Canada - Costa Rica (R) 06/06 Match thread

Discussion in 'Canada' started by jpg75, Jun 5, 2007.

1. Moaca

Moaca Member

Mar 8, 2006
    Canada - Costa Rica

Yeah, Craig Forrest, what does he know, all he ever did in England was hand out orange slices.

Queue Debra Barone catchphrase.

2. Captain Canuck

Captain Canuck New Member

May 13, 2002
    Whether it is "cool" is immaterial - that isn't the way Julian or his family (or anyone come to think of it) pronounces it.

3. ssanchez

ssanchez Member

Oct 15, 2000
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Congrats to the Canucks for winning their first game against a traditionally tough oponents. I have a question for you fine northerners. Has MLS aided the developement of Canadian soccer players, or was it something that would have been happening in the same rate regardless of MLS or has the league impeeded the development of your players. Thanks for any responses in advance.

4. jpg75

jpg75 Member

Jun 11, 2005
    Toronto, Canada
    Club:
    Toronto FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    It will help, but the affects of it won't be felt for atleast a few more years. Look at our U20 roster, we have a handful of kids on TFC now and they're training and playing in the reserves. Some of these guys may have fallen through the cracks or been banished to USL1 in the past.

5. Hachiko

Hachiko The Akita on Big Soccer

Jun 8, 2005
    Long Beach, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Not sure if anyone mentioned this, but did you see in one of the substitutions for Costa Rica, the player substituted out was George H. W. Bush? If you downloaded the torrent, you can see it for a few seconds.

I thought that was a bit smart-aleck by the guy working the captions. If he was on BS, I'd give him a hearty rep.

6. CanuckFan

CanuckFan Member

Dec 13, 1999
    Calgary
    Club:
    FC Energie Cottbus
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    Not to any extent really. There were only a handful of Cdn players in the MLS prior to the arrival of Toronto FC, due to the restrictive import rules. Most Canadians with talent head to Europe. Our current roster has only 2-3 starters, de Rosario from Houston, Jazic from LA. Harmse (LA) has been seeing time but would not be on a final 18 man roster if we had a full team and Onstad (Houston) came out of retirement to play last week. Not one of those players was 'developed' in the MLS, although Harmse is a work in progress. We may see some benefits a year of two down the road from youngish players now at Toronto FC, but I would say the MLS has not done bugger all for our development to date.