theory - he is totally happy with our roster...are you serious??? This roster made little noise this year outside of having one of the worst winless streaks in history. I'm not going to rehash all the things we have all been saying all along but obviously we don't have the talent on the pitch to keep up with the competition. What scares me most is that as time passes and this league grows the disparity between the best teams and us will only grow larger. Ick.

The meat of the deal is I see no reason why I should offer financial support to an organization that acts like this. So, I just wrote my ticket rep and asked for my season ticket deposit back.

Josh Vaisman

8. GoRapids

GoRapids Member

Sep 1, 1999
    Boulder CO
    Not disagreeing one ounce - but with your post - I don't think it's the RFO's fault for Mathis leaving - he's moved annually to a new team since he's been back.

And I'm guessing Borchers wanted to leave for Europe - not because the RFO.
    Same with Dedi - war broke out in his country - nothing to do with RFO.

Nitpicky - I agree with you 100% - just needs pointing out I think (?)

9. GoRapids

GoRapids Member

Sep 1, 1999
    Boulder CO
    Oh and to ward off the forseable - it IS the Rapids fault for aquiring Mathis in the first place.

10. thinice

thinice New Member

Feb 5, 2007
    well I hope that Plush makes FC's life miserable for all of next year.
    I still wont be making my way to any games next year, UNLESS I see
    an improvement. Not just on the field but with the choices "our" coach makes, roster, etc.
    I think we have some talented kids, but what the team really needs is some
    chemistry. When you change the team SO many damn times what do you expect?
    Look at the 2 teams that just played in the Cup. How long most of them have been together.
    Anyways, bleh.

11. Bonji

Bonji Moderator

Feb 4, 2003
    Denver, Colorado
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    While I appreciate his attempt to communicate with the fans, I can't swallow all that bull....

My thoughts here....

12. JasonMa

JasonMa Member+

Mar 20, 2000
    Arvada, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    What Bonji said. This was a bunch of BS, again show us through your actions, not your talk. Besides, the talk was crap at points. Our problem was our record against Dallas and Houston? What about the 8 points we dropped to FSL? What about the 2 points we dropped to TFC? I'm OK with us not always beating the now 2-time defending champions, but there's no way we should have left 10 points on the field against the worst two teams in MLS.

Yawn, more spin from the FO. Once they start doing something I'll respect them, not while they talk about doing something.

13. fortcollins

fortcollins Member+

St. Louis City SC
    Apr 12, 2006
    Fort Collins
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    At least Plush finally spoke.

“Fernando will be back for 2008. He has one more year left in his contract. We know that it is a controversial decision and that some people don’t agree with it at all. We respect everyone’s opinion on the subject, but at the end of the day Mr. Kroenke believes in honoring the contracts that we sign, and he believes in honoring his word."

And I don't believe in paying hard earned money for an inferior product.

"Clearly there is some work to do to recover some of our fan base that we may have lost with this decision. We will work diligently to do that and that work has already started."
    Scratch one 12-year Rapids fan with a block of 4 season tickets. I'm done.

"However, the reality is that this organization can win with this coaching staff and this current team."
    The reality is that the Rapids have never won with FC. He's a proven loser.

14. Michel_Platini

Mar 21, 2005
    points to Plush for addressing the fact the fans don't want Clavijo around.

Kroenke apparently is the one deserving of our bile.

What sports team that consideres itself to be a 'major' sports team would ever keep someone who is not performing just because they are 'under contract.' Every year there are coaches who failed in MLB, NBA, NFL, NHL, college basketball, etc where they are FIRED and the owners eat the money and pay out their 'severence contract'n or whatever.

This decision gives a whole new light to Clavijo's words about not feeling the pressure and not worrying about being fired--at the time, it seemed like something heroic: "Pressure? No this is not pressure, pressure is washing dishes in NYC not speaking the language trying to make it in professional soccer"

Now it just seems like "What, me worried about being fired? no way, I am under contract for another year and I know Kronke is too cheap to buy out my final year, so whay should I feel pressure.?"

The really messed up thing about this is that we are stuck for another year--and everybody knows it.

I don't know who is the bigger lame duck or which is worse: George Bush and his final year as the President, or Fernando Clavijo and his final year as the Rapids Coach

15. savelints8

savelints8 Member

Jun 5, 2007
    Jun 5, 2007
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Bullshit. What about Jeff Bzdelik?

16. area815

area815 Member

Jan 29, 2007
    Denver, CO
    Club:
    AC Siena
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So here it is, folks. Make 'em hurt in the wallet! Pull your tickets now! Let them know this isn't acceptable! Fight the tyrany!

I had my employer ready to buy a box (about $15K, I think) at the Dick and I'll be telling him not to bother.

17. jayd8888

jayd8888 Member+

Aug 22, 2006
    Denver CO
    Ha ha totally, why doesn't Jeff's scapegoat, (The Big K) honor the contrat and get a real coach at the same time? So what if he eats the 600 bucks a week plus use of grounds crew truck he's paying him. Sure beats the inmates taking over the assyulm when they realize their leader is a lame duck. This is M i c k e y M o u s e. An obvious money saving measure from an organization too busy studying the bttom line.

A business tip for he Rapids. A monkey can cut costs, we needs sales building, the fans deserve it.

Have fun at the games next year, I'll be back when you figure it out.

18. scaryice

scaryice Member

Jan 25, 2001
    It's obvious that the Rapids FO doesn't care about the fans, so you shouldn't care about them either. You're looking at a 2008 similar to the Fire and RSL this year; firing the coach midseason and pretty much guaranteeing a wasted year.

19. Ace7

Ace7 Member

May 1, 2006
    Thanks, I will.

You'll be back? Heh, you sound like Arnold.

When its 'figured out'? What, so you only sing when we're winning?

Reckon you, and some others, will 'be back' in here tomorrow telling us how you are leaving. Yet again. Kinda like the long goodbye.

In case I'm wrong, see ya. :D

20. Taylor FC

Taylor FC New Member

Oct 28, 2004
    Commerce City, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm sorry, this from a guy who fired Jeff Bzdelik (former coach of the Nuggets) 18 games into the 2004 season?!? An he had a MUCH better winning % than Clavijo.

WHAT A LOAD OF CRAP!

At least I know one thing for sure now..... I WILL NOT BE RENEWING MY SEASON TICKETS!!

21. chilistrider

chilistrider Together We Rise

May 9, 2002
    Thornton, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Honoring the contracts we sign? Then explain this one: Chris Carrieri.

22. superrapids

superrapids New Member

Aug 10, 2007
    Denver
    Wow, I have to say I am impressed with his answers I think some of the top comments a bit harsh, but expected. JP didn't have to do this. And he admitted the Rapids were the Crapids this year. We did not have focus and vision and charActer. Just like the Rapids "supporters" With that said what's for the future as a team and as fans? I'll admit it I was way over throwing my money at this team that really came across like they didn't care including the bumblings of the FO and the DICK's security. This has cushioned the blow and given me some faith.

I think this interview is very honest and heart felt, i only have reason to believe it's true. So as us fans go are we with them or against them? If you have given up please go, that's not saying the RFO are not above constructive feedback, it's saying if all you have is bile to spew then maybe this isn't the team for you and don't come back, because it ain't helping. Helpful suggestions will.

There is no I in TEAM, or EGO, which there seems to be a lot of around here and from what I can tell from some of the regular "supporters" I see at games it doesn't look like half of you have ever played sports ever let alone have made a trip to the gym in your lifetime and your acne hasn't dried up.
    Your diplomacy is as bad as your waistlines.

What can we do as fans to work with the Rapids and JP to make Dicks a fortress that no one wants to play in against us, and how do we attrack more like minded soccer fanatics that are out there in this town? I think JP should interview us and ask us where we failed as we are part of the problem.

JP can ask us "how come so few fans went to SLC with all the arrangments made that isn't offered to other fan groups?" Some on this board would probably answer with "the Bus and free tix weren't free enough" or "you didn't provide us with free streamers!" or "you were mean to me after I talked shit about you all year and now you hurt my feelings" or "you wont let us have flares and fireworks like those dickheads in Italy have" Thank god they wont let you have fireworks. Some of you come across as lame as you make JP and FC sound. Suck it up, if you have issues state them like an adult with real feedback the team needs to address what's on the customer's minds or don't ever show up again.

And I swear if I see any of you come back in a few years when we are in the MLS Cup I'll call yo fair weather clowns out.

So JP and the RFO what can we do to make the team better? What can we do to help you grow the hardcore supporters market of your team like the one's in Toronto and Houston? Is a summit in order? Let us know, those that go, piss off, those that dont lets get it on, and show the rest of the league we can hang with the best.

As far as a squad i think we have some really talented players that need to be used consistently in their best positions. I think the protected players we have we can most all agree are the ones most all of us would have picked. I think we should start looking at pulling up some reserve players. F the DP thing let's play as a team ala Houston, if FC is here for another season lets pull for him, it'll increase our chances of making it to the finals more then it will calling for his head over and over again no matter how questionble some of his moves were last year.

Myself as a fan would like to see:

a part of the stadium be a General admisson section for the party/tastfully vocal crowd ala the Rock Pile, great way to introduce new fans in a strategic age group and create atomophere that is sorely needed. LA has a general admission section, like at Invesco back in the day. Make sure you aren't selling tix to families in that section.

b Get some USA gear in the shop would you? It really is dumb not to. And I'm all in favor of getting rid of that stupid Mexico stuff.

c Maybe get the players to actually acknowledge the fans, especially the ones that have been paying their salaries over that last years. I don't want to shock you guys (the players) but 90% of you are just better then college ball and blessed to be in the position you are in. I have heard from A very ligit source that some of your egos are way out of line with reality. And after last years performance some of you nit wits put on last year the least you could have done is thanked the fans that actually showed up and stayed for that awful last game performance agains't our worst rivals.
    If some of you guys are such hot shots and so bad ass why am I making more money then half of you? Trust me it ain't a lot.
    d Encourage a more festive atomosphere, lighten up with security, they seemed so nice at first, and I know some ofthe fans were idiots and deserved to be thrown out, but it's only a small minority that thinks that's how they do it overseas, and they are morons. Lay off the rest that want to cheer and throw steamers and confetti they jsut want to help your team/buisness. This is soccer which is a totaly different fan culture then any AMerican sport, and a buisness differentiator in this congested sport and entertainment market. Get rid of that tool security guy with fruity balding pony tail. His mentlity is as bad as that god awful "hair" thing.

In closing to my long winded reply thanks JP for doing the Q and A, it was brave of you, let us know what the fans on this board can do to take this team to LA next November, because lets face it JP we are your biggest fans and apparently your worst enemies. As for you cranky "Hooligans" that will never be satisfied, you aint hooligans and never will be and if you are just blow hards don't ever show up again especially if we make it to the cup. When this team sucks so do we and when we are champions so are we.
    PEACE and lets hear from you Jeff or Rapids Front Office.

23. prk166

prk166 BigSoccer Supporter

Aug 8, 2000
    Med City
    The only thing they need to do to honor that contract is pay Clavijo. Absolutely no need to keep him as coach to honor that piece of paper.

SuperRapids --> What can be done? Fire Clavijo. You can't dismiss that as answer. The folks around here saying this have stood by their team over the years. Many of them have been around since day one in 96; or at least since they were old enough to make the choice. Being a Rapids fan to them has never involved being a fair weather because with the Rapids because it's been cold, pissy and rainy for almost all of those 12 years. Have you seen anyone actually say they're going to think thrice about spending money on the Rapids because they didn't win the Western Conference? Because they didn't win the MLS Cup? The bitching and moaning around here has been about a lot of things but I don't recall seeing anything that's doesn't amount to being a complaint about a lack of action in terms of honestly trying to be the best. There's an important difference between simply expecting the team to be doing things to try to be better and actually expecting the team to win it all.

As for making DSG Park a fortress, it would be nice. But I don't think that level of support is going to be around for awhile. And no matter how passionate the fans are, they can't make up for crap play on the field. It didn't work for Toronto this year. And 3 years of pretty good attendance in the bee hive state hasn't done it either. The cornerstone to that is having a good team. And until there is a change of direction from the front office, one that has them acting out on their claims of wanting to be the best, whatever the fans do in the stands is unlikely to change the outcome on the field.

24. jayd8888

jayd8888 Member+

Aug 22, 2006
    Denver CO
    #1) Don't be a jerk.
    #2) You are like a WAAAAY bigger fan than I ever will be.
    #3) I will not attend ANY games next year, I have a 100 plus mile drive, TV and Internet.Top that off with the ability to see when a business doesn't care about it customers.
    #4) Have Fun - really. :)

25. denver_mugwamp

denver_mugwamp New Member

Feb 9, 2003
    Denver, Colorado
    You seem to have some trouble with reading comprehension. There's a number of people who have noted that they will not buy tickets this year, myself incuded. You can't blame people for refusing to spend money for crap. However, most of us will continue to support the Rapids, watch the games on TV, and be back at the games when there's a product on the field worth spending money for.