First 11 Development Academy Clubs named

Discussion in 'Youth National Teams' started by Shibb, Jun 16, 2007.

1. Shibb

Shibb Member

Feb 22, 2005
    Tampa
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    From USSoccer.com today:
    More here

2. Proud Mama

Proud Mama New Member

May 9, 2006
    OC
    Only see two west coast clubs. Who else has applied?

3. FirstStar

FirstStar Hustlin' for the USA

Fulham Football Club
    Feb 1, 2005
    Time's Arrow
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    No Texas clubs yet either. I suspect there will be more named soon.

4. JohnR

JohnR Member+

Jun 23, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    No Gallagher, no Irvine, each of which had previously been announced as some version of an academy. But maybe a different version? At any rate, I bet that the original vision of the academy is being revised and that we see something rather different in the autumn.

5. Pegasus

Pegasus Member+

Apr 20, 1999
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The problem here and probably elsewhere is the timing. Since it is not up and running yet it will be hard to upset the existing arrangement when it is so close to the final date for rosters for '07-'08. Had there been more time and if they add more teams next year then the numbers might approach what they have in mind. It is too hard for kids to change on faith with only two weeks left until signing date.

6. HighburyForever

HighburyForever Red Card

Oct 15, 2006
    Wooloomooloo, New South Wales
    Club:
    Zenit St Petersburg
    Nat'l Team:
    Russia
    Very creative, aren't they ;)

7. Shibb

Shibb Member

Feb 22, 2005
    Tampa
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Don't be a Player hater.

8. Proud Mama

Proud Mama New Member

May 9, 2006
    OC
    As I don't profess to be an expert at any of this, I've asked several European coaches who now reside in the US and train, what the academies are like over there, and what it takes to become an academy over in Europe. From what I've been told, it's very rigorous and held to a very high standard.

Many have stated an opinion of...."Just because you call yourself an academy here in the US, doesn't mean you are one. Just changing your name without the proper backing/leadership/training, doesn't mean anything."

So, I guess we all need to do our homework if considering an academy style club for our children and make sure they are what they say they are.

9. bytheshore8

bytheshore8 New Member

Jan 22, 2005

They must be........they coined the name long before US soccer....

10. drew_VT_6

drew_VT_6 Member

Feb 22, 2000
    Orange County, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'd be interested as to the whole process of applying and the process of accreditation. Does anyone know what it entails?

11. JohnR

JohnR Member+

Jun 23, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    There's an application form. It's obviously geared to clubs that have been around for a while, that is how many professionals have you developed, DI college players, and so forth.

12. drew_VT_6

drew_VT_6 Member

Feb 22, 2000
    Orange County, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Does the USSF then subsidize these clubs for player scholarships, etc? Or is this just an accreditation thing?

13. Proud Mama

Proud Mama New Member

May 9, 2006
    OC
    I also heard that the club's credentialled coaching staff comes into play. License level, etc.

14. JohnR

JohnR Member+

Jun 23, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    Yep, I forgot to mention that part. Facilities, also. Fields, lights, weight rooms.

15. Proud Mama

Proud Mama New Member

May 9, 2006
    OC
    I believe that the credential coaching issue may play an integral part in choosing. With the 5 to 1, how many are "A", "B", etc. I wonder how much they will enforce that?

16. Shibb

Shibb Member

Feb 22, 2005
    Tampa
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    One would hope that the USSF would have sent some folks to tour and talk with the best in class academies, learn from their experiences, and come back with a set of best practices to share with these clubs. Or maybe the clubs will do that on their own, even partner up with some top flight European clubs.

17. SUDano

SUDano Member+

Jan 18, 2003
    Rochester, NY
    From what I've read that's what makes this initiative unique is that USSF are setting up standards and best practices in terms of coaching, facilities, and training. USSF sets standards to be followed and the clubs puts together an application for the USSF to approve or deny. This endeavor is not just changing their name it's for lack of a better word an accredidation program to ensure they are who they say they are and not doing things outside the infrastructure.

18. Proud Mama

Proud Mama New Member

May 9, 2006
    OC
    And I personally believe this is what is so great about the entire idea. An accredidation system to hold accountable the elite clubs in this nation. How could it be a bad thing for a "D" or "C" Level coach to go back to school/training to attain his "A" or "B"?? I know it's difficult, but maybe this is what the elite player in this country needs. We expect the elite player in this country to take it to the next level, but how can they do that when they don't have an experienced coach to teach them? There are some great pro ideas about what USSF is attempting to do, but I also believe (IMHO) that some plans need to be ironed out, including NCAA, potential pro signings, etc. But the standards to be followed that USSF has setup for a club to become part of the academy league could only be for the best for our players.

19. MMJ4mil

MMJ4mil Member

Apr 7, 2007
    Nat'l Team:
    Iraq
    woot nomads baby

20. Peretz48

Peretz48 Member+

Nov 9, 2003
    Los Angeles
    One wonders why Nomads is the only CalSouth club to sign on thus far. I'm sure a lot of it has to do with the fact that all the Los Angeles area based clubs play in the Coast Soccer League Premier League competition, and none of those DOCs are ready yet to upset the status quo, whereas Nomads has decided to stay put in Presidio, so there's no established order that they'd be bucking by moving into the National Academy competition.

I'm sure USSF really can't be too concerned with just the CSL clubs. After all, it is a big country. Nevertheless, considering that CSL is among the strongest soccer leagues in the nation, it might be worth the Fed's time and interest to arrange some meetings with CSL clubs and see if they can work out some mutually agreeable arrangement. It would be ironic to have the proposed national competition final at HDC without any CSL clubs ever participating.

21. TimB4Last

TimB4Last Member+

May 5, 2006
    Dystopia
  22. Reverend Paul

Reverend Paul Member

Dec 23, 1999
    San Clemente
    I'm hearing that the USSF will be working things out to allow the academies to play CSL Premier along with the Academy schedule. Probably why only the Nomads have been named so far.

23. drew_VT_6

drew_VT_6 Member

Feb 22, 2000
    Orange County, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Is there any subsidization involved?

24. Proud Mama

Proud Mama New Member

May 9, 2006
    OC
    Along with? So USSF will change it's rules? Or will CSL Premier be the Academy League on the West Coast? What then happens to FWRL? And how did they say it would work with some of the teams in CSL Premier being Academy League teams and some not? Will the Premier bracketing then change?

25. Dan Roudebush

Dan Roudebush New Member

Mar 31, 1999
    So how does this program mesh with MLS youth devlopment squads? Which programs vary quite a bit between individual clubs.