Dynamo fundraiser for Virginia Tech

Discussion in 'Houston Dynamo' started by Dre00, Apr 18, 2007.

1. Dre00

Dre00 Member

Oct 12, 2005
    H-town
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  2. newtex

newtex Member+

May 25, 2005
    Houston
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    This is great.

I saw that the Washington Nationals wore VT hats for last night's game. I guess there will be a lot more of this kind of thing in the next few weeks.

I really like to see the focus what can be done for the victim's and their families rather than talking about the shooter.

3. Detective40oz

Detective40oz Member

Jun 16, 2000
    Fairfax, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Wow, a very classy move by the Dynamo. I have many friends that went to Tech and I've visited the campus many times myself it's unbelievable what happened. Lets hope that DC United will do something similar!

4. Offebacher

Offebacher Member

May 14, 2006
    Houston
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That will be a worthy cause.

[​IMG] Dynamo will wear these special jerseys in rememberance of those lost at Virginia Tech. (Houston Dynamo)

If we had those for sale I would buy one. Imagine the auction will raise some good money.

5. Rooneys Hairline

Feb 21, 2007
    Austin, TX
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That is a great gesture. Truly tragic and senseless waste of lives.

6. Bandido

Bandido Member

Apr 6, 2006
    Deperrosbravos N.L.
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    This is awesome, but I wish these type of tragedies wouldn't happen to our young people like they have been.
    Maybe we can pass the hat at our Tailgate and help the Dynamo help Virginia Tech. ease their loss.

7. SenorCool

SenorCool Member

Apr 10, 2006
    In a House
    Bandido, we passed the hat around last year for the Beaumont West Brook girls soccer team, who had a tragic bus wreck that killed two of their players and seriously injured others. I think passing the hat around both the TA and EB would be a great thing for us to do in an efforto to help ease the pain and suffering on the Virginia Tech campus. I will even volunteer my big hat and challenge everyon to fill Senor Cool's hat for Virgina Tech.

I think the jersey idea is great as well, and I applaud the Dynamo for doing so. I will be the first to bid on some jerseys, and hope that Gorley doesn't run the price up out of my range.

8. Bandido

Bandido Member

Apr 6, 2006
    Deperrosbravos N.L.
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    I support your nomination.:cool:

Anyone opposed?? :mad:

9. Blu N Houston

Blu N Houston Member

Apr 8, 2005
    In your head!
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    We have a big heart in Houston... always have, always will.
    :D

10. Doctor Woo

Doctor Woo Member

Nov 5, 1999
    Newport, OR
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    OK, gang, I am duly impressed. From an old Hokie, you already have a headstart on things with the orange. Just add the maroon permanently and you will really have something going.:D

For the curious, the official school colors are Chicago Maroon and Burnt Orange.

Go Hokies Go! For one night, the Dynamo is my team, then back to United.

11. CeltTexan

CeltTexan Member+

Sep 21, 2000
    Houston, TX USA
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Simple enough we go with the Maroon top, and then our normal white shorts and our Orange Socks.

Maroon/White/Orange= Virginia Tech colors on the night.

All for respect as well. Rock on Dynamo!

12. *rey*

*rey* Member+

Feb 22, 2006
    Houston
    i don't want to be insensitive about this issue, so say "no" if you think its a bad idea.

how would TA feel about doing maroon/orange streamers for this night? discuss.

13. SenorCool

SenorCool Member

Apr 10, 2006
    In a House
    What if we go one further and wear maroon that night to show our support? I know Dre probably has some maroon shirts he can loan out. Maroon streamers might be viewed in bad taste, but if we are wearing maroon, that might work, since the Dynamo are wearing maroon that night as well.

14. Doctor Woo

Doctor Woo Member

Nov 5, 1999
    Newport, OR
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Not at all. Maroon streamers, bring 'em on! If the idea is to be glum, it doesn't sound fun at all. Honestly, bring the streamers, bang the drums, and show some solidarity with Hokie Nation, at least for one night. Do the Hokie cheer.

Hokie, hokie, hokie, hi!
    Tech Tech VPI
    Solarex, solarai,
    Polytech Virginia
    Ray! Rah! VPI!
    Team! Team! Team!

(Cheer known as "Old Hokie", circa 1867)

Edit: Being a Hokie is probably a whole lot like being an Aggie.

15. stagnant

stagnant Member

Jul 22, 2006
    Houston, Texas
    This is a nice gesture by the Dynamo... unfortunately I fear it could come with a bit of self promotion. The full jerseys in VT colors is just a bit too much in my opinion.... thats all it is... my opinion.

I would much rather the team wear a special patch and sell those to the fans as well as the game jerseys along with any other but of fundraising we can do.
    To me a fitting analogy would be businesses and the like who after September 11 seemingly got into battles of who can be the most patriotic. Waving the biggest flag dosen't mean you love this country more than someone with a smaller flag.

I don't want my comments to be construed as not being sympathetic to the cause or what happened. I think the Dynamo are doing this with all good intentions, but I also simply think the gesture of wearing their colors attracts more attention than is necessary. The team should not be doing this with any desire of getting more media coverage for the team out of it.

In Houston we are far too removed by distance from Blacksburg to go over the top with our show of support. I support what the Dynamo are doing... I just hope what the team will be doing just under two weeks after the tragedy does not reflect badly upon the Dynamo as being opportunistic.

How would you feel if something this terrible happened at your school and a soccer team thousands of miles away decided to show support by wearing the school colors and the fans to throw streamers in that color? To some it would be nice and a touching tribute, while others may find it offensive.

16. brahmafutbol

brahmafutbol Member+

Jan 29, 2006
    East Bernard, Texas
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I would agree if they were selling the jerseys. But they're auctioning them off, 100% going to VT. And I don't think lots of people are going to buy tickets just to see the different color jerseys. So, yes, I think it's a great gesture.

17. nobius

nobius BigSoccer Supporter

Jan 3, 2006
    Houston, Texas
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I like the idea of maroon streamers (if they are readily available), but I'm not even sure if I have a maroon shirt.

18. FuBoy

FuBoy Member

Mar 12, 2003
    Houston, TX
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'll only run up the price if you're there in person to piss you off. Oh, and I need 3 everclear margarita's to warm me up (if the ladies are to much ********** to want to finish their drinks). Heheh. Just don't bid me up on the Mullan jersey.

19. Hungryjack

Hungryjack Member+

Jul 8, 2006
    Houston
    The only maroon shirt I own says "Rent a friend - Join a frat"

20. Dre00

Dre00 Member

Oct 12, 2005
    H-town
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If the New York Yankees had worn Maroon pin stripes in 99 after Bonfire fell and auctioned off the jerseys to help support the people who were injured and the families who had died, I would have been ecstatic. Honestly, I think you are looking at this through some very cynical glasses. That said, I don't know how I feel about the maroon streamers. It could either be very touching or very inappropriate...there's no in between.

And yes, I have a few maroon t-shirts if we want to go that route (about 5 or so) but they are all XL. I know Marquez has a few too.

21. bvolt3000

bvolt3000 New Member

Sep 9, 2006
    Nashville
    dont usually come to the houston forums
    but i read about this in the DMN just now
    classy imo 2 thumbs up, houston (dont get used to me complimenting you tho lol)

22. JBohland

JBohland New Member

Feb 6, 1999
    As a Tech professor who lost a student yesterday, I don't consider it at all offensive. We appreciate any help at the moment and as many positive vibrations as we can get. This is a very nice gesture and we do appreciate these things. Don't overthink it.

23. fc koshigaya

fc koshigaya Member

Jul 14, 2005
    Saitama City,Japan
    Club:
    Omiya Ardija
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Classy gesture on the part of the Dynamo franchise.

Hope you raise a ton.

Is there any info yet on sending donations if you're not at the game? Will the Dynamo set up something or is this a one-off thing?

Either way, nice job.

24. Bandido

Bandido Member

Apr 6, 2006
    Deperrosbravos N.L.
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    I think that every Supporter's Group through out the MLS could ask fans at their next two matches for donations it would be awesome. Hoops Nations can help VT in that way.

When these bad things happen, it affects everyone of us. and you feel you need to do something. giving money and wearing Maroon will not bring back the precious life that was lost, but it will make us feel we showed our solidarity with the Virginia Tech. community.

Prayers for them will be nice too.

25. El Naranja

El Naranja Member+

Sep 5, 2006
    Alief
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Linky

No mention on exactly when the on-line one will be...we'll be sure to let you guys know.

Thanks dude. Now you may go back and talk your weak smack about us ;)

From the entire Texian Army and El Batallon, I send you our thoughts and prayers. Hopefully we'll be sending some fat money up there to help you guys out. Our thoughts and prayers go out to the families, staff, students, and alumni as well.