Classless Toronto FC Fans

Discussion in 'New York Red Bulls' started by MetroFever, Aug 12, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MetroFever

MetroFever Member+

Jun 3, 2001
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    Croatia
    Just got back from the game.

I'd say about 12-15 of their fans were ejected by security and made to leave the Stadium for their conduct, mostly for throwing beer bottles.

They started off being really enthusiastic in the 1st half especially with some witty cheers. In the second half, it was apparent that a lot of these guys were smashed and bored since Toronto just plain stunk.

One beer bottle was thrown at a Red Bull fan but almost hit a family in Section 129 instead (and then people wonder why the caps have to come off bottles?). Admittedly, it didn't help when four guys moved seats closer to their side (none wearing Red Bull gear, but also looking smashed) came over to cause trouble and trade insults with them. Security came down and all four got thrown out in addition to some Toronto fans.

After Altidore's goal, a beer bottle just missed him and another few more went flying his way with a few more fans being ejected after this. On TV, their fans look supportive, but the one's that made the trip today to NJ simply embarrassed their team and fan club with their conduct.

2. oOoOo

oOoOo New Member

Aug 8, 2007
    I saw that too, completely disgraceful. Typical TFC fans, the self proclaimed greatest fans in the world, constantly patting themselves on their back. Really nauseating and revolting.

They go into some one elses stadium and act like garbage. We all know how cool they think it is throwing objects on the pitch and at players, but don't bring that shit into someone elses park and think you can get away with it.

I truly hope the ********ers who threw stuff were arrested, they should be charged with assault or something, not just thrown out.

TFC fans will never show any class, even their own captain went over and berated them. What a bunch of dirtbags.

3. Metrosuccess

Metrosuccess Member

Jan 6, 2000
    NJ
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yeah, I was real dissapointed in seeing how they acted. It's OK to be enthusiastic but obviously a few bad apples in their group have now classified Toronto FC supports group as classless. Hope we don't act the same way on the road so we can continue to point out nitwits like these guys. I was in 131 and saw some real a holes to my right from Toronto.

4. nymetrobulls

nymetrobulls New Member

Feb 3, 2007
    nyc
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    12-15 were ejected? I was in 105 so the only incident I really saw was the bottle throwing after Altidore's goal.

5. usbfc

usbfc New Member

Sep 8, 2000
    New York City
    TFC fans are saying it was water bottles. I actually don't recall Giants Stadium selling beer in bottle.

Opinions?

6. Devil500

Devil500 New Member

Mar 7, 2006
    Section 101
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I saw from 101 about 3 or so before the bottle crap and then about another 10 after the goal..We'll find out soon enough.

7. nymetrobulls

nymetrobulls New Member

Feb 3, 2007
    nyc
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I could barely hear them, so they didn't really grab my attention during the game.:p

8. Onionsack

Onionsack BigSoccer Yellow Card

Jul 21, 2003
    New York City
    Club:
    FC Girondins de Bordeaux
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well lets not paint them all with the same brush. I had 10 or so TFC guys come up to me and shake hands and a couple came down to 101 to say good things about ESC's support. So not all of them were douchebags.

How about when ESC and the Red Patch Boys met up right outside Gate B after the game and went back and forth with each other for 10 minutes. Suprisingly nothing major happened, for once security did their jobs...about 20 of them stood between the two groups and only a few minor things happened.

Now if that had been ESC and Barra Brava.....it would have been ugly.

9. Onionsack

Onionsack BigSoccer Yellow Card

Jul 21, 2003
    New York City
    Club:
    FC Girondins de Bordeaux
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    They sell em in plastic bottles and one of them trown was a brown plastic beer bottle...kind half full too. I never get why people toss away $8 beers. Thats just dumb.

10. ckyak

ckyak Member

Apr 24, 2007
    Kearny NJ
    i just wrote this in the toronto forum

Whats up neighbors to the north,
    just letting you know that the fans that made the long trip to NJ for the red bulls game were some of the worst fans that i have ever sat next to for any sporting event. they were throwing batteries and beers at people, flipping off other fans and using foul language, even after they were all warned that they were in a family area of the stadium. now im not a prude or anything and i love to get rowdy at a game but they took it to a disgusting level. they could obviously see that there were small children and women in the area that they sat and continued to be drunken buffoons. im just sorry that some of these people represent your fan base. it was seriously one of the more disgusting things i ever saw tonight. i would think adults and just fans in general would try to show maturity especially when visiting an opponents stadium.
    sorry for my rant but it seriously had to be said
    chris

that beer bottle actually hit a small kid right in front of me
    and when the four idiots got kicked out one toronto fan threw a battery and just missed me and my wife
    they were seriously horrible people to sit near

11. Sinter

Sinter New Member

Oct 12, 2003
    New York City, U.S.A
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Exactly. I believe 2 came over to 101 to congratulate us and applaud us for the support. Let's not throw them all through the dirt for a few dumb fans. Every group will have their fair share.

12. Dyvel

Dyvel Member+

Jul 24, 1999
    The dog end of a day gone by
    Club:
    Leeds United AFC
    Nat'l Team:
    Ireland Republic
    Mountains out of molehills, settle down people.

13. Devil500

Devil500 New Member

Mar 7, 2006
    Section 101
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Indeed :)

14. Thomas A Fina

Thomas A Fina Member

Mar 29, 1999
    Hell
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I had no problems with their fans before or after the game.

As for throwing stuff at Jozy - well, when you raise your finger in a sushing gesture, you might want to have an umbrella along. It's not the first time either.

But throwing stuff at kids and what have you? Over the line

15. ckyak

ckyak Member

Apr 24, 2007
    Kearny NJ

ill write what i wrote in the toronto forum if they good guys had any sense they would have a talk with the bad apples and if not they are just as bad for ignoring and allowing them to act that way as they would if they were the ones doing it

16. Optimizer

Optimizer New Member

May 14, 2007
    Edison, NJ
    It doesn't matter, throwing things onto any field (grass, ice, turf, etc.) at a player is intolerable.

It doesn't matter what Jozy did, you don't throw things at a player on the field even if they are "shushing" you. Landon Donovan drew his finger across his throat after his goal against Dallas a week or so ago, the FC Dallas fans didn't throw a thing at him. Probably because the Dallas fanbase has more class than some TFC lamers.

17. DoctorK

DoctorK New Member

Jan 8, 2002
    NorthBank, Riverbend
    Truth. Guys allegedly cheering for us do stupid things, too, I'm afraid. The TFC supporters I spoke with were enthusiastic but polite.

18. oOoOo

oOoOo New Member

Aug 8, 2007
    +1 ....there is no justification for throwing ANYTHING at players. There are so many TFC fans actually justifying this behavior, because he made a shushing gesture, they should really look at themselves and ask do they want to be associated with these groups? I would be embarressed to be them.

19. SteveB2

SteveB2 New Member

Feb 21, 2005
    Nanuet, NY
    Ten or fifteen out of roughly 300 who travellled eight to ten hours is a small number.
    The guys I met, walking in and walking out were polite, passionate but reasonable guys.
    Every supporters group has its percentage of dldoes. We can't blame all of the travelling supporters for a few idiots.

20. sccrhound

sccrhound Member

Oct 8, 2002
    CT
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    They threw both beer bottles and water bottles. The comment about taking the cap off shows how that is basically useless. They went five to ten yards on to the field without caps.

It wan't a small group. I saw two of the guys who threw bottles on the field and the bottom half of their supporters cheered them and hid them.

I give them credit for coming so far, but f##k them for their losing behavior.

BTW I saw about 6 to 8 thrown out, but I was concentrating more on the game.

21. zorsofstesab

zorsofstesab New Member

Apr 7, 2007
    1st off I am not a troll, just a soccer fan who has embraced the TFC

Throwing objects on the Field/Fans (especially children) is totally unacceptable. I would like to hear what the TFC supporters who attended the game have to say as there is always two sides to a story. So far I have only heard 1 side. I was planning to attend the road trip with my 9 year old son but my plans changed as a result of a soccer tournament. Let's say that we would not have been part of the crowd that was entoxicated/vulgar/object throwers. With this being said you cannot say that all TFC supporters that attended were guilty. Good to see that our Captain Brennan stood tall and did damage control. I don't get why people can't control there booze intake. Someone tell me why you need to get to a mental state of recklessness at a game? I am a TFC season ticket holder, enjoy having a few beers and attend the games with my son for enjoyment of the game, win or lose. Anyway, hopefully I have convinced New York fans that there are good TFC fans out there. Every apple tree has bad apples. I think you guys just saw a bad tree today. Good luck the rest of the year!!

22. ElJefe

ElJefe Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 16, 1999
    Colorful Colorado
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well, it helped that Landycakes was shushing the wine-and-cheese section of the crowd. Had he done that in front of the cheap seats, he might've had to deal with a little aerial debris.

23. sccrhound

sccrhound Member

Oct 8, 2002
    CT
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Thanks

If I had a video camera I could have shown you the five or so bottles that were thrown on the field after the goal and the proud I am tough guy look on the guys I saw throw them on the field.

There was no attempt to reign them in.

All I can say is they will be up in the DC area next time. Too bad, they made it fun for a while.

24. Roehl Sybing

Roehl Sybing Guest

Actually, if it weren't for seeing the ejections, my opinion is that TFC supporters are quite plastic in nature.

After the game, they were the loudest, most energetic...tame group of supporters I've seen so far in MLS. The feel is European, but there's really nothing beyond the surface of their fandom. It's no more real in my opinion than, from the perspective of Eurosnobs and purists, the fandom promoted to the children and soccer moms in MLS.

Yeah, there may be more of them than us. But quantity doesn't really make up for a lack of quality.

25. LuckyCharms

LuckyCharms New Member

May 26, 2007
    New York
    I was about to write a curt reply to ckyak's post, but after rereading it, I guess it isn't TOO far off base. Here is my two cents. I was at the game today, and really enjoyed seeing the TFC support. I was nice to go to a game (and I have been to many) and see more people who were really involved with what was happening on the field, instead of worrying about feeding their four eight year olds who aren't watching the game anyway, and getting up, and interrupting everyone who is actually watching the game to do so. It is a shame that for most games, the core fans watching the game are cut off from the rest of the crowd, so we are never able to start a real chant or anything.

Anyone throwing beer bottles, or batteries at anyone is an abomination, and should be arrested, and at the very least, ejected from the stadium. If you have a problem with the foul language, which our ESC is also guilty of, and although they are segregated, their loudest chant, which features the word, s***, resonates throughout the entire stadium, take your children to watch golf or tennis. In this game, the real fans want to swear at the players and the bad calls. One of the reasons we cannot attract any of these fans is beacuse they feel we cannot get rowdy and have a good time, without feeling like we are interupting the family picnic.

I am not saying not to bring the kids, but please realize where you are taking them. There is a great game going on, and you might have to put up with a little off-color lanuage.