Kasey Keller says MLS doesn't want him

Discussion in 'MLS: News & Analysis' started by keller4president, Mar 22, 2007.

1. keller4president

Jan 5, 2006
    Go listen to the Kasey Keller interview on ussoccer.com.

http://podcast.ussoccer.com/03-22-2007_Keller.mp3

At the end of the interview, the questioner asks Kasey what club he thinks he will be at next year. Kasey says he was in talks with MLS in January and February to move back to the States come the summer transfer window. But he goes on to say that talks with MLS have since gone sour and he believes that they don't really want him anymore. He's going to play the season out with Borussia and then decide whether or not to stay with them.

My take: If Borussia manage to stay in the Bundesliga, I think Keller stays another year with them. But in the more likely event they go down, Kasey will look to jump ship to a different Bundesliga team, or possibly go to the Premiership to compete for a starting position with one of the promoted teams.

I'm guessing the disagreements between Kasey and the league are all about salary. I'm sure MLS would love to have him back, but I don't think any team in the league would be willing to pay more than $200,000 for him, and certainly wouldn't use a DP slot for him.

Even Ronald Watterus, a former Dutch National Team Keeper, (who's also a year younger than Kasey) is only making about 150,000 for the Redbulls. With the abundance of American goalkeeping talent, teams just aren't going to pay Kasey what he thinks he deserves.

Hopefully they will be able to reach a compromise, I could see him going to Toronto, Chicago, Colorado, Houston or Dallas.

2. AndyMead

AndyMead Homo Sapien

Nov 2, 1999
    Seat 12A
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Once again, no players play for MLS.

Players play for teams.

If no teams really want Keller at a salary that Keller is willing to play for then it won't happen. I really don't think any team want's to use a DP spot on a goalkeeper. It's not like we grow keepers on trees here.

Short of Seattle being in the league, Keller is going to have to be willing to play for around $300k or less if he wants a job in MLS - and then a team will have to be both willing to pay that, and have the salary cap room.

But the main point of my post is that players don't sign with and play for MLS. MLS owns player contracts, and puts the stamp of approval on them, but the teams themselves are responsible for player acquisition.

In the case that more than one team wants a high profile allocation/discovery type player, the league will get involved, but the question is what team would be willing to pay Keller what Keller wants?

3. scaryice

scaryice Member

Jan 25, 2001
    He's well worth the maximum salary.

4. AndyMead

AndyMead Homo Sapien

Nov 2, 1999
    Seat 12A
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    To which team?

Sure, he'd be an upgrade to any keeper in the league - but which team wants to spend that kind of cap space on a keeper? That's the question.

I don't see any team willing to use a DP for a keeper.

And seriously, what salary would Keller realistically be willing to settle for?

Keller was negotiating with MLS during an era when there were players earning more than the max salary on a case by case basis. But now that those players are going "on the books", I think you'll see teams being far more careful about approving salaries in the DP range.

5. golazo68

golazo68 Member+

Dortmund
    United States
    May 21, 2004
    Brazil
    You KNOW Keller wants Reyna money ($1m a year). Unfortunately, I don't see why any team should give him that either.

So, side me with MLS. $300,000 Kasey or try your hand in Europe, I'm afraid.

6. mbar

mbar Member+

Apr 30, 1999
    Los Angeles, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    QUOTE SCARYICE: He's well worth the maximum salary.

Why?

in a league where you only have so much salary to go around would you spend $300k on a keeper when you can spend $60k on a keeper that gives you 95% of what keller does and has the upside of youth...

7. wolfp10

wolfp10 Member

Sep 25, 2005
    Bruce Arena could use that 2nd DP spot...

8. deron

deron New Member

Jul 25, 2006
    Centennial, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I hope Chicago signs him.

9. onefineesq

onefineesq Member+

Sep 16, 2003
    Laurel, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Nail on head. spending max salary on Keller is stupid.

10. eubh223

eubh223 New Member

Feb 4, 2007
    Irvine, CA
    Absolutely right. I never understood all the hype about Keller... I don't think he should've been the keeper in the last World Cup... it's time to focus on youth again... Hahnemann is the #1 rated keeper in the EPL and Howard isn't far behind.

I'm not saying Keller didn't play well... I'm just saying that I don't think he offers anything to MLS at this point in his career.

Why he was called up for the upcoming matches is beyond me. We have guys like Perkins in MLS who deserve a shot too.

11. FoxBoro 143

FoxBoro 143 Member+

Jan 18, 2004
    MA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Did Kasey ever play in MLS? I'm pretty sure he didnt. I could be wrong and I dont feel like researching it.

12. USvsIRELAND

USvsIRELAND Member+

Jul 19, 2004
    ATL
    ^^^ What he says.

No keeper is worth max salary or a DP in this league.

13. ritsoccer86

ritsoccer86 Member

Jul 18, 2005
    keller is wayyyy past his due. sorry

14. Mountainia

Mountainia Member

Jun 19, 2002
    Section 207, Row 7
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Off the mark by a wide margin.

The problem is that Keller is too good, and thus too expensive for MLS teams.

He would probably be the best keeper in MLS for a number of years were he to come, but he can almost surely get two or three times as much somewhere in Europe.

I wish him luck. He's certainly earned our support over the years.

15. Beez

Beez Member

Dec 20, 1999
    He never played in MLS. Friedel did, but Keller didn't.

16. mcnaulty21

mcnaulty21 Member

Feb 6, 2007
    Wisconsin
    Club:
    Fulham FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    They have no need for him. Pickens has earned his #1 spot and they just brought Busch into camp. As much as I'd like to see Kasey inbetween the pipes for Chicago, they don't need him.

17. Eliezar

Eliezar Member+

Jan 27, 2002
    Houston
    Club:
    12 de Octubre
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Keller is still in great form. He probably would be a top 3 keeper in MLS for the next 3 years.

Still, with the salary structure and the quality of keepers I do not think Keller for 325k or more on the cap is as good of a value as say a Perkins, Zach Wells, or well how much does Reis make?

In this sense I also think that Cannon costs too much, but anyway.

Its about impact per dollar and for that Keller wouldn't lead MLS.

18. arsynic

arsynic Red Card

Jan 2, 2007
    Santa Barbara
    keller is our best keeper ever, no doubt. but MLS doesn't need him, nor should any teams spend their DP on him. We have a noveau rich heritage of gking, even in mls. the one position we never will have to worry about fulfilling. so why take one who needs a max salary at the end of his career, when what sell tickets are attacking players? this is coming by a gk himself btw

19. monster

monster Member

Oct 19, 1999
    Hanover, PA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Remember also, that Kasey is also probably asking to play in specific places. Maybe the teams he'd like to play for aren't willing to use their DP slot on him.

20. paladius

paladius Member

Sep 27, 2003
    Frisco, Texas
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Joe Cannon's the only keeper worth really big money in MLS. There are just way too many good netminders from America. No reflection on Kasey, but we just plain don't need him, and he's getting older so his skills will diminish anyway.

21. Zoidberg

Zoidberg Member+

Jun 23, 2006
    From the looks of things the Rapids need a keeper. Fat Zach looked horrible verus Valencia. They should have picked up Busch. KK is not worth the big $$$.

My thought from KK's statement. He asked for a lot and a few cities. They all said no and KK says MLS doesn't want me. Makes sense.

22. Tobas

Tobas Member

Jul 22, 2004
    Littleton, MA
    Good call on Cannon, the highest paid keeper (at one point anyway). Using the washington post database, I grabed the highest paid GK for each team before last season. It seems foolish for a team to go over 200,000 for a keeper with the salary cap.

Code:
     Pos   	 Player   	 	 Base Salary   	 Guaranteed Salary
     GK  	 Cannon, Joe  		 $172,000  	 $172,000
     GK  	 Onstad, Pat	  	 $160,000  	 $160,000
     GK  	 Hartman, Kevin  	 $150,000  	 $158,000
     GK  	 Meola, Tony	  	 $125,000  	 $125,000
     GK  	 Thornton, Zach  	 $120,000  	 $120,000
     GK  	 Walker, Jonny  	 $110,000  	 $110,000
     GK  	 Garlick, Scott  	 $100,000  	 $106,667
     GK  	 Rimando, Nick  	 $96,800  	 $102,800
     GK  	 Reis, Matt  		 $100,000  	 $100,000
     GK  	 Sala, Dario  		 $90,000  	 $90,000
     GK  	 Guzan, Brad  		 $47,250  	 $62,250
     GK  	 Oshoniyi, Bo  		 $60,000  	 $60,625

23. profiled

profiled Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 7, 2000
    slightly north of a mile high
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    They still can pick up Busch who was waived by TFC.

24. AndyMead

AndyMead Homo Sapien

Nov 2, 1999
    Seat 12A
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Under the current DP program and salary cap, this is 100% correct.

25. art

art Member

Jul 2, 2000
    Portland OR
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    FWIW the idea of Keller not coming back to MLS because he wants more money than anyone is willing to spend on him is speculation, unless anyone has hard facts. I havent seen that.

It does seem logical though.