UCLA defeats Chivas Reserves 4-1

Discussion in 'College & Amateur Soccer' started by SoccerPoodle, Apr 29, 2007.

1. SoccerPoodle

SoccerPoodle New Member

Aug 15, 2006
    LA
    Just came back from watching UCLA run the game on the Chivas Reserve team. At one point in the game it was 3-0 in favor of UCLA. Preki did not look happy at all.

Even with Sascha playing Chivas looked slow and out of sorts. UCLA looked excellent considering it is only April.

2. edisongm

edisongm New Member

May 20, 2006
    a good match for ucla. they were alot quicker then chivas. ucla's outside half's...myers and leoplodo were always open and making pretty good run's. this year's spring match's should have given jorge a good idea of how good this team is...or should be next year. lot of talent, should be interesting.

3. SoccerPoodle

SoccerPoodle New Member

Aug 15, 2006
    LA
    Agreed. It sounds like you saw the game as well. What was your opinion of what was not going on with Chivas?

4. edisongm

edisongm New Member

May 20, 2006
    i talked to a couple of the chivas kids that played today and it sounds like they're still trying to figure out what makes the coach tick. they know they need to play hard but they're scared to make mistakes. of the players out there today i thought roro lopez showed very well. for the most part chivas was a step slow and didn't connect very well.

5. SoccerPoodle

SoccerPoodle New Member

Aug 15, 2006
    LA
    Lopez and Sasha were the bright spots for Chivas. The rest of the Chivas players looked very tentative. I hope they figure it out soon. I am a big fan of what Bradley did with the team last year. I hope that Preki can keep it all together.

UCLA looked very good. Considering the team MVP Zizzo was not playing they played well individualy and as a team. Salcedo has nothing to worry about in the coming season.

6. SoccerNation

SoccerNation New Member

Jan 9, 2006
    With this result, it is beginning to look like UCLA will be the real deal next year. It is expected as their College Cup final team of this year was a young one.
    How can a college team who is not currently in form, as it is spring season, so easily dismantle a professional side who is in season? Either UCLA will be amazing next year or Chivas USA were having a laugh.

Any word on Maxwell Griffin from UCLA? Is his ACL healed yet?

7. SoccerPoodle

SoccerPoodle New Member

Aug 15, 2006
    LA
    Maxwell was at the game but is not playing yet. He is fit, but still has a way to go for full recovery. Look for him to begin playing again this summer.

8. wanchope

wanchope New Member

Sep 26, 2006
    UCLA has posted good results against the Chicago Fire and the U- 20s this spring so I don't think the Chivas result was an abberation.

If Zizzo returns they will be extremely tough next fall. If he doesn't they will still be strong, particularly if Brandon Owens and Griffin return to form.

9. edisongm

edisongm New Member

May 20, 2006
    zizzo isn't going to school this quarter. he took it off to go to some trials with some teams in italy. don't know the names, but assume some 1st division ones.

10. SoccerNation

SoccerNation New Member

Jan 9, 2006
    If you don't mind my asking, how did you obtain this information?

11. edisongm

edisongm New Member

May 20, 2006
    talked to some of ucla's players and they mentioned it

12. Gaucho95

Gaucho95 Member

Dec 13, 2004
    Oakland, Ca
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany

Although it's a positive sign, let's not get carried away with the result. First, the "professional" side was the reserve team, they are barely in season, they have a new coach, the match had no meaning, and they almost assuredly have played less together as a team than UCLA.

Anyway, I think you're looking waaay too much into this match as a predictor of what is to come next year.

I would concentrate more on individual performances than on the result.

13. edisongm

edisongm New Member

May 20, 2006
    i agree with you. chivas reserves aren't the best of quality and are just learning how to play for their new coach. as for ucla, spring games are a long way... and way different from the ncaa's. time will tell if they've matured enough to go the distance.

14. SoccerPoodle

SoccerPoodle New Member

Aug 15, 2006
    LA
    While this game may have been meaningless, I doubt that Preki was happy about his reserve team being handled the way they were. This post was not meant to suggest that UCLA will win it all next year. They looked very sharp and frankly had more talent on the field, but it is a long season, and there is a tremendous amount of luck involved in getting to the final four in any sport.

The result made me wonder about how far the reserve system has come in MLS. Is it really better than staying in college? UCLA tied the Galaxy reserves 1-1 a couple of weeks ago. I just wonder why college players are so anxious to leave a system that can work so well under the right direction.

15. wanchope

wanchope New Member

Sep 26, 2006
    I agree that the opportunity for a player's development in the top college programs is underrated by most observers. Look at the immediate success that Wake Forest players who have stayed in school have had in MLS. That being said, UCLA offers a somewhat unique environment. Its program benefits from its proximity to two pro teams, a coach with a strong professional playing background, the chance to play with other quality players and great weather. Most schools can't offer that.

16. Beakmon FC

Beakmon FC Member+

LA Galaxy
    United States
    Jan 10, 2002
    The OC
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Probably because their ultimate goal is to be a professional. Why do so many basketball players, who will struggle to make an NBA roster, still declare for the draft every year? Because becoming a pro is a drema they've had since childhood. Besides, they're 19/20 years old...they're all impatient at that age.......:p

17. sitruc

sitruc Member+

Jul 25, 2006
    Virginia
    I agree with you, but the NBA and MLS are a little different...$$$$$.

18. polman

polman Member

Jul 22, 2005
    I understand both points of view. Players always think they'll be the "one" who makes it big oversea's or will star in a domestic league and make the big $$. On the other hand if you look at the facts, recent players who came out after a year or two, kids like Rogers, McCarthy, and others, are they really making any money vs their scholarship and bachelor's degree? Let's face it, the MLS at 20k or whatever paultry sum it is would have been there for them after their time in college and leaving with a Bachelors. I guess if any of them earn big $ the next couple years the move was right for them, but is that reality? It's not like either signed with Man U, Barcelona, or Real Madrid..

19. SoccerPoodle

SoccerPoodle New Member

Aug 15, 2006
    LA
    The problem may be that if UCLA can pummel a MLS reserve team, do you really get better playing at the reserve level? It is one thing to leave to pursure your dream, but if your dream includes getting better, does the reserve system provide that opportunity?

With little money on the table and competition that may not be better than the top college teams, why not stay in school and finish?

The MLS is putting out a much better product today than before. The league is getting exciting to watch. It may be that being stuck in the reserves is not the way to go.

20. Beakmon FC

Beakmon FC Member+

LA Galaxy
    United States
    Jan 10, 2002
    The OC
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Maybe because 'the consensus' is that college soccer isn't good for player development and that you are washed-up if you aren't a pro by age 20......;)

21. USvsIRELAND

USvsIRELAND Member+

Jul 19, 2004
    ATL
    Have you heard anyting else about this?

22. edisongm

edisongm New Member

May 20, 2006
    about zizzo being in italy...i'll try to get some more info on him and how's he's doing over there this sunday. there's a pdl team in ventura, ca. and 4 or 5 of the bruin's are going to be playing for them. i'll see what information the boy's are willing to give out

23. USvsIRELAND

USvsIRELAND Member+

Jul 19, 2004
    ATL
    Thanks.

24. Gaucho95

Gaucho95 Member

Dec 13, 2004
    Oakland, Ca
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    There are at least 3 Gauchos on that team as well; Avila, Perera, and Motagalvan. Two others tried out, but I don't know if they made the team. But it sounds like the majority of the starters will be UCSB/UCLA players. Leopoldo is one Bruin on the team.

25. SoccerNation

SoccerNation New Member

Jan 9, 2006
    Thats a long drive for Avila, is it not?
    He's from Chula Vista if im not wrong.