FIFA 08 vs Pro Evolution Soccer 2008?

Discussion in 'Games' started by BerlinKopKid, Sep 25, 2007.

1. BerlinKopKid

BerlinKopKid New Member

Jun 9, 2007
    Berlin, Germany
    Hi Guys,

I don't know how many out there might be gamers, and I am also not sure if either of the two games are sold in the US (I imagine the US being a solid Madden territory), but it would interest me to know which of the two titles people prefer.

I am solidly Pro Evolution, which means I am condemned to an extra month in pergutory waiting for the release of the next-gen version. What about you guys?

I know that MLS is licensed and present on FIFA's title and entirely absent on Pro Evolution, but for me FIFA is showy and shallow, and within an hour you have figured out the basic and unalterable game pattern.

If either or both of the two are sold in the US is it a very different version from what we get in Europe and how does it hold up compared to the (I imagine) heavyweights over there, namely Madden and NBA? Is it hard to get (in shops)?

2. scaryice

scaryice Member

Jan 25, 2001
    PES is called Winning Eleven here, and it comes out in February even though it's the exact same game you get in the Fall. I think most of the hardcore fans here prefer PES/WE, although probably more people play FIFA on this site.

3. peledre

peledre Member

Mar 25, 2001
    Sioux Falls, SD
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This thread might be better suited for the gaming forum. I think you'll find more gamers there.

4. Boloni86

Boloni86 Member+

Jun 7, 2000
    Baltimore
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Gibraltar
    Winning 11 is a much better game, and I expect the new one to be a lot more polished than the '07.

The downside to Winning 11 last year was the copyrights. Only 2 premiership sides, no MLS, no USMNT, no Germany National team etc ... I'm hoping we have more club and country options this time around.

5. Soccerglue

Soccerglue Member

Jul 24, 2005
    Atlanta
    Club:
    Atlanta
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The latest Winning Eleven is called PES in the US now as well.

6. Taoism

Taoism Member

Apr 13, 2007
    Winnipeg, MB, Canada
    Hmmm, I would think that games like the Football Manager series would appeal most to the "hardcore" fan.

As for me, I can hardly wait for FM2008 to hit the shelves (SI Games says it will be out before Xmas).

Cheers!

7. ojsgillt

ojsgillt Member

Feb 27, 2001
    Lee's Summit MO
    I play both. I prefer FIFA. I like the career mode better. I like the game play better. I like the graphics better, not to mention the endless copyright agreements. The soundtrack is by far the best for games, year in and year out. The one thing I don't like about FIFA is the week goalies, even on the hardest level they still make dumb mistakes.

8. Nick Katz

Nick Katz New Member

Nov 22, 1999
    Boston
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Which does a better job with MLS?

9. ojsgillt

ojsgillt Member

Feb 27, 2001
    Lee's Summit MO
    fifa hands down

10. GutBomb

GutBomb Red Card

Aug 28, 2003
    Outside Boston
    FIFA because PES doesn't have MLS at all (unless you install a patch, and that's only for the PC)

11. ugaaccountant

ugaaccountant New Member

Oct 26, 2003
    For the original poster, the FIFA series sells surprisingly well here. I've seen people with almost no interest in soccer enjoy playing or even own those games. The transition from games like Madden or NCAA football to the soccer game is intuitive and general sports fans that just try the game it usually like it.

All of the sports games by EA generally get a good reception by the masses here. People always talk about PES being better but when you look at what's being played by your average gamer it's an EA game.

12. lawrenceterp

lawrenceterp Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 2, 2006
    Virginia
    I just pre-ordered FIFA 08. I can't wait. I really like having all the official teams and logos and players. It really makes the games for me.

13. Chicago1871

Chicago1871 Member

Apr 21, 2001
    Chicago
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Not MLS N&A material. Moved.

14. Felixx219

Felixx219 BigSoccer Supporter

Nov 8, 2004
    Kansas City, MO
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I prefer FIFA but that is only because I have only played Winning Eleven a couple of times.

Although people say that Winning Eleven has better gameplay, I dont like that they dont have licensing agreements and a manager mode. The franchise/manager mode is what I like about sports games. Without it, I probably would not play them.

15. ElDivino

ElDivino Member

Nov 11, 2004
    That is a downside. But personally i love the editing. The We editing is so precise that you can literally create any team,jersey,player,even league...so if you have the time, you dont have to bitch and moan about licenses and copyrights.

16. christian_b

christian_b New Member

Nov 16, 2006
    Houston
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I've played Winning Eleven 9 religiously since its release and it's pretty much the only game I play these days. I did buy PES2007 for 360 but the disc got ********ed up soon after and I decided against replacing it. With that in mind, I think I'm just going to be getting FIFA08 this year. The gameplay has been revamped, the manager mode is awesome, the tricks are fantastic and varied, and the new view is wonderful. My only problem with it (based on impressions from the demo) is that the game moves a little too slow. I don't see that being too much of a problem, though, since I figure you can change the game speed.

17. Teso Dos Bichos

Teso Dos Bichos Red Card

Sep 2, 2004
    Purged by RvN
    Is there any correlation between EA Sports fans preferring FIFA and 2K Sports fans preferring PES?

Back to the actual comparison between the games and I have detailed my thoughts on numerous other threads. FIFA for presentation and the new intuitive shooting system but PES for everything else. FIFA is simply too slow, with poor passing and poor AI. It's getting a lot better but not enough to shift me from PES.

18. russ99

russ99 Member

Feb 7, 2005
    Chi-town
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    None for me. I'm a EA gamer from way back (NHL 92) and I love PES. The gameplay is fabulous, but what really does it for me is the obscene editing ability. I just hope Konami doesn't limit that on the PS3 this year like they did n the 360 last year.

Still I play and enjoy FIFA too, just not as much as Pro Evo. Being able to play with the 2. Bundesliga and my favorite team 1860 München has a lot to do with that.

19. ugaaccountant

ugaaccountant New Member

Oct 26, 2003
    Personally I have no clue as i've never met anyone with PES/winning 11 vs. dozens of FIFA players.

20. JROWE

JROWE Member

May 29, 2007
    Overland Park
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Personally, I've never understood why people like PES more. It seems like most of the problems mentioned concerning FIFA haven't been true since somewhere between the 2002 and 2004 editions. I own 07 on 360 and scoring, passing, etc. have all been revamped. It works fantastic and they are expanding that for the new 08 version. There is no doubt that FIFA is better, be it licensing, graphics, or gameplay. The only thing FIFA typically lacked was WE/PES's on the ball skill moves, which have recently been added in the latest edition.

Also, you can't deny the awesomeness of all the leagues they are going to include in 08!

21. j.fisher

j.fisher So Much Better

May 3, 2007
    Winston Salem, NC
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I prefer FIFA. Both has aspects I like, both have aspects I despise. The gap between FIFA and PES is NOT as big as it used to be. And sure as hell not as big as some one here would lead you to believe. FIFA is just more polished product in my opinion.

22. harkes6

harkes6 Member

Apr 24, 2007
    san francisco
    Club:
    West Ham United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    i love fifa and 2k and hate madden...pes is simply too realistic. if i wanted to try that hard playing soccer, i'd put on my cleats and go outside and kick the ball around. i think the fifa series has improved leaps and bounds over the years (i started playing a lot in 2002) 2007 was the best title to date and all signs points towards 2008 being even better. i find the gameplay pretty varied and rewarding. it's a beautiful balance between realism and the virtual.

23. The_ChelseaSupporter

Mar 25, 2007
    Olympia, WA
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well one positive is that, as FIFA and PES compete over the years for mainly the same pool of 'people' ;), we win.

24. Microwave

Microwave New Member

Sep 22, 1999

yes, there is a correlation in my opinion. You're in Europe so you probably don't care about the NBA but NBA 2k completely and utterly blows away EA'S Nba game. NBA 2k is just like Pro Evo for basketball and EA's NBA Live is just like FIFA.

I want to like FIFA. I wish I did. But every year I buy it and I am disappointed. PES is far more realistic.

And I don't get why people are so hung up on licenses? PES has the full license for most of the SerieA, the LA Liga, French League, Dutch League and a couple of English and Scottish premiership clubs. That isn't exactly shabby having licenses for about 50 clubs. And the ones they don't have it's pretty easy to make.

25. ojsgillt

ojsgillt Member

Feb 27, 2001
    Lee's Summit MO
    exactly. Each year PES does something new and original, the next year FIFA identifies it and puts a better version of it out there. The gap is near to nothing.

I am a long time player of soccer video games. The first one I bought was FIFA64, the one where you moved the joystick and the crowd booed, top triangle was the red-card button, and the two-man wall in front of goal kicks reigned superme.

I picked up winning 11 around #4 or so. Big difference. There was so much more to it. Not so much anymore. So much that last year was the first I didn't buy PSE.

As suggested by someone about PSE they took the time to edit all the clubs, I did that but only with players. First I finished a career, 15 seasons. I needed a new challenge (and probably a life at that point :D) Since you can move players around search by rank I took the best players and gave them to teams in the EPL(and made their line-ups), and the big clubs in the other leauges (had to think about Champions leauge). It was pretty damn tough season, when every team is a Chelsea, Man U, Arsenal, or Liverpool.

Two other things that haven't been discussed yet is the sound, and going on-line. The soundtrack to FIFA is awesome everytime. Several songs a year go mainstream after being on it. The In-game sound from the crowds are real recordings of supporters, and team specific.

Going online, even during offline play is pretty damn cool too. Having real life scores and news being scrollling on a ticker during your career mode is pretty cool concept.