Arena calling Angel out?

Discussion in 'New York Red Bulls' started by nathoue, Oct 29, 2007.

1. nathoue

nathoue New Member

Apr 7, 2007
    NY
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    What was that about?

2. nymetrobulls

nymetrobulls New Member

Feb 3, 2007
    nyc
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    What was what about??

3. hoboken16

hoboken16 Member

Jan 16, 2003
    Jersey City, NJ USA
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Arena said that Angel wasn't coming to the ball enough. I'm not sure I agree with that statement

4. bukie2k

bukie2k Member

Mar 28, 2002
    New Jersey
    If Arena was half the genius some think he is, he would realize the Revs have JPA's number and he would come up with a different game plan from the "pass it to Juan" one he has been using since May.

5. Ed-D

Ed-D Member

Spurs
    United States
    Jun 13, 2005
    NY
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    link?

6. Metrosuccess

Metrosuccess Member

Jan 6, 2000
    NJ
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Maybe we should try the "PC Richards/ John Doe should finish" lines...If either could have scored in their opportunities there would be no Angel comments. The guy was killing himself trying to get to balls in the air all game long. Angel was marked all game long and had no space whatsoever.

7. tigerfan

tigerfan New Member

Jul 21, 2005
    Yes and Angel said something to the effect of "When you play long ball, there's nothing to show for" Bruce is about to overplay his hand if he takes on Angel. He's so busy punishing players for innocuous remarks he's beginning to look paranoid. One guess as to who is more valuable to the team.

8. Woodrow

Woodrow Member+

Dec 7, 2001
    Brick City
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    When your best playmakers also happen to be your best strikers, something is wrong.

9. The Soccerwiz

The Soccerwiz New Member

Jun 8, 2007
    In the US&A
    Arena chose the wrong time to publicly call out Angel. Its true in the second half we mostly played long balls, Reyna didn't provide any service Vanderburgh and Richards didn't make any valuable cross from the wing. Hopefully litlle conflict has already been resolved.

10. walkingcity

walkingcity Member

May 17, 2007
    Boston, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    he should be concerned with his own decisions first, starting jozy on the left wing, isolates him from play often, and he just looks out of place, we need creative players in midfield, meaning Mathis over Reyna(he wasted most of our free kicks on saturday)

11. Devil500

Devil500 New Member

Mar 7, 2006
    Section 101
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Could this be a good thing? :D

Angel's gonna want blood *muwhahaah* :D :D

12. NYCfan

NYCfan New Member

Aug 25, 2006
    NYC, New York
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Or he could say "WTF was that about?" and oh ow wee my ankle all of a sudden hurts and damn my lower back is in serious pain from runnning on turf all season long and whoops i think i have a case of claudio " i'm arenas love child" reynas turf toe, and dont think i can start next match.

Or better yet he could just say "screw this the fat bastard thinks i loafed it , i'll show him loafing".

13. Gabriel_Ferrari_F50

May 3, 2007

To be honest, one DP made an impact last saturday, and it wasn't Angel. Reyna's first 60 minutes were the most important on the game by any player. I think Kova, Richards, and Doe need to improve their game from the last time. If you're thinking Mathis over Reyna (the way he played last sat) you must be on drugs. I think Reyna's gotta play, and in fact I think maybe Vide or Stammler should play behind him, because Kova wasn't doing enough, and Reyna ran himself out of gas going from box to box constantly. Kova was hanging onto the ball too long and losing it. I am actually thinking Woly over Doe might make sense. Doe is better, but Woly might combine better with Altidore in from the left and Angel up top. I don't think Angel played poorly, but he definitely didn't make the impact he should of. Richards was giving the ball away too. Especially

I would like to see something more like this:

-----Woly--Angel---
    Altidore---Reyna---Richards
    ------Vide/Stammler-------

With doe coming on as a late sub. Or even a 4-5-1 with Angel up top, and both vide and stammler behind Reyna. It's the similar to Stammler out wide and Alti up top, only you have Alti stay wide where he's better with attacking forward with the ball, and Stammler tucked in behind Reyna where he and Vide can help with taking the weight off of Reyna while helping stiffle out a NE attack that will be looking to take it to us this time. The only reason I think it's possibly is because it weighs heavy on the point forward and the two wingers, but we have three people capable of doing it.

Who knows about Arena calling out Angel. First, I haven't seen any link to an article or anything. But I know Arena was right about Beasley and Donovan in the World Cup. In fact outside of the Lewis at LB idea, which how I understand it was Mooch's idea, I've never seen him be far off with what he says or does.

14. metz

metz Member

Jan 17, 2003
    Be honest, angel, Richards, Josy and Doe missed some goals that my six year old grand kid will not miss...and Arena have a reason to be upset...

15. NYCfan

NYCfan New Member

Aug 25, 2006
    NYC, New York
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    When he calls out his golden boy reyna for having a craptacular season then i'll cut him some slack. Angel got jack for service last match and NE was able to shut us down because we played route 1 greg ryanesque ball. Last person that needs to be called out on this team is Angel.

16. Bigrose30

Bigrose30 Member+

Sep 11, 2004
    Jersey City, NJ
    This was blown way out of proportion by a certain member of the press. Arena didn't really say anything of consequence, let alone call anybody out.

And, no, I don't have a link for that.

17. Gabriel_Ferrari_F50

May 3, 2007
    Arena, nor any coach for that matter, calls people out for being injured. Which has been Reyna's problem.

Who gives a shit. You guys are such baby drama mamma losers. I hate fans that get all worked up about he said she said crap. First off, no one has confirmed that Arena or Angel even said anything. Second, why do you bring Reyna into this? Instead of obectively basing whether Arena was correct in saying what he said, you bring in your feelings on Reyna as some third variable that does not belong. Reyna plays a good game, a discussion comes up on two other people, and some how Reyna becomes the center of discussion and trashed.

Arena (most qualified coach easily in the MLS), brought in a maybe the best striker the league has ever seen. Secured a second DP slot through a sweet deal. Brought a young prodigy along very well. Creatively used VDB to solve the LB problem. Made a good deal to get Mathis for a cheaper price and got more out of him that others did in the last 3 years combined. Got Quaranta who could be a real good contributer next season (only 23), got Doe (22), Richards, and took has taken this team to the plalyoffs regardless of a how injury plagued the team has been. Not considering how big Schopp and Waterous failed this season (who were suppose to be big parts of the team). What about the bonus of increasing Altidore's chances of staying now that Arena got Angel to come?

The fact that we have a team with a legitamit shot at winning the Cup this year is amazing. The potential we have for next season is awsome, and is due in a large part to Arena as well. I don't know why you super fans think you're so much smarter than the Arena. I'm guessing you said this crap about Bradley too.

18. NYCfan

NYCfan New Member

Aug 25, 2006
    NYC, New York
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Says the reyna apologist.

Heres a , i think, link to the comments that were made by arena which lead to OPs thread
    http://sports.yahoo.com/mls/news;_y...YF?slug=ro-redbulls102707&prov=yhoo&type=lgns

19. Ed-D

Ed-D Member

Spurs
    United States
    Jun 13, 2005
    NY
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    OK that quote is taken out of context. Here is what Arena actually said:

"New England did a good job on them and Juan [Pablo Angel] didn't drop the ball. We told the team at halftime that we needed to drop more balls at the feet of our forwards. Juan could have done a better job making himself available as well as [Francis] Doe. Again, New England plays them tight and on a turf field, you have less time to pass under pressure. We didn't pass to the feet of our forwards or cross well to them. In the game tonight, there were plenty of crosses available and we didn't do a good job on those."

link:
    http://redbull.newyork.mlsnet.com/n...ent_id=126388&vkey=pr_rbn&fext=.jsp&team=t107

I wouldn't say that qualifies as calling JPA out, since he goes on to say that the people feeding Angel and Doe the ball were as much to blame as they were--as was New England's ueberdefensive formation. The Yahoo reporter is just trying to make something out of nothing. Journalists tend to do that.

20. GIO17

GIO17 Member

Nov 29, 1998
    To be fair to the Yahoo Journalist, he wasn't the one calling out Angel. I was in the locker room. It was an elder Englishman and if anyone wants to know his name Please PM me. But if you want a hint, he writes for World Soccer & Soccer America.

21. Ed-D

Ed-D Member

Spurs
    United States
    Jun 13, 2005
    NY
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The same guy who asked Arena in the press conference how he felt about this possibly being the last time we would be seeing him? (implying he would be fired if the team exited the playoffs next weekend). Did you catch that?

22. GIO17

GIO17 Member

Nov 29, 1998
    I heard him say that if they didn't win against the Revs this would be the last time we would see him. Meaning the last time at Giants Stadium this past Saturday. I never heard him say he was going to get fired. Sometimes he lowers his voice when he speaks. But implying it that way? I have to listen all the way to the end of that section of my recorder.

23. Ed-D

Ed-D Member

Spurs
    United States
    Jun 13, 2005
    NY
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I thought that's what he was implying, but you might be right. I think Arena took the question the way you interpreted it, if memory serves.

24. Bigrose30

Bigrose30 Member+

Sep 11, 2004
    Jersey City, NJ
    The yahoo journalist was definitely not the one inciting the comments from Arena or Angel, but he did run with it a bit on his column. It was the other reporter who made something out of nothing.

25. Ed-D

Ed-D Member

Spurs
    United States
    Jun 13, 2005
    NY
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    what reporter was that though? Do we have a link to that original story?