Lew Wolff on 1590AM Friday 7:00pm

Discussion in 'San Jose Earthquakes' started by Earthshaker, Jun 15, 2007.

1. falvo

falvo Member+

Mar 27, 2005
    San Jose & Florence
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Here HERE! No! :D

2. markmcf8

markmcf8 Member+

Oct 18, 1999
    Vancouver, WA, USA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Realistically, no.

But fireworks are not environmentally friendly in any case. Laser light shows on the other hand are, and in the high tech Silly Valley, more appropriate.

And yeah, didn't anyone hear Wolff on the radio?! We exiles want to know!

GO QUAKES!!!
    GO SSV!!!

- Mark

3. Goodsport

Goodsport Moderator
    Staff Member

May 18, 1999
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The [Corporate name] Epicenter at San José's proximity to the airport will prevent laser light shows too. :(

GO SAN JOSE EARTHQUAKES!!! :cool:

-G

4. falvo

falvo Member+

Mar 27, 2005
    San Jose & Florence
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    How about Piccolo PETE'S ,sparklers,snakes, glow worms? I always loved the

RED DEVIL FIREWORKS......Remember when they were in Burlingame off 101 Highway?
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

http://www.tntfireworks.com/ncom/tnt/main/glo_fuze.html?zip=

5. Schwalker

Schwalker New Member

Apr 15, 2007
    Gelsenkirchen/Finja
    Club:
    FC Schalke 04
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
  6. Albany58

Albany58 Member+

Sep 14, 1999
    Concord, CA USA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That's Istanbul, not Constantinople.

7. Goodsport

Goodsport Moderator
    Staff Member

May 18, 1999
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Is there an archive of this interview anywhere? :confused:

There certainly isn't one at the KLIV website.

GO SAN JOSE EARTHQUAKES!!! :cool:

-G

8. markmcf8

markmcf8 Member+

Oct 18, 1999
    Vancouver, WA, USA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Not necessarily.

If you projected the lasers into a bunch of fog (from fog machines of course) in the south end of the stadium (above the stage you know?), the light would be contained by the ROOF over the south end. So no problem!

You could also place the lasers along the top of the stadium and shine them into fog in the center of the pitch. Remeber, you don't want to go shining lasers anywhere near people's faces, so they won't be flashing around the pitch.

And we do after all have some laser light experts at DeAnza College, so it's not like these issues would prevent a laser light show. ;)

GO QUAKES!!
    GO SSV!!

- Mark

9. JazzyJ

JazzyJ BigSoccer Supporter

Jun 25, 2003
    So no one listened to this interview? I'm really curious to hear how a Lew Wolff / Barry Witt interview would go. Would Witt be highly critical like he is in his reports or is he a hide behind his pen kind of guy? If Witt is critical how would Wolff respond?

10. don gagliardi

don gagliardi Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    Feb 28, 2004
    san jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    I was there and saw it live and then listened to it later. You can send me an email to discuss at dpg2003@aol.com.

11. MaraDoyle

MaraDoyle Member

Oct 4, 2000
    Casbah
    Don, how about posting a summary..?

12. acreach

acreach New Member

Oct 25, 2001

I heard it on the radio. Nothing major to say, Lew didn't share any new info except that he thinks that soccer is growing and he is excited to be a part of it.

HOWEVER, the best part was that Lew basically told Witt a few times that he was a twit. For example, Witt spent about 3 mins asking a question whose point was "why will soccer succeed now?" Lew's reponded with "can you repeat the question?" Another example was when Lew said something like, "I can answer the question well, even though it wasn't asked very well" and the best was during the Q&A a lady asked the first question and Lew said, "great question, first good question we've had all night"---refering to Twits prior questions.

13. pwave

pwave Member

Jul 28, 2004
    ValleyOfHeartsDelite

Barry Witt certainly carried a bit of an attitude into his role. Many of his questions were consistant with his work for the Merc.

If I remember right, one of his first questions was essentially "With all of the other needs of the city (police, swimming pools that aren't open because of disrepair, children that are starving) how can you justify asking the city to rezone a piece of property (iStar) so that you can build a soccer stadium".

Wolff did well to stay out of the muck and essentially said that the City Council determines the needs and priorities of the city. He didn't get drawn into the argument.

Witt bounced around with questions about the failure of the SJSU deal (Wolff said that was history; no need to tallk about it) to why did Wolff think that soccer could be successful since it had failed in the 80's (apparently Witt attended Chicago Sting games in the 70's); Wolf replied that soccer is the great unifying activity that fits into the international flavor of the Bay Area. He also played a little dumb and said he doesn't know why the previous incarnation of the Quakes wasn't successful here.

He was also very positive about how strong the Earthquakes brand is saying something about sports marketing is only branding; with it, you are successful, without it, you are not.

He said he was taken aback at how enthusiastic all of the Oakland A's Front Office was about getting involved in soccer.

If I remember any more I will post.

14. Earthshaker

Earthshaker BigSoccer Supporter

Sep 12, 2005
    The hills above town
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yeah, like rezoning iStar is going to make those situations worse. :rolleyes: The positive economic impact that the stadium and surrounding development at FMC will deliver to the city will far outweigh any costs the city may incur with the iStar rezoning.

15. FUAEG

FUAEG Member+

Oct 18, 2005
    San Jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    No kidding? Thats hilarious!

16. don gagliardi

don gagliardi Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    Feb 28, 2004
    san jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    SSV is hoping to get the audio from KLIV 1590 and post it on our website so you can judge for yourself. I'd rather not prejudice your objective assessment by providing advance commentary.

17. athletics68

athletics68 Member+

Dec 12, 2006
    San Diego & San Jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Probably not a bad idea. It's hard for most Quakes fans to be objective where Barry Witt is involved.

18. yalpstel

yalpstel Member

Oct 12, 2000
    Bay Area, CA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Maybe not dumb? Maybe very smart with a little indirect jab at AEG for having failed miserably in one of the largest, if not the largest soccer markets in the country?

Yea. :) I'll think of it that way.

19. Earthshaker

Earthshaker BigSoccer Supporter

Sep 12, 2005
    The hills above town
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think it was a wise response. Remember, he needs (or may need) AEG's blessing to start play in 2008. By "playing dumb" he doesn't offend AEG.

20. Len

Len Member+

Club: Dallas Tornado
    Jan 18, 1999
    Everywhere and Nowhere.....I'm the wind, baby.
    Hmmmmm......They Might Be Giants.......