Argentine Source: Guillermo Barros-Schelotto to Columbus Crew

Discussion in 'MLS: News & Analysis' started by Autogolazo, Apr 9, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Autogolazo

Autogolazo BigSoccer Supporter

Feb 19, 2000
    Bombay Beach, CA
    http://www.tycsports.com/notas.php?id=28524

$2M/year for two years (or $2M for two years--it's vague--I'm assuming the latter, but I'm not certain)

The only condition is that he gets to say goodbye to Boca fans in the Superclasico against River this wknd.

Some local publicity contracts to sort out.

2. FC Matt 90

FC Matt 90 New Member

Aug 1, 2006
    Philadelphia
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Would he be playing with Columbus soon, or is he not going to be able to play until July like Becks and Blanco?

Good for Columbus

3. Autogolazo

Feb 19, 2000
    Bombay Beach, CA
    An earlier interview with him said he wouldn't be available until June 30th, but if River is his last game, you figure he wouldn't be waiting around for nearly 3 months....

4. smokarz

smokarz Member+

Aug 9, 2006
    Hartford, CT
    please pardon my ignorance, but could you give us some backgrounds on this guy such as age, position played, experience, etc.

5. maxpepper

maxpepper Member

Jan 29, 2006
    Chicago, IL
    Club:
    CA Boca Juniors
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    what he won in boca:

* Apertura 1998, 2000, 2003 and 2005
    * Clausura 1999, 2006
    * Copa Libertadores 2000, 2001 and 2003
    * Intercontinental Cup 2000 and 2003.
    * Copa Sudamericana 2004 and 2005.
    * Recopa Sudamericana 2005 and 2006.

Hes a support striker , an attacking midfielder or a winger.

6. m vann

m vann Moderator
    Staff Member

Colorado Rapids, Celtic FC, & Louisville City
    Sep 10, 2002
    Denver, CO
    Club:
    Celtic FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Guillermo_Barros_Schelotto

Hope this helps! BTW his twin brother Gustavo plays for the USL's Puerto Rico Islanders.

7. churchill2000

churchill2000 3x MLS Cup Champions

Jul 12, 2004
    Monde Virtuel
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Solid signing. Hopefully the Boca fans in Columbus come out.

8. wolfp10

wolfp10 Member

Sep 25, 2005
    Crew fans...

Is there a significant Argentinian population or Boca fans in Columbus?

9. Autogolazo

Feb 19, 2000
    Bombay Beach, CA
    To describe him as an idol at Boca Jrs. would be a vast understatement.

Best position a wing in a 4-3-3 or maybe a withdrawn forward.

Imagine a guy with the scrappiness of Brian Mullan but the skill of a somewhat older Andres Guardado. Works his way in from the touchline. Great shooting touch. A couple years ago, I saw a performance of his in Copa Libertadores in Brazil in the rain that left me speechless it was so ballsy and talented.

10. ritsoccer86

ritsoccer86 Member

Jul 18, 2005
    haha, crew is screwed...haha that rhymes!!

he's just another old player looking to cash in..

11. DaniCrew

DaniCrew Member

Nov 15, 2000
    Tallmadge, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Y dale Boooo...

"El Melli" will have a lot to get used to here (and many of our fans will have to get used to him)... he's one of those types of players who is loved by his fans (at Boca) but one who also drives the opponent's fans absolutely insane... he is a cunning sort of player who knows every little trick in the world to get an advantage... i happen to love this guy and i hate Boca (i'm a big River fan)... but if you're the type who is easily bothered by dives and other "antics", this guy will drive you crazy... he will win you games (note the PK he earned for 9-man Boca in the waning moments last March against 10-man River after having come on as a late substitute):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5il7inyTRlU

This actually got Boca a point (they were down 1-0 at the time)... was it a PK??? who really knows... but the guy did his job...

Anyway... to me Guillermo is all heart and all personality... he has some ability, for sure... but he's one of these guys who was born to play soccer... it's in his blood... but i'm just not sure how he'd adjust to the rather impersonal and, dare i say, lifeless game on the field in MLS (although i saw some signs of this changing this weekend)... and i'm also just not sure how he would react to not being able to walk out to this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oECc1O8FNnU
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4TEZ1vNP02g
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WBE8TY-DHhU

12. Asprilla9

Asprilla9 Member

Dec 15, 2000
    Beaverton, OR
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    as always i will believe it when i see him in a crew kit... but if so, i'm glad to see Clark Hunt spending some cake.

this is an odd signing though i must say ('odd''s really not the right word, moreso, 'unexpected'). going through his bio, it looks like this guy has been the absolute cock of the walk in Buenos Aires for the last 15 or so years. he even has his own biography published. so, to go from all that to virtual anonymity in Columbus, Ohio ... seems a bit odd.

but i hope it works out for all parties involved.

13. Autogolazo

Feb 19, 2000
    Bombay Beach, CA
  14. Autogolazo

Feb 19, 2000
    Bombay Beach, CA
  15. elrene019

elrene019 New Member

Dec 31, 2006
    Glendale, CA
    Like you said, I'll believe it when I see it...in regards for him to come here, it would not surprise me. One thing I have noticed about about players in Latin America, they like to change environments and become virtual unknowns because it helps make their families safer. Kidnappings of player's family members in Latin America is not uncommon because almost everybody knows who is related to which athlete, and if the player is able to move his family away from the constant fear of kidnapping, they'll take the opportunity. So if this guy is under this mentality, I completely understand the move...let's also hope he gives it his all.

16. Calexico77

Calexico77 Member

Sep 19, 2003
    Mid-City LA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I know you might think it's a stretch, but it sounds like another player that Sigi scouted out and brought to MLS - Ruiz. Hopefully he'll take to MLS in a big way.

GOOD LUCK, CREW FANS!!!

17. BobyOne

BobyOne Member

Apr 22, 2004
    Houston, TX
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  18. midwestsurfer

midwestsurfer New Member

Jun 7, 2005
    Honolulu~Tulsa
    Haha, or maybe they just read this?

An interesting signing. Never heard of the guy myself, but I am not a soccer know it all, especially with south america. Sounds like an interesting acquisition.

Hope it can help the attack.

19. philsoc

philsoc Member

Jul 11, 2000
    South Florida
    I seem to recall that DPs can only be a 1 or a 3 year deal (that was one of the hangups with Blanco.)

20. tkgunn

tkgunn Member

Nov 18, 1998
    NJ
    1,3 or 5. Beckham's deal is for 5 years.

21. Penta_redded

Penta_redded Red Card

Apr 2, 2007
    I remember seein this guy when chivas played boca in the quarter finals of the libertadores in '05. Real good solid player, ive also seen him play a couple games last year and one this year. Seems like most of you dont know who he is but you guys wont be dissapointed, im surprised he said yes to crew :).

22. scaryice

scaryice Member

Jan 25, 2001
  23. uclacarlos

uclacarlos Member+

Aug 10, 2003
    east coast
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    Any direct "Boca Effect" would be felt in NY, LA, NE, DC. There's really not that many Argentines in the States.

I see this as more of talent signing primarily and "short-term/long-term respect amongst South Americans" signing, kinda investing in MLS' image abroad in order to recruit talent. I'm really guessing though.

The Crew have had really good teams the last 3 years, they've just never had a striker. This is the type of player who wreaks havoc in the box and sets ppl up. Just a run of the mill MLS starting striker would suffice.

24. peteo

peteo Member

Jun 19, 2002
    Daly Citay, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If finalized, fantastic news for Columbus and Argentine fans, even the non-Boca Juniors fans, yeah? :cool:

25. CHI_TOWN_BALLA

Dec 24, 2006
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Considering how the whole world seems not to know what the DP means yet :rolleyes: this should bring some good media coverage, from other places. Im glad were bringing in talented players, to raise the level of play in the league (which is what I think we should be doing now) BUt yea, im happy for da Crew! CONGRATZ! :D