Galaxy vs Rangers Wed. May 23rd

Discussion in 'LA Galaxy' started by mbar, Mar 28, 2007.

1. mbar

mbar Member+

Apr 30, 1999
    Los Angeles, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I didn't see this posted...

I'm not big on friendlies but I guess credit where credit is due, at least our bonus tickets aren't for crap matches like Fresno Fuego and Dallas Roma FC...

From an e-mail:
    The Los Angeles Galaxy will host one of the world's most storied teams, Glasgow Rangers FC, on Wednesday, May 23rd at 7:30pm. This will be Bonus Game #2 for Full Season Ticket Holders who also have the opportunity to purchase extra tickets at the STH discount for the game.

This Scottish powerhouse has been around for 135 years and have won 51 league titles and 1 European Cup. They are led by Manager Walter Smith and his Assistant Ally McCoist and top players Barry Ferguson, Gavin Rae, Dado Prso & David Weir.

Galaxy Mini-Plan holders and Opening Day buyers can purchase their seats at their discounted rate before they go on public sale (April 16th).

This is the 1st time the Galaxy will host a Scottish team and the Galaxy are proud to offer this game to Season Seat holders and fans.

2. thespian89

thespian89 Member

Aug 22, 2006
    AS Roma? I'd take them over Rangers. Did you mean Dallas Roma FC?;)

3. mbar

mbar Member+

Apr 30, 1999
    Los Angeles, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    CAught me!

I fixed the original post

4. howie1976

howie1976 Member

Feb 2, 2007
    Galaxy Nation
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I echo the comments regarding the quality of the bonus game opponents! The Rangers are a great and storied team that will put on a great show.:)

On another note, why aren't we all season ticket holders receiving emails with this information?:mad: I haven't reeived anything. Is it because some ticket reps are better than others?

5. CSUFstewie

CSUFstewie Member

Feb 27, 2006
    Placentia, CA
    I have not received anything either. This is that whole communication thing between the fans and the FO that we have been gripping about. Ah well <sigh>

6. CSUFstewie

CSUFstewie Member

Feb 27, 2006
    Placentia, CA
    The game is confirmed. I just got off the phone with a ticket rep and it is a bonus game for season seat holders. He said emails will not go out, but we should be getting a letter announcing the game soon.

7. mbar

mbar Member+

Apr 30, 1999
    Los Angeles, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    odd, I assumed we all got the e-mail.

Maybe my ticket rep has grown fond of all my complaining.

8. Shopping Cart Man

Sep 21, 2006
    Jacksonville, FL
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I honestly thought that SuperLiga would be the beginning of the end of these friendlies.

These days, the matches do little more than fatigue the players involved, because (IMO) we're no longer trying to prove anything to anyone with them. Energy should be spent on having our clubs dominate this hemisphere in meaningful competition, not play European clubs in mid-season tours.

On the other hand, how many Celtic fans live in LA?

9. projectx

projectx New Member

Feb 2, 2007
    Los Angeles
    Yeah the quality of the friendly opponents have gotten a lot better, as have the bonus games. Good to see the Galaxy movin' on up :D

10. avocats

avocats Member

Nov 24, 2003
    Pacific Northwest
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    . . . because snail mail is so much cheaper and more effective? Does anyone in the FO know it's 2007??

Did anyone get e-mail? Is there a listserv we're supposed to sign up for?

11. convergecrew

convergecrew New Member

Jan 17, 2007
    Los Angeles

im gonna sow my galaxy and celtic kit together and wear that to the match. hopefully Rangers wont feel so welcome here in the states! ;)

12. Rangers Rob

Rangers Rob Member

Mar 30, 2007
    United States
    Club:
    Glasgow Rangers FC
    :rolleyes: :D

Planning on flying in from New Hampshire for this, not often I get to see the Gers in the flesh. From my understanding there will be a section set aside for Rangers supporters (read it on the North American supporters site). Waiting for more info...

13. Rangers Rob

Rangers Rob Member

Mar 30, 2007
    United States
    Club:
    Glasgow Rangers FC
  14. Rangers Rob

Rangers Rob Member

Mar 30, 2007
    United States
    Club:
    Glasgow Rangers FC
  15. StillKickin

StillKickin Member+

Austin FC
    Dec 17, 2002
    Texas
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I hope this one is televised.

16. Rangers Rob

Rangers Rob Member

Mar 30, 2007
    United States
    Club:
    Glasgow Rangers FC
    Match wise, you are probably right, but promotion wise these matches do a great deal to help the MLS in both exposure and reputation. The more MLS sides play European teams, and the closer they are able keep the score, the better the MLS will look to those outside of the American fan base. Matches like these also help boost ticket sales for the club, when Celtic played the Revolution last season they drew upwards of 35,000 people, the Revs usually only draw 11,000. Also, for Gers fans this provides a rare opportunity to see our boys over here, I'd imagine a great number of Rangers supporters are going to fly in from all over the US to see this match as they don't come over here often.

17. howie1976

howie1976 Member

Feb 2, 2007
    Galaxy Nation
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I agree with everything you said except one thing: "the closer they are able to keep the score..." You got this totally wrong. My Prediction: Final Galaxy 2 Rangers 1 :D We'll know in about two months which one of us has it right.

18. Rangers Rob

Rangers Rob Member

Mar 30, 2007
    United States
    Club:
    Glasgow Rangers FC
    That was supposed to be a generalized statement in regards to MLS vs. European teams, not necessarily this game specifically. My point was that it benefits the MLS when their teams are able to be competitive against (or beat, for that matter) their European opponents, see Celtic's trip to the MLS last year (lost to DC United, tied New England) or Chelsea vs. the MLS All-Stars.

19. howie1976

howie1976 Member

Feb 2, 2007
    Galaxy Nation
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I know what you meant and I agree 100%! I just wanted to let you know the score before hand.:)

20. Rangers Rob

Rangers Rob Member

Mar 30, 2007
    United States
    Club:
    Glasgow Rangers FC
    Thanks for saving me $600 and a five hour flight. :p :D

21. howie1976

howie1976 Member

Feb 2, 2007
    Galaxy Nation
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    No problem! I like helping fans save money. I'd even tell you who scores, but at least I want you to look forward to something!:D

22. TrickHog

TrickHog Moderator
    Staff Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Los Angeles, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    In this case, the Rangers game has been scheduled during May, where we only have 3 league games b/c our schedule is back loaded for maximum Beckham exposure. It's that Chelsea game in July that really crowds the schedule.

23. Anteaters FC

Anteaters FC New Member

Mar 28, 2004
    Santa Monica
    Now why hasn't Topper posted in here yet? ;)

I probably won't go to the game, but if I did I would finally have a good reason to buy a Celtic kit.

24. McWeedy

McWeedy New Member

Mar 30, 2007
    As a Rangers fan i'm looking forward to this game, especially with the LA Galaxy's profile being raised in the UK since you signed Beckham. Should be a great match and I wish your club and league the best for the future.

However I am very surprised at any American showing support for Celtic with their attitude towards your country. The singing of terrorist IRA songs during the 9/11 silence and aeroplane actions aimed at Claudio Reyna when he was with the club spring to mind.

Here are those two events on youtube, these are only 2 of many such disgusting displays by Celtic. :mad:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FFhrN5ZyRQk
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vFtKuFAt6vk

25. Anteaters FC

Anteaters FC New Member

Mar 28, 2004
    Santa Monica
    There are lots of Celtic fans in America.

And there are sections of the Rangers support that are also big a-holes, as there are among Celtic supporters.