New Watch Party Site

Discussion in 'Sporting Kansas City' started by KCCustomerRelations, Jun 12, 2007.

1. KCCustomerRelations

KCCustomerRelations New Member

Apr 22, 2007
    For at least the next two road games (and probably beyond), we will have watch parties at The Embassy Bistro at 3945 Main in KCMO. It's at Main and Westport Rd. across from Osco, where Clint's comic book shop used to be, and there are a bunch of international flags out front. At least for Wizards games, there will be a Wizards flag as well.

The Embassy is offering a $5.95 appetizer buffet, as well as a full menu. They have excellent beers on tap.

The Embassy has only been open for 8 months, and for several months of that, it has been limited as they worked on renovation.

Their stated goal is to become "KC's soccer bar". This was one of their motivating factors in opening the establishment. They have GolTV, FSC, and more. We will have these two watch parties there, but this is only the beginning of the relationship. We have plans for a lot more.

810 Zone Leawood will continue to show games, and the experience there this year has been very good for a lot of both of our customers. That should continue going forward

Thanks,
    Sam

2. jdoppel

jdoppel Member

Jan 12, 2004
    Kansas City, MO
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I saw the De La Hoya fight there a while back and thought the place was pretty cool. There is a smallish section in front of the bigscreen - so get there early and stake your claim.

Also - maybe this will create a bidding war with Harlings a couple doors down. Back in the day they used to show FSC, and some pay-per-view games, but I don't think they do any of that anymore.

3. the_cyclones

the_cyclones New Member

Jul 26, 2004
    The Cauldron
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I assume you mean "ROAD" games, right? :)

This sounds good. I am sure I'll make it there for the wed. game. Not sure about this weekend.

4. j_m_t

j_m_t Member

Aug 27, 2005
    KC
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    much better, sick of 810 again and since F&h isnt an option...

5. Jarnevic

Jarnevic BigSoccer Supporter

Apr 21, 2005
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I've been there twice. Both times they had Mexican soccer on, and both times I saw Yura there eating.

6. directorman

directorman New Member

Jan 21, 2007
    Omaha
    I wish I lived in KC...I wanna hang out at watch parties :(

7. wz187

wz187 Member

Aug 30, 2006

I was going to watch the US gold cup game tonight at 810 zone in the plaza. Is this place a better place to go watch?

8. KC Salty

KC Salty Member

Apr 27, 2000
    Kansas City, Missouri
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Excellent! I'll be there on Saturday. Thanks to Sam, Robert and whomever else had a hand in finding a new watch party location.

Let's show up in force.

9. KCRovert

KCRovert BigSoccer Supporter

Jun 17, 2004
    Overland Park
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It most definitely was not me. I appreciate the kudos, but they all belong to Sam and the FO.

10. Jarnevic

Apr 21, 2005
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It may be easier to get them to put the game on a TV for you at Embassy, but I prefer the Plaza 810 Zone more as an establishment.

Embassy definately WON'T be crowded though, and tonight the Royals play the Cardinals, so 810 might be busy.

Drinks are cheaper at Embassy as well.

11. ralfonso

ralfonso New Member

Dec 5, 2005
    They have a pretty good beer selection, but they don't have any beers on tap. You can get a bucket of import bottles for $15 though.

Excellent. This sort of place is needed in KC. It seems like every major city in the US has a "go to" place for the big matches.

For me, The Embassy is much better for watch parties than 810Zone. Even without beer on tap ;) I'm eager to see how it goes.

12. j_m_t

j_m_t Member

Aug 27, 2005
    KC
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'll defanatly come out there Saturday and next Wendsday but...

but i have no funds to go out tonight to watch and give it a try:mad:

13. Jarnevic

Apr 21, 2005
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Hopefully as the rebirth of downtown continues, a new place will pop up somewhere that kicks ass. If we could get that "Willie's" place right next to the arena to get on board, that'd be awesome.

14. kcscsupporter

kcscsupporter Member+

Apr 17, 2002
    D17
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    a bar without beer on tap is not a bar, in my opinion. i can go to the store and pick up some bottles. i want a beer in a glass (and not poured into one from a can/bottle). this is very unfortunate. i was really thinking about giving this place a go.

15. KC Salty

KC Salty Member

Apr 27, 2000
    Kansas City, Missouri
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I can go to a liquor store and pick up a keg too. A bar to me means they've got other liquors, which it sounds like they do. Besides, bottles in an ice cold bucket are pretty tasty. The menu is definitely intriguing. Check it out:

The Embassy

I'm definitely going to try it out. Who else is going to be there?

16. the_cyclones

the_cyclones New Member

Jul 26, 2004
    The Cauldron
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  17. kcscsupporter

kcscsupporter Member+

Apr 17, 2002
    D17
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    i can't believe this was the first comment after my post. really, i'm shocked. sigh.:rolleyes:

yes, you can buy a keg at a liquor store, but it's never anything less than a hassle.... and you know this and exactly what my point was.

18. ojsgillt

ojsgillt Member

Feb 27, 2001
    Lee's Summit MO

at first, then it pays for itself.

19. Felixx219

Felixx219 BigSoccer Supporter

Nov 8, 2004
    Kansas City, MO
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Not to be a downer, but I completely agree. A bar isnt a bar unless it has beer on tap. I saw this in the e-mail and was looking forward to going but I dont usually go to bars that dont have a bar selection on tap. That makes it pointless, in my opinion.

But, I do appreciate that a local establishment is making the effort. Hopefully, they will add some taps and I will be there without hesitation.

20. SamPierron

SamPierron BigSoccer Supporter

Nov 30, 1998
    Kansas City
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So, I want to get this straight:

A place says that it's dedicated to being KC's soccer bar, (it's practically their raison d'etre) and people won't go there because they only have beer in bottles at the present time?

I mean, it isn't like I don't see you guys lowering your standards sufficiently to drink beer from bottles at pole D-17. :)

Just checking.

To quote Roseanne Rosanna Danna: "If it's not one thing, it's another."

21. KC Frostbite

KC Frostbite Member

Jan 9, 2002
    Raymore, Mo

What is more important? Beer or soccer? I can have a beer anytime...but when is a game on?

Frost

You don't have to be old to be wise. - Judas Priest

:D

22. Felixx219

Nov 8, 2004
    Kansas City, MO
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Honestly, I will probably check that out. But, that has always been a huge pet peeve of mine that bars would do that. From what I understand, bars make a lot more money off tapped beer than bottles or atleast that is what I have been told my bar owners and managers before.

I dont really get out to bars too much so when I do go I like to go somewhere that has a nice selection of brews on tap because that is what I enjoy about bars.

23. Sachsen

Sachsen Member+

Aug 8, 2003
    Broken Arrow, Okla.
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The point is not to go there because it's a "bar" -- whatever your definition of a "bar" is. The point is they are a soccer-friendly establishment who want to curry your favor and business by subscribing to soccer channels and showing soccer games, and offering food and drink at the same time. If a bar is all you're looking for you have plenty of options. Soccer-friendly establishments? Not so much.

Talk about looking a gift horse in the mouth. :rolleyes:

24. Jarnevic

Apr 21, 2005
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    My advice is for people to check it out. If you like it, great. If you don't like it, great. Whatever. But we should probably start showing up in mass to some of these places to show the FO that we care that they are trying to get these team sponsored watch parties going.

You never know. At some point, some kick ass bar (that we all agree on) might offer some great deals for a watch party, but our FO might just say, "That's okay. We don't sponsor watch parties any more 'cause no one ever shows up."

Also, I prefer draught beer as well, but I never let it deter me from a good party.

25. Felixx219

Nov 8, 2004
    Kansas City, MO
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

I understand that. But, I dont go to watch parties, to bars, or to restaurants much because of my family and what not. When I do go out, I am very picky about where I go because its a rarity. If I were able to get out more, it would be no big deal. With that said, I am glad someone is making the effort to do this and I will try to check it out soon.