Names, Logos and Stadiums [RULES]

Discussion in 'Seattle Sounders FC' started by koolkeith13, Nov 12, 2007.

1. koolkeith13

koolkeith13 Member

Jun 14, 2007
    Seattle
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    First off, I really appreciate everyone that is coming over to our forum right now. I really do. However, some folks are making it not as pleasant for others which consquently makes it not as fun for myself and other mods. So here's a couple simple rules to keep everyone on the right track.

1. If you're new here, welcome! Please look around a little bit before posting. Some of the things you might want to discuss already have a running thread that other folks are watching for replies. :)

2. If you want to talk about the name/logo of the team - There are two factions, those that want the name to be Sounders and those that want something else. The first lot will readily point out to you that Sounders is the longest running franchise name in American pro soccer and that it encompasses the entire region in Seattle. I would recommend having a counter-argument ready for those points if you want a new name. Also, if you're part of the pro-Sounders group please be open to other opinions. This discussion is opinion for now but will be rooted in fact very shortly.

3. If you want to talk about a potential SSS versus Qwest - please be respectful. Seattle voted for Qwest to be a soccer stadium as well, not just for the Hawks. A lot of people around this board are jaded with the constant badgering of Qwest - their bottom line is: give it a few games before you start in the with SSS talk. On the flipside a lot of folks like the smaller, more intimate confines of a SSS along with all the scheduling and other perks it offers. They want to see something like Memorial Stadium be rebuilt as an SSS (which would be a legal nightmare) or maybe even a new facility built out of Seattle proper.

Lastly, if you are not respectful I will not hesitate to give out proper infractions or cards. This is a public board which hosts any and all. Please re-read your post if you feel it is necessary.

Thank you and enjoy the Seattle forum!

2. falvo

falvo Member+

Mar 27, 2005
    San Jose & Florence
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Furst of all I can't understand why they aren't allowed to play next year. With a team already intact they are far ahead of the Quakes team which hasn't signed anyone yet or played any matches, for that matter.

Also, I don't know why the Seattle owners and/or the MLS won't allow the club to keep the name Seattle Sounders. Its an awesome name and it has history and tradition. Why not just let them use it? Is it becuase they are a fomrer USL franchise and the MLS refuses to deal with that league? It makes no sense! I hope you Seattle fans start a petition or something.

3. doktordan

doktordan New Member

Jan 23, 2007
    Oakland, CA
    This is an entirely new team, falvo, not the Sounders that play in USL-1.

4. bright

bright Member

Dec 28, 2000
    Central District
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    We'll see how the transition plays out. Our GM/owner, Adrian Hanauer, has been working with MLS to make it worth his while to field the USL-1 team next year, and bring in new recruits that he could potentially keep for the move to MLS. If it happens like that, it will be something we've never seen for MLS expansion teams.

When a team gets promoted in the Euro pro/rel leagues and overhauls their roster to compete at a higher level, do they change their name to commemorate the occasion?

- Paul

5. falvo

falvo Member+

Mar 27, 2005
    San Jose & Florence
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Still I can't imagine a team in Seattle that isn't named the Sounders. I mean there is history and tradition there and I just can't see another name and logo in that town.

6. BallackUSA13

BallackUSA13 New Member

Jan 16, 2005
    Margaretville, NY
    I wounder if they are waiting another year for Seatle to be in the league is because they are waiting for team #16 to get the go a head to have a team so we will have even teams in the league, and I a m ok with that. I know the people in the Seattle area arent, but hey it will all be worth the wait I bet.

7. web2002

web2002 New Member

Jan 18, 2007
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Former Seattle-ite. Now living in DC. Been a DC United Fan for the past 6 years. If new Seattle team not named Sounders, I'll remain a United Fan. It's hard to root against the Sounders; easy to root against, Emerald City FC or some other name.

8. rurik

rurik New Member

Feb 22, 2007
    Seattle
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Please, go to http://mlsinseattle.com/ and let them know what you think!
    (lower right corner)

9. thanatos80

thanatos80 New Member

Aug 12, 2005
    Burien, WA
  10. Ron86

Ron86 Member

Jun 7, 2007
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Just let the APPLE PEOPLE take care of the LOGO and the COLORS!!!! And iPod nigth is gonna be great for you guys!!!

11. thanatos80

thanatos80 New Member

Aug 12, 2005
    Burien, WA
    Bzzzz, wrong. Thanks for playing. Apple is in Silicon Valley. Around here it's Microsoft. Not to mention that one of the owners help found Microsoft.

12. web2002

web2002 New Member

Jan 18, 2007
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    I did, thanks. LONG LIVE ROGER DAVIES, CAPTAIN ALAN HUDSON, BRUCE RIOCH, PETER WARD, IAN BRIDGE, JIMMY GABRIEL, TOMMY HUTCHINSON, ALAN HINTON, JIMMY MACALISTER, MARK PETERSON, STEVE BUTTLE, JEFF STOCK!!!!!!!

13. SacUnitedSoccerBlog

SacUnitedSoccerBlog New Member

Sep 23, 2007
    Sacramento, CA
    So, I just want to say as a person from Sacramento, that I am so impressed with MLSinSeattle2009~! This city has responded so well to the MLS. 6500 season ticket deposits in one week and a day, that is amazing. I wonder who they have working for them. I work in a sales office in professional sports, and to be able to sell these in over a year in advance means they didn't even need to create urgency, it just happened because people in Seattle are so excited about the MLS and the Sounders/FC Seattle/whatever to compete in the league!

Hats off to Seattle and MLS.

And the NBA can go bleep themselves in someone's range rover with some Isaish Thomas, and David Stern. Sorry fellas, that league sucks. Take the Kings too, when you leave Seattle.

14. Crowley

Crowley New Member

May 12, 2007
    Edmonton,AB
    I am from Canada and therefore a Toronto FC supporter. I don't live in Toronto, I live in Edmonton,AB which is about 13-14 hours drive from Seattle. I am as excited as any Seattle fan as It will be easier for me too see TFC in action and I plan on making a few trips to The Qwest to see Canada's MLS Club.

Good luck Seattle.. You are already doing well with your 6,500 seasons in a week. I can't wait to rock Qwest and away support will be coming from TFC.

My suggestion for Team name whould be Seattle City. MLS is going with more traditonal club names and MLS has a United, a Dynamo, a Real, and simple FC's. Why not get a "City" (check Manchester City).

15. FijiUnited

FijiUnited Member+

Feb 21, 2007
    Orlando
    Club:
    Orlando City SC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    My idea is to call it the Association Football Club of Seattle or AFC Seattle. In passing, they could be referred to as the Sounders in the same way Arsenal is referred to as the Gunners.

16. Macsen

Macsen Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 5, 2007
    Orlando
    Club:
    Orlando City SC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The USL isn't going to like that. Unlike other nations, where there's one entity that controls all the pro levels, USL and MLS are completely separate entities. There is no way the USL is going to permit one of its teams to be moved as a unit to MLS. That's why promotion/relegation, at least as far as USL-1 and MLS is concerned, isn't possible.

What's most likely to happen is that the USL-1 Sounders will be moved elsewhere. The Seattle MLS may sign some of the bigger names (and my money is on the team being named the Seattle Sounders), but a wholesale team shift isn't happening.

17. thanatos80

thanatos80 New Member

Aug 12, 2005
    Burien, WA
    Yes, and no. There is a possibility of the USL side being moved, but MLS just put in place a rule that gives Seattle, and any future expansion owners jumping from USL, territorial rights to their USL roster players. And, as has been pointed out elsewhere on this forum, there are 6-8 players, who were on the '07 Sounders, that AH wanted to keep from losing to other MLS sides. That's about a third of an MLS roster, right there. I'd call that pretty significant. That number could go up. or down, depending on what happens in '08.

18. Macsen

Macsen Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 5, 2007
    Orlando
    Club:
    Orlando City SC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I did mention they may sign some of the bigger names. But no way the entire team moves up to the MLS team.

19. thanatos80

thanatos80 New Member

Aug 12, 2005
    Burien, WA
    No one has ever made that claim. The closest anyone has come was saying that by having the same GM, keeping the name, some of the players, and, possibly, the coach, it would be the closest thing to "promotion". And, potentially having a third of the roster carry over, we'd have less of a roster turnover than most Championship sides do, when the jump to the EPL.

20. BadLlama

BadLlama Member

Aug 13, 2005
    Gainesville
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The Seattle Longhorns!
    Office FC!
    Real Vista!
    MSN United!
    Halo Stadium!
    Outlook Field!

ok I'm done.........word :p

congrats on the team

21. hilmer

hilmer New Member

Oct 26, 2003
    Houston
    The you have to reboot me each time the coach decides to change tactical schemes FC.......Nah...take the FC of.

22. JacksonJazz#9

JacksonJazz#9 Member

Dec 12, 2000
    Grand Ledge, Mich
    Club:
    Plymouth Argyle FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    cant wait for the PC vs the Mac commerical, with the PC guy wearing a soccer uniform..

Mac - "what wrong PC?"

PC - "oh hi Mac, I cant get the name picked for our new soccer team"

Mac - "aint that a kick in the balls"

PC - "yeah it sure.. oh i get it, very funny Mac"

....cue ending music....

23. shirteesdotnet

Feb 13, 2007
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  24. koolkeith13

koolkeith13 Member

Jun 14, 2007
    Seattle
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    People are talking about it. It just hasn't been brought up here and looks to be mostly false.

25. yellowbismark

yellowbismark Member+

Nov 7, 2000
    San Diego, CA
    Club:
    Club Tijuana
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I hope that rumor is false. That name is truly awful.