Marcus Watson to Leicester City

Discussion in 'Yanks Abroad' started by Dave Marino-Nachison, Oct 2, 2007.

1. Dave Marino-Nachison

Jun 9, 1999
    I'm told that Marcus Watson, a defender from California, has signed with the Foxes and is currently training with the club's reserves. A big (listed as 6' 1") 1989, he was part of a U-18 camp in early 2006.

I haven't been able to get confirmation from the club yet, but I'm getting this from his coach, Dan Metcalfe, who says Marcus expects to play in the 2008 Dallas Cup with LCFC.

2. Placid Casual

Placid Casual Member+

Apr 2, 2004
    Bentley's Roof
    Re: Marcus Watston to Leicester City

For what it's worth our Under 18's are the current champions of England.

If he is good enough he will certainly get a chance to play in the first team, we currently have a 17 year old starting and a couple of 20 year olds.

On the other hand our Mad Serb of an owner has been through 4 managers since he bought the club and our first team squad has about 40 players in it.

3. Dave Marino-Nachison

Jun 9, 1999
    Mods, would you mind please editing the title of this thread so the player's last name is spelled correctly? It is "Watson." Sorry, Marcus!

4. Dave Marino-Nachison

Jun 9, 1999
    Earlier this month, the club told me he was still on trial/training. However, there's some chatter on club fansites that indicates that he has British parents and perhaps has signed, or perhaps not.

Here's an example:
    http://talkingballs.co.uk/showthread.php?t=21098

5. Dave Marino-Nachison

Jun 9, 1999

Watson played against Spurs earlier this month, and is now with the City team playing in the Dallas Cup's Super Group. So, I guess he's really there now!

6. new_skin

new_skin Member

Aug 2, 2007
    Boston
    Club:
    VfB Stuttgart
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

So if he has British parents, then he must have been born in the USA? Any idea how much of his life has been spent in the US, or if he'd be open to a call-up of any kind? He'd be eligible for the 2009 U-20s by the sounds of it.

7. new_skin

new_skin Member

Aug 2, 2007
    Boston
    Club:
    VfB Stuttgart
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  8. SoccerNation

SoccerNation New Member

Jan 9, 2006

Marcus is a mixed race kid. He's half white and half african I believe.
    He actually started his youth club career with Santa Anita Soccer Club in Southern California. He was trained by Clint Greenwood who has trained the likes of Landon Donovan, Max Cream, Christain Jimenez and other professional players.
    He's from Rancho Cucamonga, California and was a standout youth player who played on many state and regional teams. Im almost certain he's never recieved a call up by any YNT at any level.
    Very good player.
    A little but on the arrogant side though...
    I wish him the best of luck.

9. Dave Marino-Nachison

Jun 9, 1999

As mentioned above, Watson was invited to a 2006 U-18 "mega-camp":

DEFENDERS (20): Bryan Arguez (Bradenton, Fla.), Sam Arthur (Roswell, Ga.), William Caston (Fort Worth, Texas), Andreas Chronis (Bayside, N.Y.), Johnathan Collier (Fayetteville, Ga.), Kyle Davies (Danville, Calif.), Greg Eckhardt (Orange Park, Fla.), Doug Ferner (Bloomfield Hills, Mich.), Blair Gavin (Scottsdale, Ariz.), Colin Givens (Troy, Mich.), Erik Johnsen (Seattle, Wash.), Cam Lamming (San Juan Capistrano, Calif.), Jeff Leach (Canaan, Conn.), Raphael Martinez (Portage, Ind.), Evan McNiel (Castic, Calif.), Andre Mittoo (Hollywood, Fla.), Ethan Morrow (Surrey, England), Daniel Rodriguez (Oxnard, Calif.), Anthony Wallace (St. Petersburg, Fla.), Marcus Watson (Rancho Cucamonga, Calif.); ​

Link:
    http://ussoccer.com/articles/viewArticle.jsp_280563.html

Some pretty good company there.

10. HighburyForever

HighburyForever Red Card

Oct 15, 2006
    Wooloomooloo, New South Wales
    Club:
    Zenit St Petersburg
    Nat'l Team:
    Russia

Good company where? I only recognize two names on that list - Arguez and Wallace from the U-20's. And Wallace wasn't even that good. :confused:

11. Dave Marino-Nachison

Jun 9, 1999

Well, I disagree with you about Wallace.

And I would add Davies (Southhampton) and Chronis (AEK) to the "good company" list.

Lamming, Eckhardt, Collier and Mittoo are also all very well-regarded young players.

You're certainly entitled to think otherwise.

12. dcpohl

dcpohl Member+

Feb 9, 2007
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  13. Napoli 10

Napoli 10 New Member

Mar 18, 2008
    Long Island, NY
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

He was on Rongens last u20 team(2007) and seemed to be a lock for the qualifying roster but suffered a long term injury at the pre-qualifying camp.

14. new_skin

new_skin Member

Aug 2, 2007
    Boston
    Club:
    VfB Stuttgart
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

City made the drop to League One today. Players are sure to be leaving. Think Watson will stay or go? He's 18 or 19 now, so it may not be a terrible idea to stay and cement a place in the first team if first-team opportunities are not available anywhere else.

15. arsenalfc08

arsenalfc08 Member

Mar 14, 2005

I think it will be good for him to stay. I think some players will leave so this may be a good opportunity for him to get into the first team. I don't think it would be a good judge of character to leave the club just because they were relegated since they did bring him over and all.

16. USvsIRELAND

USvsIRELAND Member+

Jul 19, 2004
    ATL

Is this guy confirmed being at Leicester yet?

He should stay. They will be back up soon.

17. arsenalfc08

arsenalfc08 Member

Mar 14, 2005

I looked around Leicester's site and couldn't find anything on Marcus. I'm going to try and keep looking. He wasn't listed in the team profiles and couldn't find anything from the reserve or academy pages.

18. Dave Marino-Nachison

Jun 9, 1999
    As mentioned earlier in this thread, Watson played with the club in Dallas Cup and also in other matches in the UK this spring. I am pretty sure he finished the season officially with Leicester City.

19. Placid Casual

Placid Casual Member+

Apr 2, 2004
    Bentley's Roof

You won't find many details on the academy team.

Apart from the Dallas Cup. the last game I can find him playing is Feb 23rd against Cardiff for the Academy. I don't recall him playing any games for the reserves.

The retained list should be out soon. Well, as soon as the Mad Serb decides who will be managing us for the first 3 months of next season. I believe Marcus would need to be offered a professional contract to stay - Given his age.

20. SoccerNation

SoccerNation New Member

Jan 9, 2006
  21. piperfc

piperfc New Member

May 18, 2007
    Twin Cities
    It's Watson at Hollywood United. First story on their home page is Watson has been called to u20 camp. Don't have any ideas who else it could possibly be.

22. piperfc

piperfc New Member

May 18, 2007
    Twin Cities
  23. Sandon Mibut

Sandon Mibut Member+

Feb 13, 2001
    Lately the Thunder seem more likely than most USL-1 teams to give younger (as in left college early or didn't go at all) players a shot.

Good to see.

24. m vann

m vann Moderator
    Staff Member

Colorado Rapids, Celtic FC, & Louisville City
    Sep 10, 2002
    Denver, CO
    Club:
    Celtic FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It is good to see. I'd like more younger players to explore the USL and vice versa. Especially with the elimination of the reserve division. Half of Minnesota's roster in a '84 or younger. I like to see that. I don't know much about Watson but have heard some favorable things about him. I hope he has a breakout season with Minnesota. 3-yr. contracts are not the norm in the USL so they must think highly of him.