Toronto Blue Jays too white?

Discussion in 'Other Sports' started by DoyleG, Jun 28, 2003.

1. DoyleG

DoyleG Member+

CanPL
    Canada
    Jan 11, 2002
    YEG-->YYJ-->YWG-->YYB
    Club:
    FC Edmonton
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
  2. dfb547490

dfb547490 New Member

Feb 9, 2000
    The Heights
    As someone who was a diehard Jays fan back before I stopped caring about baseball (the first game I went to when I was old enough to realize what was going on was at the SkyDome), what a crock of shit.

Do these idiots not remember the Blue Jays winning the World Series 10 years ago, with not only many of the team's stars (Joe Carter, Roberto Alomar, Devon White, Juan Guzman, Tony Fernandez) but the friggin manager being black or Hispanic? I believe Cito Gaston was the first black manager to win the WS as well.

Their only "evidence" for this is that the Blue Jays apparently had fewer "visible" (whatever that means) minorities than any other team last season, but some team has to...

3. tRUTH tELLA

tRUTH tELLA New Member

Jun 19, 2002
    Northern California
    You know, you heard the same thing a few years ago about the A's, when they were just starting to get good, and before they acquired players like Long, Tejada, Dye, Singleton, etc. People were complaining that they didn't "represent" the city of Oakland well.

I don't think this is a coincidence, since Toronto GM J.P. Ricciardi is a former disciple of Oakland GM Billy Beane. They base their decisions on SABERmetrics, which puts all the emphasis on statistics, not height, weight, or anything else. If anything, this makes them the least prejudiced of any GMs.

4. TheSlipperyOne

TheSlipperyOne Member+

Feb 29, 2000
    Denver
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Carlos Delgado has it right:

"We've got a great team, who cares if we're white or black or Latin?'' said Delgado. "That should never, ever be an issue."

5. Ludahai

Ludahai New Member

Jun 22, 2001
    Taichung, Taiwan
    Amen to that, though I do remember such claims being made against the Celtics in the 1980s (they DID have fewer black players than other teams, including the Lakers). Then again, five championships in the 80s should speak for itself.

Toronto seems to have a pretty good club. THey have quietly (from my perspective) managed to keep pace with the more fancied Yankees and Red Sox.

6. TheSlipperyOne

TheSlipperyOne Member+

Feb 29, 2000
    Denver
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    I actually dug up the column and it's loaded to bring racism into the equation when anybody who knows anything about how Ricciardi manages a team knows that physicalities have nothing to do with how he looks at players (as already mentioned by tRUTH tELLA).

The title of the article is even says "White Jays" in it and has pictures of the white players on the team. Yet it has no mention of the Raptors who have only three white players on their team.

7. 655321

655321 New Member

Jul 21, 2002
    The Mission, SF
    Hey , the other day the Giants took the field against the A's and the ONLY white player starting was the pitcher, Foppert...WTF?? I think the Giants are too brown. I mean, really, it's ridiculous. Let's get some racial equality here. Felipe Alou is a straight up bigot.

8. Dr. Wankler

Dr. Wankler Member+

May 2, 2001
    The Electric City
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    At the end of the article:

Now, that's a quality "no comment" comment if ever I've seen one.

9. Sober Tom

Sober Tom Member

Sep 10, 2001
    Glassboro, South Jer
    Club:
    CA River Plate
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    dude you're a blue jays fan living in philly?

10. dfb547490

dfb547490 New Member

Feb 9, 2000
    The Heights
    Used to be, until they had the strike and I stopped giving a flying crap about baseball...we used to go to Toronto every summer and we'd always go to 2-3 Jays games when we were up there, since that was the first place I ever saw a game in person (aside from some A's and Padres games when I was too little to know what the hell was going on)...I was also a big Phils fan but when they played each other in the '93 Series I had to cheer for the BJs.

11. hangthadj

hangthadj Member+

A.S. Roma
    Mar 27, 2001
    Zone 14
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    If I knew where you lived those days I woulda slashed your tires. Well, after I was busy coming up with an arson plan for Mitch Williams house.

12. dfb547490

dfb547490 New Member

Feb 9, 2000
    The Heights
    Well I was 9 years old in 1993 so I don't think you would've had much luck :)

13. hangthadj

hangthadj Member+

A.S. Roma
    Mar 27, 2001
    Zone 14
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    did ya have a paper route, i coulda got your bike maybe.