Bryan Lopez in Paraguay?

Discussion in 'Yanks Abroad' started by Dave Marino-Nachison, May 31, 2007.

1. Dave Marino-Nachison

Jun 9, 1999
    A couple of web sites list a Bryan Lopez, a goalkeeper born in 1988, as being with Sportivo Luqueño in Paraguay. Good place to be? Perhaps, as it was Chilavert's youth club. (I wonder if he takes free kicks.)

2. Dan-ny-m398

Dan-ny-m398 Member

Aug 25, 2004
    Long Island NY
    Club:
    Olimpia Asuncion
    Nat'l Team:
    Paraguay

He was born in Queens , his whole family is from Paraguay, his father was a well known player in the 70's and early 80's. Bryan is a reserve for the main team and was called for the U20 Paraguayan team a couple of month ago but then they realized he is an American Citizen and PY doesn't accept dual citinzenship. His older Brother was also in py trying to get into a 1st division club but he is back in NY again(he is a forward) and bryan can't take free kicks.

3. FirstStar

FirstStar Hustlin' for the USA

Fulham Football Club
    Feb 1, 2005
    Time's Arrow
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Thanks much for the info.

4. Dave Marino-Nachison

Jun 9, 1999
    Thanks! What is his brother's name?

5. Dan-ny-m398

Dan-ny-m398 Member

Aug 25, 2004
    Long Island NY
    Club:
    Olimpia Asuncion
    Nat'l Team:
    Paraguay
    Damian Lopez, he is 23 years old, my brother in law and Him tryed out for the former Metrostars and made the cut for the reserves a couple of years ago, but since his father is very well known in Paraguay I guess they had a better shot to get more experience in PY. Both of them are very talented, but I think Bryan has a better chance, because he is been training and playing profesionally for a few years now and he is not 20 yet. He probably will be coming back to the states next summer.

6. USvsIRELAND

USvsIRELAND Member+

Jul 19, 2004
    ATL
    How tall is Bryan?

7. Dan-ny-m398

Dan-ny-m398 Member

Aug 25, 2004
    Long Island NY
    Club:
    Olimpia Asuncion
    Nat'l Team:
    Paraguay
    Last time I saw him he was still a teenager about 5'9 but I assume he grew a few inches since then, but his brother is pretty tall and his father too, both of them about 6' feet tall.

8. USvsIRELAND

USvsIRELAND Member+

Jul 19, 2004
    ATL
    Gracias for the info.

9. SoccerNation

SoccerNation New Member

Jan 9, 2006
    A 6ft tall goalkeeper.
    Not toooo impressive.

10. Dan-ny-m398

Dan-ny-m398 Member

Aug 25, 2004
    Long Island NY
    Club:
    Olimpia Asuncion
    Nat'l Team:
    Paraguay
    He might not even be 6ft, like I said last time I saw him he was about 5'9, but , are you implying that you have to be over 6" to be a good goalie?? chilavert is bearly 5'11" and he was a good keeper, also we don't have many flashy players but one thing we are known for, is having good goalies and Bryan was to be called up for our U20 NT that's before they found out he was a US citizen so he has some talent.

BTW I saw his father play yesterday in the Golden age league of NY and he is still pretty good and he is about 54, he scored a nice goal yesterday.

11. SoccerNation

SoccerNation New Member

Jan 9, 2006
    Not implying that there cant be any good goalkeepers under 6ft but I was simply trying to point out that MY ideal goalkeeper would be at at least 6-2'.Obviously, there are good goalkeepers of all heights but it isint often that you see a professional gk under 6ft.

12. Dan-ny-m398

Dan-ny-m398 Member

Aug 25, 2004
    Long Island NY
    Club:
    Olimpia Asuncion
    Nat'l Team:
    Paraguay
    Actually it is very often that you see short keepers, in South America at least, if you watched the Libertadores you would have seen it, I would say the average height for goalies is about 5'11" Most of them are listed about 2" more than what their real height is, just to give you an example the goalie for our NT Justo Villar who a couple of years ago was said to be the best goalie in the Argentinian league is listed at 5'11" and I seen him in person and 5'9" is actually generous for him, Aldo Bobadilla looks like a giant and he is
    about 6'1'' anyways I don't want to get off the topic but the trend of having 6'4"-6'6" goalies like in Europe, hasn't hit south America, it could just be because there isn't many Extra tall and talented people or they just go by talent rather than height , I don't have an answer for that but it is very normal to have under 6' tall goalies.

13. USvsIRELAND

USvsIRELAND Member+

Jul 19, 2004
    ATL
    Shay Given, one of the best goalies in the world is about 5 foot 11.

14. Dave Marino-Nachison

Jun 9, 1999
    Looks like Lopez is still with the club to start 2008.

15. Dan-ny-m398

Dan-ny-m398 Member

Aug 25, 2004
    Long Island NY
    Club:
    Olimpia Asuncion
    Nat'l Team:
    Paraguay
    I was talking to Bryan's Dad today and he told me that Bryan is the starting goalie for Luque and is going to be in the roster for the Copa Libertadores, but he said the team is looking to get another goalie with more experience for the Libertadores. He said that might be a blessing in disguise, because Luque is taking such a terrible team to the Libertadores, that it will actually be better for his career not to be part of that embarrassment coming up.

16. Dave Marino-Nachison

Jun 9, 1999
    Great news, thanks.

Did his brother find a team?

17. Dan-ny-m398

Dan-ny-m398 Member

Aug 25, 2004
    Long Island NY
    Club:
    Olimpia Asuncion
    Nat'l Team:
    Paraguay
    Bryan Lopez is going to be on the bench tomorrow for his team, they are playing against Audax Italiano this game is for the Copa Libertadores.

18. Dan-ny-m398

Dan-ny-m398 Member

Aug 25, 2004
    Long Island NY
    Club:
    Olimpia Asuncion
    Nat'l Team:
    Paraguay
    Bryan Lopez is going to be the starting goalie for Esportivo Luqueno, against Atletico Nacional, Is going to be on Fox sports at 1:00 am.

19. Sandon Mibut

Sandon Mibut Member+

Feb 13, 2001
    Any updates on Bryan? Is he still at Esportivo Luqueno? Is he getting first team minutes?

20. Dan-ny-m398

Dan-ny-m398 Member

Aug 25, 2004
    Long Island NY
    Club:
    Olimpia Asuncion
    Nat'l Team:
    Paraguay
    He is trying to get out of luque, the team is terrible and he hates it there, he is hoping to get back to the states for the next season.

21. Sandon Mibut

Sandon Mibut Member+

Feb 13, 2001
    He should contact the Galaxy; I hear they have some 'keeper issues. ;)

DC United might not be a bad team to contact, not to mention his hometown team, as well.

And Houston might be looking for an alternative to Tony Caig as Onstad's back-up.

22. Dan-ny-m398

Dan-ny-m398 Member

Aug 25, 2004
    Long Island NY
    Club:
    Olimpia Asuncion
    Nat'l Team:
    Paraguay
    Bryan and I went to get tickets for the PY-Peru game and I told him about what U said , but his main problem is htat he doesn´t have an agent and he is stuck in a useless team with a coach that he doesn´t get along with, if he can get someone who can get him a tryout he´ll go anywhere, he owns his Pass, the team will take any money for anything (team is broke) and he doesn´t make much money anyways, so he´d go to any team that would give him a fair shot to play.

23. Sandon Mibut

Sandon Mibut Member+

Feb 13, 2001
  24. Balerion

Balerion Member+

Aug 5, 2006
    Roslindale, MA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm always intrigued by YAs in non-European locales. Whatever happened with Bryan?

25. Dan-ny-m398

Dan-ny-m398 Member

Aug 25, 2004
    Long Island NY
    Club:
    Olimpia Asuncion
    Nat'l Team:
    Paraguay
    He is stuck in Luque, The new coach brought in a new Goalie and the President of Sportivo Luquenio WILL NOT release him under any circumstances he spent all the preseason trying to get out of the Club, but the most he could get out of the deal was a 6 month loan to another club , that was a week before the season started so he had no choice but to report back to the club, he is still playing in the reserves practicing and waiting for the season to end, so he can do the whole thing over again(try to get out of the club) he still only 20 years old so he has time to do something else in the future.