Flags

Discussion in 'New England Supporters Clubs' started by The Magpie, May 8, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. The Magpie

The Magpie Member

Nov 19, 1998
    Cambridge, MA
    Morning everyone,

Just wanted to pass this along, but for those perhaps looking to order some flags for potential use in The Fort, below is the company I recently ordered a bunch from:

http://www.3x5flag.com/

The flags are polyester, and there are a number that would work well for Revolution matches, including all white solid color ones (that you can paint, standard house paint working just fine), historical flags, and blue and white checkerboard ones that would look sharp. They currently have an offer that runs through July 4th of this year where you buy one flag and can get a second one free.

The special redemption code is as follows: B1G1F04JUL07

In the meantime, I'm thinking about placing another order for polypropylene tubing to make poles with... these are a bit better than wood as they're a lightweight, strong, but slightly flexible thermoplastic that won't crack, shatter, or splinter... something that wood or PVC can do. These can also be threaded so you can connect poles to make them longer. For a pole big enough for a 3 x 5 flag the cost is about $6.00.

In any event, if you want the link to the place where you can get the flagpole material, just send me a PM and I'll tell you exactly what you need to order.

Cheers,

The Magpie

2. ngower

ngower foolish grin

May 24, 2006
    Nashua, NH
    [​IMG]

Those would look nice if the FO would do what Chelsea did for the CL game way back when and pass them all out, but that'll never happen.

3. edlova

edlova Member

Nov 22, 2004
    Somerville, MA
    we dont need them helping us (since they wont) so we should get these ourselves...this would look nice, maybe another checker flag with red and blue as well

4. ngower

ngower foolish grin

May 24, 2006
    Nashua, NH
    Ya, no doubt about it I think we should get them, but I was saying I wish the FO would get them for the whole stadium so we could get a really nice atmosphere going. There I go again, putting atmosphere and FO in the same sentence again:rolleyes:

5. edlova

edlova Member

Nov 22, 2004
    Somerville, MA
    we would also need marketing and PR other than ourselves

6. The Magpie

The Magpie Member

Nov 19, 1998
    Cambridge, MA
    Anyway, this is a good deal to take advantage of, and at least for the time being, it looks like Flags and flagpoles (of a reasonable length) are being tolerated in The Fort.

7. KaptPowers

KaptPowers Member

Dec 29, 2003
    Arlington, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm think I'm gonna grab this jobber
    [​IMG]

and get this fo' free.
    [​IMG]

8. Transparent_Human

Oct 15, 2006
    Pale blue dot
    Club:
    Celtic FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Mauritius
    How far should i extend the flag pole beyond the 3X5 length, six inches or a foot or so? I'll probably use wood, a dowel of some sort.

9. Transparent_Human

Oct 15, 2006
    Pale blue dot
    Club:
    Celtic FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Mauritius
    Had the exact same idea!

10. edlova

edlova Member

Nov 22, 2004
    Somerville, MA
    and PBR is not

seriously, it is looking better with flags finally....the more the merrier

11. KaptPowers

KaptPowers Member

Dec 29, 2003
    Arlington, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Great minds and all that.

I'm a terrible flag geek. Next time I'm gonna roll out my massive Lexington town flag.
    [​IMG]

12. The Magpie

The Magpie Member

Nov 19, 1998
    Cambridge, MA
    Damn straight!

13. The Magpie

The Magpie Member

Nov 19, 1998
    Cambridge, MA
    Just replace this lighter blue with an OG Blue (and that's "Old Glory," not "Original Gangsta") and this is what The Fort could look like:

[​IMG]

The Magpie

14. KaptPowers

KaptPowers Member

Dec 29, 2003
    Arlington, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Can we NOT have those string banners? I hate those. The Rising Sun also might look a little weird too, but otherwise hell yes. :)

Are you saying we are not gangsta, Magpie?!

15. The Magpie

The Magpie Member

Nov 19, 1998
    Cambridge, MA
    A 4 foot length seems to work best.

16. Chowda

Chowda Member

Sep 13, 2004
    Rhode Island
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    They are letting them in the stadium now? I saw some Fort pics from the game and the NE flags were the longest handles I've seen yet.

17. KaptPowers

KaptPowers Member

Dec 29, 2003
    Arlington, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    First home game thecastigador, SamAdams, and I walked in with them, a guard stopped us, looked at them as if he was going to say we couldn't bring them in, he looked up at a supervisor, the supervisor shrugged his shoulders and let us in. Been letting us in ever since.

18. bwidell

bwidell Member+

Apr 19, 2005
    Manchester, NH
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Might grab one of these:

[​IMG]

It's the Bunker Hill flag, if anyone was wondering. Not sure what I would get for my free one.

19. Chowda

Chowda Member

Sep 13, 2004
    Rhode Island
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    It was though to be the Bunker Hill Flag due to someone miscoloring it in a brochure a hundred years or so ago.

It has since been modified with six stars in the body and copyrighted as the "Commercial Flag of New England"

However, it is blue and thus matches our color scheme.

20. Chowda

Chowda Member

Sep 13, 2004
    Rhode Island
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    [​IMG]

We really need to bring this to our meets.

21. bwidell

bwidell Member+

Apr 19, 2005
    Manchester, NH
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That's pretty interesting, I didn't know that.

As you said, it would still be a nice flag to have because it does match our colors.

22. Chowda

Chowda Member

Sep 13, 2004
    Rhode Island
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Here's the info on it.

23. wolfp10

wolfp10 Member

Sep 25, 2005
    I am considering getting an England flag, then putting "GLASTONBURY" across the horizontal bar, as they do in England. That is my hometown.

24. KaptPowers

KaptPowers Member

Dec 29, 2003
    Arlington, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Why don't you just get a New England flag and write it in white in the red field?

25. wolfp10

wolfp10 Member

Sep 25, 2005
    I could do that.

I know it is the tradition for English fans to do that to St. George's Cross. However, most Americans get pretty uptight when you start writing on our flags.