Stadium news?

Discussion in 'Sporting Kansas City' started by MJ-inBRITAIN, Jun 13, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jarnevic

Jarnevic BigSoccer Supporter

Apr 21, 2005
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Good point. But KK seems pretty tapped into baseball gossip around the area (pro, college, & HS), so there could be something to this.

2. Silock

Silock Member

Feb 8, 2007
    KC
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Didn't Olathe build a really nice sports complex for its high schools?

3. Buzz Killington

Buzz Killington Member+

Oct 6, 2002
    Lee's Summit
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Apologies for last night, late night posting+being totally wiped=not very patient.

You're right it might be easier and cheaper to use the football field, which is why CAB doesn't seem like that good an idea, because you would have to spend money before and after each game pretty much to have people convert the stadium from soccer back to baseball, by taking down and putting back up the outfield wall, and removing any extra bleachers that would be added in the field. It'd not be as easy a switch as it would be at RFK since RFK is a mixed-use facility. At CBAC for instance you'd having seating already there, and to add extra to either the soccer field or the football field would likely only have to be a one time thing, you put it up and leave it up throughout the season.

4. Spoon

Spoon Member

Feb 25, 1999
    Overland Park Ks
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I really don't want to play at the CAB. I have a bad feeling about it and I really don't want to be on a berm. Atmosphere might be ok hard to tell I have never been to a game there. It is one thing to rent a stadium out from an NFL team during the summer another to rent one from a -A baseball team. The owners of the T-bones must really be hurting for cash if he needs another tennent for the summer.

5. the_cyclones

the_cyclones New Member

Jul 26, 2004
    The Cauldron
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This thread is the most annoying thread in a while.

6. cjgwizard

cjgwizard Member

Apr 25, 2006
    LSP, section 129
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  7. Buzz Killington

Buzz Killington Member+

Oct 6, 2002
    Lee's Summit
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    no thank you to any smaller stadium rumors at Arrowhead, at least as a possible location for the Wizards. Cause you know that facility would be run by the Chiefs, putting us in the same second class citizen position as well as leaving us to have to bow to the Chiefs schedule.

8. cjgwizard

cjgwizard Member

Apr 25, 2006
    LSP, section 129
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

I agree. I find it hard to believe that they would even consider building a mini stadium at all anyway. They have an adequate practice facility already....the idea doesn't make much sense really. Besides, how long would it take them to build a mini stadium anyway? We will have our own in two years anyway.

9. Brian71

Brian71 Member

Sep 2, 2006
    Denver
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    let's hope so...getting away from the TSC will be the best thing for us.

10. cjgwizard

cjgwizard Member

Apr 25, 2006
    LSP, section 129
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  11. Revisionist Quagmire

Nov 19, 2005
    Quahog
    Eh. It's not that bad. Everybody knows the downsides, sure, but the location has good access and everybody knows where it is. The sightlines are good. There are worse options.

12. Buzz Killington

Buzz Killington Member+

Oct 6, 2002
    Lee's Summit
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    there are worse locations, but he's right getting away from there is for the best. While there, we're at the beckon call of the two other team's that play at the complex. The access is fantastic, and it is a decent place to see a game, but those are put off by the crap game times we get by having to schedule around the Royals and Chiefs.

13. Revisionist Quagmire

Nov 19, 2005
    Quahog
    No argument here.

14. cjgwizard

cjgwizard Member

Apr 25, 2006
    LSP, section 129
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  15. Kayak

Kayak Member+

Feb 16, 2007
    Columbus
    Quick question for a converstation I'm having with someone else, which side of the river is the proposed statium to be built on... MO or KS?

16. KCRovert

KCRovert BigSoccer Supporter

Jun 17, 2004
    Overland Park
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Which River? I thought the Might Mo ran East / West through KC.

But I think the proposed location is East of the Little Blue River.

There are several possible locations, but the expected front-runner is the old Bannister Mall location, with is in southeast Kansas City, on the Missouri side.

17. Kayak

Kayak Member+

Feb 16, 2007
    Columbus
    I guess the only thing I’m actually curious about is which state it’s going to be built in, I had assumed Missouri, but he thought he read or heard Kansas.

Thanks for the information.

18. cjgwizard

cjgwizard Member

Apr 25, 2006
    LSP, section 129
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    There are actually two sites in the running on both sides of the state line (the only one made public so far is at the Bannister Mall site). The one we will hear about first is the Bannister location, as they have to submit plans to the TIF committee, which is what is likely to happen in the next couple of weeks.

19. cjgwizard

cjgwizard Member

Apr 25, 2006
    LSP, section 129
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  20. Buzz Killington

Buzz Killington Member+

Oct 6, 2002
    Lee's Summit
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    TIF Task Force has come back with their findings on how TIFs should be used.

http://www.kansascity.com/105/story/253114.html

Now maybe it's just me, or it's just through my blue glasses, but the Bannister Mall area certainly seems like a blighted area.

21. cjgwizard

cjgwizard Member

Apr 25, 2006
    LSP, section 129
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm glad it didn't take months for them to get their TIF plan together. Maybe this will happen quicker than we thought.

22. Buzz Killington

Buzz Killington Member+

Oct 6, 2002
    Lee's Summit
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think this is right on schedule, I thought I read somewhere else when the stadium deal was being discussed that the plan was for the TIF council's findings were to be made known right before the meeting about the Bannister location. But I could be wrong.

23. Brian71

Brian71 Member

Sep 2, 2006
    Denver
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    I'm pretty sure I read that in the Star...so, perhaps good news on the horizon.

24. KCFutbol

KCFutbol Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 14, 2001
    Overland Park, KS
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    From the KCSkyscrapers Forum. Totally unsubstantiated, take it for what it's worth.

25. Abracadabra

Abracadabra BigSoccer Supporter

Sep 11, 2006
    Olathe, Kansas
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I wonder if they might run into some political resistance regarding the 3 trails stuff (historical societies, etc). Or is that just confined to Schumacher Park?