Fire Soehn Now!

Discussion in 'D.C. United' started by DCAustinite, Apr 28, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Bootsy Collins

Bootsy Collins Player of the Year

Oct 18, 2004
    Capitol Hill
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    No, I do not mean the 2005 Chivas team -- check what I wrote. We're on pace to make 20 points total, which would tie us with 1999 Metros and 2005 RSL for third worst season, because that's how many points those teams earned. If, OTOH, we only make 18 points total, *then* we'd tie with 2005 Chivas for *second* worst season. If we only get 8 more points out of the rest of the season, we'll tie with the 2001 Tampa Bay Mutiny for the worst season ever.

2. MattMathai

MattMathai BigSoccer Supporter

Jun 28, 2004
    Annapolis
    Is that the same as having tits on a bore?

Because that's much less of a problem.

I'm just sayin'...

3. Winoman

Winoman Drinkin' Wine Spo-De-O-De!

Jul 26, 2000
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I agree with what you previously posted. I've spent a lot of time screaming "go to the ball" at players who were stationary, and had the incoming pass intercepted by a more lively opponent. That was happening last year, especially near the end of the season, and has continued a lot into this season. The only three players I have seen not waiting for a pass to arrive, this year, are Gallardo, Quaranta, & Martinez.

There is little or no movement from our attacking players, so that lets defenses pack it in, knowing that we a) rarely shoot accurately from outside, b) we don't have any good crossers from the wings, c) if we screw up and actually send in a good cross, nobody up front will get a good shot off on goal anyway, and d) our walk-the-ball-into-the-goal techniques will never, ever work.

This year, I have seen on more than one occasion DC players interfering with each other. The players don't seem to know the concept of making a run to open space 1) to provide a safe outlet to maintain possession and 2) to keep the attack moving to cause problems for the opposing defense, that is to try to make them lose their shape, leave someone open, etc. On the contrary, I have seen DC players making runs right next to their own players, thus concentrating the opposing defenders and causing turnovers and counterattacks.

If we were talking about youth leagues, that would be something else. But we're talking about professionals who allegedly know the game, and professional coaches who should be able to correct these problems.

I really don't get why this is happening, either.

4. United fury

United fury Member+

Feb 9, 2007
    Woodbridge, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Gotcha

5. greenbill

greenbill New Member

Apr 30, 2003
    York, PA
    Yeah, I noticed that Tino used the word "talent" to describe the team when he was interviewed at halftime during the Chivas game. But I have to ask myself...who on this team really has significant "talent" relative to other players in MLS. I would say that Gallardo definitely has shown some valuable talent...Martinez...yes. I think that Jaime has talent, but its often overshadowed by the reality of the fact that he's just getting too old. But the majority of the team has shown me that they lack some considerable talent. I see some players who are decent defenders, but lack speed, agility and some basic skills with the ball. I see other players who are very uncomfortable with the ball on their weaker foot. I see forwards with horrible first touches. I see players not shielding the ball in midfield and losing it. And worst of all, I see a team that consistently passes the ball to the other team.

The ultimate question is whether this team needs to upgrade the amount of talent on the field, or change how the existing talent is used. If this team had the deep pockets of a European club, then I think that the answer would be simple...buy more talent. However, I'm not sure that this team is in that type of position to spend the necessary money. Maybe things can be improved via trades. So is Tommy the person that we can rely on to make these decisions? I guess that's up to the FO to decide.

6. owendylan

owendylan Member

May 30, 2001
    Virginia
    Club:
    DC United
    I don't totally agree. Yes poor practice habits and performance definitely lead to poor performances but perfect practices don't totally correlate. First, there really isn't such things as perfect and second there are plenty of cases of someone who does really well in training and then has a nightmare of a game. Maybe this isn't really what you meant.
    I don't think Soehn is a very good teacher in general and right now we need a good teacher.

7. owendylan

owendylan Member

May 30, 2001
    Virginia
    Club:
    DC United
    At least we're not Derby!

8. JeremyEritrea

JeremyEritrea Member+

Jun 29, 2006
    Takoma Park, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    No, not the same.

:D

9. Nick_78

Nick_78 New Member

May 9, 2004
    VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Somewhere out there, this thread is making a unicorn cry. And that makes me sad.

And that statement makes just about as much sense as half the shit posted in this thread, so don't go telling me I'm off topic here.

10. dcchelseafc

dcchelseafc Moderator
    Staff Member

DC United
    Sep 2, 2005
    Naptown
    Club:
    DC United
    we lose tomorrow, tommy is fired sunday

11. bigredfutbol

bigredfutbol Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 5, 2000
    Woodbridge, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well, broadcast announcers repeat this line all the time. The FSC guys, the Comcast crew...everybody talks about how we're a championship team "on paper." So it's "in the air."

12. Dogmatagram

Dogmatagram Member

Jun 3, 2006
  13. NattyBo

NattyBo Member+

Apr 30, 2004
    Nunya
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--

Why in the world do you think this is unlikely?

14. AMERICANS SC

AMERICANS SC New Member

Feb 1, 2005
    Do you honestly believe that DC United is going to play horrible and lose 0-2 tomorrow?

Everyone is aware that their jobs are on the line, that is why it is unlikely (I would even say highly unlikely).

15. NattyBo

NattyBo Member+

Apr 30, 2004
    Nunya
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    Yes.

I hope they make me eat my words, but it not like we're invincible at home this year.

16. MattR

MattR Member+

Jun 14, 2003
    Reston
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Ok, so I normally try to avoid these threads, 'cause I don't know a lot about soccer. I play rugby :p

But here are the problems I see on this team that are coaching related:

1) Expectations. We've had enough injuries and enough position changes that a player doesn't seem to know his responsibility on the field. Lots of ball watching.

2) Confidence. It appears that everyone is trying so hard to overcome their losing streak that we are pressing, can't cross, first touches suck, passes are forced. Confident DC United teams toyed with their opponents, we can barely do the things that are natural to professional soccer players.

3) Media. This whole "calling players out in the media" thing just doesn't seem right IMHO. Granted, that's not unanimous.

4) Tactics. Soehns getting out-coached, is making bizarre subs, and can't seem to decide on an approach. You expect some learning to take place, but with no real approach, it leads to #1.

Now, if we bring in a new coach from somewhere now, #3 and #4 would be eliminated, it would take a month or so to get over #1, and #2 will only occur with some success.

Here are the things that are not Soehn's fault

1) Injuries to Ben Olsen, Fred, and McTavish
    2) Loss of Gomez, Brian Carroll, Boswell, Perkins, and Gros

The question is, is the second list more influential than the first? I'd say there are two ways to win in this league -- with a disjointed system and some good players, you can win games. With a good system and average players who know that system, you can win games. We have a disjointed system with players that don't know the system. Yuck.

The Washington Capitals replaced their coach on Thanksgiving, and went nuts, making it into the playoffs. Is such a turnaround possible in soccer? I don't think so - but I'd be willing to try.

My problem with getting rid of Soehn is there are no real obvious coaching options available.

17. Dogmatagram

Dogmatagram Member

Jun 3, 2006
    The question I'm struggling with is whether a win would be better for this franchise right now than another loss coupled with an Arena hiring.

Don't get me wrong. As a fan, I can't and won't hope for a loss. But as someone who thinks that Arena, for all his faults, is a far more impressive coach than Soehn, I can't avoid the line of thought.

18. URwormfood

URwormfood Member

Mar 24, 2004
    6 feet under: LOT 8
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I say we fire this thread now...and bring in part 2 for shits sake...:D

~worm~

19. AMERICANS SC

AMERICANS SC New Member

Feb 1, 2005
    I have to agree with you that DC United is not invincible at home this year.

But, nevertheless, I hope they make you eat your words. :D

Because, I would hate to see what would happen if the coach is fired and players are shipped out quickly (those that the new coach would not want on the team for various reasons).

20. Riz

Riz Member+

Nov 18, 2004
    R-ville, Murrlin
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England