Pre-Game Thread: Sunday 4/29 Dynamo v Fire [R for last week's games]

Discussion in 'Houston Dynamo' started by anderson, Apr 22, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. anderson

anderson Member+

Feb 28, 2002
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Please use this thread for pre-game articles and discussion of players, tactics, field conditions, officiating, crowds, etc.

What/When

• Houston Dynamo hosts the Chicago Fire this Sunday, April 29, at 6:00 pm CT at Robertson Stadium.

Ticket Special

• And there's also a Family Four Pack deal for this game. For $59 -- four tickets, hot dogs, sodas. You can order here.

Virginia Tech

• The Dynamo will honor and aid the victims of the tragedy at Virginia Tech by auctioning off the special jerseys that they will wear for this game. This thread has all the information.

TV/Video

• This game will be televised by KTBU (Chan. 55), and will also be available on MLSLive.tv and the Direct Kick package.

Radio/Audio

• La Norteña (formerly Concierto), 850 AM and 101.7 FM, will broadcast the game in the Houston area in Spanish. They usually have a half hour pre-game show. They do not stream online.

Post-Game Parties

• The Mezz hosts the Texian Army post-game party. Everyone is welcome.

And the game...

• The official Dynamo site will probably have an article about the game toward the end of the week. That article will probably contain a link to a PDF game-day guide that will have projected starting lineups, rosters, stats, etc.

• Houston lost at NY on Saturday. The Dynamo now have four points after three games - one win, draw, and loss - having scored only one goal and allowed only one goal.

• Chicago has two wins and one tie, for seven points. They beat NE at home 1-0, tied 1-1 at Colorado, and beat KC 2-1 at home. Chad Barrett has scored two goals. Logan Pause and Chris Rolfe have each scored a goal. Rolfe also has three assists.

No Trolling. No Flaming.

2. FCLouie

FCLouie Member

Jan 4, 2006
    Houston, TX
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Re: Pre-Game Thread: 4/29 Dynamo v Fire [R for last week's games]

I think it might be a good time to throw out some numbers to compare this year to last. Because going into the fourth game last year it looked like the sky was falling.

table:
    Code:
    year	gp	w	l	t	pts	gf	ga	+/-
    2006	3	1	2	0	3	6	6	0
    2007	3	1	1	1	4	1	1	0
    stats:
    Code:
                             G   A  SHT  SOG   FC   FS  OFF   CK   C   E
    2006 Team totals         6   8   38   18   49   47   12   13   4   1
    2007 Team totals         1   1   34   10   49   49   10   10   4   1
    2006 Opponent totals     6   3   26   16   49   45    3   17   7   2
    2007 Opponent totals     1   1   37   14   49   49    2    9   4   1

There. That's where we were and where we are. Commentary in a bit.

3. zolafan

zolafan Member

Aug 10, 2004
    Houston, TX
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    i'm thinking option 4 could be a winner in this wk's poll...

4. lurking

lurking Member+

Feb 9, 2002
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Dom has 2 weaks to get the team sorted out. Good luck man.

5. zolafan

zolafan Member

Aug 10, 2004
    Houston, TX
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

try 8 days...

6. FigoTX

FigoTX Member

Feb 15, 2006
    H-town, TX

There's a timezone difference in coming back from NYC. It makes it feel like an additional week.

Or something.

7. dustcowpoke

dustcowpoke Member

Jan 7, 2006
    Houston, TX
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

I'm stoked because I'm going to this game. I'm less worried about the results and more worried about our play. We only have to be better than the worst fou teams to get into the play-offs.

8. newtex

newtex Member+

May 25, 2005
    Houston
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo

Doing better than the worst four teams won't quite be enough. 13 teams this year, we need to do better than five teams.

If my math is correct.

9. The Prophet

The Prophet Member

Sep 9, 2003
    Big P, Texas
    Club:
    SS Lazio Roma
    we cant score our defense is weak Dero does not care we have major problems. I see a tie or a lost. Chicago is a good team last year did beat us at home 1-0.

Either Dero gets on the ball or he gets shipped out this is a business and if you are not producing then you get fire or replace.

10. dustcowpoke

dustcowpoke Member

Jan 7, 2006
    Houston, TX
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    There is no replacement. We'd have to get Marioni, Scholes, Arteta, Diarra, or Lampard.

11. Cmack

Cmack Member

Jan 12, 2007
    Pearland
    I have no problem with Lampard coming over to the dynamo.

12. lurking

lurking Member+

Feb 9, 2002
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Ah, yeah, my bad.. was thinking we had a bywe week coming up.

13. FCLouie

FCLouie Member

Jan 4, 2006
    Houston, TX
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Okay, Daughter's birthday party's out of the way now, I can add some more. :eek:

(I don't know what this has to do with the Chicago game, but I think we need to see some numbers and think about what they mean. Otherwise, remember this is how I handle the stress of watching bad play, dive in the numbers...)

In this post the offense and defense is the total team effort at scoring and defending, not any given set of players. For the most part, the offense is the same as the one that started last year, with the addition of Dalglish. I think the only midfielder missing last year up to this point was Brad Davis, the rest were the same. The defense started with more or less the same group, parts were missing in the opening game but they were all back by this point.

Defense:
    Last year we got to the fourth game of the year riding a two game loosing streak. Our goal differential was zero, like it is this year but we had seceded six goals, not one. Although it may not seem to be the case, the defense is doing much better this year then last. They are doing a much better job of disrupting shots this year compared to last, the number of shots has gone up from 26 to 37 (!!!), but the shots on goal has gone from 16 to 14. Also, the number of corner kicks our opponents have had has been cut almost in half.

One has to worry about how we're getting that done. I know when I watch the defense in action I'm thankful we have a goalie like Onstad to cleanup for them. It seems like something's getting done though, so as long as we don't get into card or foul trouble we'll be okay.

Believe it or not.

Offense:
    The opposite of the above. Last year we were not only able to score more often, but we had a much higher percentage of shots be on goal then this year. We're taking almost as many shots this year compared to last , but the reduction in SOG basically means we aren't getting "as open" as we were last year. Opposing defenses seem to be clogging the area to keep the in-swingers from finding Ching in a good place. Trying to run at the goal is meeting the Ching-proofing and either loosing the ball or producing a bad shot. The interesting, and hopeful, thing is that our corner kick numbers are about the same as last year, which means we're actually getting engaging with the opposing defense and not just whacking the ball in the general direction of the goal. (Like our opponents seem to be doing.)

What we need is someone getting hot from the outside, like Clark can, to force the defenses into coming out further out. Another option is someone that creates out of almost nothing. Either way, I hope what we seem to be waiting for this summer, DP-wise, is good. Currently our offense is anything but good at the moment.

Who woulda thunk it.

14. FigoTX

FigoTX Member

Feb 15, 2006
    H-town, TX

Good stuff. The sky ain't falling...yet.

Must spread rep before giving rep etc etc.

15. FigoTX

FigoTX Member

Feb 15, 2006
    H-town, TX

Keep in mind that Ching only played the last part of the third game. So all Red Balls had to do was not let Moreno "sprint" by them and then let Braveheart dribble the ball out of bounds.

We'll sort this out. I trust in Dom.

16. Rooneys Hairline

Feb 21, 2007
    Austin, TX
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm thinking we should sign Pele circa 1970. If that falls through maybe we can genetically engineer a superhuman cyborg with a deadly left foot.

17. Cmack

Cmack Member

Jan 12, 2007
    Pearland
    If it helps us score goals, I am all for it.

18. TX Bill

TX Bill Member+

Apr 3, 2006
    Sugar Land TX
    Club:
    Everton FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Let's play Sesame Street's "Guess which one is not like the others" regarding the list above.

I'll go with Marioni.

And Arteta just stated on the Everton OS that he would like to get his future sorted as he's happy and is tired of the "Arteta to Atletico Madrid" rumors. He'll be staying.

19. FigoTX

FigoTX Member

Feb 15, 2006
    H-town, TX
    My only requirement is that when he kicks the ball he makes a sound effect like the $6 Million Dollar Man. That would be wicked.

20. anderson

anderson Member+

Feb 28, 2002
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    We have the technology.

21. The Prophet

The Prophet Member

Sep 9, 2003
    Big P, Texas
    Club:
    SS Lazio Roma

We can rebuild him.

22. TX Bill

TX Bill Member+

Apr 3, 2006
    Sugar Land TX
    Club:
    Everton FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    *cue Six Million Dollar Man theme music*

23. Bandido

Bandido Member

Apr 6, 2006
    Deperrosbravos N.L.
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
  24. TX Bill

TX Bill Member+

Apr 3, 2006
    Sugar Land TX
    Club:
    Everton FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Oh man !!!

That brought back memories. Thanks for posting that. I used to watch that show every week as a kid. I haven't seen that intro in over 25 years.

25. El Naranja

El Naranja Member+

Sep 5, 2006
    Alief
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States